Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2947

1       2       3              2947      
2948
       2949              5892       5893       end

CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

I thought I'd posted a comment on your last set of images Ray but I can't find it, so I'll write again. Gorgeous! You make Florida look almost inviting... Sue is in Delray Beach at the moment and she happens to enjoy the warm weather and humidity. In the meantime we have cool nights with temperatures in the mid-fifties and days in the mid-eighties. I vote for that...

You have a great eye for composition Ray. I'm looking forward to your tripod adventures in the coming weeks. I did a quick search on that tripod and found a number of critical comments about the capacity of the ball head to hold the camera without slipping. I wonder how it handled the 300 which weighs a couple of pounds with the tripod collar. Are you happy with performance of the tripod? I'm not prepared to take the leap myself, but I'm certainly gathering information along the way...



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Kevin, hope you take that class, I'm finding mine fun, even though right now the pressure is on to get things wrapped up for the final presentation.

I won't have too. I am the admin in the department and all the photo people love me. I can use the labs and developers whenever I want too. My last roll of film was developed by an advanced film student. Had it done and scanned in a day. We also have some very nice scanners so the 35mm scans I get are larger than the RAW files from my D7000.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

Getting in ahead of the weekend rush.

Sorry for the large number, but family coming tomorrow from NZ so it may be my last time to post for a while (I'll still be reading and enjoying everyones contributions though).

Anyway, away from the brief detour to ol' Blighty and back to the wonders of that magnificent country of France.

Still on Day 2, The day finally cleared up near the end of the day. In my new (dry) shoes I went around the coast to a bird reserve where I had a good chat to the site administrator and then actually took some photos, unleashing the 50 and 24mm lenses on the countryside. After that I went back to the camp site and a couple of shots while relaxing on the beach.





jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 8411
Country: United States

Thanks Mark and Laura and Leighton (and anyone else I forgot to mention). We are all tired today, but glad for it. I need to find a new backpack to carry my photo gear plus backpacking stuff . . .



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
I thought I'd posted a comment on your last set of images Ray but I can't find it, so I'll write again. Gorgeous! You make Florida look almost inviting... Sue is in Delray Beach at the moment and she happens to enjoy the warm weather and humidity. In the meantime we have cool nights with temperatures in the mid-fifties and days in the mid-eighties. I vote for that...

You have a great eye for composition Ray. I'm looking forward to your tripod adventures in the coming weeks. I did a quick search on that tripod and found a number of critical comments about the capacity of the ball head to hold the camera without slipping. I wonder how it handled the 300 which weighs a couple of pounds with the tripod collar. Are you happy with performance of the tripod? I'm not prepared to take the leap myself, but I'm certainly gathering information along the way...

I used the 300 EDIF with the tripod collar with the ball head connected to the mount and not the camera. I did not notice any slippage what-so-ever. I would set the angle and the tripod held like a grip. It was great for a stationary object but when the birds flew away it was difficult to follow using the tripod.
I used it mostly for the 24mm and 35mm for landscape and I had no problems at all using the tripod. In fact it made my shooting actually easier .
Here's a photo that I really liked using the 35mm 1.4 - F11 - 1/13th







kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

MarkdV wrote:
Getting in ahead of the weekend rush.

Sorry for the large number, but family coming tomorrow from NZ so it may be my last time to post for a while (I'll still be reading and enjoying everyones contributions though).

Anyway, away from the brief detour to ol' Blighty and back to the wonders of that magnificent country of France.

Still on Day 2, The day finally cleared up near the end of the day. In my new (dry) shoes I went around the coast to a bird reserve where I had a good chat to the site administrator and then actually took some photos, unleashing the 50 and 24mm lenses on the countryside. After that I went back to the camp site and a couple of shots while relaxing on the beach.




Mark, love "The Fence"... What a great shot.



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I thought I'd posted a comment on your last set of images Ray but I can't find it, so I'll write again. Gorgeous! You make Florida look almost inviting... Sue is in Delray Beach at the moment and she happens to enjoy the warm weather and humidity. In the meantime we have cool nights with temperatures in the mid-fifties and days in the mid-eighties. I vote for that...

You have a great eye for composition Ray. I'm looking forward to your tripod adventures in the coming weeks. I did a quick search on that tripod and found a number of critical comments about the capacity of the ball head to hold the camera without slipping. I wonder how it handled the 300 which weighs a couple of pounds with the tripod collar. Are you happy with performance of the tripod? I'm not prepared to take the leap myself, but I'm certainly gathering information along the way...

I used the 300 EDIF with the tripod collar with the ball head connected to the mount and not the camera. I did not notice any slippage what-so-ever. I would set the angle and the tripod held like a grip. It was great for a stationary object but when the birds flew away it was difficult to follow using the tripod.I did notice slippage if I connected to the camera. I used it mostly for the 24mm and 35mm for landscape and I had no problems at all using the tripod. In fact it made my shooting actually easier .
Here's a photo that I really liked using the 35mm 1.4 - F11 - 1/13th






At least with a ball head, it is easier to pan... I am using a 3 axis head, so it pans great in any of the individual axis, but is tough if you are trying to track like a bird in flight. I love using a tripod for panoramas, makes stitching more successful. I find it almost a requirement when doing any macro over 1:2... The only downside is if the weather isn't perfect. I have a lot of shots where the wind blew during exposure, causing the tree to move.

I love the shot above, draws you right in and makes the viewer want to keep on the path.


MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Thank you Leighton(Tom), Laura and Curtis
Alex that's an interesting shot
Tom it is so nice to view your part of the world.
Mark I really love the tunnel shot it reminds me a little of a NG photo called Tunnel of Love, Ukraine
Kevin thanks for the comments. Yes I think I am going to enjoy my tripod. Macro is not my thing but for panos and fireworks it is a must.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

Then Day 3. The weather was much better on Day 3 and I took the morning to go to an "old castle" that was interesting because it was surrounded by marshlands with lots of birds as told by the bird reserve administrator from yesterday.
The castle also was interesting by being (a) 14th Century (b) very big and well restored and (c) by being the winter home for the Dukes of Burgundy (these guys didn't go for small and pokey). These bits the bird guy failed to mention.

So these are all from the 24mm except the last which was 180mm.





MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Beautiful shots Mark. I love the first one especially, not to mention the stained glass. Nicely done and what scenery for a vacation!!!



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

Ray, stopping down as you've done when using the tripod yields incredible depth of field and excellent sharpness. These images with wide lenses, the 24 ad 35, are really quite brilliant. I see the advantage. I tend to shoot at f/8 when doing landscape work not so much because of shutter speed but in the belief that is a sweet spot for sharpness. Clearly, one can't generalize about these lenses so experimenting with stopping down further, which becomes possible with a tripod, is a worthy thing to do. And, of course, some shots can only be done with a tripod. I'm thinking about shooting moving water at a shutter speed the captures the sense of flow. Keep em coming. I may yet be motivated to buy a tripod...



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

Amazing Mark to see sunlight coming from Switzerland. What a difference it makes in bringing aliveness to a photo. I'm definitely enjoying what you are sharing at the moment.

Enjoy your visitors.



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Ray, stopping down as you've done when using the tripod yields incredible depth of field and excellent sharpness. These images with wide lenses, the 24 ad 35, are really quite brilliant. I see the advantage. I tend to shoot at f/8 when doing landscape work not so much because of shutter speed but in the belief that is a sweet spot for sharpness. Clearly, one can't generalize about these lenses so experimenting with stopping down further, which becomes possible with a tripod, is a worthy thing to do. And, of course, some shots can only be done with a tripod. I'm thinking about shooting moving water at a shutter speed the captures the sense of flow. Keep em coming. I may yet be motivated to buy a tripod...


I can help you with that Curtis. I have a set of legs and a 3-way head that I am going to be selling soon. I don't need two nearly identical setups.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Curtis the main reason I bought this particular tripod was the light weight and cost. The tripod head can be changed to a better one if I can determine that I really need too. Dolica has a better head on the next model designed for heavier lenses. I am comfortable using this one with the 300mm 4.5 If I had heavier lenses i would go for a more expensive one, but as you say for water movement and more depth of field it is ideal. I was a little taken back by the amount of detail my 35mm 1.4 gave me at F11 Here are a few shots that I particularly liked.









MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

Thanks Ray and Curtis for your comments.

The real draw of the third day in France (and the holiday) for me was the final of the Junior (Under 20's) Rugby World Cup. I was there expecting there to be the final of NZ vs South Africa, but things don't always go according to plan and both the 'baby blacks' and the 'baby bokka' got knocked out in the Semi-finals by England and Wales respectively.
I luckily still got to see them play, but only in the 3rd / 4th playoff.

I took the 180mm, unfortunately not the best seats for some good photos, but the 180mm did it's usual stellar job.

What was great was watching these young men and the passion they had for the game and the sheer un-bridled joy at playing as well as their respect for the match officials and each other. There are many sportsmen from any code that could learn about what sport means from these lads.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

MDoc9523 wrote:
Curtis the main reason I bought this particular tripod was the light weight and cost. The tripod head can be changed to a better one if I can determine that I really need too. Dolica has a better head on the next model designed for heavier lenses. I am comfortable using this one with the 300mm 4.5 If I had heavier lenses i would go for a more expensive one, but as you say for water movement and more depth of field it is ideal. I was a little taken back by the amount of detail my 35mm 1.4 gave me at F11 Here are a few shots that I particularly liked.


Ray, these are very nice, love the last one especially. The colour is so vibrant. Is that SOOC or did you boost the green in PP?



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

Ok, this is it I promise, the last set from me for a while. Last set from Quiberon day 3 (only one more day & night to go, don't worry)

Back home in the evening. Sun going down, off for a walk around the coast, 24mm in hand & 180+ 50mm in the pocket. How good can life be.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

MarkdV wrote:
Getting in ahead of the weekend rush.

Sorry for the large number, but family coming tomorrow from NZ so it may be my last time to post for a while (I'll still be reading and enjoying everyones contributions though).

Anyway, away from the brief detour to ol' Blighty and back to the wonders of that magnificent country of France.

Still on Day 2, The day finally cleared up near the end of the day. In my new (dry) shoes I went around the coast to a bird reserve where I had a good chat to the site administrator and then actually took some photos, unleashing the 50 and 24mm lenses on the countryside. After that I went back to the camp site and a couple of shots while relaxing on the beach.







Nice, it has a very painterly look to it.


leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Curtis the main reason I bought this particular tripod was the light weight and cost. The tripod head can be changed to a better one if I can determine that I really need too. Dolica has a better head on the next model designed for heavier lenses. I am comfortable using this one with the 300mm 4.5 If I had heavier lenses i would go for a more expensive one, but as you say for water movement and more depth of field it is ideal. I was a little taken back by the amount of detail my 35mm 1.4 gave me at F11 Here are a few shots that I particularly liked.




These are all beautiful Ray, but this one is REALLY nice! That 35 really is sharp when stopped done. I expect the tripod helped a little too. Your post work is exceptional as well.



raboof
Registered: Mar 04, 2011
Total Posts: 2094
Country: United States

Mark - Nice castle shots.
Ray - Love those shots from your 35mm f1.4



1       2       3              2947      
2948
       2949              5892       5893       end