521              686       687       end

jojomon11
Total Posts: 6969

^ Alan last shot is spectacular the colors really pop

Can I sign up for the workshop?

Phil

photoomaha
Total Posts: 306

Just finished up with an engagement session this morning. I am still struggling a bit while shooting people with the Nex system. At least on the Nex 6, trying to adjust shutter speed is a huge pain in the rear. I continually push the dial too hard and end up adjusting the ISO. Huge pain. I really, really wish we could swap the aperture dial with the shutter dial. I hardly ever use the top dial. Any one else wish for this?

twelveish
Total Posts: 85

photoomaha wrote:
Just finished up with an engagement session this morning. I am still struggling a bit while shooting people with the Nex system. At least on the Nex 6, trying to adjust shutter speed is a huge pain in the rear. I continually push the dial too hard and end up adjusting the ISO. Huge pain. I really, really wish we could swap the aperture dial with the shutter dial. I hardly ever use the top dial. Any one else wish for this?

Oh yes indeed. If it weren't for what you're describing I would have upgraded from my 5n in a heartbeat. For legacy lenses it just doesn't seem worth it. Bummer.

bcaslis
Total Posts: 720

photoomaha wrote:

This is why I bought the NEX-7 instead of NEX-6 last month. For the controls. I use aperture mode 90% of the time so the top dial is pretty wasted for me. I would have liked better high ISO and the PDAF focusing, but the controls were a show stopper for me.

lumis beans
Total Posts: 176

Love that engagement ring idea^.

I am diggin' high ISO on this camera as a snapshooter. I'm coming from a T2i. Not that it's a terrible camera, but ISO-wise, it's like being let out of a newspaper-lined cage.

zombii
Total Posts: 1062

bcaslis wrote:
photoomaha wrote:

This is why I bought the NEX-7 instead of NEX-6 last month. For the controls. I use aperture mode 90% of the time so the top dial is pretty wasted for me. I would have liked better high ISO and the PDAF focusing, but the controls were a show stopper for me.

Maybe you should have looked a little closer before you made that choice. On the NEX-6, the thumb dial underneath the mode knob shifts function depending on whether it's in Aperture priority or Shutter priority mode. In aperture mode, it adjusts the aperture. In shutter mode, it adjusts the shutter speed. The problem that photoomaha had would only happen in Manual mode. Even then, with a reasonably gentle touch, the problem he had would not occur. Having had all three bodies, I would rank them as follows:
Ergonomics:
1. NEX-6
2. NEX-7
3. NEX-5N

Imager noise:
1. NEX-5N
2. NEX-6
3. NEX-7

The NEX-7 obviously wins the resolution ranking but do you really need 24 MP when you suffer with high ISO noise and problems with wide angle edge color issues?

Overall:
1. NEX-6
2. NEX-5N
3. NEX-7

IMO, the NEX-7 is overrated and suffers because Sony let the marketing department convince them that a big resolution number was more important than high ISO performance. If Sony comes out with a a FF NEX and the high ISO performance isn't comparable with cameras like the Canon 6D or Pentax K-5, they will be making a huge mistake and they won't sell one to me.

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1023

Zombii,

I have a NEX 7 and NEX 5N and I prefer the sensor on the 7.

Per pixel noise is higher on the 7, but when I downsize the NEX 7 files to be equivalent to the NEX 5N files, I barely see any noise advantage to the 5N files. This was discussed at great length in these forums when the NEX 7 came out. Dynamic range is better on the 7.

sebboh
Total Posts: 9659

Jeff Kott wrote:
Zombii,

Per pixel noise is higher on the 7, but when I downsize the NEX 7 files to be equivalent to the NEX 5N files, I barely see any noise advantage to the 5N files. This was discussed at great length in these forums when the NEX 7 came out. Dynamic range is better on the 7.

yeah, i prefer the dynamic range and color of the 7s sensor. i also like having 24mp for landscapes.

zombii

Jeff Kott wrote:
Zombii,

Jeff,
I've read all those opinions and I tried it myself, both downsizing the 7 and upsizing the 5N and I could still see a significant difference either way. Go out and shoot them at ISO 6400 in low enough light that requires that ISO to get a reasonable shutter speed and it becomes very clear.

Rod

zombii

sebboh wrote:
Jeff Kott wrote:
Zombii,

yeah, i prefer the dynamic range and color of the 7s sensor. i also like having 24mp for landscapes.

If you're making very large prints and you're able to shoot at lower ISO's, I would agree. Your primary usage is definitely a key factor but for if you shoot much low light and you rarely make very large prints, the 6 is a better choice IMO.

sebboh
Total Posts: 9659

zombii wrote:
Jeff,
I've read all those opinions and I tried it myself, both downsizing the 7 and upsizing the 5N and I could still see a significant difference either way. Go out and shoot them at ISO 6400 in low enough light that requires that ISO to get a reasonable shutter speed and it becomes very clear.

