NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/515

1       2       3              515      
516
       517              697       698       end

LightShow
Registered: Aug 03, 2009
Total Posts: 4912
Country: Canada

Paul Yi wrote:
My brother asked me to buy Nex for him...

I have used nex-5N before, but I'd like to get him either Nex-6 or nex-7.

which is a better one....?
For a casual snaps and travel....

Unless he really needs the extra resolution, the 6 should be a better fit.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10063
Country: United States

Phillip Reeve wrote:
sebboh wrote:
i'd forgotten how ugly baby herons are.

one more heron with the leica R 350mm:

meanwhile in Germany:



nice! it looks almost like you pasted that gbh into the picture.



lumis beans
Registered: Mar 15, 2007
Total Posts: 209
Country: United States

The blimp is in town. Birds confused.



alwang
Registered: Sep 02, 2011
Total Posts: 1007
Country: United States

Sony 35/1.8


dental work by alwang, on Flickr


trailhead by alwang, on Flickr



alan_m
Registered: Jun 21, 2012
Total Posts: 231
Country: N/A

Very nice monochromes Lumis & Alwang!

Last of the Canon FDn 35/2 shots for a bit, while I see if any of my wider & tele combos can compete:


Kennedy Quay & South Jetty, Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr


Kennedy Quay, Port of Cork, Horgan's Quay, Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr



Railway warning by specularist, on Flickr





taran
Registered: Mar 02, 2012
Total Posts: 358
Country: United States

@alwang, nice to see some samples from the 35mm 1.8, thanks for sharing. That lens looks like a winner. May I ask your impressions so far?

@sebboh, its amazing the range of habitat the gbh calls home. What an incredible bird! I like the muted winter tones very much in your shot.



Jacob D
Registered: Mar 30, 2009
Total Posts: 1757
Country: United States

Phillip Reeve wrote:
hehe, i was reading the site from the bottom up an knew those pictures were yours after the third one, typical contrast, color and saturation. nice set btw.

Am I that obvious? Guess so.


Derek, the blimp shot is great!



alwang
Registered: Sep 02, 2011
Total Posts: 1007
Country: United States

Thanks, taran and alan. I'm still getting to know the 35/1.8, but overall I'm pretty happy. I'm still waiting to shoot a stopped-down scene with detail across the frame, which would be more telling. It definitely doesn't have the microcontrast of my Contax G lenses, but the resolution is there. I'm noticing a fair amount of CA even stopped down to f2.8, but it's easily cleaned up in lightroom.

The handling is great: very light, decent manual focus feel, and the OSS is fantastic. I still can't get used to AF on the NEX, and I haven't found settings that work well for me.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10063
Country: United States

alwang wrote:
Thanks, taran and alan. I'm still getting to know the 35/1.8, but overall I'm pretty happy. I'm still waiting to shoot a stopped-down scene with detail across the frame, which would be more telling. It definitely doesn't have the microcontrast of my Contax G lenses, but the resolution is there. I'm noticing a fair amount of CA even stopped down to f2.8, but it's easily cleaned up in lightroom.

The handling is great: very light, decent manual focus feel, and the OSS is fantastic. I still can't get used to AF on the NEX, and I haven't found settings that work well for me.


AF sucks on the NEX if you're used to having fine control over what the camera focuses on.

on a related note, does anybody know if it's possible to turn off the autozoom when you turn the focus ring without turning off the ability to zoom in at the push of a button.



lumis beans
Registered: Mar 15, 2007
Total Posts: 209
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:

on a related note, does anybody know if it's possible to turn off the autozoom when you turn the focus ring without turning off the ability to zoom in at the push of a button.


I'd love to know that myself.



ebookman
Registered: Jul 15, 2012
Total Posts: 606
Country: United States

alan_m -- Love the night shots

It finally stopped raining long enough to walk around the harbor. These shots are all taken with a Nex 5n and g 90 lens.



Taylor Sherman
Registered: Mar 26, 2012
Total Posts: 1052
Country: United States

Wow! That seagull shot.



zhangyue
Registered: Jan 28, 2011
Total Posts: 2643
Country: United States

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Wow! That seagull shot.

+1, It is really great. it will be even greater with some minimal PP to lift a little shadow and sharpening.



Jabberwockt
Registered: Aug 22, 2011
Total Posts: 557
Country: United States

Excellent shots with the G90. Love the signature of the whole G series.



Jim Schemel
Registered: Oct 18, 2006
Total Posts: 4802
Country: United States

Ebookman - I agree great seagull shot! The harbor shots are nice as well.
Jim



eric hagemann
Registered: Nov 21, 2006
Total Posts: 328
Country: United States

Nex 7, 21/4 Voightlander Color Skopar, GND and 3 shot HDR combined









Paul Yi
Registered: Dec 10, 2004
Total Posts: 5258
Country: United States

freaklikeme wrote:
Sounds like the higher resolution of the 7 wouldn't be necessary, Paul, so unless there's a compelling reason for your brother to have the tri-nav wheels, I'd go with the 6.


Thanks for the kind input...
Resolution aside, which one has a better IQ ...?
Also, does Nex-6 handle the super wide 3rd party lens better than Nex-7?



Paul Yi
Registered: Dec 10, 2004
Total Posts: 5258
Country: United States

LightShow wrote:
Paul Yi wrote:
My brother asked me to buy Nex for him...

I have used nex-5N before, but I'd like to get him either Nex-6 or nex-7.

which is a better one....?
For a casual snaps and travel....

Unless he really needs the extra resolution, the 6 should be a better fit.


Would you kindly share which aspects of Nex-6 is better than the Nex-7?



Jeff Kott
Registered: Oct 12, 2008
Total Posts: 1113
Country: United States

Paul Yi wrote:


Would you kindly share which aspects of Nex-6 is better than the Nex-7?


Price
Corner performance of RF lenses 35mm and wider
file sizes



LightShow
Registered: Aug 03, 2009
Total Posts: 4912
Country: Canada

Hey Paul,
Resolution aside, which one has a better IQ ...?
A complicated answer, both, the 7 if you don't use wide lenses that cause color shift or smearing, and if you keep the ISO below 1000,
otherwise the 5N, 5R, & 6 will have better IQ with the least PP required.
Also, does Nex-6 handle the super wide 3rd party lens better than Nex-7?
For the most part yes, The 7 shows some color shift on just about every WA lens that I've seen, some better than others, even on some Sony lenses.
Color shift is relatively easy to cure using Cornerfix or similar programs, when there is smearing, the lens is more or less useless.
Would you kindly share which aspects of Nex-6 is better than the Nex-7?
The EVF may be improved somewhat according to reports, RF wide performance, standard hotshoe, I don't think I've heard of any grips peeling on the 6, I'm not sure if Sony eliminated that problem with new 7's at the source.

Most owners love the extra resolution, dynamic range and extra controls of the 7, but hate the color shift and high ISO noise.
The 6 so far hasn't had any serious flaws that I've seen or heard about, and a lot of 7 owners wish it had the features the 6 has.(sensor & hotshoe)







1       2       3              515      
516
       517              697       698       end