NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/523

1       2       3              523      
       525              699       700       end

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1482

As i do not use a calibrated monitor i am happy if people with calibrated monitors tell me about problems with my pictures, but the script has a brightness value of 72 (were black is 0 and white is 256) so it should be readable.
It is meant to be unobtrusive, so that those who are interested in it can read it and those who are not wouldn't notice it. I used to post even more detailed infos with more obtrusive script (see above) but i found that it was distracting from the image.

Nex Barker
Total Posts: 72

Another classic 35er: the Schacht R Travegon 35/3.5 with Exakta-Mount. Nex 7

sebboh
Total Posts: 10300

rscheffler wrote:
Derek, I really like those. It reminds me a bit of what I have gotten out of the old 50/1.5 Summarit on the M9. On the NEX-7 it will probably look like mush though wide open. Might be worth trying the CV40/1.4 if you like the 35 Lux look but want to keep the price reasonable. I guess you can never have enough 35/40mm lenses, can you?

50/1 Nocti on NEX-7 - doesn't really show off the Nocti w/o character... but this lens surprised me somewhat by how 'normal' it can behave...

yeah, the SA characteristic reminds me a lot of my jupiter-3, though i think the jupiter produces harsher edges on blur discs and the lux definitely seems to have more resolution under the glow than the jupiter. not sure how your summarit would compare.

is that noctilux shot wide open? that seems like a lot more dof than i'd expect. i feel like the noctilux would probably retain some of it's character for portraits, but not much else on aps-c.

regarding the two cv f/1.4s i haven't shot with either, but i've never been thrilled with what i've seen from the 35mm. the 40/1.4 on the other hand looks very nice to me, but in every comparison i've seen i prefer the look of my 40 cron over the cv, so i'm in no rush to try the cv.

to be honest i think i actually prefer the look of the 40 cron to the 35 lux too, but i have shoot them next to each other to be sure. i know the cron is sharper and contrastier over most of the frame though and am prettier sure the lux will do better across the frame at infinity. sometime soon i guess i will be doing a zeiss/leica comparison 35/1.4s and 40-45/2s.

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4874

The Nocti shot is wide open. It's not mine, and only had the chance to use it during a meet-up photo-walk in an urban setting without any portraiture, so probably not a situation to show off its characteristics in that respect. I was also primarily fixated on using the M9 during that meeting, so really didn't do much with the NEX. A characteristic that is retained on APS-C is some SA wide open, which probably softens focus transition at this distance and closer. BTW, I also found it to be quite sharp wide open at infinity. APS-C definitely crops out the strong corner vignetting and cat's eye blur circles one gets on FF.

I really like what you've been posting over time with the 40 Cron, to the point where I will probably get one, or the Minolta version, if I find one at a good price. It's such a tiny lens with what I find to be interesting character. I think I'd be more inclined to get it over one of the 35 Cron versions.

I mentioned the CV40 because it seems to share some SA qualities of the 35 Lux pre-ASPH, meaning it will render a softer look than the 40 Cron, but the Lux probably has gentler background rendering. The CV also probably isn't as unique as the Olympus 42/1.2. I haven't used the CV35/1.4, but also haven't been that impresed with what I've seen from it. I primarily got the 40/1.4 because of its tendency towards strong/busy blur circles.

The 50/1.5 Summarit I've only used on the M9. Wide open it's quite low in contrast and only has reasonable center sharpness. But my copy has also apparently been 'serviced' and I'm not sure it was put back together with proper optical calibration in mind. I have some shots from it on the Leica M thread: here, and with a CV40 comparision shot, here and here

I think all of those had a fair amount of contrast boost in order to present a fairly normal tonal range. One good thing about its low contrast in full sunlight it will barely blow out highlights wide open at 1/4000 & ISO 160 on the M9. With modern glass I would have to shoot at around f/2.8. This tonal compression seems to work well with the M9's narrower dynamic range. I also see this to some extent with the Nikkor SC 5cm f/1.4.

Here's another 50 Nocti shot wide open where you probably wouldn't have guessed it was at f/1

90 Summarit:

sebboh

zhangyue wrote:
Derek, Yes, I do. But that 35cron is a very lovely lens. It (8 element) might be most sought after Leica lens now days. I got it accidentally because I love my rigid cron. and they two happened at about same time. The lens is small with high build quality. In the same camera fair, one guy ask $4000 with OBM without google. I have to say it is overrated as well, though it is a very sharp lens leave out the extreme corner. Even at f2, it is decent most of frame. Another great 35mm is Sammron with similar build as this one. at f2.8, I heard it is better than Cron V1.

