NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/512

1       2       3              512      
       514              700       701       end

taran
Total Posts: 368

@Jim Schemel, that minimalist stuff is out of control. Very enjoyable.

I enjoyed all the urban nightscapes on 512. I don't know how you all get artificial light to look so good, but consider yourself lucky.

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

taran wrote:

+1 Great stuff, bold and brave processing!
taran wrote:
I enjoyed all the urban nightscapes on 512. I don't know how you all get artificial light to look so good, but consider yourself lucky.

Er, just point & click. ;-) Actually, the in-cam jpgs for mine were an orange mess (sodium in fog gets very orange), but on the raws I dialled down towards blue, dialled up the contrast against veiling/flare, and just played about a little until they looked good. More typical night shots from a clearer night, NEX-5 + Canon FDn 35/2:

South Jetty, Kennedy Quay, Port of Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr

Horgan's Quay, Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr

taran
Total Posts: 368

alan_m wrote:
Er, just point & click. ;-) Actually, the in-cam jpgs for mine were an orange mess (sodium in fog gets very orange), but on the raws I dialled down towards blue, dialled up the contrast against veiling/flare, and just played about a little until they looked good. More typical night shots from a clearer night, NEX-5 + Canon FDn 35/2:

I would still get orange mush.

Again, those are awesome nightscapes alan, high intensity discharge lights are my nemesis, lol

LightShow
Total Posts: 5017

taran wrote:

alan_m wrote:
+1 Great stuff, bold and brave processing!

Yes, great stuff Jim, looking forward to the next ones.

taran wrote:

alan_m wrote:
Er, just point & click. ;-) Actually, the in-cam jpgs for mine were an orange mess (sodium in fog gets very orange), but on the raws I dialled down towards blue, dialled up the contrast against veiling/flare, and just played about a little until they looked good.

taran wrote:

Again, those are awesome nightscapes alan, high intensity discharge lights are my nemesis, lol

Getting the WB right helps a ton, with mixed lighting I try to stay as natural as possible, make white lights look white, and dial back the orange a bit.

Phillip Reeve wrote:
[my first ever moonshine pics, i am not totally happy with them

freaklikeme wrote:
The obvious answer is to drink more moonshine.

Was thinking the same thing....

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1489

LightShow wrote:
Phillip Reeve wrote:
[my first ever moonshine pics, i am not totally happy with them

freaklikeme wrote:
The obvious answer is to drink more moonshine.

Was thinking the same thing....

yeah, make fun of the non native speaker

BA-photos
Total Posts: 123

A couple of pictures with Nex-5N and Contax G45

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

LightShow wrote:

taran wrote:

alan_m wrote:
Er, just point & click. ;-) Actually, the in-cam jpgs for mine were an orange mess (sodium in fog gets very orange), but on the raws I dialled down towards blue, dialled up the contrast against veiling/flare, and just played about a little until they looked good.

taran wrote:

Getting the WB right helps a ton, with mixed lighting I try to stay as natural as possible, make white lights look white, and dial back the orange a bit.

I'm not a white balance purist, I think sodium-lit scenes should be a little orange for a natural look. But city lights + fog or low cloud can get very orange!

Midnight Rendez-vous on Marina (River Lee), Cork, Ireland by specularist, on Flickr

philber
Total Posts: 7462

Jim, really inspiring stuff! Some of your best IMHO.
BA-photos, I dig your two pics!

mawz
Total Posts: 7806

Creek & Field by Mawz, on Flickr

NEX-7, Sony 16/2.8

Jim Schemel
Total Posts: 4809

Thanks to all for your kind words.
-Jim

Here are a few today taken during a snow storm.Both are with Leica Summaron 35 / Nex 7

roseblood11
Total Posts: 4

Two great shots! The first one reminds me of Saul Leiter's work

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1489

I tried my new Minolta MC 300/5.6 for the first time, my observations:

• contrast ist pretty low
  • ...as ist microcontrast
  • significant PF
  • 300mm are pretty hard to handhold

After some PP i like the results, nice zoo-tele.
    My Ai-S nonED Nikkor 300/4.5 has better contrast and less PF but it is more unwieldily.

• VaughnA
    Total Posts: 88

All I have to say to you people is YOU SUCK! You just cost me around 1400 bucks! I couldn't stand it any longer. Bought a Nex7 with kit and free 16mm. Got a 19 and 30 sigma on order as well as a couple of adapters. Time to peruse the pawn shops for lenses and have some fun.

It's hard to decide if this is a lens thread or a nex thread but it does convince me that the nex is about the best platform for manual focus lenses out there. I love primes so this should be fun.

philber
    Total Posts: 7462

Vaughn, if you've just joined the game, I suggets you get yourself a good 50mm lens, like the Leica 50mm Summicron APO Aspheric. After that, the 1400$ won't hurt at all...

ebookman
    Total Posts: 673

NEX point and shoot?

My wife was going hiking with our granddaughter last September and I suggested she take a real camera instead of her "point and shoot." I gave her my NEX 5n with a CV15, set the aperture to f:8, focus near infinity and ISO auto and just told her to point and shoot. These are some of the results.

Peire
    Total Posts: 1319

Phillip Reeve wrote:
    I tried my new Minolta MC 300/5.6 for the first time, my observations:

• contrast ist pretty low
  • ...as ist microcontrast
  • significant PF
  • 300mm are pretty hard to handhold

After some PP i like the results, nice zoo-tele.
    My Ai-S nonED Nikkor 300/4.5 has better contrast and less PF but it is more unwieldily.

After trying Minolta 300/5.6 and 300/4.5 on the NEX5N I gave up.Nikon 300/4.5 ED is better of the two,but despite one ED lens it is still too soft wo and has too much CAs either.Rule of the thumb - after a few years of experience:majority of legacy lenses above 28mm and under 200mm can not match contempoprary digital sensors.Without significant amount of PP their images are technically inferior compared to modern lenses.

• ebookman
    Total Posts: 673

What am I missing?

It is not obvious to me how picture placement works. I don't mind having all my images centered but I would like to know how to place them flush left if desired. Thanks for your help. - Dale

briantho
    Total Posts: 1094

Not shooting much atm, it's too fckng cold

Skiing by briantho, on Flickr

Contax 28/2

sebboh
    Total Posts: 10440

^^ awesome shot!

Jim Schemel
    Total Posts: 4809

NEX 7 / Summaron 35
    -Jim