Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2661

1       2       3              2661      
       2663              3789       3790       end

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1016

Wow, after a slowish period the images are taking off this weekend.

Georg, the fisheye series is top notch.
Reagan, thanks for the warm feelings from the ocean.
Peter, awesome b&w portrait of Ingrid's dad.
Mark, perfect symmetry and focus on the purple flower.
Tony, the third pic in the Rod Run series really jumps off the page. Any special processing or was that car that red?
Curtis, the guitar series is really different from what we've been seeing on this thread of late, and it's great.
Phillipe, the Opera series is outstanding.

Saw a little bit of green on the ground in the park today, spring is close :-)

Ray

James Markus
Total Posts: 4220

I think they are AF something or other. I do know they kill ants really well - one at a time - using the sun.

rankamateur wrote:
James Markus wrote:
Every time I take one of these...the line up changes. Shot with the D800 and the 50mm ais, but missing a few additions.

What are all those things in the picture that move the focus by themselves? Are they easier to use?

James Markus

Hey Monty!
That's a 12-24 afs dx - I keep thinking I am going to sell it...then end up keeping it.

montym wrote:
James Markus wrote:
Every time I take one of these...the line up changes. Shot with the D800 and the 50mm ais, but missing a few additions.

WOW!
That is one impressive line up!

What lens is top center?

Monty

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2374

Light was great this morning. Found a purple tulip tree at church.

Series E 50mm f/1.8 @ f/4

DSC_6863 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Series E 50mm f/1.8 @ f/8

DSC_6868 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Series E 100mm f/2.8 @ f/8. EXIF is wrong, forgot to change it...

DSC_6862 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

montym
Total Posts: 4692

James Markus wrote:
Hey Monty!
That's a 12-24 afs dx - I keep thinking I am going to sell it...then end up keeping it.

montym wrote:
James Markus wrote:

WOW!

What lens is top center?

Monty

Thanks for the info.

12-24 would be tough to part with. Unless there is a 14-24 in that pile of lenes somewhere

montym

The whole family!
In order of appearance, Rocky, Higgs, Nancy, Margaret and Orcus (the crazy dog)
There is another unseen Montgomery in the picture, but she will not be making an appearance until the end of next month. Margaret is pregnant. THe little girl, who's name I cannot disclose, is getting very active. I felt her moving around in my daughter's belly STRANGE!!!!

Monty

montym

I do love that fisheye!
Monty

James Markus

No, but there is a 10.5 fisheye in there that squares up to about 12mm rectilinear.

montym wrote:
James Markus wrote:
Hey Monty!

montym wrote:
James Markus wrote:

WOW!

What lens is top center?

Monty

Thanks for the info.

12-24 would be tough to part with. Unless there is a 14-24 in that pile of lenes somewhere

James Markus

Notepad has been crashing constantly at home and at work. In almost twenty years of using it (since

back in WFWG v3.11 days) it has never crashed. So, I will try and do a summary post from the last few

pages.

Jose - I have always wanted to go to Pompeii and Herculaneum - thanks for sharing.
Ben - love the architecture, and other shots.
Rafael - the 20mm f3.5 shots were super.
Chuong - Congrats on your being published!
Philippe - every photo...every photo a winner! Thank you for turning me onto the 28 ais.
Ronny - In my opinion, you have taken some of the coolest dog photos I have every seen.
Georg - good solid work...did you bend over backwards on the fisheye stitch?
Peter - the F3HP is my favorite Nikon film camera. I shot well over one million images with two bodies -

neither of which ever quit working...even when the battery died...you can still shoot at 1/60 of a second.

Well - notepad crashed twice more while ctrl+v ing text for this post. Had no idea how much I rely on this tiny program.

pburke
Total Posts: 1627

James Markus wrote:Peter - the F3HP is my favorite Nikon film camera. I shot well over one million images with two bodies -

wow - that is a lot of film! I am on my second F3HP as well - first one was stolen from me around 1990, probably the one that took the pictures above. I still have my Nikkormat EL (black), first Nikon body I ever bought, used in 1984 for about $400 in today's money. Both bodies are in rough shape, and I need new light seals. Keep putting that off, because each time I am ready to send them in, I buy another lens instead...

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5205

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Is Fisheye 16mm f3.5 AI better than the 16mm f2.8 AI ?

Bjorn Rorslett rates the f/3.5 a bit higher...

Bjorn Rorslett's Review of Fisheye Lenses

John Hinkey in Seattle introduced us all to this particular lens and gradually a number of us followed. In fact, I bought John's first copy of the lens. He subsequently bought two more which he has kept. Everyone who has used the lens has become a fan. There were only a bit less than 8,000 of the f/3.5 lenses made and of those a smaller number with the AI conversion suitable for modern DSLR cameras. The f/2.8 comes in close to thirty thousand lenses, and none of those were pre-AI. I doubt you would lose a great deal by going with the f/2.8. The f/3.5 has become a bit of a holy grail for folks on this thread.