Rod

i'd agree with this, i have trouble making the 24mp sensor match the 16mp sensor for high iso. perhaps i just need to use different downsizing/noise reduction algorithms though. i've not spent much time perfecting that.

p666
Total Posts: 26

Sigma 19mm

bcaslis
Total Posts: 720

zombii wrote:
bcaslis wrote:
photoomaha wrote:

Maybe you should have looked a little closer before you made that choice. On the NEX-6, the thumb dial underneath the mode knob shifts function depending on whether it's in Aperture priority or Shutter priority mode. In aperture mode, it adjusts the aperture. In shutter mode, it adjusts the shutter speed. The problem that photoomaha had would only happen in Manual mode. Even then, with a reasonably gentle touch, the problem he had would not occur. Having had all three bodies, I would rank them as follows:
Ergonomics:
1. NEX-6
2. NEX-7
3. NEX-5N

Imager noise:
1. NEX-5N
2. NEX-6
3. NEX-7

The NEX-7 obviously wins the resolution ranking but do you really need 24 MP when you suffer with high ISO noise and problems with wide angle edge color issues?

Overall:
1. NEX-6
2. NEX-5N
3. NEX-7

IMO, the NEX-7 is overrated and suffers because Sony let the marketing department convince them that a big resolution number was more important than high ISO performance. If Sony comes out with a a FF NEX and the high ISO performance isn't comparable with cameras like the Canon 6D or Pentax K-5, they will be making a huge mistake and they won't sell one to me.

Actually, I did look very close and for me the NEX-7 was better. It's fine if you prefer something else, but please don't tell me what is good for me. I don't have very wide rangefinder lenses so I have no color issues. I prefer to not shoot at ISO 6400, so the low ISO performance of the sensor easily outshines the other NEX cameras. I know exactly how the NEX-6 works. I love how you can press the AF/MF button and switch to manual focusing. Oops, you can't, only have these buttons on the NEX-7.

alba63
Total Posts: 517

(...)
Dynamic range is better on the 7.

Yes indeed, dynamic range on the Nex-7 is amazing, you instantly notice it when you use it. Big difference to the Nex-5N and of course to the Canon 5d and such. It also seems to be a real useable DR, not just a reserve that it hidden in the deepest shadows. High ISO noise is not something very important to me, I generally find this to be quite overrated these days. I also think that optimizing cameras for ultra high ISOs will have an impact on low ISO quality and colour reproduction.

Cheers
Bernie

zombii

bcaslis wrote:
zombii wrote:
bcaslis wrote:
photoomaha wrote:

Ergonomics:
1. NEX-6
2. NEX-7
3. NEX-5N

Imager noise:
1. NEX-5N
2. NEX-6
3. NEX-7

Overall:
1. NEX-6
2. NEX-5N
3. NEX-7

Actually, I did look very close and for me the NEX-7 was better. It's fine if you prefer something else, but please don't tell me what is good for me. I don't have very wide rangefinder lenses so I have no color issues. I prefer to not shoot at ISO 6400, so the low ISO performance of the sensor easily outshines the other NEX cameras. I know exactly how the NEX-6 works. I love how you can press the AF/MF button and switch to manual focusing. Oops, you can't, only have these buttons on the NEX-7.

That's fine but your post sounded like your decision was based on photoomaha's experience. If you actually handled a NEX-6 and you prefer the 7, that's fine. Oh, if you set up the Fn button options on the NEX-6, you can make the AF/MF switch in two button presses.

zombii

alba63 wrote:

(...)

Yes indeed, dynamic range on the Nex-7 is amazing, you instantly notice it when you use it. Big difference to the Nex-5N and of course to the Canon 5d and such. It also seems to be a real useable DR, not just a reserve that it hidden in the deepest shadows. High ISO noise is not something very important to me, I generally find this to be quite overrated these days. I also think that optimizing cameras for ultra high ISOs will have an impact on low ISO quality and colour reproduction.

Cheers
Bernie

Please post comparison images that demonstrate the DR differences to a meaningful degree.

legaltrouble
Total Posts: 290

sebboh wrote:
Jeff Kott wrote:
Zombii,

+1. 24 mp is better for any photo that needs a crop, and isn't shot at ISO 6400.

uhoh7
Total Posts: 1887

@philip wonderful snow shots

@Taylor those sb+elmarit shots a few pages back so Impressive, I had to research the speed booster. OMG, have I been out of the loop! If only such a thing were possible for M glass :-(
Jim Schemel wrote:
Twelevish - Great use of available light!
Jim

+1

So, now I have to find a Kern Switar 50 mm F1 .9? Now, what does that turn into on a nex with speed booster?

taran
Total Posts: 291

delray 2.7.134782ebw by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Voigt 58 SLIIN, NEX 7, wide open

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1270

zombii wrote:
alba63 wrote:

(...)

Cheers
Bernie

Please post comparison images that demonstrate the DR differences to a meaningful degree.

+1
I used them together for a while and didn't notice a practical difference, never shot a direct comparison though.

1       2       3              519      
       521              686       687       end