Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2673

1       2       3              2673      
       2675              4306       4307       end

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thanks to everyone for the comments on the D600 and 16mm 3.5. Here is the second part of my first outing with the D600. This time I used the 300mm 4.5 EDIF. One extreme to the other

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2978

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the comments on the D600 and 16mm 3.5. Here is the second part of my first outing with the D600. This time I used the 300mm 4.5 EDIF. One extreme to the other

Man, those are awesome! The flower is my favorite. Seems you have slid right into the D600, you certainly are making things look easy.

Reagan
Total Posts: 2999

Thanks Ray 35 and 85 at F4

Reagan

Reagan

Leighton, sent you a PM

Reagan

leighton w
Total Posts: 9457

Ray, love the flower shot. Are you shooting raw?

Oosty
Total Posts: 4039

MDoc9523 wrote:

Ray - these are good pics. Please show exif while you're in the honeymoon phase - it helps those on the cusp

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2476

Thanks
Great Shot Ray

Oosty
Total Posts: 4039

One from Tuesday and one from this afternoon!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9457

Peter, the first one is just plain good.

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

kings_freak wrote:
Left for work a little early, with Nikki, to see if I could find any flowers in the field by my house. Turns out some idiots decided that would be a great place to dump their crap and then set it on fire! Thankfully the fire department put it out very quickly. There was an odd collection of junk, but the dolls seemed the saddest to me.

–Tony

Disjointed by T&J Photography, on Flickr

reminds me of these by Rohde Werner

rohde_werner by aRolleiGuy, on Flickr

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2476

leighton w wrote:

+1

Reagan

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
leighton w wrote:

+1

+2

Reagan

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13175

What I'm curious about Ray, is when did Leighton drive down to Florida? I see you caught him with the 300...

Definitely looking good Ray. I think that camera will take very good care of you, even as you take very good care of it. Pretty sweet images you've been posting.

CGrindahl

My latest lens arrived this afternoon, the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Although it came without a front cap and had some adhesive at two locations on the focusing ring, the lens is in pristine condition WITH the AI conversion kit. I easily got rid of the adhesive with an alcohol swab and then took a few photos. Here's one closeup, wide open. This lens has Close Range Correction. (CRC)

I thought this might be a good time to post a photo of my pre-AI lenses, all but one of which have been converted with the Nikon kits.

From left to right... 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd, 85 f/1.8 H AI'd, 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, 50 f/1.4 S.C., 50 f/1.4 S AI'd, 50 f/2 H.C. AI'd, 28 f/3.5 H AI'd, and 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd

kwoodard

I am SO glad you posted that image Curtis... I just inherited 4 lenses and only one has been AI converted. I got a 135mm f/2.8 AI'd, 35mm f/2.8, and two 50mm f/1.4. The 35mm and one of the 50's has the scalloped focus rings, the 135mm has a scalloped aperture ring, and the other 50mm is a Pre-AI. The scalloped 50mm has some scratches or gunk on the front element, I hope it comes off. I will take pics either tonight or Saturday.

They are all in good mechanical condition, some finish issues. Does any of you know of an AI kit for the 50mm and 35mm?

CGrindahl

Therein lies the rub Kevin... the few AI conversion kits available are for the more rare lenses. My hunt for pre-AI lenses was complicated by the fact I really only want lenses that have the kit already installed, because finding one can be very frustrating. Yes, the aperture ring on a pre-AI lens can be cut down so that I will mount on a modern Nikon DSLR but that solution is not nearly as elegant as installing an AI kit. Here's a closeup of four lenses, two of which in the middle are 50 f/1.4 lenses.

The one on the right is the older S version with the AI conversion kit. The one on the left is the later S.C. that has not been converted. Note that the rabbit ears of the converted lenses are reversed with screws above the ears. The pre-AI lens has rabbit ears with screws on the bottom near the rear of the lens. When the aperture ring is cut down, either the rabbit ears have to be removed, or they will be shaved on the bottom.

Of course, you've received lenses as an inheritance. They'll work fine on film cameras and with appropriate adapters on alternative cameras. But to use them on your Nikon camera your only real solution is to have the aperture ring cut down. You can do it yourself, or you can hire someone to do it for you. There is a fellow who advertises on E-Bay and a number of folks have used John White to do the work. I believe he charges $30. The fellow on E-Bay charges a bit more but his price includes return shipping. I don't know whether that is the case for Mr. White. Here is a link to the E-Bay tech. He removes the rabbit ears and adds a second row of aperture number much like what is found on the AI converted aperture rings. It is that feature that makes his work attractive. John White either has no second row of numbers or he affixes a strip of paper with the numbers. I find that a rather inelegant solution. Good luck sorting it all out Kevin.

AI Modification/Conversion of Nikon Nikkor Classic Lenses

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2639

kings_freak wrote:
After I left my field I went down the road, to my often photographed, tree. It was 91ºF at my house today! I am so not ready for it to be summer, so I am hoping that this just lasts a couple of days. The rest are of the little flowers outside of my work. The setting sun gave them a nice, warm glow. Again, all were shot with Nikki.

–Tony

P.S. I will get you the stuff for the blog tonight, Leighton!

Hot Cows by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Stand Out by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Fantastic!

asiostygius

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Man, those are awesome! The flower is my favorite. Seems you have slid right into the D600, you certainly are making things look easy.

+1 Excellent flower shot.

asiostygius

Oosty wrote:
One from Tuesday and one from this afternoon!

Peter, beautiful sea/landscape and gorgeous flower.

kwoodard

Thanks for the info. Here is what I have found scouring the internets...

50mm f/1.4 Serial 744XXX S-Auto. Manufactured between 68-72. Has some sort of scratches on the front element.

50mm f/1.4 Serial 286XXXX. Manufactured 74-76. Seems to be in good shape, would like to get this one converted.

35mm f/2.8. Serial 267XXX. Manufactured 1971. Excellent shape, REALLY want this one converted.

135mm f/2.8. Serial 313XXX. Manufactured 71-73. Excellent shape. AI converted. Has a tiny little screw that needs to be tightened, once that is done, its on the D7000.

Nice thing is if I can figure out what is wrong with my old FG body, I can use all of these.

I also have access to a 300mm-700mm f/5.6. Not sure of the make, but on a Dx, that's 1050mm!! I hope to take that to San Francisco last week of this month.

1       2       3              2673      
       2675              4306       4307       end