Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2625

1       2       3              2625      
       2627              4225       4226       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2876

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:Kevin great work with the 28mm and of course it's a GREAT lens. Look where it came from

Its a little tough to focus, but I think it is mighty nice at f/5.6 or f/8. Some of the wide opens lose a tiny bit of sharpness at the edges, but I think since I am using it on Dx, its more than fine. I love it and the 80-200 I got from you. Thanks again!

Another advantage to DX is that it uses the sweet part of the lens. Kevin you are doing great work with those lenses. I saw a 100 2.8E on the B&S for $99 I think it was Ohio Ray that had it listed. Might be next on your list?

I have been considering that one as well. One of the things that has crossed my mind is collecting all the Series E lenses. They aren't quite as good as the AI/AIS, but on a Dx, its negligible.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2603

Thank you Leighton, Americo and Ray.

Ray, as Laura has suggested, think about buying the D7100 and a D600

The last for tonight before bed, one of the wall paintings that survived at Pompeii houses:

Pompeii wall painting of a serpent. by labecoaves, on Flickr

Snakes were associated with good luck in ancient Roman world.
House wall painting detail with D7000 + 85mm f/1.8K ai'd & CPU'd hand held, ISO 100, f/5.6 at 1/160s, heavily cropped (~50%). This house was closed at the time of my visit, so I need to crop heavily.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2603

CGrindahl wrote:
For folks interested in extension tubes, you might want to consider the set that I began with distributed by Vivitar which includes three different lengths of tubes, 12mm, 20mm and 36mm. This is tricky because they make one set for pre-AI lenses and a second for AI lenses. I've bought both and can tell you for sure the pre-AI set WILL NOT work with the lenses most of us are mounting on our DSLR cameras. Here is a link to an E-Bay auction for the correct set of Vivitar tubes.

Vivitar AT-3/AI Extension Tubes
]

Funny to know that I still have (and use) this same Vivitar set, they were my first "serious" tubes, bought in the 1990's.
From Nikon I just have the PK-13 and PN-11. Need to use more all of them.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5922

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:Kevin great work with the 28mm and of course it's a GREAT lens. Look where it came from

Its a little tough to focus, but I think it is mighty nice at f/5.6 or f/8. Some of the wide opens lose a tiny bit of sharpness at the edges, but I think since I am using it on Dx, its more than fine. I love it and the 80-200 I got from you. Thanks again!

Another advantage to DX is that it uses the sweet part of the lens. Kevin you are doing great work with those lenses. I saw a 100 2.8E on the B&S for $99 I think it was Ohio Ray that had it listed. Might be next on your list?

I have been considering that one as well. One of the things that has crossed my mind is collecting all the Series E lenses. They aren't quite as good as the AI/AIS, but on a Dx, its negligible.

I have a 100/2.8 E that I'd let go for less than that . . . . PM me if you want some pictures.

John

Avi B
Total Posts: 6905

Got a AI ED-IF 400mm f/5.6 just today. Perhaps paid too much for it, but ah well.

Here's a couple of test shots close to work, on the way back from buying the lens.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3520

Thanks guys

>>

Anton says it's okay to put his mug up on this thread so...
45PCE on the bumboat back to the mainland

baws (CKC_9317) by Zichar, on Flickr

leighton w
Total Posts: 9265

CGrindahl wrote:
For folks interested in extension tubes, you might want to consider the set that I began with distributed by Vivitar which includes three different lengths of tubes, 12mm, 20mm and 36mm. This is tricky because they make one set for pre-AI lenses and a second for AI lenses. I've bought both and can tell you for sure the pre-AI set WILL NOT work with the lenses most of us are mounting on our DSLR cameras. Here is a link to an E-Bay auction for the correct set of Vivitar tubes.

Vivitar AT-3/AI Extension Tubes

I visited my local camera store this afternoon and came upon an old Vivitar MF lens and I have to say, it was built every bit as well as the Zeiss lenses belonging to a friend who gave me a brief tour of the other side. I also saw an old Soligor lens and it too was beautifully made. I don't think the optical designs were necessarily up to Zeiss standards but they were beautiful lenses. The Vivitar tubes are very functional and well built. They are not quite a substantial as Nikon tubes but they cost a great deal less. I paid $29 for the set.

And this was shot with the 105 f/2.5 P with the PK-11a and PK-12 attached.

Love this abstract Curtis. Would that have been the series E Vivatar?

leighton w

Zichar wrote:
Thanks guys

>>

Anton says it's okay to put his mug up on this thread so...
45PCE on the bumboat back to the mainland

Ahhh...So THAT'S Anton, nice shot Chin!

leighton w

Avi B wrote:
Got a AI ED-IF 400mm f/5.6 just today. Perhaps paid too much for it, but ah well.