+1 on what Curtis says.

I owned both the 16/3.5 AI and the 16/2.8 AIS. The f/3.5 is slightly better with flare/ghosting with the sun in the frame while the f/2.8 is slightly better with the sun just out of the frame.
The f/2.8 has slightly better sharpness in the center than the f/3.5 wide open (they become equal stopped down), but falls way behind the f/3.5 in sharpness significantly off-center. This was apparent on my D300 and D700, & I suspect would be even more so on my D800.

The 16/3.5 continues to be one of - if not THE - sharpest lenses I own, even on my D800.

Here's how this all started. Back in my D300 days I was looking for a compact WA and had read about this lens on Bjorn's site. I failed to win a bid for a 16/3.5 AI'd after searching for one for over a year. Six months or so later the exact same lens went up for sale on the local CL here in Seattle and I grabbed it - talk about fate! I since had moved on from the D300 to a D700 and the lens continued to amaze.
A few years later I had an opportunity to grab a 16/3.5 AI off of the FM B&S for a decent price so I did. I then sold my 16/3.5 AI'd to Curtis (it had a factory AI ring conversion, not a modified aperture ring). I then found another one locally that was in slightly better cosmetic shape (though identical in IQ) for a decent price so I grabbed that one as well.
As Curtis said I have the two now - mainly because I use mine a lot and I have this fear that I'll drop it someday and won't be able to find a replacement. I usually sell my lenses that don't get used much, but this is an exception.

It did take a while to learn how to effectively use this lens, but hopefully as I and certainly others have shown once you do learn to use it well it can produce stunning results if a FE is your thing. I particularly like what Jose and Georg have been doing lately with it. Monty is a master as well. Curtis doesn't use it as much as he should.

Time to get back to work.

- John

One important thing I forgot to mention regarding the 16/3.5 vs, the 16/2.8 AIS or D is that the f/3.5 has a 170 deg. FOV while the f/2.8 versions are slightly wider at 180 deg - thus making it even easier to put an errant finger or foot in the frame w/o knowing it

- John

SSISteve
Total Posts: 1886

Our azaleas are blooming in South Georgia so I decided to take out my Nikon 75-150mm Series E f/3.5 MF lens that I bought for around $80. I bought an adapter to put on my Olympus OM-D and did a few quick shots. I have read alot of good reviews of this lens but haven't had a chance to use it much. It's a fun lens to use and not too bad for under $100.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 901

Thanks John, Ray, Tony, Mark, Leighton, Scott and Peter for the comments.

Tony, love the barb wire bokeh shot. The panos are real nice and great colors and composition on the car photos.

Leighton, really like the framing of the snow on the barn and the "S" turn shots. Love the tree with the 50mm.

Jose, terrific mosaics and frescoes.

Chin, nice ones from the market.

Curtis, beautiful flora and I love the bokeh plays from the guitar shop.

Chuong, great cemetery shot with the 16mm.

Philippe, "B&W" is a cool shot and the photos from the opera are magnifique.

Rafael, really like the haunted trees.

Laura, the 2nd m&m shot and the "Nubian" portrait are great.

Ben, wonderful buildings and sky shot with the 24mm PC-E.

Ron, very nice "Spring is coming" shots.

Monty, nice one from MIA

Mark, beautiful shots with the 55mm.

Peter, great portrait.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 838

James Markus wrote:
Hey Monty!

montym wrote:
James Markus wrote:

WOW!

What lens is top center?

Monty

James do not feed that turncoat's AF frenzy.. Just ignore him and he will quiet down. I am suffering from Webex machinery pic withdraw.

mp356
Total Posts: 3945

georgms wrote:
Some shots from today - we got fresh snow and I couldn't resist to de-bag the 16/3.5 for some cheap thrills ;-)
All images taken around the same spot - a small area between the old city-wall and a former convent.

Georg, nice series. I especially like this first image. The b&w conversions are first rate.
Scott

mp356

Lieutenant Z wrote:
a few more from the Opéra de Paris :

WOW!
Scott

mp356

James Markus wrote:

Nice "family".

saph
Total Posts: 2047

James, what an impressive collection, very well displayed too!!

Wonder if people here use special cases to seal their lenses.

Here's two items from more than half a century ago:

Coin, 1960

Nikon 5.8cm 1.4S lens, 1961

Both taken with the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, handheld. The coin was with an added PN-11 extension tube.

