Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2946

1       2       3              2946      
       2948              3805       3806       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2836

Peter (SA) , this cute little beast seems a bit wary but very affectionate!
Georg, schnaps is way better for health and photo than coffee!

StonePhotog
Total Posts: 103

Thanks Curtis. I agree, the 180 is a great lens and is a fantastic bargain, comparatively speaking.

Eric/Stedge, I love the portrait shots with the 55 1.2! There's something about the soft-ish portrait combined with the wild bokeh that I really like.

Nice beach shots Ray!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4594

Thank you Peter. That is one scary spider
Thank you Leighton, Chuong, Mark and Jay

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2390

I am in a photo-funk. I am not wanting to shoot at all these last few weeks. I am going on a mini vacation starting Thursday, plan to bring my kit with me, but at the same time, I have little desire to shoot. What do you all do when you are in a photo-funk?

Zichar
Total Posts: 3317

I go on a mini vacation

leighton w
Total Posts: 8581

kwoodard wrote:
I am in a photo-funk. I am not wanting to shoot at all these last few weeks. I am going on a mini vacation starting Thursday, plan to bring my kit with me, but at the same time, I have little desire to shoot. What do you all do when you are in a photo-funk?

There's a couple of things you could try. One thing to do is see what the weekly assignment is and try to capture an image that fits. Another is to pick one theme like texture for instance and shoot nothing but subjects that goes with the theme. I usually get in to a funk during Winter when it's cold and there's not much color outside. I would think your impending vacation would snap you out of it, as it's always good to go somewhere you haven't been to get inspiration to shoot. Good luck!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2390

leighton w wrote:
kwoodard wrote:

There's a couple of things you could try. One thing to do is see what the weekly assignment is and try to capture an image that fits. Another is to pick one theme like texture for instance and shoot nothing but subjects that goes with the theme. I usually get in to a funk during Winter when it's cold and there's not much color outside. I would think your impending vacation would snap you out of it, as it's always good to go somewhere you haven't been to get inspiration to shoot. Good luck!

That is what I am hoping for. Going down to southern California for a few days to spend time with my wifes family. My wife wants to make a trip to the beach and maybe San Diego.

I need to clean all my lenses, they are filthy. I hope to be able to finish repairing my Series E 100/2.8 tomorrow too. Have to get a pesky stuck screw out. The head snapped off of it nice and flush with the aluminum frame. I have a slightly smaller yet stronger screw that I am going to JBWeld to the remaining stub of screw, let it cure, then hit the threads with a drop of acetone to break up any thread lock, then a penetrating oil to loosen it up further. Once that is done, grease the helicoil and reassemble. I have a donor lens that I am going to try and pull off some of the nicer screws and replace them messed up ones on the other lens. It looks like someone attempted a repair before, but when they couldn't get passed the stuck screws, they gave up. The lens looks to be in new condition, I am thinking it sat on a display shelf or in a bag for so long that the stock grease totally evaporated and the gummy mess that is left over is binding up the focus.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 1844

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4594

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I reshot these all this past weekend, plus a few new ones.

http://nightowldesigns.zenfolio.com/va_headstones

D3 and 105 f/2.5 at 2.5

What a wonderful project Laura!!!
Ronny what amazing work you are doing with tubes!!!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 11927

Great suggestions from Leighton, well worth trying.

Another thing to do Kevin is to mount an extension tube on your 135 and take a closer look at your world. I know you've done that in the past, but as Ronny keeps demonstrating, it is possible to do rather magical work simply by getting close and reducing the focal plane to create delicious out of focus areas surround one's subject.

Of course, it is always good to be patient when these moods arrive. Keeping viewing others work and at some point you'll feel the inspiration return. It is almost always someone else's work that inspires me to take a fresh look at my shooting and my world. Relax and enjoy your trip. If photography happens, so be it. If not, so be it...

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 1844

Great shot Jose Philippe Georg and Ray
Yikes .. it was a disgusting spider Peter

Thanks Ray

pburke
Total Posts: 1634

georgms wrote:

too much coffee in the morning von georgsfoto auf Flickr

Ai'd Nikkor UD-Auto 20/3.5 at full aperture

Georg, I am on my 7th or 8th mug of coffee for the day and just looking at this gives me a spinning headache

Have been unable to participate much - lots of things going on apart from editing a lot of old files all over again. Today I actually took the camera with me today, so I may actually shoot some pictures on my way home from work. Lots of great shots and even some creepy pictures lately (don't like big spiders).

