Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2872

1       2       3              2872      
       2874              4187       4188       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 9198

pburke wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Confessions of a post processing addict. My "Ray of Light" image was NOT natural light. It was done with the new radial filter in LR5. But thanks for the kind comments.

I never use such features

leighton w

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks guys
Really great shots Leighton ,Mark ,Peter ,Philippe, Ray ,Georg, Rafael, and kevin

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nitro sure is a photogenic!

leighton w

pburke wrote:
raboof wrote:
OK, inspired. Time to take out my 180mm.

I have to look away - am saving for that 600mm and really don't need a 180ED, I think... maybe I just want a dog like that.

Too bad, because this looks like a very nice one with a good price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikkor-by-Nikon-180mm-f2-8-AIS-ED-Prime-Beautiful-with-Manual-/221229468841?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item33824dcca9

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2836

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks guys
Really great shots Leighton ,Mark ,Peter ,Philippe, Ray ,Georg, Rafael, and kevin

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr
The sharpness you achieve is nothing less than staggering to me...

pburke
Total Posts: 1958

leighton w wrote:
pburke wrote:
raboof wrote:
OK, inspired. Time to take out my 180mm.

I have to look away - am saving for that 600mm and really don't need a 180ED, I think... maybe I just want a dog like that.

Too bad, because this looks like a very nice one with a good price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikkor-by-Nikon-180mm-f2-8-AIS-ED-Prime-Beautiful-with-Manual-/221229468841?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item33824dcca9

nice lens - but it falls into a range I rarely use. I have a AI'd 135mm f2.8 and have never taken a shot with it on the D600 - maybe I need to take that one out for a 15 minute photo challenge first

Jorge Torralba
Total Posts: 2450

MDoc9523 wrote:

Jorge cool shots -what camera is the young lad using?

I gave him an F6 Treats it like it's the last camera on earth.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2836

Jorge Torralba wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Jorge cool shots -what camera is the young lad using?

I gave him an F6 Treats it like it's the last camera on earth.

Awesome. That was a great shot too!

georgms
Total Posts: 3352

Ronny, your Nitro-portraits are all amazing. The light on the last one is fantastic.

Peter from Knysna, that's a wonderful country you're living in and you're fine pictures are reflecting this.

Leighton, very cool example of your LR-magic!
I just discovered the adjustment-brush (or however it's called) in Camera Raw and feel like lightyears behind when it comes to modern image processing-technique ;-)

Ray, I like your moody portrait.
A slightly "richer" exposure would bring a bit more detail into the dark parts of his face. But the light in clubs is usually tricky.
Sometimes (musical) notes can make a nice reflector and bring some light into the musicians face.
I really like the flowing curves/shapes in your fisheye-set - well done!

Philippe, I like the slightly off-centered composition of your architecture-shot. Although I'm not a great fan of glassy facades I'm thankful for the photographic opportunities they offer.

Peter from Madison, it's kinda funny that I've shot a picture of "West-Berlin" from the "Fernsehturm" (TV-Tower) that is hidden behind the tree at the left side of your wall-image.
I don't recall the year, it could have been 1986 too. I had a TLR back then, and also a Werra for traveling (a well made camera from East-Germany).
I'm more than happy to live in a democracy now, but growing up in a so called "communist state" is a part of my life I don't wanna "raze out" of my memory.

georgms

Peter & Peter, Paul, Leighton, Ray and Ray, Jeff and Philippe - thanks for your comments! I'm really glad you like the architecture-shots.

pburke

georgms wrote: Peter from Madison, it's kinda funny that I've shot a picture of "West-Berlin" from the "Fernsehturm" (TV-Tower) that is hidden behind the tree at the left side of your wall-image.
I don't recall the year, it could have been 1986 too. I had a TLR back then, and also a Werra for traveling (a well made camera from East-Germany).
I'm more than happy to live in a democracy now, but growing up in a so called "communist state" is a part of my life I don't wanna "raze out" of my memory.

My first camera was a "communist made" Exakta SLR with a set of M42 lenses - all manual. It fell apart in about 2 years of light use. The 50mm lens was an f/2.8 and it wasn't a macro lens!

The used early 70s Nikkormat I bought later was all I could afford and I still have it today. The light seals are rotted away, so I can't use it any longer. Tried to repair it but it is rather tedious and my first attempt to fix it myself was a complete fail.

Funny that today on ebay, the Exakta cameras list for much more than the Nikkormat, probably because they look a lot more "vintage"

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1080

pburke wrote:
kwoodard wrote: The only thing I find odd about the image is the Budweiser sign behind the performer, looks almost solarized... Other than that, I like both! (I can't get my brain around using the adjustment brush in ACR, I always wait until I pull the image into PS)

I spend 95% of my image editing in ACR, and the local adjustment brush is where most of the time is spent in images that need some help. It is like I am back in the darkroom, just without the chemical smell all around me. Auto-mask is still something I haven't figured out yet - when does it work and when does it not? There's little explanation as to what it users to determine the mask, so I usually do it manually with a lot of zooming. The part I hate is that you cannot scroll around in a large image while zoomed in - only up/down with the mouse wheel - have yet to figure out how to go left right without leaving the tool and starting a new brush once I adjust the view.

If you are on a PC, hold down the spacebar, and you can pan around with the mouse.

mp356
Total Posts: 4262

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Jeff's pine shot makes me remember this one taken in Provence with the 50/1.8 ais :

Lovely castle and tree Philippe!

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:
I got out for a little bit last night after the rain, around our complex. Using the D600 and the 16mm 3.5. I loved this lens on my D7000 and I think I love it as much on the D600.

