Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2879

1       2       3              2879      
       2881              4430       4431       end

Paul Gabel
Total Posts: 322

Nice sets, Peter. The 300mm 4.5 is a fine bike-around lens.

georgms
Total Posts: 3515

Scott, thanks, I'm happy that you like the blowball-shot.

Sam, the classical buildings are very nicely captured. I like your approach to shoot with a normal lens instead of the usual wide-angle.

Peter, awesome lion-portraits! And I love the first train-shot.

Doug, congrats to your Noct! This is a lens I would really like to try, but right now I have other priorities ;-)

georgms

Just came back from the German Navy, here's a personal picture taken while waiting for the "family-reunion-images" I had to shoot for a paper:

Navy Bling von georgsfoto auf Flickr
German "bling", 180/2.8ED at f/4, I hope the procession is not to punchy for this audience ;-)

leighton w
Total Posts: 9766

Georg, That's a very interesting perspective. Is that a Tuba player?

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1138

Peter, the series from your bike commute is wonderful. Brings up the question, how many lenses do you carry on your commute

Georg, among your many outstanding shots, I'd say "German Bling" is one of my personal favorites. What a great and odd pairing, wondefully done where the foreground has just enough definition to identify the foreground subject but still leaving the emphasis on the ship.

3D.Doug
Total Posts: 801

Thanks much C Grindahl. We spoke once the other day. What's your first name, without me looking it up? :-) Actually I just got the Noct yesterday. Very little time for testing after driving 2 hours away yesterday to pick it up. My profile has changed, I need to edit it. Either a really good guess, or you know your lenses. or I gave you to many clues. lol.

I also have a 135 2.8 AIS, that's minty fresh. What a compact lens. I also have Zeiss mf glass, but this is Nikon.

pburke
Total Posts: 2154

pbraymond wrote:
Peter, the series from your bike commute is wonderful. Brings up the question, how many lenses do you carry on your commute

Just two lenses this time. I almost took the 135mm as well, but the bag was overflowing with rain gear and Gatorade and other essentials for the day. Bringing camera gear is not a daily thing, since I can't imagine the rather rough ride would be good for the camera in the long run. The old lenses most likely can handle it. Normally I ride 50-60 minutes between home and work, so stopping to shoot something doesn't happen too frequently.

There isn't much that grabs my attention on the the daily commute route anyway - the train for example is there every day, as it is a stationary restaurant next to a station building that houses upscale stores. It has been decades since the last train picked up a passenger in this city and I'll save me the rant about how our governor killed high speed rail.

Georg, for how long do these ships go out to sea? Was it deployed far from the German shores? Back in the cold war years, the Bundesmarine didn't deploy any ships far from the coast, so there were probably few such arrival and re-unite scenes to photograph. Love the fuzzy brass player. Took me a second look to identify what was in the oof area.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13613

3D.Doug wrote:
Thanks much C Grindahl. We spoke once the other day. What's your first name, without me looking it up? :-) Actually I just got the Noct yesterday. Very little time for testing after driving 2 hours away yesterday to pick it up. My profile has changed, I need to edit it. Either a really good guess, or you know your lenses. or I gave you to many clues. lol.

I also have a 135 2.8 AIS, that's minty fresh. What a compact lens. I also have Zeiss mf glass, but this is Nikon.

Profiles are very useful for keeping track of such things. If you open mine you'll discover my full name as well as a listing of gear presently in my kit. I encourage folks to make that information available so we can more easily banter back and forth about photography generally and Nikon MF lenses specifically.

I had to refresh my memory Doug and found the PM exchange from a few days ago. Nice that our paths cross once again, this time in my home neighborhood. You will discover a number of participants on this thread who use and enjoy Zeiss glass and shoot with other systems. Zeiss glass is a natural alternative for anyone committed to MF photography, though I've so enjoyed the wide range of options from Nikon that I haven't gotten around to Zeiss yet. Since I'm so deeply immersed in this conversation, which is well past two and a half years old, I may not get there... Time will tell.

