Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2679

1       2       3              2679      
       2681              4378       4379       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2682

Thank you Curtis (loved the link, the Cornell Lab is a world reference for Ornithology); Jeff, Samy. Ronny, Rafael and mark for the kind comments.

Samy, outstanding Baltimore series + bokeh playing + deer capture;

Jeff, very special "Green Rock" scenario;

Mark, loved the lonely chair.

asiostygius

Some images of Pompeii's water system.

Terracota water pipe embedded in the wall at Pompeii. Many houses at Pompeii had 2 storeys.

Terracota water pipe embedded in the wall at Pompeii by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 200, f/8 at 1/100s. ~15% cropped.

Terracota water pipe embedded in the wall at Pompeii - 2 vertical shots pano by labecoaves, on Flickr

2 vertical shots pano.
D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 200, f/5.6 at 1/60s.

Plumbing system at Pompeii's pavement:

Plumbing system at Pompeii's pavement by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 200, f/11 at 1/25s.

Remains of Plumbing system at Pompeii's pavement by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 200, f/11 at 1/40s.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

kwoodard wrote:
Just got a chance to look at some of the images I took today with the new to me Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8 that has been AI'd. Some images look OK, others are out of focus. This lens is very difficult to find critical focus through the viewfinder. I am going to try "DOTune" to see if I can even get the green focus indicator even into the ballpark. Here are a few SOC (literally, these are the JPEGs the camera produces, not a darn thing done to them except upload to Flickr)

DSC_6890 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

I also got more stuff today (all free to me, nobody shoots Nikon in the photography department, they have no need of any of it, so they gave most of it to me). I got another Series E 50mm, but it has seen better days. Looks like coffee or hot cocoa was spilled on it. Needs to be cleaned BADLY. I also got a Stroboframe, seems to be an off-camera flash mount. Not sure if I will ever use it. Attached to it was a Nikon SC17 flash cable. Now this was something I have been interested in acquiring. I have an old SB18 Flash that I pulled out of mothballs and decided to try it out. For being as old as it is, works surprisingly well. I never have used a flash, so I don't really know what I am doing, but I will learn. Looking at the pinout, I am guessing there are 5 wires inside that cable and I am thinking of splicing in some old CAT5 to increase my range (since I am on a shoestring budget, cannot afford a wireless trigger). If my math is right, I should be able to go about 45 feet. Interesting possibilities.

Great job Kevin!!!

MDoc9523

Once again amazing Jose. Quite an advanced society and your photos make me think about the chaos of the fateful day.

mp356
Total Posts: 4417

saph wrote:
Uh oh

Maybe I should have stuck to scenery and bokeh shots Here's one just having fun with the 85 1.4 AIS.

Samy, I like this very much. Be careful not to stir up those guys from below the Mason Dixon Line.

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:
Jeff that second shot is simply wonderful!

+1 Jeff. Really like the second one here.

mp356

MarkdV wrote:
In a slightly different vein, here are a couple from the 300mm f4.5 with 1.4TC attached.

Mark, I like the isolated chair.

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Just got a chance to look at some of the images I took today with the new to me Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8 that has been AI'd. Some images look OK, others are out of focus. This lens is very difficult to find critical focus through the viewfinder. I am going to try "DOTune" to see if I can even get the green focus indicator even into the ballpark. Here are a few SOC (literally, these are the JPEGs the camera produces, not a darn thing done to them except upload to Flickr)

DSC_6890 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

I also got more stuff today (all free to me, nobody shoots Nikon in the photography department, they have no need of any of it, so they gave most of it to me). I got another Series E 50mm, but it has seen better days. Looks like coffee or hot cocoa was spilled on it. Needs to be cleaned BADLY. I also got a Stroboframe, seems to be an off-camera flash mount. Not sure if I will ever use it. Attached to it was a Nikon SC17 flash cable. Now this was something I have been interested in acquiring. I have an old SB18 Flash that I pulled out of mothballs and decided to try it out. For being as old as it is, works surprisingly well. I never have used a flash, so I don't really know what I am doing, but I will learn. Looking at the pinout, I am guessing there are 5 wires inside that cable and I am thinking of splicing in some old CAT5 to increase my range (since I am on a shoestring budget, cannot afford a wireless trigger). If my math is right, I should be able to go about 45 feet. Interesting possibilities.

Great job Kevin!!!

+1 Kevin.

mp356

Thank you everyone for the comments on the frozen construction equipment.

For anyone with a current bout of NMFAS, a nice looking 28 2.8 ais just came up on the BS board.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1522

I thought you may get a kick out of this: My D3 and D800 are very clean cameras, inside that is, the D3 needed several sensor cleanings when new, but it no longer needs any, I am very careful changing lenses, blowing the new lens clean before changing and never doing it in a dusty environment. I blow the sensor once in a while with canned air, which I would not recommend, but it works for me.