Ray I like the colors and contrast in this one.

mp356

leighton w wrote:
georgms wrote:
A short series from today, subject was some modern architecture:

Jakobikirchplatz von georgsfoto auf Flickr
A sparrow is leaving the plane of focus - PC 85/2.8D (love this lens)

I love this one Georg, being wet helped a lot.

+1 Georg. Like this a lot!

mp356

Thank you Georg, Philippe, Peter, Jeff, and Ray for the comments.

Philippe, lovely street architecture scene.

Peter, nice panos.

Jeff, I like the old Kodak camera.

Rafael, the old truck is a classic.

Mihai, sorry to hear your surgery was postponed. All the best when the new day arrives.

georgms

pburke wrote:
georgms wrote: Peter from Madison, it's kinda funny that I've shot a picture of "West-Berlin" from the "Fernsehturm" (TV-Tower) that is hidden behind the tree at the left side of your wall-image.

My first camera was a "communist made" Exakta SLR with a set of M42 lenses - all manual. It fell apart in about 2 years of light use. The 50mm lens was an f/2.8 and it wasn't a macro lens!

The used early 70s Nikkormat I bought later was all I could afford and I still have it today. The light seals are rotted away, so I can't use it any longer. Tried to repair it but it is rather tedious and my first attempt to fix it myself was a complete fail.

Funny that today on ebay, the Exakta cameras list for much more than the Nikkormat, probably because they look a lot more "vintage"

Never used an Exakta nor the popular Exa. The 50/2.8-lenses were the budget-lenses, my later Praktica-outfit included a 50/1.8 and the 2.4/35 (the latter one is a pretty good lens, some folks over at the alt-forum love it on DSLR's). A fellow shooter who worked as a staff-photog for a newspaper in the late 80's got a Nikon FM2 together with a 28, 50 and 135mm Nikkor from the paper, what a lucky fella ;-).
I still have an old M42 Biotar 58/2 laying around, probably made in the 50's, will give it a try for some bokeh-fun at short range.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13025

I love reading through the thread and following the friendly banter going back and forth. Yes, we are very fortunate to have such a friendly gathering here, with help freely given and always appreciated. Some outstanding work with camera and lens as well.. I definitely love to be part of it. Thanks everyone.

pburke

pbraymond wrote:
pburke wrote:

I spend 95% of my image editing in ACR, and the local adjustment brush is where most of the time is spent in images that need some help. It is like I am back in the darkroom, just without the chemical smell all around me. Auto-mask is still something I haven't figured out yet - when does it work and when does it not? There's little explanation as to what it users to determine the mask, so I usually do it manually with a lot of zooming. The part I hate is that you cannot scroll around in a large image while zoomed in - only up/down with the mouse wheel - have yet to figure out how to go left right without leaving the tool and starting a new brush once I adjust the view.

If you are on a PC, hold down the spacebar, and you can pan around with the mouse.

Sweet, yes, PC version - will try it asap. I knew there had to be a way

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1356

leighton w wrote:
Thank you Curtis, Georg and Chuong.

Kevin - I like the second shot, it looks very "old-timey".

Rafael - I love the look of the first image of the old truck. That lens looks very interesting in deed and you also did a nice job in PP.

Philippe, great pine!

Dean, I will post more from the 5cm S this weekend.

Mark "I agree - I love the 'draw' of those lenses where the focal length is measured in cm...!"

Curtis, I love the history behind us all, it is admiration for the people that preceded us, upon their love an passions we exist. I find it so interesting to meet my Filipino friends at work, named after Felipe II, a Hapsburg; with their Spanish names and traditions. The French who helped the American revolution, and by invading Spain enabled South American independence, yet 60 years later were invading Mexico. The Americans who expanded their territorial possesions by invading Mexico first, and later expanded their colonial reach by warring with Spain. The Germans, whose first Holy Roman emperor was Carlos I of Spain, aka Emperor Charles V. The American Natives whose blood we shed and we carry, and we continue to opress in Latin America. The grandchildren of Queen Victoria: King, Kaiser and Tzar, who being family could not be kin.....and so on.....Mine is not a political stance, I hope and pray we are reaching the point where civilized people love each other and value our differences.

Peter, thanks for the comment, the vignetting of the 5 cm is natural. Love your dusty panos.

Is your dog for sale Ronny? It is so handsome.

This is about the 5cm S

This lens

nikon nikkor 5cm f 2 S D3 Taken with D200 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

It mounts as non-ai by slipping under the ai tab in my camera. There is no ai kit for it, if you cut the ring it will need a little tab added to mate the one on the camera as its diameter is small. It is the first normal for the F reflex, There were two versions only diff is 9 aperture blades early, six later. Mine has six.

Pictorial review here
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/28/nikkor-s-5cm-12-lens-review.aspx/

"In my 6-odd years behind the camera, Iíve not touched Photoshop; I prefer to use the unique rendition of different lenses to capture and/or create atmosphere and emotions. While the 50/1.2 AIs is really special, it just isnít the 5cm f/2 when it comes to rendition; I donít think any other lens is."

There is a review comparing it to the 50mm 1.8 AF here:
http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?art=117

Here is two comparison shots one at 2.0 the other at 5.6, processing identical. Copied settings from one to the other, then adjusted the center exposure to the same brightness.

nikon nikkor nkj 5cm 2.0 S D3 water truck Ramona California at 5.6 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor nkj 5cm 2.0 S D3 water truck Ramona California at 2.0 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

georgms

It's raining here again and the rain offered a different view on my surroundings:

glitzy von georgsfoto auf Flickr
a spider's web taken with my favorite MF-Nikkor, the PC 85/2.8D - wide open and at about minimum focusing distance

1       2       3              2872      
       2874              4187       4188       end