Samy

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7164

Thanks Leighton.

leighton w wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
been on the gogo all day, just got home and wanted to post these before I went to sleep so Leighton could see one of them for sure

First two, I'm torn which I like, the first or the second. The 55 is how many years they've been broadcasting, but I also like the bokeh of the second.

Laura, That's quite a nice looking Nubian. We had some of these when we first started farming. They're VERY friendly.

Thanks Peter, they were talking about making a thank you card out of one of the photos, so that's why I did one with the 55 in the background, and then opened the lens wide for the second shot. They chose the second one, too, but at least they had the option

Oosty wrote:

Laura - as a pic the second isolates the subject more. To choose #1 you'd have to jnow the background.

Thanks Jose. I've got a few shots from inside one of the barns as well

asiostygius wrote:
leighton w wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
been on the gogo all day, just got home and wanted to post these before I went to sleep so Leighton could see one of them for sure

First two, I'm torn which I like, the first or the second. The 55 is how many years they've been broadcasting, but I also like the bokeh of the second.

Laura, That's quite a nice looking Nubian. We had some of these when we first started farming. They're VERY friendly.

Lovely capture and great OOF background.

Ben, what they said, yeah!

asiostygius wrote:
leighton w wrote:
bruni wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Ben, thou dost protest too much. If you believe that Todd was pulling one over on us, you're free to do your own comparison. Todd was a bit irascible but he was certainly a forthright fellow. I believe he took the photos posted with the lenses he mentioned and processed them minimally and folks couldn't distinguish the Zeiss from the Nikkors. Whatever the secret sauce is that you believe is evident with the Ziess lens wasn't apparent to quite a few folks who use the lens. That was one reason I had to smile.

I don't know if you own the Zeiss 100, but you can likely get your hands on one. Do a comparison with one of the 105s and post it in the Nikon forum and see what folks have to say. The proof is in the pudding...

Todd's was pretty tasty...

lol Curtis - don't go amateur psych on me - yes I do have the 100MP and there ain't no way it looks anything like the nikkor - I'm not saying better - just nothing like.

went out today cause I felt guilty about not taking any pics for weeks. don't know how Sydney ever got a reputation for being sunny - it never shines - never.

And Sydney's overrun with Americans at the moment - yank accents everywhere - first I cop it on here and then out in the streets...yikes!!

ben

saturday - nikon24mmPCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 24mm PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Love these two Ben, looks like clear skies to me!

+1
Ben, fantastic perspective and contrasty deep blue sky vs. clouds.

Thanks Chin, I don't have the MF 200 f/2, this is with the 135 f/2

Zichar wrote:

Laura, love the goat photo. Was this with the 200/2? I can see the hairs yet the background's all creamy, fantastic

Even in B&W it has 3D qualities for me.

Zichar wrote:
Graffiti is uncommon here in Singapore, so when I saw this on the walls of an alley in Ipoh, I grabbed at the opportunity to, crud I had black and white film loaded...

dose (Roll 4668 021) by Zichar, on Flickr

, that's a strange looking bike Curtis. Glad I've got a washer and dryer of my own, no hauling laundry any further than from the back of the house to the kitchen

CGrindahl wrote:
A bit of bokeh play yesterday with the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd at f/2. That is my car blurred on the right. My laundry is still in the wash cycle in a building on the left...

Six loads...

Sweet, I got some birds Friday as well, I'll have to see if they were AF or MF.

asiostygius wrote:
As I am an incorrigible birder, a little bit of birding at Pompeii's Forum .
An improbable lens and a unusual environment for birding (a storage room for terracota dolia found in the excavations):

A little birding at Pompeii Forum by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai, ISO 1600, f/5.6 at 1/1600s. >~50% cropped. It looks like a female House Sparrow.

On a stone block with Nikki's daughter wide open + TC16A:

A little birding at Pompeii Forum 2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd + TC16A (=136mm f/2.8), ISO 320, wide open at 1/4000s. ~50% cropped. It looks like a female House Sparrow.
I think this is not bad for a wide open 40 years old lens + the overlooked TC16A.

Thanks Scott, and I had to, there was fencing in the way.

mp356 wrote:

Laura I like this one very much. When you took this, at least you aimed higher than Leighton.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1076

saph wrote:
James, what an impressive collection, very well displayed too!!

Wonder if people here use special cases to seal their lenses.

Here's two items from more than half a century ago:
Nikon 5.8cm 1.4S lens, 1961

Both taken with the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, handheld. The coin was with an added PN-11 extension tube.

Samy

Samy, you and I seem to be the only owners of the 5.8CM in this thread, do you use yours?

1       2       3              2661      
       2663              3789       3790       end