Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2866

1       2       3              2866      
       2868              5889       5890       end

Diallo_Jamal
Total Posts: 183

huddy wrote:
Wow, the thread is moving quickly... nearly 3000 pages!

Our little Malachi is nearly here so we took the opportunity to go take some maternity shots of Nikki.

Both with the D700 and 180/2.8 ED AI-S. To think that I toyed with selling that one... sheer madness. It is a desert island lens.

A nice lens and very nice shots, I am glad you decided to hang on to it.

Diallo_Jamal
Total Posts: 183

jaredvanb wrote:
So... I finally made some time to go do some shooting this afternoon after work. Made a point of using my little piece of magic glass in order to become more acquainted with it. What a lovely few hours of shooting it turned out to be! Plenty of over and under exposures (D5100 not a fan of the older MF lenses and I do not have a external exposure meter thingy haha) but that is how one learns though, isn't it?

Here are the first few from the outing... Enjoy!

Smuts House Memorial Building by jared.vanbergen, on Flickr

Regards
Jared

Terrific shot, and looks magnificent in B&W.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I'm impressed Buddy that you would own such an old/exotic lens. I'd come to believe it was only Andy in Austria who occasionally visited this thread who bought such lenses. But then I think he owns EVERY Nikon lens, AF and MF, so he has an excuse, as well as very deep pockets.

You seem to be leaving quite a few goodies out of your profile... mmm. Inquiring minds want to know what else you might be hiding...

CGrindahl

I hadn't expected we'd reach 60,000 posts today and went about the day giving it not a thought. Then I return home and see we're within ten posts to reach that quite dramatic number. Of course, we've long surpassed any of the threads on the Nikon forum and will surely never catch up with the Mustang Air to Air thread with its seventy plus thousand posts. But we've got something good going here, with old friends hanging around and new friends continuing to arrive. I'm honored to have my name on the thread. Thanks everyone!

CGrindahl

Great photo of Mark Philip. I'm delighted the two of you found a way so you could spend time together Zurich. I've only passed through Zurich on two occasions, going to and coming from a month long trip to Italy when I was much younger than I am now... I remember the place fondly and can imagine how much fun it would be to have a tour guide familiar with the place, especially one with whom I share this passion for MF lenses. You're a good looking young man Mark. Short hair becomes you.

And good luck with the job hunt Philip. What a wonderful possibility to be paid while living in Europe. I tried it twice and didn't pull it off... But then I didn't have the skills you bring to the job market.

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4110

I'm going to contribute one from the 105MM F1.8 tonight. Obviously stepped down quite a bit and long exposure. Happy 4th of July!

MJO_3306 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

CGrindahl

Sue and I took a short drive to Tiburon this afternoon to get relief from another very hot day in San Anselmo. Temperature approached 100. This hot spell is about a week old and it is wearing us down. That is especially true for Sue since she's packing up all her possessions in preparation for moving from her apartment. She leaves on Saturday and her possessions leave next Tuesday. But we found cooler weather near the water and had a lovely lunch while gazing out at the San Francisco skyline and a bay filled with boats. Fireworks tonight but not for us.

I was shooting with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, doing my best to shoot wide open. Here are a couple of shots...

Both were shot wide open with Sue walking away in the distance.

CGrindahl

This is it...

Matt slipped one in on me... Great shot Matt. Happy Fourth to you and your family as well.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Matt OHarver wrote:
I'm going to contribute one from the 105MM F1.8 tonight. Obviously stepped down quite a bit and long exposure. Happy 4th of July!

Nice one Matt!

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

CGrindahl wrote:

I was shooting with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, doing my best to shoot wide open.

Congratulations and thank you Curtis for guiding this thread to this point. It has certainly changed the way I photograph and given me the opportunity to interact with some wonderful people.
Scott

CGrindahl

I'm so glad you found us Scott because you have certainly become one of the rocks on which this thread is built. You're generous with your support and in sharing your work. I'm delighted that you and Leighton got to meet. We're definitely doing something here that is worth nourishing even as we enjoy it. All good. I've said many times that I may have started this thread but it really now belongs to everyone who spends time here. What a great group of folks to hang out with...

