Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2630

1       2       3              2630      
2631
       2632              4427       4428       end

jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 6223
Country: United States

For all you veterans of this thread - I just checked in with Brad (pdx_B-Rad) down in Portland to see what he's been up to since we have not heard from him after September of last year.

All is well with him - he's just focused on other things, but checks in with this thread every once in a while even though he's not posting.

- John



JRT64
Registered: Jun 14, 2006
Total Posts: 97
Country: United States

135 f/3.5 AI with PK-13 tube @ f/11 on D600:



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 3186
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
For all you veterans of this thread - I just checked in with Brad (pdx_B-Rad) down in Portland to see what he's been up to since we have not heard from him after September of last year.

All is well with him - he's just focused on other things, but checks in with this thread every once in a while even though he's not posting.

- John


If you talk to him again tell him we miss the photos of Leo

Reagan



Zichar
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3598
Country: Singapore

leighton w wrote:
I like it Chin, were you in a boat? What would it look like if you took out the stuff on the horizon?


It's a boardwalk that extends out into the sea. Though I'm guessing that at low tide we'll just be 'on land'.
Anton and I stacked both 10-stop filters and sat down in the hot sun to wait out the 15 or so minutes
My neck has a swath of red because of that silliness lol

I think removing them would make it look like one of those endless horizon minimalist photos
Which I love, as a friend of mine, Thomas, does them extremely well
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulfly7/
But I felt that the cluttered horizon is a part of Singapore somehow; the busy port of calling for the many ships that ply the international shipping lines across the straits of Singapore
Actually moved the spires from the right over to the left actually (some refinery in yonder island I think) just to balance it out



Zichar
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3598
Country: Singapore

Reagan wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
For all you veterans of this thread - I just checked in with Brad (pdx_B-Rad) down in Portland to see what he's been up to since we have not heard from him after September of last year.

All is well with him - he's just focused on other things, but checks in with this thread every once in a while even though he's not posting.

- John


If you talk to him again tell him we miss the photos of Leo

Reagan


+1
It's been ages
He must be all grown up by now



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9764
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
For all you veterans of this thread - I just checked in with Brad (pdx_B-Rad) down in Portland to see what he's been up to since we have not heard from him after September of last year.

All is well with him - he's just focused on other things, but checks in with this thread every once in a while even though he's not posting.

- John


Thanks for the update John. I miss the signs and furniture in strange places shots.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9764
Country: United States

Zichar wrote:
leighton w wrote:
I like it Chin, were you in a boat? What would it look like if you took out the stuff on the horizon?


It's a boardwalk that extends out into the sea. Though I'm guessing that at low tide we'll just be 'on land'.
Anton and I stacked both 10-stop filters and sat down in the hot sun to wait out the 15 or so minutes
My neck has a swath of red because of that silliness lol

I think removing them would make it look like one of those endless horizon minimalist photos
Which I love, as a friend of mine, Thomas, does them extremely well
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulfly7/
But I felt that the cluttered horizon is a part of Singapore somehow; the busy port of calling for the many ships that ply the international shipping lines across the straits of Singapore
Actually moved the spires from the right over to the left actually (some refinery in yonder island I think) just to balance it out


I understand completely why you don't want to take them out. Thanks for the link, some unbelievable images!



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13608
Country: United States

MarkdV wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
My first trip to Europe was aboard a Greek freighter. My former wife and I spent two months in Greece, most of it rambling through ruins. I'd poured over history books and guide books, then upon my return and after enrolling in a graduate program in architecture, I gave an hour lecture on the art and architecture of Crete. So when you encourage me to visit ruins, you're talking to the right person. I loved visiting Ephesus when Rinie and I traveled in Turkey this spring. It was as though I'd completed a chapter of the history that began in Greece and extended east and north to the shores of Turkey. i imagine to a certain extent the same is true of Italy, though the Romans certainly made their own mark on the landscape with great buildings. I've explored in Venice, Ravenna, Rome, Florence and Siena. I love Italy. It would be a delight to visit again. I spent a month in Italy, traveling in October. I prefer to travel away from the heavy tourist season when temperatures are a bit milder. The trip to Greece was through November and December before a train trip to Paris, and Copenhagen with a flight to London before returning to the cold weather of the United States in time to watch my football team lose in the Super Bowl...


Another great place is Tunisia. Loads of amazing Roman and Carthaginian ruins to visit. Stunning scenery if you go in April when the poppies are in bloom and plenty of more modern arabic style medieval towns as well. The mosaics museum in Tunis is worth the visit alone. Of course maybe wait till the political situation has calmed down a bit first.


My trip to Greece aboard a Greek freighter included a stop in Tripoli, Libya. This will be ancient history for some of you but it was 1969, shortly after the revolution that brought Kaddafi to power. When we approached the port the captain was scurrying about to make certain some products were stored away. We asked what it was all about and the second officer said they were making certain things associated with companies owned by Jewish families were out of sight. There was also concerned about whether my wife and I were Jewish. Shortly a couple of soldiers arrived on a small boat and we were ordered to the dining room. Our passports were taken and we were given yellow cards. It turned out we were the first ship that had arrived since the revolution who was permitted to disembark passengers.

We did adventure out and it was quite a scene. Photos of Kaddafi were in practically every store window. Jeeps with machine guns mounted on the back raced through the narrow streets. Soldiers stopped us repeatedly to check our cards. Quite a number of Europeans approached us for information about what was happening. They wanted to leave but were unable to do so. My wife, a tall beautiful woman with blond hair who was wearing bright yellow slacks was of much interest to men lounging around.

We decided to visit the museum to look at archeological finds and discovered we were the only people in the museum. A guard followed us, no more than fifteen feet away the whole time. We discovered that all the English signs describing exhibits had been torn from the wall. It was not at comforting experience at all.

