/forum/topic/969329/528

1       2       3              528      
       530              698       699       end

ulrikft2
Total Posts: 2096

Sony nex-7 + contax-g zeiss 45/2:

Adam211
Total Posts: 498

I need something wider. I'm looking recommendations for a ~35mm full frame equivalent. I want a lens great at something. That could be sharpness, bokeh, price, etc. I'm just looking for interesting options. Otherwise, priorities are lightweight, cheap, and fast. Quality should be good, doesn't need to be great. That's a lot to ask, so I'm willing to compromise.

Currently thinking the G 28 or the Rokkor 28 f/2.8. G 28 for its weight and quality, Rokkor for its rendering and price. Would love something faster, but don't want to carry around a brick either. CV 28/1.9 seems nice on paper but way too expensive. Any thoughts?

Went through archives and liked this one:
NEX 6 + G 45

Park benches seem so cliche, but I still love pictures of beautiful places to sit.
Rokkor 58/1.2, probably f/2

New niece. People pictures are so hard--focus and color. I really bombed DOF and focus for most shots of her.
Rokkor 58/1.2, probably f/2

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2340

Some today with a newly arrived Tilt/shift Nikon-Nex adapter. 25 and 21 2.8 ZF Distagons on 5N;

Manganese glass

Mike

mawz
Total Posts: 7648

The Planter by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, CV 35/1.7 Ultron

mawz

Adam211 wrote:
I need something wider. I'm looking recommendations for a ~35mm full frame equivalent. I want a lens great at something. That could be sharpness, bokeh, price, etc. I'm just looking for interesting options. Otherwise, priorities are lightweight, cheap, and fast. Quality should be good, doesn't need to be great. That's a lot to ask, so I'm willing to compromise.

Currently thinking the G 28 or the Rokkor 28 f/2.8. G 28 for its weight and quality, Rokkor for its rendering and price. Would love something faster, but don't want to carry around a brick either. CV 28/1.9 seems nice on paper but way too expensive. Any thoughts?

The CV 28/1.9 is a real pain to focus on Mirrorless bodies, not enough contrast, especially wide open. Otherwise a great rendering and sharp lens. I liked mine as an RF lens but not so much on mirrorless. It's also on the larger side for an RF 28.

My suggestions would be to go for a compact and inexpensive SLR 24. The three that immediately come to mind are the Nikkor 24/2.8, the Olympus 24/2.8 and the Sigma Super-Wide II 24/2.8. All are very good, small to very small (the Nikkor, largest of the three, is the same size as the Zeiss ZA E 24/1.8 when mounted on an adapter) and can be had for under $200. A 28 will be longer than a 35 equivalent, being a 42-43mm-e on APS-C. For those I'd recommend the Oly 28/3.5 or a Pentax-A 28/2.8 for compact, inexpensive & good.

Going to RF lenses will necessarily increase the cost, the only bargains in RF lenses are older 35mm and longer lenses or the Contax G lenses (which handle poorly on mirrorless)

hiepphotog
Total Posts: 848

NEX-7 + Nikon 24/1.4

Sandia Peak Ski Resort - Second longest aerial tramway in the World

VaughnA
Total Posts: 88

I went out for a walk today with the Nex7 and the 30mm Sigma. I've owned quite a few lenses in the last few years including highly regarded primes by Pentax and some fine Nikon zooms. I think that the SIgma 19 & 30 are as sharp as those lenses. Not quite the color pop but they still blow my mind.

But this one doesn't show the performance. I just liked the look of this one right out of the camera on monochrome mode. Too shallow DOF and terrible light actually worked IMHO.

Then I got home and saw a little bluebird in a redbud. Went in and grabbed my 40+ year old Takumar 200F4. The Nex7 should not be considered a camera as much as it is a digital back..

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5618

Playing with an old Tele-Elmar-M 135 wide open.

MRosth
Total Posts: 75

NEX-7 with 35mm F1.8 OSS by MRosth, on Flickr

NEX-7 with C/Y 50mm F1.4 by MRosth, on Flickr

NEX-7 with C/Y 50mm F1.4 by MRosth, on Flickr

NEX-7 by MRosth, on Flickr

NEX-7 by MRosth, on Flickr

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

Lots of great pics! Mcbroomf - great architectural shots. MRosth - love the final BW snow scene.

FDn 35/2:

Railway walk-over by specularist, on Flickr

MRosth
Total Posts: 75

Thx Alan,

Love the last one

mawz

Bee by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, Micro-Nikkor 85/3.5 VR DX

alwang
Total Posts: 1017

Two with the Macro-Elmarit 60, the second one a stitch:

perpendicular by alwang, on Flickr

turquoise by alwang, on Flickr

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

New ebay lens! Canon FDn 24mm f2.8, excellent condition, for $60. Online reputation as less sharp/contrasty than its f2 sibling, but from first impressions I can't imagine it being much better. The F2 goes for upwards of $400...

Not a test, just a few snaps - from RAW, on old NEX-5, vignette & unsharp mask added, minor crops & perspective adjustment.

Wide open @ 2.8:

Boat mooring, Horgan's Quay, Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr

f5.6, I think:

Railway yard wall, Horgan's Quay, Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr

f5.6 or f8, with random OOF stranger - plenty of (corrected) moiré in this one, showing that the sensor is being comfortably out-resolved:

Kennedy Quay, Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr

Jim Schemel
Total Posts: 4809

alan_m - The Fd lenses are very good.They are just not as cool looking as some of the others but optically they perform very well.I really like #2
-Jim

A few today with Leica Summaron 35

Nex Barker
Total Posts: 70

Buggy

CronoDL
Total Posts: 127

Brooklyn Bridge by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

wfrank
Total Posts: 2886

alwang wrote:
Two with the Macro-Elmarit 60, the second one a stitch:

turquoise by alwang, on Flickr

Now that is a rarity (!), a Chevrolet Corvair Coupé from around -63, arguably the most controversial US car from that era. Rear-mounted air-cooled flat-6 cylinder engine. Sort of an american answer to the VW Beetle. Sad to see it in this shape :-)

alwang
Total Posts: 1017

wfrank wrote:

Now that is a rarity (!), a Chevrolet Corvair Coupé from around -63, arguably the most controversial US car from that era. Rear-mounted air-cooled flat-6 cylinder engine. Sort of an american answer to the VW Beetle. Sad to see it in this shape :-)

This particular one was at least two miles deep in a dense, mature forest- it must have been there for decades.

A couple more from the same location, all with the Leica 60:

muscle car by alwang, on Flickr

horseshoe stump by alwang, on Flickr

timber by alwang, on Flickr

mawz

Das Fence by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro Adaptall-2

1       2       3              528      
       530              698       699       end