Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2637

1       2       3              2637      
       2639              5885       5886       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

pbraymond wrote:
Mishu01 wrote:
Curtis, I'm younger than you so my hips must be better but unlike you I spent almost 28yrs under communism. The medical system was a nightmare (it isn't very performing yet... but is somehow improved). While I was a student I was the subject of a bad medical error: doctors confused a banal rheumatic illness with hip tuberculosis. The mistake was discovered 10 months later after they almost destroyed me with a treatment that was against my real problem. It took one more year to start over but I was only partially recovered. Getting older things get worse and I came to that point were I need both hips to be replaced - one of them as soon as possible. I never got any material compensation for what they did to me and actually I fully pay my surgeries in a private hospital (because my medical problem is older than my private medical insurance, so it's not covered...) But I've learned to live with this situation, enjoying the good part of this life i.e. photography, family, friends, etc. And yes, I'm optimist regarding the surgery... despite the fact that I developed a real phobia regarding doctors, hospitals, etc

Mihai, all the best to you on the surgery. You're demonstrating an attitude that more people could use, and at times that includes me. Amen to family and friends. Will say a prayer for you. Stay in touch here.

Ray

Mihai, I'm with Ray.
You're right , enjoying the good part of life is the best way to go. Be strong and confident!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

Took 5 minutes and ran outside with the PK13 and the 135mm Nikkor-Q... I am in love! Probably falling into the banal category (can't believe I am saying that now!), but handheld, spur-of-the-moment...I love the possibilities. One thing of note!!! Focus conformation dot is razor sharp, I have maybe 1mm of play when I had 8~10 before.

8x10 crop, white balance corrected, basic sharpening in ACR

DSC_7765 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

SOOC with ACR default sharpening, white balance corrected (ever so slightly)

DSC_7768 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Great shots Kevin. Your photography is improving on a regular basis. It's so nice to see you experimenting with different styles. Well done my friend!

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

Lieutenant Z wrote:
pbraymond wrote:
Mishu01 wrote:
Curtis, I'm younger than you so my hips must be better but unlike you I spent almost 28yrs under communism. The medical system was a nightmare (it isn't very performi etc

Mihai, all the best to you on the surgery. You're demonstrating an attitude that more people could use, and at times that includes me. Amen to family and friends. Will say a prayer for you. Stay in touch here.

Ray

Mihai, I'm with Ray.
You're right , enjoying the good part of life is the best way to go. Be strong and confident!

+1

Mihai - that's a great attitude to have, I wish you all the best

ben

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I step away for a day and a half and suddenly we're talking about Voigtlander glass?

The natives must be restless... When you run out of Nikkors to buy, I guess you have to expand your horizons. Or in John's case, it is looking for the perfect kit that will fit in his backpack when he's scaling the peaks of Washington state. Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...

I know I know - us kids tend to get into trouble while adult supervision is not around - no more talk about such heretical things . . . .

Still hunting a 500/4 P - KEH has one right now for a decent price, but taxes are due next week

John

If you buy the 500 f/4 P, all will be forgiven...

My penance for having sinned!

cmon Curtis - just gotta face it - John's right - that voigtlander is fantastic. The only reason I stopped using it constantly is that I bought the zeiss 100MP (and the 85P - damn Phillippe). I didn't realise they're no longer available John.....mmm.....must be like the voigltander 125 - they've become so expensive.

ben

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3287

CGrindahl wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I step away for a day and a half and suddenly we're talking about Voigtlander glass?

The natives must be restless... When you run out of Nikkors to buy, I guess you have to expand your horizons. Or in John's case, it is looking for the perfect kit that will fit in his backpack when he's scaling the peaks of Washington state. Clearly, Mihai has the problems with owning too many Nikkors... you can always send me the NOCT my friend... Lighten your load...

I know I know - us kids tend to get into trouble while adult supervision is not around - no more talk about such heretical things . . . .

Still hunting a 500/4 P - KEH has one right now for a decent price, but taxes are due next week

John

If you buy the 500 f/4 P, all will be forgiven...

+1000

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

Oosty wrote:
Mishu01 wrote:
But I've learned to live with this situation, enjoying the good part of this life i.e. photography, family, friends, etc. And yes, I'm optimist regarding the surgery... despite the fact that I developed a real phobia regarding doctors, hospitals, etc

I'll be thinking about you Mihai - hope it all works out OK. We've been missing you here.

Yes, good luck with everything, Mihai ... you will be back better and stronger than ever.

mp356
Total Posts: 5637

jhinkey wrote:
15 minutes with the 45/2.8 AI-P.