Perhaps you'll find yourself on a similar path as our friend Philippe has followed. He loves his Zeiss glass and came to us with two MF Nikkors, the 28 f/2.8 AI-s and 180 f/2.8 AI-s. Over time his kit of Zeiss lenses has diminished while his kit of Nikkors has grown, though slowly, He added a forty year old 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd to complement his 85mm Zeiss and the wonderful little gem, the 50 f/1.8 AI-s. You may find yourself doing a bit of experimenting yourself after you've played a bit more with the legendary NOCT and the very serviceable 135 f/2.8 AI-s.

Enjoy yourself and don't hesitate to jump into the conversation. There is a remarkable group of photographers who hang out in this corner of cyberspace. It is easy to make friends here.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6227

Oh my!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pho/3825543889.html

I may see if I can pick this up and either have it converted or find a rare-as-hens-teeth conversion kit for it.

Can't resist at that price!

Too late, someone else who knows their lenses grabbed it already. Two is enough for me, well, it should be anyways.

georgms

Leighton, Ray and Peter - thanks for your kind comments!

Leighton, yes, it's a tuba.
A view from a slightly greater distance to the tuba-player would have been ideal for a better composition, but the Navy-folks are always worried about press-folks toppling over lines or disturbing the ceremonies, so I was on a short leash ;-)

Peter, the two S-boats were coming home from a 1-year-long deployment in the Mediterranean (UNIFIL-mission).

Here's another personal picture I took this morning, I think armies equipped with such heavy artillery don't need other guns or rockets ;-)

German Brass, D700, 20/3.5 Ais at f/8, mis-focused a bit

georgms

jhinkey wrote:
Oh my!

I may see if I can pick this up and either have it converted or find a rare-as-hens-teeth conversion kit for it.

Go for it, John I'm still very thankful to you for posting the link to the beautiful 16/3.5 that found it's way into my bag.

jhinkey

georgms wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
Oh my!

Go for it, John I'm still very thankful to you for posting the link to the beautiful 16/3.5 that found it's way into my bag.

'cause three of these lenses wouldn't be enough for me . . . .

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3133

jhinkey wrote:
georgms wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
Oh my!

'cause three of these lenses wouldn't be enough for me . . . .

Man, that is a good price! Wish I had the funds...

pburke

jhinkey wrote:
Oh my!

so glad I am all out of lens budget, because you just don't want to do Craigslist business from 2000 mile away

jhinkey

jhinkey wrote:
Oh my!

So sad that this is my only real post is a week or so!

pburke

georgms wrote:

A view from a slightly greater distance to the tuba-player would have been ideal for a better composition, but the Navy-folks are always worried about press-folks toppling over lines or disturbing the ceremonies, so I was on a short leash ;-)

Peter, the two S-boats were coming home from a 1-year-long deployment in the Mediterranean (UNIFIL-mission).

Here's another personal picture I took this morning, I think armies equipped with such heavy artillery don't need other guns or rockets ;-)

looks almost as lethal as a record player with a Yoko Ono album on it... what's on the top of the big guy's hat?

had to look up what UNIFIL is - around here, such things are on the very back pages of the news.

pburke

jhinkey wrote:

So sad that this is my only real post is a week or so!

I'll make up the difference. Took the camera on another commute ride shoot today.

jhinkey

georgms wrote:

Your mis-focused shots are better than most of my focused shots!

pburke

3-shot panorama the other way - scrollable pano I guess. The original stitch is over 10,000 pixels tall. 300mm f/4.5 ED 1/640s f/5.6 handheld

click here for a bigger one (1024x3256)

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3133

jhinkey wrote:
georgms wrote:

Your mis-focused shots are better than most of my focused shots!

Ditto!

1       2       3              2879      
       2881              4430       4431       end