Here's a couple of test shots close to work, on the way back from buying the lens.

Congrats Avi, there's a few on here that rave about this lens, and I can see why.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5922

Avi B wrote:

Congrats Avi - show us a picture of your newest lens sometime. What condition did it end up being in?

John

saph
Total Posts: 2306

Chin, terrific demo of the 45 PCE!

Ronny, Reagan's finally pleased with your photos

Kevin, beautiful blossoms!!!

Curtis, superb close up of the cactus!

Avi, welcome to the 400 5.6 club. The lens is sharp and equally important uniquely light enough at that FL to go walking around with it.

Jose, tremendous photos from your trip. And looking at today's NY Times magazine, the lead article is about a photographer in Brazil. The depth of field and crispness and vivid colors of the scenic shots reminded me immediately of your style. My favorite is the shot of the Ceagesp market.

http://nytimes.com/interactive/2013/03/03/magazine/03Brazil-photos.html?ref=magazine

mp356
Total Posts: 4283

asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Scott and Leighton.

Resuming the Pompeii series, the Amphitheatre in a cloudy day of February:

Pompeii's Amphitheatre - 3 horiz. shots pano by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd hand held, ISO 200, f/8 at 1/160s.
Side view of the Amphitheatre in a cloudy day of February.
There is a guy at extreme right to give us an idea of scale.

A larger version can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/labecoaves/8522276800/sizes/k/in/photostream/

Jose, another very nice pano from your trip. Like the curvature of the structure. Nice detail and richness.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4034

georgms wrote:
Peter, that's an excellent set! I like especially the "Gaura" and the "Bottlebrush". The colors are top-notch and the sharpness is really great.
Comparing these images to some of your older pictures I wonder if you have changed your post-processing (I favor your new contributions).
Anyway - beautiful work!

Thanks Georg. The only change made was to use a tripod for each photo. With the PN-11 the dof is very shallow but by sliding the soom, I found it relatively easy to focus reasonbly accurately.

Thanks, Leighton, Chin, Samy, Jose and Ray

Oosty
Total Posts: 4034

I have a serious problem with PSE 6 and/or Sandisk.

I went to a blugrass concert yesterday afternoon and unusually for me took about 200 pics. Came home and downloaded only to find that while they appear on "My Pictures" as .NEF files I can't open them in either PSE or View NX2. The disc appears to be totally corrupted but I'm sure this happened after the download.

Has anyone else had this lousy experience and if so were you able to fix it?

Any help welcome.

Thanks.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 850

Oosty wrote:
I have a serious problem with PSE 6 and/or Sandisk.

I went to a blugrass concert yesterday afternoon and unusually for me took about 200 pics. Came home and downloaded only to find that while they appear on "My Pictures" as .NEF files I can't open them in either PSE or View NX2. The disc appears to be totally corrupted but I'm sure this happened after the download.

Has anyone else had this lousy experience and if so were you able to fix it?

Any help welcome.

Thanks.

Did you erase the card when you loaded Peter? If not you could pop it back in the camera and just see if you can view them. I used to check the box to delete when finished loading and quit doing that after a similar issue happened to me.

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Also check the info on one of the .nef files and be sure it is as large as you think it may be.

Are you opening them, or importing them? Try importing.

Also, if you haven't done this, try rebooting your PC. On a Mac, I would repair the permissions. Don't know what the equivalent is on the PC.

You could also download the free demo of Lightroom, or Photoshop, and see if that works...

leighton w

Ok, I have reached the extreme of boredom. So much so, I have stooped to taking shots of my boot! I did manage to hobble out to the propagation greenhouses to take a few snaps of crops Barbara has started. it's always nice to go in there this time of year to get a green fix.

BTW Reagan, these were all with nice 28mm f2.8 AI-s you sold me, thanks again.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 712

kwoodard wrote:
Thanks Ronny.

Here is the blossoming tree my coworker loves.

First shot is with the Series E 28mm. Either I have an excellent copy or the so-called reviewers that rate this so low are out of their minds.

The reviewers are out of their minds. I hate the weight and feel of the lens, but it is one of my most used lens because I love the images that come out of it. Lovely work with it BTW.

MarkdV

leighton w wrote:
Ok, I have reached the extreme of boredom. So much so, I have stooped to taking shots of my boot! I did manage to hobble out to the propagation greenhouses to take a few snaps of crops Barbara has started. it's always nice to go in there this time of year to get a green fix.

BTW Reagan, these were all with nice 28mm f2.8 AI-s you sold me, thanks again.

Boot-iful Leighton.

As it comes to the end of the ski season here you see a lot of those around. I hope that it is healing well!

MarkdV

50mm f1.2. Taken especially for Monty

1       2       3              2625      
       2627              4225       4226       end