Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2695

1       2       3              2695      
       2697              4180       4181       end

mp356
Total Posts: 4259

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Chin for adding that touch... it adds a great deal to the adventure, at least from my perspective. I'll be in touch with Ben and we'll work something out. Here is the first edition of photos taken with Nikki. I was at Spirit Rock Meditation Center this evening and brought Nikki with me. Here is a link to Spirit Rock, which is perhaps six or seven miles from where I live.

Spirit Rock Meditation Center in San Geronimo Valley

Night was coming on but I thought I'd grab a photo of the Buddha statues on display outside the meditation hall.

There isn't a hard click on the aperture ring at f/1.8 so it is tricky getting there consistently. This shows the aperture at f/2 though I had the ring turned to the end. And here are two Buddha statues for sale in the bookstore adjacent to the meditation hall. It is self service on an honor system. The statues both stood against windows opening to the adjacent woodland.

Eastern spiritual traditions are very well represented in the Bay Area. We have a great number of meditation centers in Marin. In addition to Spirit Rock there is Green Gulch Zen Center and the Vedanta Retreat Center. Perhaps I'll stop by Green Gulch so Nikki can see how Zen Buddhism, which has its roots in Japan, is faring her in American. San Francisco Zen Center was founded by Suzuki Roshi who trained in Japan.

Very nice series Curtis and a great start with Nikki.

mp356

Kry27 wrote:

And a series from Zurich Oerlikon train station, where my previously posted 85mm shot has been taken, and where I change train twice a day. All shot with the 105/2.5

And the journey into the golden morning light:

Really like the clarity and detail in this image. The curving lines draw your eye in. Keep them coming!

Kry27
Total Posts: 172

I just realized the small sky triangle in the top left corner - should that be cropped away?

Thank you, Scott

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2828

Kry27 wrote:
I just realized the small sky triangle in the top left corner - should that be cropped away?

Thank you, Scott

Until you mentioned it, never noticed it. Probably would crop it though. This was a great series you posted, I liked them very much.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9184

mp356 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Chin for adding that touch... it adds a great deal to the adventure, at least from my perspective. I'll be in touch with Ben and we'll work something out. Here is the first edition of photos taken with Nikki. I was at Spirit Rock Meditation Center this evening and brought Nikki with me. Here is a link to Spirit Rock, which is perhaps six or seven miles from where I live.

Spirit Rock Meditation Center in San Geronimo Valley

Night was coming on but I thought I'd grab a photo of the Buddha statues on display outside the meditation hall.

There isn't a hard click on the aperture ring at f/1.8 so it is tricky getting there consistently. This shows the aperture at f/2 though I had the ring turned to the end. And here are two Buddha statues for sale in the bookstore adjacent to the meditation hall. It is self service on an honor system. The statues both stood against windows opening to the adjacent woodland.

Eastern spiritual traditions are very well represented in the Bay Area. We have a great number of meditation centers in Marin. In addition to Spirit Rock there is Green Gulch Zen Center and the Vedanta Retreat Center. Perhaps I'll stop by Green Gulch so Nikki can see how Zen Buddhism, which has its roots in Japan, is faring her in American. San Francisco Zen Center was founded by Suzuki Roshi who trained in Japan.

Very nice series Curtis and a great start with Nikki.

+1

Kry27
Total Posts: 172

Yeah, the buddhas are very very worth a second, third... ... nine hundret and ninetyninth look...

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

leighton w wrote:
Roland, don't ever worry about posting lovely images such as these. We're all just having fun on here talking about and shooting with these wonderful lenses. Keep posting as I always enjoy seeing other parts of the world! After all, it's the only way I get to travel.

+1

love that last one Roland

ben

mp356

kwoodard wrote:
Kry27 wrote:

Thank you, Scott

Until you mentioned it, never noticed it. Probably would crop it though. This was a great series you posted, I liked them very much.

Roland, I agree with Kevin here regarding the triangle.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 843

MarkdV wrote:
Kry27 wrote:
Hey Mark, that's the same type of gondola as they use in Grindelwald/First...

Yeah...I was hoping you'd forgive the plagerism.

I was watching one of those Rick Steves travel shows on Grindewald a few days ago. A very beautiful place indeed. Keep em coming plagerism or not!

Reagan
Total Posts: 2909

Leave it to the people in California to come up with a new name for taking a nap. "Meditation"
Great photos everyone. I am not going to try to comment on all of them
Leaving about 3am to drive to South Carolina
The weather says its going to rain the whole drive and Sat-Sunday with a high about 46
So much for hiking till Tuesday. Maybe I will just meditate

Beautiful photos Curtis very soothing

Reagan

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13016

Just because you fall asleep when sitting quietly Reagan doesn't mean everyone does...