I will try to find a time that we can have a half day or one day photo walk. I will shoot you a PM if I do. I seems remember you guys have a photo meet up sometime last year bay area. Now it is spring time, can we do a one day like that?

Most of time my weekend is booked by my kids but I will for sure try to join such a meeting this time if we have another one. Maybe a new thread?

yeah, i was looking for a version I 35 cron because of the build before i fell in love with the 40 cron and decided the price difference wasn't worth it. i didn't realize prices had gotten that high. i've always been on the lookout for a cheap summaron, but i'm not willing to spend much on a lens i won't use much (f/2.8 eek).

the SF meetup never really panned out with everybody's schedule, maybe another attempt would be good. like you most of my weekends are spent with kids. things are further complicated by the fact that my wife usually has to work weird hours on weekends. my free time for photography usually appears at random unpredictable times.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5659

Forgive me if this is stating the obvious, but since you have kids and you like to take pictures of your kids, why not meet up at kid-friendly environment and take pictures of your kids with each others lenses? There are two zoos, countless parks, and I hear there are even beaches where kids are allowed to run freely and burn off some of their energy. Alternately, there's Alcatraz, where you could threaten to leave them should they act-up. Just a thought.

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

Another attempt for a meetup would be good. I took a shot and failed, so I'll defer to someone else to make it succeed this time!

I think the best chance is for someone *nudge* to step forward to take the lead, privately get one other person to agree with you on a time & place, then publicly announce it for anyone else who wants to join. That way at least it will happen with the original two people, anyone else who shows up are just bonus people

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1482

I think i overused the clarity slider on this one:

the cellar of "my mill", i wouldn't have thought that they used such medieval technology 130 years ago, when it was built:

i fear it won't last another 130 years . I only discovered it last spring, it is less than 2 kilometers from were i live.

the millpond:

Jim Schemel
Total Posts: 4809

Phillip - I like the Light in #2.Looks like you have a lot of interesting objects in there to isolate.
-Jim

NEX 7 / Summaron

mawz
Total Posts: 7713

photoomaha wrote:
Jim, love the feel of your cat image. Has a certain mystery to it. Adam, wow, how sharp is that!!

Thanks, I'm amazed at just how good the 85 Micro is, a seriously under-rated lens compromised solely by its pedestrian speed (f3.5) and a significantly too-short focus throw making accurate focus difficult.

inglis
Total Posts: 328

Contax CY 28-85 at 85mm with Canon Metabones Speedbooster on Nex 5n,
somewhere around f5.6 or 8

Jim Schemel
Total Posts: 4809

Inglis - nice shot.Nice to see another Buckeye putting up shots.How do you like the speedbooster?
-Jim

freaklikeme

sebboh wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
sebboh wrote:
i'm having fun shooting dreamy landscapes at f/1.4 with the 35 lux:

i'm sure i'll move on soon.

To f/2? You're getting some great stuff with it. I find it to be a very easy lens to love. That's one of the reasons I'm dragging my feet on getting the wobble checked. I'm not sure I want anyone mucking around with it.

I'm finding the Pen 42 to be a little bit more of a puzzle. The only thing I've determined so far is that it's a much better lens stopped down than either the 25/2.8 or the 60/1.5. Wide open, though, I've yet to get anything that isn't a complete mess.

i think f/2 is probably the sweet spot for portraits on the lux, so i have done that a fair bit. i'm a bit confused by the lack of brightness change between f/1.4 and f/2 compared to my other f/1.4 lenses. i wonder if it has to do with the nex-7 sensor and what is basically a fast near symmetrical wide angle design?

Sure, sounds plausible. I do know that stopping down to f/2 on an M9 really only effects the amount of vignetting and sharpens the corners up a bit, so maybe it is constant in the center until the aperture blades are closed further in. Once we've swapped back, I'm thinking of of renting a VG900 to see how it does on Sony's FF. I'd love it if that lens could transfer to a FF NEX.

f/2's the portrait sweet spot on the 7, I agree, but I have used f/1.4 for environmental couple portraits and it's very effective for a dreamy look that isn't entirely soft at a distance. The bokeh can get a little distracting if you get too close (as evidenced to the extreme in your macroish shot).

sebboh wrote:
regarding the pen 42mm, my advice for shooting wide open: don't ever focus then recompose, always focus with the exact framing of the shot already positioned, pay attention to oof parts as you frame and focus as they can change dramatically with small changes in framing, and finally my dirty little secret about many of the images i post with that lens put the subject dead center of the frame and then crop for a more pleasing composition (it helps justify having 24mp too).