Oosty
Total Posts: 3940

kwoodard wrote:

If you're going to San Diego look Radael up. Just a look at his collection shold snap you out of the funk - imagine when it happens to him! Which camera, which lens..........?

Sometimes it's just good to take a break - I'm there right now.. it's winter (although today we had a hot wind that took temperatures up to about 80*F) but there's not much happening to inspire me. However I have my UK and US holiday to look forward to, grandchildren and a change of scenery so that's when I'll probably get fired up again.

saph
Total Posts: 2069

Kevin, maybe cognac and schnaps may be answer to funk, as per the Lieutenant But seriously, try Leighton and Curtis' suggestions. I am sure being on vacation you will come across some interesting scenery. Also, sometimes I just go to a different part of town that I haven't been to before and check out photo ops. And yes, just stopping in to look at Rafael's collection would be inspiring!!

Georg, your tree with the 14-sided sun star through the apple tree was superb, and I will have to try my 20 UD on a tree with sun coming through to see if I can get the jet-powered glare, that was very neat.

Lieutenant, your work is always stellar, loved that image at an angle, the people and the one person silhoutted! And did you really call the spider on Peter (Knysna)'s wall affectionate?

Ronny, nice beetle closeups, very well taken.

Eric, good to see your work here again, nice trio of images of family members. Good decision on keeping the 105 1.8!

Jay, yes, that 180 did quite a job on the flower and its background!

Ray (FL), particularly liked the colored lights on the beach accomodation, that 24 always delivers. And really liked the second one of the sky with the orange cloud rising up.

Mark, good find with the Bokeh Cafe! Definitely should be a photographer's hang out, if it isn't already.

Jose, very nice image of the epiphyte.

Peter (Madison), nice shot of the warplane. I still have to dig through the Reading show pics to find more.

saph

Three with the 35 1.4N, trying to learn this lens.

f/2.8

f/4

f/2

georgms
Total Posts: 3043

Eric, very nice work with the 55/1.2! I love this lens for "half-body-portraits", but stop it down to f/2 most of the time for portrait-work.

Jay, love the airy and creamy look of your flower-shot!

Ray, wonderful set from your vacation! I like especially the first shot for it's cool framing. I'm not sure if the foreground is the beach or something like a wall, but I really like how the buildings "sit" on this pictorial fundament. The exposure is spot on.

Peter from Knysna, love the scary beast. During the time behind the Iron Curtain the harbor-workers in my hometown found "illegal animal immigrants" now and then between fruits from Africa, much to the excitement of biologists ;-) This just came to my mind while looking at your spider-images.

Ronny, wow, you've found another spectacular captured subject! No moose around in southern Sweden ?

Samy, nice work with the 35/1.4! This lens is really special, but I'm sure you'll learn how to use it to suit your needs.

georgms

Leighton, Ray from Ohio, Peter & Peter, Mark, Ronny and Samy - thanks for your words on the the tree- and/or the fun-fair-shots!

During a rather boring assignment this evening I've noticed a long row of empty coat pegs (at the local university) and shot a few frames, this one is my personal fav:

Kleiderhaken von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700 at ISO6400, still not enough grain, had to add more in SEP, PC85/2.8D wide open, 1/60sec

saph

Georg, thanks. The cat though has no interest in learning about this lens:

f/2:

James Markus
Total Posts: 4237

Love this Georg. What is SEP?

georgms wrote:
Leighton, Ray from Ohio, Peter & Peter, Mark, Ronny and Samy - thanks for your words on the the tree- and/or the fun-fair-shots!

During a rather boring assignment this evening I've noticed a long row of empty coat pegs (at the local university) and shot a few frames, this one is my personal fav:

Kleiderhaken von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700 at ISO6400, still not enough grain, had to add more in SEP, PC85/2.8D wide open, 1/60sec

georgms

kwoodard wrote:

Good question, Kevin!
Usually I just grab my favorite photo-book (Jeanloup Sieff, 40 years of photography) and the funk goes away. Honestly, looking at other photographers work really motivates me. And I'm not talking about the iconic big-names only, over at flickr (just an example) some amazing work can be explored.
More difficult is to deal with the feeling "I was a better photographers some years ago" - still looking for a good "cure" to solve this problem...
All the best, Georg.

1       2       3              2946      
       2948              3805       3806       end