Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2678

1       2       3              2678      
       2680              4427       4428       end

saph
Total Posts: 2489

Jeff, that second shot with the cliff algae is outstandingly executed.

Here's one more from today with the 5.8cm 1.4S. May also bring over the 50 1.2 or 55 1.2 to retry this shot with those lenses another time.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3124

Samy, I wonder how that cannon shot would look if the whole cannon is in focus? I like the concept of the shot.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13605

Mescalamba wrote:
bruni wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
My latest lens arrived this afternoon, the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Although it came without a front cap and had some adhesive at two locations on the focusing ring, the lens is in pristine condition WITH the AI conversion kit. I easily got rid of the adhesive with an alcohol swab and then took a few photos. Here's one closeup, wide open. This lens has Close Range Correction. (CRC)

From left to right... 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd, 85 f/1.8 H AI'd, 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, 50 f/1.4 S.C., 50 f/1.4 S AI'd, 50 f/2 H.C. AI'd, 28 f/3.5 H AI'd, and 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd

Curtis, congrats on the new lens, great debut shot!

What a beautiful scalloped lens collection.
From the limited experiences I have with my 35/2 O and Sonnar 105/2.5 P, I feel better focusing with scalloped rings than ruber ones.

I see the great enabler is back (not too oblique for you I hope Curtis).

Yes, there's the 35 f2 and the 20mm f3.5 UD missing. The 20 is a beautiful chunk of metal - Rafael's been showing it off lately. You've really bunkered down on that 50 - 55 mm range - I didn't realise you'd bought 4 of them.

well done!!

ben.

Thats seriously WOW!

Wonder how all of these perform. While this thread shows that old Nikkors are more than just usable today, it would be nice to have something like Dyxum and their lens database (lens - description - rationg - sample photos).

They are amazing lenses for sure...

We've toyed with the idea in the past of creating a wiki focusing on these lenses but nothing has come of that. At one time Fred said he would be willing to add a section of Nikon MF lenses in the review section so that we could comment but that too has slipped past. Perhaps with the approaching end of our Great Lens Adventure we'll turn to one or the other of those options to mobilize our creative spirits. These lenses are definitely an unending source of pleasure, both to look at and to use. Some lenses get more use than others, but I think most of us participating on this thread buy these lenses to use them. I certainly do. Glad you dropped by.

saph
Total Posts: 2489

Kevin, thanks for the suggestion, yes, I will try at f/8 instead of f/2.8 next time, hopefully a brighter day.

These deer wandered by in the evening. Only option at a moment's notice was the 135 f2 AIS. This was at 1/200s, ISO 1250 and f/4.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1548

CGrindahl wrote:
Love the graffiti Rafael and definitely envy you that fine 20 f/3.5 UD lens. That is another of the pre-AI lenses not likely to be added to my kit, simply because they demand a premium... fast and wide will do that every time. Excellent work with it.

Curtis, I bought my lens on e-bay from Australia of all places, $200 a while back, (8 years?), used it on film with good success, (F and F2s) but it was left behing in my moving to digital as it is not AI converted. Finally I got around to trying it on the D3 and D800, and to my surprise it fits by slipping under the ai tab with no stress. To my further surprise it is very sharp and has really good color and contrast, as long as you keep the front element away from the sunlight. It is sharp on the D3, period, it is sharp on the D800 but you need to watch your focus range/depth of field carefully. The exposure on a non-coupled lens gets tricky, you have to dial in the right amount of compensation.

Certainly enjoy this UD 20mm far more than my 20mm 2.8 AFD.
Rafael

saph wrote:
Quick visit to Federal Hill area of Baltimore, which boasts a panoramic view of the city's Inner Harbor.

Samy, Beautiful set of photos with a great set of lenses. Like all but particularly the old look of the 5.8cm, the cannon most.

Jeff, great algae!

Jose, thanks for Pompeii.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1548

Emiliano Zapata under the I-5 Overpass. NKJ UD.

Emilliano Zapata under the I5 Overpass by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the last one, heavily processsed.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D3 from elements to heaven San Diego Logan Chicano Park by Rafael CA, on Flickr

kwoodard

Looks like we got some forum updates...wish we got multi-quote though...

kwoodard

Just got a chance to look at some of the images I took today with the new to me Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8 that has been AI'd. Some images look OK, others are out of focus. This lens is very difficult to find critical focus through the viewfinder. I am going to try "DOTune" to see if I can even get the green focus indicator even into the ballpark. Here are a few SOC (literally, these are the JPEGs the camera produces, not a darn thing done to them except upload to Flickr)

DSC_6895 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_6890 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_6914 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