Oh, yeah. I'm very familiar with crop framing from the 58/1.2. I think part of the problem is that I'm not a big fan of the bokeh wide open and close up, which was true of the 60 as well. It's going out nightshooting with me this weekend, so we'll see how it goes. I am happy I got to borrow yours, since I'm feeling now like it's not the lens for me. It's a much cheaper way to find that out, so thanks for that. It sounds like you're starting to feel that way about the Lux. I'll be interested to read about your 35-45 comparison.

Here's the color shots of the copper building.

freaklikeme

And here's an abstract with the 35.

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2715

Derek, whenever I have time for photo walk in SF, I will PM you. But no pressure, you can judge from your schedule.

Brad, I like you humor, but don't you think two big man chasing three kids with camera on hand in park looks funny I even worry to lose my little one if I am too obsessed, he is extreme fast.

Jocab, it is a nice idea to have another orgernized in Bay Area. I always want do a day of foto walk in Big sur and Monterey area. Leave early in the morning, back at night. Is now good season?

Sorry to hajak this thread, I will start a new one if you guys want a meet up later.
From iPhone. Sorry for typo.

sebboh

zhangyue wrote:
Derek, whenever I have time for photo walk in SF, I will PM you. But no pressure, you can judge from your schedule.

cool.

zhangyue wrote:
Brad, I like you humor, but don't you think two big man chasing three kids with camera on hand in park looks funny I even worry to lose my little one if I am too obsessed, he is extreme fast.

yeah, i don't think i can handle meeting new people, taking serious pictures, and preventing my 2 yr old from having a breakdown/killing herself all at the same time. i'm lucky if i can handle number 3 on that list without the other two.

zhangyue wrote:
Jocab, it is a nice idea to have another orgernized in Bay Area. I always want do a day of foto walk in Big sur and Monterey area. Leave early in the morning, back at night. Is now good season?

that sounds wonderful, and probably ambitious.

freaklikeme wrote:
Oh, yeah. I'm very familiar with crop framing from the 58/1.2. I think part of the problem is that I'm not a big fan of the bokeh wide open and close up, which was true of the 60 as well. It's going out nightshooting with me this weekend, so we'll see how it goes. I am happy I got to borrow yours, since I'm feeling now like it's not the lens for me. It's a much cheaper way to find that out, so thanks for that. It sounds like you're starting to feel that way about the Lux. I'll be interested to read about your 35-45 comparison.

Here's the color shots of the copper building.

that last one looks like it could be the intro scene to a vampire movie. very nice.

wrt the pen, i really like it's bokeh at mfd, but not so much at portrait distances (except in very evenly lit circumstances). stopping down to f/1.4 actually helps quite a bit though and f/2 even more.

yeah, i really like the unique look of the lux wide open but i think the 40 cron fits my shooting better so hopefully this'll save me some money. the only danger is if/when a FF NEX comes out my opinions about merits of the two lenses may shift.

anyway some pics:

35 cron on some nikon cameras, taken with the 50 lux pre-asph wide open (that i momentarily stuck on my camera at a camera fair:

and some more with the 35 lux wide open.

rainbow flare:

"leica glow":

a small stitch:

and a shot at f/2:

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2715

Derek, that is the one! 35cron V1 lovely Which camera fair you are referring to:
This one? http://photofair.com/ I was there for a hour and half. and bought my 2nd 50cron rigid.

The 'Leica glow' is great.

Can't hijack this thread again.

Here are some photos took with NEX7 with kit lens.

Suzhou China

Hangzhou China

sebboh

zhangyue wrote:
Derek, that is the one! 35cron V1 lovely Which camera fair you are referring to:
This one? http://photofair.com/ I was there for a hour and half. and bought my 2nd 50cron rigid.

yep, freaklikeme and i were both there actually. didn't buy anything though.

last portrait of my daughter for a little while, i promise 35 lux:

mawz
Total Posts: 7713

Donkey Kone by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, Sony 16/2.8

inglis
Total Posts: 328

Jim
Just experimenting at the moment. I have not used a full frame for 12 years, so using lenses close to FF on a Nex is exciting, especially at the wider end. Vignetting is an issue with lenses where the last element is some distance from the sensor (the designer, Brian Caldwell, says an exit pupil distance of more than 80mm can cause vignetting). The Contax CY 35-70 works very well. The CY 28-85 has some vignetting.
John

1       2       3              523      
       525              699       700       end