NEX Images Thread
/forum/topic/969329/4

1       2       3       4      
5
       6              684       685       end

philber
Registered: May 21, 2008
Total Posts: 9313
Country: France

Delightful shot, sebboh!



theprophe
Registered: Feb 24, 2008
Total Posts: 4
Country: Czech Republic

A member on getdpi, claims with the newest kipon adapter, that the contax g biogon 21mm fits without trimming, i will be getting mine hopefully next week to try



Lotusm50
Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Total Posts: 6239
Country: United States

theprophe wrote:
A member on getdpi, claims with the newest kipon adapter, that the contax g biogon 21mm fits without trimming, i will be getting mine hopefully next week to try



Unless that new Kipon adapter moves the lens back away from camera body (and affecting infinity focus), it's not going to work. Here is a picture of my G 21mm Biogon on a NEX adapter. You can clearly see that the plastic shields extend past the the end of the adapter.



I tried to fit it to my NEX-5. These shields hit the built up flat areas to the top and bottom of the sensor (I know this becuase they left marks there as I tried to mount the lens). For it to fit, you clearly need to trim these shields. The adapter, if the proper lens registration distance is used, has nothing to do with with this. The adapter is not prohibiting the use of the lens.



lepp
Registered: Jul 06, 2008
Total Posts: 97
Country: Estonia

Herb1911, great shot & B/W conversion there!



theprophe
Registered: Feb 24, 2008
Total Posts: 4
Country: Czech Republic

thanks for the pic, and explanation, thats too bad, i'm going to pm him and see why he said that

Lotusm50 wrote:
theprophe wrote:
A member on getdpi, claims with the newest kipon adapter, that the contax g biogon 21mm fits without trimming, i will be getting mine hopefully next week to try



Unless that new Kipon adapter moves the lens back away from camera body (and affecting infinity focus), it's not going to work. Here is a picture of my G 21mm Biogon on a NEX adapter. You can clearly see that the plastic shields extend past the the end of the adapter.



I tried to fit it to my NEX-5. These shields hit the built up flat areas to the top and bottom of the sensor (I know this becuase they left marks there as I tried to mount the lens). For it to fit, you clearly need to trim these shields. The adapter, if the proper lens registration distance is used, has nothing to do with with this. The adapter is not prohibiting the use of the lens.




sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12614
Country: United States

Lotusm50 wrote:
Unless that new Kipon adapter moves the lens back away from camera body (and affecting infinity focus), it's not going to work. Here is a picture of my G 21mm Biogon on a NEX adapter. You can clearly see that the plastic shields extend past the the end of the adapter.



I tried to fit it to my NEX-5. These shields hit the built up flat areas to the top and bottom of the sensor (I know this becuase they left marks there as I tried to mount the lens). For it to fit, you clearly need to trim these shields. The adapter, if the proper lens registration distance is used, has nothing to do with with this. The adapter is not prohibiting the use of the lens.

do those fins not just unscrew?


akul
Registered: May 30, 2010
Total Posts: 2702
Country: United States

Sebboh - great macro shot. Initially I was not sure about the bokeh character, but it grew on me.

Herb1911- spectacular shot! BW works perfect.



Lotusm50
Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Total Posts: 6239
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
do those fins not just unscrew?



You have to open up the whole mount. I have not done this but it looks like after you take the lens mount off, there are 4 screws holding the shield which appear to be part of the structure that also holds the electrical contacts. I'd have to take it apart to be sure, and I'm really not interested in doing that. I'd trim the shield to use the lens, but only if I knew that I could easily replace them with a new shield to restore the lens' integrity.



KOJI
Registered: Jan 07, 2006
Total Posts: 94
Country: Canada

Why do you guys have the problem to mount G-Biogon 21/2.8?

I have no problem with my G->E adapter (Kipon-look-a-like) and reach infinity too.
Because of rear protector of the lens I have to mount the adapter to NEX5 FIRST,
then mount the lens to the camera+adapter SECOND. My adapter is > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/127863088
Although the corners have slight colour shifting, but fixable by CornerFix program as you know.

Actually we are very lucky G-lenses have a kind of breach-mount which does not
require to rotate the lenses to mount them.



Lotusm50
Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Total Posts: 6239
Country: United States

KOJI wrote:
I have no problem with my G->E adapter (Kipon-look-a-like) and reach infinity too.
Because of rear protector of the lens I have to mount the adapter to NEX5 FIRST,
then mount the lens to the camera+adapter SECOND. My adapter is > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/127863088



I have a similar adapter (except mine is a near-matching titanium color instead of black) so I tried this technique. Lo and behold, it worked. Those shields have to be right up to and pressing against the sensor surround.

