NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/475

1       2       3              475      
476
       477              715       716       end

Jacob D
Registered: Mar 30, 2009
Total Posts: 1757
Country: United States

Ray, that last image of the leaves and frost has a nice depth to it, very nice.



I just returned from a snowshoe/camping trip near Dewey Point in Yosemite. I spent most of the week preparing and ensuring I'd be ready for the zero degree weather and in the process I neglected to notice I only had 1 memory card and it was mostly full of Canon files that I couldn't delete without re-formatting and losing my images from the prior day. I really blew an opportunity to come home with some nice images. I did take one photo of the valley from our camp... 5N + Nokton 40.







alan_m
Registered: Jun 21, 2012
Total Posts: 231
Country: N/A

Beautiful Jacob; pity about the card!

Great BW work from Philip above & beautiful shots from the "forgotten" but great-looking 30mm macro, Ray!

I inherited an Olympus OM-System Auto-W 28/3.5, expecting it to be sharp despite the slowness, but I was not expecting gorgeous bokeh at 28mm & f3.5:


Rope by specularist, on Flickr




Luta13
Registered: Dec 29, 2012
Total Posts: 225
Country: United States

NEX-7 Sigma 30mm
Puddles by Luta13, on Flickr



partitura
Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Total Posts: 384
Country: United States

Luta - that is a fantastic image.
MRosth - really beautiful - especially the first. And the red one!

It is not pleasant at all to have a magnificent new lens and no time AT ALL to use it. I managed to get a few minutes today to take a couple of images with my Leica 24mm Elmar. Here is one. Middle of the day light, which I tried to soften a bit. Just starting to get to know this lens.

It is all Philippe's fault. (Thanks, Philber!)







sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12607
Country: United States

this is awesome!

Luta13 wrote:
NEX-7 Sigma 30mm
Puddles by Luta13, on Flickr



Dawud
Registered: Oct 21, 2008
Total Posts: 120
Country: Belgium

epic shot



taran
Registered: Mar 02, 2012
Total Posts: 824
Country: United States

A few more from Africa...


africa 12.28.123700 by artistwithlight, on Flickr


africa 12.28.123896 by artistwithlight, on Flickr


africa 1.3.137064 by artistwithlight, on Flickr


africa 12.25.122152 by artistwithlight, on Flickr



photoomaha
Registered: Feb 14, 2005
Total Posts: 499
Country: United States

Luta, absolutely love that image! Really shows what the small Nex is capable of, and most of all, the person behind the camera running the controls! Wow.



Gary Clennan
Registered: Mar 29, 2007
Total Posts: 7643
Country: Canada

partitura wrote:
Luta - that is a fantastic image.
MRosth - really beautiful - especially the first. And the red one!

It is not pleasant at all to have a magnificent new lens and no time AT ALL to use it. I managed to get a few minutes today to take a couple of images with my Leica 24mm Elmar. Here is one. Middle of the day light, which I tried to soften a bit. Just starting to get to know this lens.

It is all Philippe's fault. (Thanks, Philber!)







We have this exact same thing being created in front of my office here in Calgary. Created by Spanish sculptor Jaume Plensa. It looks pretty cool...


rscheffler
Registered: Aug 23, 2005
Total Posts: 6556
Country: Canada

I agree Gary, that looks really cool! Partitura, love the rendering of the image. It seems the 24/3.8 and 21/3.4 share similar characteristics.

Taran, love the last two!

While I don't normally post images in this thread on account of not owning a NEX camera, I happen to have a NEX-7 on loan on which I'm trying the new Voigtlander 21/1.8. While my primary interest in the lens is on the M9, results on the 7 are quite promising. There is some purple shift at the edges/corners, but not any worse than the three other 21mm M-series lenses I also tried (and wrote up in a review). Those other lenses being the 21 Lux, 21 SEM and ZM21/2.8.

Nothing exciting, but here are a few images with the 21/1.8 on the 7 at closer distances, where I was trying out it's 50cm close focusing. High-rez copies can be downloaded in the review...

All wide open.
At 50cm:

















Between 50-70cm:






About 1.5m:











I've been requested to compare the 21/1.8 against the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. I don't have that lens, but might be able to borrow one eventually. It will be interesting to see what the background rendering differences will be...

Here's the 21/1.8 on the 7:












BTW, for those not familiar with the lens (it just started shipping), the hood is a permanent part of the lens...


lumis beans
Registered: Mar 15, 2007
Total Posts: 224
Country: United States

There are some stunning images here. And because of it, UPS is delivering a NEX-6 today and USPS a Summicron M 50mm by Friday. What, deary me, have I done...