Matt OHarver

CGrindahl wrote:
This is it...

Matt slipped one in on me... Great shot Matt. Happy Fourth to you and your family as well.

Sorry Curtis! I'm glad you got the 60K post though! Congrats on your thread rocking and rolling!

Matt

CGrindahl

Not a problem Matt. I was lucky to be anywhere near the event. And I love that photo you posted. All good!

huddy
Total Posts: 1886

CGrindahl wrote:
Those are gorgeous Alan but then Nikki is gorgeous as well. Pregnancy becomes her... I get the sense young man that it is your intention to keep her that way as much as possible...

I'm concerned, however, about a teacher who is a SLOW LEARNER... It took you THIS long to realize the 180 f/2.8 AI-s is a desert island lens? I've been saying that for THREE years. I'm glad you've finally come to your senses.

Glad you stopped by one what is likely a very busy day for your family. Keep us informed about progress on the baby front.

Pregnancy is becoming for her (although she generally doesn't find it to becoming/enjoyable during weeks 38-40). I am well aware that the 180/2.8 ED AI-S is a phenomenal lens. I have many shots to prove that but it just seems to not make it onto the camera frequently enough that I had debated letting it go. Then all of a sudden this week, I've been using it left and right; such is the life of this particular lens though. I know that the 28, 35, and 50 FL's will always be my mainstays for shooting family work, but I always have to remember that 85/105 and 180's have their uses too.

I actually have tons of shots that I've been scanning in from the past year from Nikon film bodies and MF lenses, just haven't had time to post many yet. The little one should be arriving any day now!

Indeed this is a happy thread and one that I always come back to.

Diallo and Jared, welcome and some very nice work that you are both showing.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

Matt OHarver wrote:

Great shot! Was hoping to get some shots like this tonight... Way to hot, hit 112 and even with the sun down its still a hair over 100. Ugh.

Matt OHarver

huddy wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Those are gorgeous Alan but then Nikki is gorgeous as well. Pregnancy becomes her... I get the sense young man that it is your intention to keep her that way as much as possible...

I'm concerned, however, about a teacher who is a SLOW LEARNER... It took you THIS long to realize the 180 f/2.8 AI-s is a desert island lens? I've been saying that for THREE years. I'm glad you've finally come to your senses.

Glad you stopped by one what is likely a very busy day for your family. Keep us informed about progress on the baby front.

Pregnancy is becoming for her (although she generally doesn't find it to becoming/enjoyable during weeks 38-40). I am well aware that the 180/2.8 ED AI-S is a phenomenal lens. I have many shots to prove that but it just seems to not make it onto the camera frequently enough that I had debated letting it go. Then all of a sudden this week, I've been using it left and right; such is the life of this particular lens though. I know that the 28, 35, and 50 FL's will always be my mainstays for shooting family work, but I always have to remember that 85/105 and 180's have their uses too.

I actually have tons of shots that I've been scanning in from the past year from Nikon film bodies and MF lenses, just haven't had time to post many yet. The little one should be arriving any day now!

Indeed this is a happy thread and one that I always come back to.

Diallo and Jared, welcome and some very nice work that you are both showing.

Is this number 1 or number 2 child? I was thinking you already had one since I joined the thread? Or do I have you confused with someone?

Very nice shots!

Matt

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

Here are a couple more with the 28/3.5 that I repaired. I think I got infinity focus right the first time... These have a bit of work in post, but much less than other lenses in my kit.

First I think is so-so, but loved the colors. Light was 5pm harsh.

_DSC8867 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

I took this while trying to keep pace with a train. I was driving my manual car, guestimating my manual lens, at 47mph (which is how fast the trains go through my town).

_DSC8862 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8409

Went for a hike today in Wind Cave National Park and the weather was looking iffy - and it turned out to be iffy as lightning started firing up in the not-so-far distance, wind cranked up, and a few rain drops started falling before we quickly retreated back to the cars.

Short hike, but spectacular views!

45/2.8 AI-P & 16/3.5 AI

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8409

And a few more . . .

adh67
Total Posts: 561

I am little late, but happy fourth of July everyone.

Bert

1       2       3              2866      
       2868              5889       5890       end