One thing I noticed is that it focuses WAY past infinity, yet ALSO focuses VERY close -- to about 0.3 meters from the sensor plane. The spec for the lens on the Contax G is 0.5 meter to infinity, so we seem to be getting a lot more range out of the lens for some reason. Koji, are you seeing the same thing?



KOJI
Registered: Jan 07, 2006
Total Posts: 94
Country: Canada

Yes, of course. If you mount the lens (any G-lenses) on G1/2, your lens sits on "the resting position",
which is closer to film position than "infinity" position, to which the camera moves the lens
when you power on the camera. (except G-Hollogon 16mm)
So I knew what you observed will happen when you mount G-lens to NEX or micro4/3 camera.

I have an M-mounted G-Biogon 21mm too, which focuses to 0.3m as you have seen. So no surprise to me.



tach18k
Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Total Posts: 936
Country: United States

My new NEX-5, with the 16mm and 100% crop on this flower. Cropped from jpg no pp.









theprophe
Registered: Feb 24, 2008
Total Posts: 4
Country: Czech Republic

thanks alot koji,just got my adapter today, tried out the 21mm,and it fits!!

KOJI wrote:
Why do you guys have the problem to mount G-Biogon 21/2.8?

I have no problem with my G->E adapter (Kipon-look-a-like) and reach infinity too.
Because of rear protector of the lens I have to mount the adapter to NEX5 FIRST,
then mount the lens to the camera+adapter SECOND. My adapter is > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/127863088
Although the corners have slight colour shifting, but fixable by CornerFix program as you know.

Actually we are very lucky G-lenses have a kind of breach-mount which does not
require to rotate the lenses to mount them.



akul
Registered: May 30, 2010
Total Posts: 2702
Country: United States

Philber - Wonderful to see Versailles shots from both 5DII and NEX system ( referring to other thread ). I must say that NEX still is a little thing of wonder. Very good result, also due to the quality lens, and the photographer. First and last shot are my favorite with lighting and color. Once again, great to see the amount of detail this set up can provide. Do you, by the way, use or see any need for corner fix ( ? spelling may be wrong ) with Biogon 35mm? I do not notice any issue, and was not sure whether that is because you have already processed them.
Congrats on 50 f2. Planar I am looking forward to see photos from it.

Akul



philber
Registered: May 21, 2008
Total Posts: 9313
Country: France

No, Akul, no cornerfix required. And this week, I should also be getting a Novoflex adapter for my Contax C/Y 25mm, so I should have a lot more flexibility with my NEX. The problem the NEX poses is that I am getting plain lazy about carrying my 5D II....



ken.vs.ryu
Registered: Apr 24, 2005
Total Posts: 3825
Country: N/A

philber, can't wait to see the 21 distagon images from the nex.



philber
Registered: May 21, 2008
Total Posts: 9313
Country: France

I bid on a Contax G Distagon 21, but bidding and byuying are two different things. If you mean my ZE Distagon 21, I have no plans ot fit it on my NEX, as I would have no way to stop the lens down.



slungu
Registered: Jan 25, 2005
Total Posts: 897
Country: Germany

philber wrote:
No, Akul, no cornerfix required. And this week, I should also be getting a Novoflex adapter for my Contax C/Y 25mm, so I should have a lot more flexibility with my NEX. The problem the NEX poses is that I am getting plain lazy about carrying my 5D II....


Great shots from the NEX and the Biogon.

Philippe, that is the idea behind the NEX : as long as you put decent glass in front of it the results are good and you start not to bother with the big guns. Of course not for everything, but for this type of shooting it is the right tool.



akul
Registered: May 30, 2010
Total Posts: 2702
Country: United States

ken.vs.ryu
One of these days, I will stick the ZF21 on NEX and post some shots here. The thing is that 21 on NEX feels a bit ergonomically wrong.


Philber
Contax C/Y25 would be a great focal length for 'walk around' whatever that means. Also the weight should not be too bad. I am curious to hear your reaction to the size as it would be bigger than ZM series. I see contax g 21mm for about $700 USD at KEH.com. I have a feeling that is a bit on the high side.

By the way, it sounds like there will be less and less 5DII shots from you Ha Ha, I am just giving you a hard time.

Akul



philber
Registered: May 21, 2008
Total Posts: 9313
Country: France

Yes, Stefan, but that same afternoon, I did take my 5DII + Zeiss with me, and the results were quite a bit better. So I have to get unlazy...



1       2       3       4      
5
       6              684       685       end