My D800 has simply been very clean since new, I have sensor cleaning turned off and only run the built in cleaning once in a couple of months, when I see a Little dust at f16 or higher.

Just cleaned the D3 by blowing canned air and it is perfect, the D800 was stubbornly refusing to release a few specs with built in cleaning and canned air. While downloading samples I forgot the cable was connected to the camera and dropped it about four feet, luckily onto padded carpet.

The shade took the hit, an HN24, it was mounted on a 62-52mm adapter on the 50mm 1.2. The shade was very bent and the adapter is now useless. Nothing else seemed bent or damaged.I was very worried and rushed out to test the camera at 1.2.

Happy to report the camera and lens are still perfectly good, the field is as flat as it ever was, all corners perform the same with the 50mm at 1.2. Best test I know for this.

The kicker is that the hit from the fall left the sensor perfectly clean!!

An accidental cleaning by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the lens and camera perfectly aligned at 1.2, there is a fair amount of natural fog in this shot

After the fall at 1.2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

I have told you before how sharp the 50mm is at 1.2, and that mine cannot be focused fully open with the indicator lights. Here is a crop, again with fog. 100% on Flickr.

After the fall at 1.2 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1121

Thanks guys for the comments on the green rock shot.

Samy, I really like the wall and cannon.

Rafael, In addition to your beautiful color photos, the Zapata b&w is a very fine composition.

Kevin, great flowers.

Mark, beautiful snow and mountain shots, and I really like the chair.

Philippe, beautiful colors and composition on the Orchestre poster.

Jose, fascinating shots of Pompeii plumbing.

asiostygius

Thanks Ray and Jeff.

Just a little break from Pompeii, this is one of the firsts shots with a unusual couple:
a ~1963/1964 made Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 P Sonnar with a 2012 made D600:

Late afternoon contrasty sky x clouds at neighbour's buildings:

Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 P (Sonnar) test shot. by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikon D600 + Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 hand held, ISO 200, f/8 at 1/250s.
The scalloped ring is a joy to use and looks like more durable than the rubber rings.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3058

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Ray and Jeff.

Just a little break from Pompeii, this is one of the firsts shots with a unusual couple:

The scalloped ring is a joy to use and looks like more durable than the rubber rings.

Love it! I am digging the old design too. I have one workable one (the 135 I posted pics of earlier) and it feels so much more substantial than the newer glass.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3058

Here is another shot with the Nikkor-Q 135 f/2.8.

DSC_6916 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6139

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Ray and Jeff.

Hah! A lens that's older than me! I wish I still worked that well!

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

Lieutenant Z wrote:
I sold my 2/35 Zeiss and just keep the 1.4/85 Planar.

50 1.8 ais :

why?

ben

montym
Total Posts: 4711

Hi guys and gals. I wonder if I could ask for a little advice?

I sold my 20mm f/2.8 MF lens on eBay. The buyer is having trouble getting the lens to communicate with the camera (a D600).

Hi Monty, I get the lens yesterday, looks beautiful, thank you.
I have a Nikon D600 and when I installed the lens in my camera shows f--.
You stated to used this lens in a same camera, I fix the information on the non cpu lens menu, but the same message come up.( f--)
Is anything that I need to ajust in the camera to let it lens work?
I really appreciate if you get back to me.

My suggestion was to reseat the lens. Take it off and put it back on. If that doesn't work then clean the contacts on the camera and lens. I cannot think of what else the problem might be?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Monty

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1522

This will get me in trouble as it has no photographic merit of any sort.

D3 with 28mm 2.0 ais, just received my new top for the C3:

_DSC2689 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Here is the old top, ready for the trash, as soon as I can get the new one on. Getting the old one off was easy and the frame is in great condition, this being a California rust free car.

_DSC2690 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the topless car, waiting - will show you the end result. Half the work will be cleaning the frame to perfection.

_DSC2693 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

MDoc9523

montym wrote:

I sold my 20mm f/2.8 MF lens on eBay. The buyer is having trouble getting the lens to communicate with the camera (a D600).

You stated to used this lens in a same camera, I fix the information on the non cpu lens menu, but the same message come up.( f--)

My suggestion was to reseat the lens. Take it off and put it back on. If that doesn't work then clean the contacts on the camera and lens. I cannot think of what else the problem might be?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Monty

Monty the simple answer may be that It will only work in A and M any other it will show f....

montym
Total Posts: 4711

Excellent!!!!!!
Thanks so much.
I have always had my camera on "M" and that is what I never saw it!

Thanks

MDoc9523 wrote:
montym wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Monty

Monty the simple answer may be that It will only work in A and M any other it will show f....

1       2       3              2679      
       2681              4378       4379       end