I also got more stuff today (all free to me, nobody shoots Nikon in the photography department, they have no need of any of it, so they gave most of it to me). I got another Series E 50mm, but it has seen better days. Looks like coffee or hot cocoa was spilled on it. Needs to be cleaned BADLY. I also got a Stroboframe, seems to be an off-camera flash mount. Not sure if I will ever use it. Attached to it was a Nikon SC17 flash cable. Now this was something I have been interested in acquiring. I have an old SB18 Flash that I pulled out of mothballs and decided to try it out. For being as old as it is, works surprisingly well. I never have used a flash, so I don't really know what I am doing, but I will learn. Looking at the pinout, I am guessing there are 5 wires inside that cable and I am thinking of splicing in some old CAT5 to increase my range (since I am on a shoestring budget, cannot afford a wireless trigger). If my math is right, I should be able to go about 45 feet. Interesting possibilities.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 772

Amazing photos from the last few days everyone. Love the green mossy rock, the park under the freeway, the Baltimore shots, the flower shots, the ongoing Pompeii series, the Alaskan sunset (did you see the comet Mike?) and Leightons' latest moody snowy landscape shot.

Here's a couple from a trip up the mountain at Flumserberg, weather was terrible so had to grab a brief moment when the clouds cleared enough to see something. Luckily I took the 180mm, what a lens.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 772

In a slightly different vein, here are a couple from the 300mm f4.5 with 1.4TC attached.

Reagan
Total Posts: 3186

MarkdV wrote:
Amazing photos from the last few days everyone. Love the green mossy rock, the park under the freeway, the Baltimore shots, the flower shots, the ongoing Pompeii series, the Alaskan sunset (did you see the comet Mike?) and Leightons' latest moody snowy landscape shot.

+1 on what Mark said Great job

Reagan

Oosty
Total Posts: 4051

MDoc9523 wrote:
Beautiful shots Samy. You gotta love the 85mm 1.4. It's so versatile!

+1

Oosty

Foggy14 wrote:
leighton w wrote:Thanks Jeff, but you really MUST visit more so you don't have such a long comment list.

Thanks Leighton! I'll try to do that.

Here are a couple of long exposures to share:

Both are great, Jeff. I've got to get up earlier or stay on the beach later!

Oosty

MarkdV wrote:
In a slightly different vein, here are a couple from the 300mm f4.5 with 1.4TC attached.

Mark - such interesting shots in such lousy weather. i hate to say this but the sun's shining and it's 28*C here..... of course there's no skiing

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3046

leighton w wrote:
One from the recent snow storm.

great atmosphere !

Lieutenant Z

Samy love the cannon
Rafael, Zapata is beautiful

Lieutenant Z

I sold my 2/35 Zeiss and just keep the 1.4/85 Planar.

50 1.8 ais :

sbarricklow
Total Posts: 2105

Rafael, Very interesting art genre that you are documenting. Thanks!

rankamateur
Total Posts: 861

kwoodard wrote:
50mm f/1.4 Serial 744XXX S-Auto. Manufactured between 68-72. Has some sort of scratches on the front element.

50mm f/1.4 Serial 286XXXX. Manufactured 74-76. Seems to be in good shape, would like to get this one converted.

I have a question that you all may know. I have the above two lenses. The older one is beautiful, but the front and rear elements have seen better days. The other one is OK, but the glass is great. Does anyone know if I can take the elements from the newer lens and put them into the older lens, make a hybrid of sorts?

(This is a serious question, I don't like how the newer lens feels, its very gritty and the element moves around a lot)

Short answer is nope! Different animals

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2701

kwoodard wrote:
Just got a chance to look at some of the images I took today with the new to me Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8 that has been AI'd. Some images look OK, others are out of focus. This lens is very difficult to find critical focus through the viewfinder. I am going to try "DOTune" to see if I can even get the green focus indicator even into the ballpark. Here are a few SOC (literally, these are the JPEGs the camera produces, not a darn thing done to them except upload to Flickr)

DSC_6895 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_6914 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

I also got more stuff today (all free to me, nobody shoots Nikon in the photography department, they have no need of any of it, so they gave most of it to me). I got another Series E 50mm, but it has seen better days. Looks like coffee or hot cocoa was spilled on it. Needs to be cleaned BADLY. I also got a Stroboframe, seems to be an off-camera flash mount. Not sure if I will ever use it. Attached to it was a Nikon SC17 flash cable. Now this was something I have been interested in acquiring. I have an old SB18 Flash that I pulled out of mothballs and decided to try it out. For being as old as it is, works surprisingly well. I never have used a flash, so I don't really know what I am doing, but I will learn. Looking at the pinout, I am guessing there are 5 wires inside that cable and I am thinking of splicing in some old CAT5 to increase my range (since I am on a shoestring budget, cannot afford a wireless trigger). If my math is right, I should be able to go about 45 feet. Interesting possibilities.

Kevin, liked the most these two, great work!

1       2       3              2678      
       2680              4427       4428       end