Today I visited Green Gulch Zen Center above Mill Valley on the opposite side of Mount Tamalpais from where I live to continue my introduction to the spiritual side of Marin County. I think Nikki is having a good time. Here are a couple of shots from the garden area. Since I can't resist flower shots I'll start there.

The tool shed in the middle of the extensive garden is a bit different from what one would ordinarily find... there is an altar within the darkened shed, illuminated by a skylight.

The statue is of Quan Yin, a feminine embodiment of compassion.

I'll return with more photos from Green Gulch but thought I'd drop in two photos of Muir Beach. Although it is possible to walk from Green Gulch to the beach, I drove along the curvy Highway 1. The first shot is taken from the road and shows the end of the Green Gulch gardens. The second is taken from the parking lot adjacent to the beach.

I'll add one more for the fun of it. I noticed the van in the parking lot with signs for a dog walker. This is what I found at the beach...

She had this hoard of dogs captivated and clearly was giving them a great workout...

CGrindahl

I'll post a couple of lens photos, the first of Nikki visiting Seawood Camera, our local camera shop. This was taken with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd.

Then with Nikki mounted, here is the lens I found on my doorstep when I returned home, the 35 f/2 O AI'd, which is in perfect condition.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5803

Well, I stopped by the local pro shop in downtown Seattle after having lunch with an old friend I had not seen in almost 10 years. Lunch was great with her, but I had brought my camera bag with me and was eager to see what they had in the used case.

Turns out they had not much interesting in the used case, but they did have the brand spankin' new 80-400/4.5-5.6 AFS VR. I also had my 400/5.6 ED AI with me, so I decide to do a side-by-side match as best I could with my D800. No tripod, but the 80-400 has VR and it was a nice sunny afternoon in Seattle for a change.

What was the upshod at 400mm? Well, in the center at f/5.6 and f/8 the brand new lens from Nikon just barely beat out the 30 year old lens - only noticeable at 100%. It was just a tad sharper and had a bit less CA. So I checked out the edges and far corners and what do you know? - The old 400/5.6 ED handily won that battle at both apertures tested. The new 80-400 was blurry and wavy for sure while the 400/5.6 ED was just slightly less sharp in the far corners.

So, if you need 400mm and don't need VR or AF, then save yourself $2K and find a 400/5.6 ED or ED-IF . . .

PS - I also was not that impressed with the VR steadiness at 400mm - my 70-200/4 + TC20EIII seemed much much more rock steady than the 80-400/4.5-5.6 AFS VR.

Really to do it right I would need to put both lenses on a tripod, but both hand held - one with VR and the other not - is not so bad of a comparison. Some pictures later.

- John

jhinkey

Here's some pictures to back up my findings.

jhinkey

And a few more from the center showing the 80-400AFS VR (top) is just a bit better than the 400/5.6 ED AI (bottom).

John

Oosty
Total Posts: 4026

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm glad you said it just that way Mark, because so many talented photographers have put Nikki through her paces over the last tens months that I'll have to scramble to make a worthwhile contribution to this thread and to the blog. But I'm game and I think I can find a few interesting places I've not reported on before, at least on this thread. Nikki is a gorgeous lens at one of my favorite focal lengths, so this should be a pleasure. But today is my partner's birthday and I have a class this evening, so Nikki will have to wait a bit...

From my memories of SF I think you should avoid the area round Columbus Avenue - she may be shocked by the strip joints!

I wandered into the area by accident but very quickly got the hell out of there!!

CGrindahl

I don't think Carol Doda is still there but I wouldn't be surprised if there were still a few strippers in the area. They cater to tourists Peter...

The way I look at it is that having spent two weeks in Paris with Philippe, Nikki should be ready for just about anything... even California wine...

Or beer...

Or cheese...

CGrindahl

I thought to get a flavor of this region, I should show folks on the thread the abundance of food and beverages. I shot these at a Whole Foods store in Mill Valley where I stopped for lunch. I don't believe there are many places on earth where there is such abundance of great produce and food.

Oosty

Cheese and wine? Sounds like a great idea for a party!

As an envious bystander to Nikki's trip I've loved her adventure and I've often thought about asking if I could change my original decision especially since our post office has really cleaned up its act. Every lens I've bought has come by post without any glitch as have gifts from my son in the US.

However, I am ever mindful of Murphy which is why I refrained from dropping you or Ben a line. Maybe we'll go back to Sydney again..........................

Oosty

Really nice images for openers Curtis and I think the round the world card is such a good gesture.

As I think back on the adventure I remember Chin's poetic captions which kicked it off and the great spirit in which the entire trip has unfolded.

Thanks to everyone for sharing so far - it's appropriate that the man to see her off from the US is our lens guru.

1       2       3              2695      
       2697              4180       4181       end