Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2674

1       2       3              2674      
       2676              4368       4369       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2678

CGrindahl wrote:
My latest lens arrived this afternoon, the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Although it came without a front cap and had some adhesive at two locations on the focusing ring, the lens is in pristine condition WITH the AI conversion kit. I easily got rid of the adhesive with an alcohol swab and then took a few photos. Here's one closeup, wide open. This lens has Close Range Correction. (CRC)

From left to right... 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd, 85 f/1.8 H AI'd, 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, 50 f/1.4 S.C., 50 f/1.4 S AI'd, 50 f/2 H.C. AI'd, 28 f/3.5 H AI'd, and 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd

Curtis, congrats on the new lens, great debut shot!

What a beautiful scalloped lens collection.
From the limited experiences I have with my 35/2 O and Sonnar 105/2.5 P, I feel better focusing with scalloped rings than ruber ones.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13316

As Ben observed if obliquely, for anyone experimenting with MF Nikkors, it is very worthwhile to consider these older lenses. No doubt the scalloped metal focusing ring is a very nice feature. I have in no way been disappointed by performance of these lenses, even the older version without the latest coating. I've no doubt that modern lenses handle light bouncing around inside lenses better and therefore reduce some of the peculiarities we find with these lenses. But that can be part of their charm. Although Nikon turned away from the Sonnar design for the 105 f/2.5, the P lens is a great performer. This is all great fun for me, and I expect for others who spend time on this thread

I'm not certain whether I'll pick up a 35 f/2 converted pre-AI lens but that would likely be my final purchase for this type of lens. As i mentioned before, the 35 f/1.4 and 28 f/2 are pricey. Since I already have AI-s versions of both of those lenses, I hardly need to make that kind of investment. When I can pick up lenses at or below a hundred dollars, it is an easy decision to make. At $500 I don't believe I could press the Buy button on E-Bay...

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Oosty wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the comments on the D600 and 16mm 3.5. Here is the second part of my first outing with the D600. This time I used the 300mm 4.5 EDIF. One extreme to the other

Ray - these are good pics. Please show exif while you're in the honeymoon phase - it helps those on the cusp

Thank you everyone. I will show the exif on future shots. These using the 300mm are all wide open at 4.5
The D600 has certainly impressed me!

MDoc9523

leighton w wrote:
Ray, love the flower shot. Are you shooting raw?

No these are all in jpg fine large. I shot some in raw but to tell you the truth I can't tell the difference.

asiostygius

Thank you Ray, Peter, Reagan and James for the kind words.

Continuing my Pompeii "saga", in this small room or "cubiculum" at the House of Apollo:

Cubiculum at the house of Apollo. by labecoaves, on Flickr

I have found some of the best preserved mosaics at outside wall:

Achilles being recognised by Ulysses on Skyros by labecoaves, on Flickr
D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 500, f/11 at 1/400s.

and paintings inside the room:

Painting at the house of Apollo - 2 shots pano by labecoaves, on Flickr

2 horizontal shots pano of a mythological scene of the contest between Venus and Hesperus, Apollo as a judge in the centre. At the bottom, the painting is of faux marble panels.
D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 1600, f/5.6 at 1/320s.

and a closer view (excuse the 2000 px version):

A closer view of Venus x Hesperus under Apollo´s judgement by labecoaves, on Flickr
Single shot ~15% cropped.

As we cannot use flash to protect the paintings, the ISO 1600 capability of D7000 was very useful.

asiostygius

CGrindahl wrote:
As Ben observed if obliquely, for anyone experimenting with MF Nikkors, it is very worthwhile to consider these older lenses. No doubt the scalloped metal focusing ring is a very nice feature. I have in no way been disappointed by performance of these lenses, even the older version without the latest coating. I've no doubt that modern lenses handle light bouncing around inside lenses better and therefore reduce some of the peculiarities we find with these lenses. But that can be part of their charm. Although Nikon turned away from the Sonnar design for the 105 f/2.5, the P lens is a great performer. This is all great fun for me, and I expect for others who spend time on this thread

I'm not certain whether I'll pick up a 35 f/2 converted pre-AI lens but that would likely be my final purchase for this type of lens. As i mentioned before, the 35 f/1.4 and 28 f/2 are pricey. Since I already have AI-s versions of both of those lenses, I hardly need to make that kind of investment. When I can pick up lenses at or below a hundred dollars, it is an easy decision to make. At $500 I don't believe I could press the Buy button on E-Bay...

Curtis, this lens is surely for you:

http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_35mm_f2_841679.html

MDoc9523

Oosty wrote:
One from Tuesday and one from this afternoon!

What a lovely shot Peter

MDoc9523

CGrindahl wrote:
My latest lens arrived this afternoon, the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Although it came without a front cap and had some adhesive at two locations on the focusing ring, the lens is in pristine condition WITH the AI conversion kit. I easily got rid of the adhesive with an alcohol swab and then took a few photos. Here's one closeup, wide open. This lens has Close Range Correction. (CRC)

I thought this might be a good time to post a photo of my pre-AI lenses, all but one of which have been converted with the Nikon kits.