Tunisia is doubtless a wonderful place to visit but not at this time in its history and not as an American. Too many nasty characters out there who would love nothing better than to kidnap or kill an American. Besides, the wine is better in Italy...



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13608
Country: United States

Love the kiwi shots Mark. I'm a big fan of graphical types of images and these are quite wonderful. Well done.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9764
Country: United States

Wow Curtis what a story. They may have thought you were with the CIA.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13608
Country: United States

Zichar wrote:
leighton w wrote:
I like it Chin, were you in a boat? What would it look like if you took out the stuff on the horizon?


It's a boardwalk that extends out into the sea. Though I'm guessing that at low tide we'll just be 'on land'.
Anton and I stacked both 10-stop filters and sat down in the hot sun to wait out the 15 or so minutes
My neck has a swath of red because of that silliness lol

I think removing them would make it look like one of those endless horizon minimalist photos
Which I love, as a friend of mine, Thomas, does them extremely well
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulfly7/
But I felt that the cluttered horizon is a part of Singapore somehow; the busy port of calling for the many ships that ply the international shipping lines across the straits of Singapore
Actually moved the spires from the right over to the left actually (some refinery in yonder island I think) just to balance it out


Thanks for the link Chin, I love these photos. It is work like this that makes me think owning a tripod might not be such a bad idea. My hand is steady but not THIS steady...



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9764
Country: United States

mp356 wrote:
No flowers or sun here. Just another cloudy winter day. Tried something different. This is quite abstract. What do you think? Better yet, what do you see? Taken with the 50 1.4 ais at f2.8, at minimum focus distance. Thanks for looking.
Scott







I love it Scott, looks like a frozen landscape with a winding road headed to the trees in the distance. Nicely seen.


CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13608
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Wow Curtis what a story. They may have thought you were with the CIA.


Another story from Tripoli was much sweeter. As we approached the port after our meeting with the soldiers, we noticed sailors rushing to the railing and dropping fishing lines over the side. It turns out there are abundant small fish in the harbor and the sailors were looking for a treat. It happened that on this day, the second officer, whom we'd gotten to know quite well during the nine days we'd been traveling, was celebrating his saint's day and they were going to have a party to which we were invited. So that evening we drank retsina and ate grilled fish with a room filled with Greek sailors. All of the officers spoke English. We had a rollicking good time.

There were only five passengers. Two were Greek sailors returning home. There was also a lovely woman we'd met in Brooklyn before our departure whom we never saw again during the trip. We surmised she stayed in the captain's quarters... The freighter was quite small, 4200 tons, and very slow as well. It was more tedious than anything else. Fortunately we came prepared with a great many books to read.

It was quite an introduction to my life of travels.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 4445
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
mp356 wrote:
No flowers or sun here. Just another cloudy winter day. Tried something different. This is quite abstract. What do you think? Better yet, what do you see? Taken with the 50 1.4 ais at f2.8, at minimum focus distance. Thanks for looking.
Scott







I love it Scott, looks like a frozen landscape with a winding road headed to the trees in the distance. Nicely seen.

Thank you Leighton and Nancy for the comments. Leighton, I saw the same thing as you in this.


mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 4445
Country: United States

JRT64 wrote:
135 f/3.5 AI with PK-13 tube @ f/11 on D600:




Very nice Jim.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9764
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Wow Curtis what a story. They may have thought you were with the CIA.


Another story from Tripoli was much sweeter. As we approached the port after our meeting with the soldiers, we noticed sailors rushing to the railing and dropping fishing lines over the side. It turns out there are abundant small fish in the harbor and the sailors were looking for a treat. It happened that on this day, the second officer, whom we'd gotten to know quite well during the nine days we'd been traveling, was celebrating his saint's day and they were going to have a party to which we were invited. So that evening we drank retsina and ate grilled fish with a room filled with Greek sailors. All of the officers spoke English. We had a rollicking good time.

There were only five passengers. Two were Greek sailors returning home. There was also a lovely woman we'd met in Brooklyn before our departure whom we never saw again during the trip. We surmised she stayed in the captain's quarters... The freighter was quite small, 4200 tons, and very slow as well. It was more tedious than anything else. Fortunately we came prepared with a great many books to read.

It was quite an introduction to my life of travels.


Reminds me of Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life, when he said he was going to work his way over on a cattle boat.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 4445
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Zichar wrote:

Leighton, I love the tiny shoots in the boxes neatly in rows. Would you consider trying to shoot them from above straight down; looking at it as if in a grid? Ooh does that mean you start working on Friday?



Chin, is this what you mean? And yes, back to work on Friday! Looks like I'll be cleaning up from a snowstorm.

Thanks everyone for the comments.



Leighton, I like this top down view. Just the opposite of John's view up through the trees on the same page.



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4051
Country: South Africa

asiostygius wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Some love for a lens that doesn't get much use from me, the 75-150mm Series E. A versatile range of focal lengths covered but a couple of peculiarities the stop it becoming a firm favorite like the vignetting on the FX sensor and the zoom creep I haven't quite eliminated yet.
However I think it gives a very nice colour rendition and can make some very pleasing images.







Mark, I loved the rich colours and the subject isolation.

Agreed - beautiful


Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4051
Country: South Africa

CGrindahl wrote:

Here is another with the 80-200 f/4.5 AI with a PK-13 attached, shot wide open, hand held. It works...



It certainly does - wonderful



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

JRT64 wrote:
135 f/3.5 AI with PK-13 tube @ f/11 on D600:


Beautiful shot Jim

Ray



1       2       3              2630      
2631
       2632              4427       4428       end