NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/510

1       2       3              510      
       512              700       701       end

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1490

Jacob D wrote:
Phillip, that last one really grabbed my attention. The zig zagging fence really makes it, and as usual your processing skills bring out the details.

How are you liking the 16-50? How about the NEX6?

That last one is mislabeled, it was taken with the G28.

I sold the 16-50 quickly after i got it because they sell for crazy 250 euros here in germany.
Optically i liked it, performance @16mm was quite fine after lenscorrection, much better than my old 18-55 @18mm.
I didn't really test the whole focal range but performance seemed solid.
When using AF i had some not perfectly focused images with it, focus wasn't off much but resolution suffered significantly.

My observations moving from the 5n to the 6

1. image quality is the same
  2. operation is improved significantly
  3. i like to have a viewfinder, not that i am a huge fan of how it works it is nice to have
  4. the 6 is significantly bigger than the 5n
  5. the body is made mostly of plastic, doesn't feel as nice as the 5n
  6. When shooting raw-only the 5n's display often showed mushy details when zoomed in, the 6 doesn't do that

ebookman wrote:
What software do you use to stitch images?

Photoshop

mortyb
Total Posts: 1362

Nice winterscapes, Phillip. Interesting observations about 5n/6.

mawz
Total Posts: 7883

Perth Manor by Mawz, on Flickr
ZA E 24/1.8, NEX-7

Luta13
Total Posts: 224

The Way It Was by Luta13, on Flickr

uhoh7
Total Posts: 2125

Love the contrast of the two by mawz and luta

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 5006

Oh to be on a warm beach again....

sebboh
Total Posts: 10571

nikkor 105/2.5:

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4927

LightShow wrote:
Ron, your shots from the 21 seem to be getting better, just getting used to it I guess.
I was also wondering how active/accurate the peaking was with it wide open vs. stopped down, as I have a few wides that are hard to nail focus even with a good amount of peaking to help.

Thanks - the earlier photos were pretty much grab shots around the house and were processed with very little adjustment. The second set of images have had more processing 'to taste.' My feeling is this lens on the NEX is a bit lower contrast than what I'm used to getting from ZM and Leica glass on the M9. Could be the wider dynamic range of the NEX sensor as well as the default Adobe profiles for each.

As for peaking... I don't find it that accurate for wide open shooting with this lens. I need to try it more, but my definite impression is that if I think I've got good focus and then zoom in at magnified view, the focus point isn't usually exactly where I expected it to be. But it could also be my unfamiliarity with the NEX-7, and longer-term use might improve my results with only use of focus peaking.

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

Beautiful beach shots, Sebboh!

I went out after the first snow here this winter, but it had mostly melted, so in the spirit of my recent embrace of flare I tried a little "lens whacking" i.e. un-mounting and turning it at angles, to let light leak in for extreme veiling/flare, loss in contrast and semi-random extension tube/tilt/shift effects. Seat-of-the-pants photography, which requires some serious RAW abuse to recover.

Melting snow:

Melting snow by specularist, on Flickr

Flare-chasing:

Flare foliage by specularist, on Flickr

Hedgerow drops by specularist, on Flickr

Normal service resumed:

After the snow by specularist, on Flickr

LightShow
Total Posts: 5032

Thanks for the reply Ron.

mawz

Blooming by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, 50/1.8 OSS

legaltrouble
Total Posts: 291

Mawz, that's pretty nice....love the colors, sharpness, bokeh....

alan_m
Total Posts: 231

^ Yes, also - superb clarity, presence, 3D!

taran
Total Posts: 368

kami 1.20.132821 by artistwithlight, on Flickr
Skink pinhole

AtomicOrbital
Total Posts: 1

@philber - in the main ballroom of that château are double helix (two intertwined) staircases designed by da Vinci - not to be missed on a trip to Chambord

mawz

alan_m wrote:
^ Yes, also - superb clarity, presence, 3D!

Thanks!

The 50/1.8 OSS is an excellent little lens, if only its rendering was a better match to the ZA E 24/1.8 I would have kept it, but the two do not make a complimentary pair (I'd recommend pairing the 50 OSS with the Sigma 30 or the new Sony 35/1.8 OSS)

ulrikft2
Total Posts: 2100

Nex-7 + 45/2:

philber
Total Posts: 7484

Time to post after a nasty intermission. The first one with ZM 35 f:2.0, the last two with Summilux 50 on NEX 7.

philber
Total Posts: 7484

AtomicOrbital wrote:
@philber - in the main ballroom of that château are double helix (two intertwined) staircases designed by da Vinci - not to be missed on a trip to Chambord

AtomicOrbital, I am aware of that gorgeous double-helix staircase, though I thought the Da Vinci parentage was less than certain. But I am not sure why you are adressing this info to me.

mawz

Brick Between the Trees by Mawz, on Flickr

One more from the ZA E 24/1.8 on the NEX-7, this is pretty much welded on my NEX these days and has been for months, it's not so green right now ;-)

1       2       3              510      
       512              700       701       end