From left to right... 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd, 85 f/1.8 H AI'd, 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, 50 f/1.4 S.C., 50 f/1.4 S AI'd, 50 f/2 H.C. AI'd, 28 f/3.5 H AI'd, and 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd

What a wonderful collection, certainly fitting of the one who started a thread about these lenses!!!!

MDoc9523

Jose that last photo is for sure my favorite one par-excellence!

MDoc9523

Today I used the 85mm 1.4 on the new D600. My first observation was how much easier it was to see the focus. I have pretty good eye sight and still this viewfinder made a world of difference. The first was at 1.4, second at 2.0 and third at 2.8

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1111

Tony, the dolls are "interesting", and the more I think about it a little creepy. Great follow up though with your favorite tree and cattle shot! Also looked at the lens blog, just a great start to the Nikki entries!

Peter, "Gericke's point, Sedgefield" is nicely done with super composition and color, I always have trouble getting the color and saturation right on a cloudy day like you had; need to work on my PP skills.

Very cool lens collection Curtis. I wonder if you can score good deals at those "travelling" camera shows; it has been probably 10 years since I've been to one.

Lastly for Reagan, a larger sample of the barn shot... thanks to the others for the kind comments on the shots ... feels good to be able to have something to contribute to this fine thread.

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1111

MDoc9523 wrote:
Today I used the 85mm 1.4 on the new D600. My first observation was how much easier it was to see the focus. I have pretty good eye sight and still this viewfinder made a world of difference. The first was at 1.4, second at 2.0 and third at 2.8

First rate flower pics Ray! Looks like your excellent skills were just waiting for FX to be fully unleashed! Just kidding, your DX stuff was just as enjoyable.

MDoc9523

Thank you Ray I agree with Reagan that looks much better in the larger size!

mp356
Total Posts: 4409

Oosty wrote:
One from Tuesday and one from this afternoon!

Peter, I like the first one here.

mp356

asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Ray, Peter, Reagan and James for the kind words.

Continuing my Pompeii "saga", in this small room or "cubiculum" at the House of Apollo:

Cubiculum at the house of Apollo. by labecoaves, on Flickr

I have found some of the best preserved mosaics at outside wall:

Achilles being recognised by Ulysses on Skyros by labecoaves, on Flickr
D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 500, f/11 at 1/400s.

and paintings inside the room:

Painting at the house of Apollo - 2 shots pano by labecoaves, on Flickr

2 horizontal shots pano of a mythological scene of the contest between Venus and Hesperus, Apollo as a judge in the centre. At the bottom, the painting is of faux marble panels.

and a closer view (excuse the 2000 px version):

A closer view of Venus x Hesperus under Apollo´s judgement by labecoaves, on Flickr
Single shot ~15% cropped.

As we cannot use flash to protect the paintings, the ISO 1600 capability of D7000 was very useful.

Great work Jose.

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:

Ray you are doing some amazing stuff with your new D600. Are you glad you made the transition?

mp356

Construction equipment waiting for spring. Taken with the 50 1.4 wide open. Thanks for looking.
Scott

MDoc9523

Thank you Scott. I am really enjoying this camera more than I thought I would. Having said that I am glad I took the path I did in securing the best glass I could afford BEFORE getting the camera. So far the 16, 24, 35, 85 and 300 really shine on the D600. They certainly bring out the resolution and dynamic range. I hadn't expected to be able to see the focus as much as I do , so all in all I am very happy with my choice.
Great job with the 50mm 1.4

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1516

I went to the San Diego Navy base, needed to take photos of stuff I can't show you, it was an AF lens, .

But I took the 20mm 3.5 UD and put it on the D3 on the way back and stopped at Chicano park, this park is not any park, it is behind all the shipyards under the freeway feeds into the San Diego Bay Bay Brige "Coronado".

I used the SB900 at ISO 200, 20mm at f/8, to light the underside of the freeway, the SB900 packs a wallop. The sharpness and color of the UD 20mm Nippon Kogaku lens was a surprise to me, I think I remember Ben using it in Australia.

I will have to come back with the 28mm PC and the D800.

Hope you enjoy, remember that California was Mexico and many Mexican-Americans have struggled to integrate into Anglo society. This park is an expression of their historical pride and of that struggle, it is on Cesar Chavez Road, Barrio Logan.

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D3 San Diego Barrio Logan Chicano Park by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D3 Mexica warrior San Diego Logan Chicano Park by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D3 Mexica tree of life San Diego Logan Chicano Park by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD D3 Aztlan Family San Diego Logan Chicano Park by Rafael CA, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3051

Rafael, those are beautiful. I am shocked and pleased that there isn't any other graffiti defiling the murals.

1       2       3              2674      
       2676              4368       4369       end