This lens is really resonating with me. Small, sharp, and easy to use. I've just been leaving it on my D800 and stuffing it in my laptop case - something I could not really do with the 50/1.8G because it sticks out too much from the camera. I also did not like taking my 50/1.2 AIS around because it also sticks out too much AND it's pretty heavy. The 45P is not fast, but it makes up for it in other ways it seems.

John

Nice series John. I like the colors in the last one.

mp356

Oosty wrote:
Some Specled Mousebirds grabbing a few rays this morning after quite a chilly night. They are frugivorous and often sit in fairly hot sun which apparently assists in food digestion.

Nice shot Peter. They are furry looking little guys.

mp356

kwoodard wrote:
Took 5 minutes and ran outside with the PK13 and the 135mm Nikkor-Q... I am in love! Probably falling into the banal category (can't believe I am saying that now!), but handheld, spur-of-the-moment...I love the possibilities. One thing of note!!! Focus conformation dot is razor sharp, I have maybe 1mm of play when I had 8~10 before.

DSC_7765 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Kevin, I like this very much!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3758

Am keeping you in my thoughts Mihai

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8402

My last PanSTARRS picture taken with the 135/2 AIS was finally used -

http://westseattleblog.com/2013/04/skies-over-west-seattle-april-2013-edition-astronomy-month-some-planets#comment-998452

I had submitted it and they did not use it right away, but it seems they hadn't forgotten about it.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

kwoodard wrote:

I have that same issue with my 80-200, foreground bokeh is nice, background is so-so, depending on aperture. I wouldn't be to worried about it, just find the apertures that aren't so great and avoid them. Granted, it is very dependent on the OOF area being rendered. I have had the opportunity to shoot with the 75-150 and I would gladly trade my 80-200 for it as the range is more in line with where I like to shoot. The extra 50mm at the long end is wasted in my hands...the tube I just got may change that though.

Speaking of the PK13, I reverse mounted my 28mm onto the front of it to see what kind of max magnification I can get with it. I am pretty impressed, 2.6:1. I get a hair over 1.1:1 with the 50mm reversed. Still need to see what I am getting with the lens mounted normally, but I am guessing about 50% of the reversed figures. There is a lot of barrel distortion, very much akin to a mild fisheye lens. Can't wait to try it out on something other than a ruler.

Some informal testing with my 135mm shows real potential. The PK13 cuts the focusing distance about in half. I can fit a 3" subject across the frame... The possibilities make me smile like a loon!

Having a tube to mount on these lenses can change everything. I see you checked out the Shooting with Tubes thread I started in the Macro World Forum. Tubes work magic with every lens, but they do especially well with a few, including the 80-200 f/4.5 AI with the rectangular baffle at the rear. Give it a try before you trade it for a Series E lens.

CGrindahl

I shot this today with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd with the PK-13 attached. This is uncropped, resized and converted using Silver Efex Pro 2. A palm frond...

CGrindahl

John, I didn't mention it at the moment, but the landscape work you did with the 45 f/2.8 was wonderful. That lens appears to perform beautifully. I've looked at the lens before, but it always struck me as so small I wouldn't no what to do with it. Clearly, it works for you. Well done!

jhinkey

Excellent as usual Curtis - you've been on quite a run lately!

CGrindahl

Thanks John. I've been having a good time, though with Nikki gone, my shooting has definitely slowed down to what might be considered a SANE rate...

Here is a color shot with the same setup, this at f/8. Tubes obliterate bokeh.

CGrindahl

Here are a few more shots taken with Nikki at Muir Woods. These are the "educational" shots...

This tree sprouted in 909 A.D. It is certainly not the largest tree in the Woods, nor certainly in California. I love the redwood trees and so do most folks who visit this park.

jhinkey

CGrindahl wrote:
John, I didn't mention it at the moment, but the landscape work you did with the 45 f/2.8 was wonderful. That lens appears to perform beautifully. I've looked at the lens before, but it always struck me as so small I wouldn't no what to do with it. Clearly, it works for you. Well done!

Thanks Curtis - It's kind of weird how a lens can get one excited!

CGrindahl

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks Curtis - It's kind of weird how a lens can get one excited!

Except, of course, the fact that this thread is about exactly that... a manual focus lens... We are eternally celebrating one lens or another. I've not used that particular lens, but you've done a wonderful job of presenting it to us. We do that over and over again. Frankly, I think we do a great service to Nikon shooters with all the experimenting we do... I really do love this thread, and clearly, I'm not alone...

1       2       3              2637      
       2639              5885       5886       end