Jim Schemel
Registered: Oct 18, 2006
Total Posts: 4931
Country: United States

rscheffler - thanks for posting these shots.Can you tell us if these were shot in RAW or jpeg? Also how much pp was done to these? did you do anything to eliminate the purple fringing?
-Jim

NEX 7 / Summaron 35





coloured
Registered: Jun 26, 2012
Total Posts: 52
Country: Australia

Taran and Luta beautiful captures! both deserving of a repost





mawz
Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Total Posts: 9149
Country: Canada


Waiting for the Car by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, ZA E 24/1.8



Andrew Gough
Registered: Jun 10, 2005
Total Posts: 2304
Country: Canada

Two different lenses, more on my on blog.































After seeing the last four, I decided to keep the lens!

Andrew

http://planetwidephoto.wordpress.com/


LightShow
Registered: Aug 03, 2009
Total Posts: 5887
Country: Canada

lumis beans wrote:
There are some stunning images here. And because of it, UPS is delivering a NEX-6 today and USPS a Summicron M 50mm by Friday. What, deary me, have I done...

Congratulations, I also was prompted to buy a NEX after finding this thread, I wouldn't go too crazy buying lenses till Zeiss release their E-mount AF lenses, though M-mount glass should hold their value quite well.
Other M's to look at:
Voightlander 15, Elmarit M 28, APO 90/100, or Canon LTM 100/3.5(just bought and I'm amazed at it's quality)

I'm up near 100 lenses now, just high quality lenses & some expensive lenses on my list to get, start with the good ones like you have and it may spare you from falling off the deep end like me and Bif.



rscheffler
Registered: Aug 23, 2005
Total Posts: 6556
Country: Canada

Jim Schemel wrote:
rscheffler - thanks for posting these shots.Can you tell us if these were shot in RAW or jpeg? Also how much pp was done to these? did you do anything to eliminate the purple fringing?
-Jim


Jim: These images and everything in the review were shot in RAW and converted in LR4 with the default settings. No attempt was made to correct the purple shift. Of the images in the review, only white balance/tint was adjusted and slight tone curve on some images, but nothing dramatic. Of the images posted here, there were tone curve adjustments for all of them and a bit of burning down the brightness of the old plywood in the last one. They were processed a bit more 'to taste' but also with some restraint. Some have had clarity added. About 30 points for the first one of the pots, which is the most of any of these. The car and the rose bush branches images are definitely without clarity.

I need to use the 21/1.8 a lot more to get a better feel for its close distance performance. It's plenty sharp in the 70cm-2m range. But these were my first images with it closer than 70cm and my feeling is it loses a bit of snap and the transition from sharp to out of focus seems to exhibit some turbulence. Contrast seems a bit weaker, hence the desire to dial in some clarity in the pots image.

I'm not yet sure it's going to be a great (smooth) bokeh lens. It doesn't share the neutral background rendering bias of the Summilux series. Instead, it retains more edge definition to out of focus objects.

Andrew: that 400 looks great. I love the second to last image.



rscheffler
Registered: Aug 23, 2005
Total Posts: 6556
Country: Canada

lumis beans wrote:
There are some stunning images here. And because of it, UPS is delivering a NEX-6 today and USPS a Summicron M 50mm by Friday. What, deary me, have I done...


Oh dear... chances are it won't be your last Leica lens.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12607
Country: United States

Andrew Gough wrote:
After seeing the last four, I decided to keep the lens!

Andrew

http://planetwidephoto.wordpress.com/


sweet, i've always kinda lusted after that lens. how is manual focus on it?

i randomly tried to take my first star trail shot on my walk home tonight after discovering that my sensor saw a lot more stars than i could with my eyes and the shot i originally intended wouldn't work.

10 min exposure, unfortunately right next to a street light, with the g 28 at f/11:



clearly my "tripod" is suboptimal as well.

same shot boosting iso and opening the aperture to get down to 1/15 and freeze the stars:




Andrew Gough
Registered: Jun 10, 2005
Total Posts: 2304
Country: Canada

sebboh wrote:
Andrew Gough wrote:
After seeing the last four, I decided to keep the lens!

Andrew

http://planetwidephoto.wordpress.com/


sweet, i've always kinda lusted after that lens. how is manual focus on it?

i randomly tried to take my first star trail shot on my walk home tonight after discovering that my sensor saw a lot more stars than i could with my eyes and the shot i originally intended wouldn't work.

10 min exposure, unfortunately right next to a street light, with the g 28 at f/11:



clearly my "tripod" is suboptimal as well.

same shot boosting iso and opening the aperture to get down to 1/15 and freeze the stars:




Manual focus is easy and fast, with the subject matter snapping into focus. Nice star trails!



1       2       3              475      
476
       477              715       716       end