Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2622

1       2       3              2622      
       2624              4320       4321       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3001

Many of you know (or not remember) that I work at a junior college. Most of my architecture shots are from around campus... The Fine Arts department has a collection of original Andy Warhol images. I do not know how big the collection is, but I have seen perhaps 15 framed photographs in various offices around campus. Today a teacher walked in with three of them and asked if I could hold onto them until they were able to secure a location for them... *blink, blink* Um... Sure?! So, at my desk, right now, I have three original Warhol's. I want to take them home SOOO badly. I would get into so much trouble if I did. Two are b/w prints and the third is a b/w brushed print. Two are for sure from the early 80's, the last is undated.

And on a day I didn't bring my camera with me to work... I may come in tomorrow and take some shots of them.

saph
Total Posts: 2352

One with the 135 f2 AI wide open. The second one is a crop somewhere around the area of focus.

Crop

The 135 f2 AI is a bit heavier than the 180 2.8, but shorter, so its balance is a bit different on the D800.

kwoodard

saph wrote:
One with the 135 f2 AI wide open. The second one is a crop somewhere around the area of focus.

Love this shot...

georgms
Total Posts: 3477

Samy, nice work with the 35/2 and the 135/2! My personal favs are the B&W Can Company, the sign in front of it (very nice angle) and the spires. The "Bokeh-Bench" is wonderful too!

Curtis, wonderful macros! My personal favorite is the last image from the first set (white blossoms).
The 105/1.8 is a great, versatile lens in a fairly compact and well-handling package.
The Citroen-image is really cool - thanks for firing up the big and mean time-machine ;-)

Ronny, congrats to your 180/2.8ED! Very nice action-shots - your dog seems to like this lens too ;-)

Rafael, the "Mountain bokeh"-shot with the 50/1.2 is beautifully taken!

Jose, excellent pictures from Pompeii! And a BIG "Thank you!" for taking the time to do the D3/D600/D7000 comparison!
The upsized D600-DX-shot looks amazing compared to the D7000-image. It looks like Nikon did an excellent job on the D600's sensor.

John, wow, really fascinating and highly inspiring shots through and with NIKKI!

Ray, very nice last shots with your D7000! Best of luck for finding the camera that suits your style the most (sorry, don't know how to write it better)!

Dustin, wonderful landscape done with the 200/4!

Tony, the "Alicia"-portrait is excellent. I love the contrasty processing and the framing a lot. Good job on the lighting too - it's really tricky to match ambient and fill so well like displayed in this wonderful shot.

Nancy, great to hear/read from you! The beach-scene is beautifully taken: pure silver surrounding the walkers - wow.

And thanks for the comments on the beach-chair-image!

saph
Total Posts: 2352

Thanks Georg, Ronny and Kevin. The Can Company building used to be a factory. At one time I was actually writing Java in an office there, but that's been a few years now.

Kevin, wow, keep the prints secure there. The teacher uses them as part of an art class?

Ronny, those pics of your dog with the 180 are superb, # 1 and #3 are particularly outstanding.

Beach chair image? I am missing some pages again and need to backtrack.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13195

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Wow.. great shot curtis

What tubes should I have?
thinking of getting some to 135mm
works they also 180mm?
Thinking of getting someone to zeiss with so I get 1:1 on 100 MP
As I understand, I should have the Nikon PN-11 to 1:1 at 100 MP?

I love using tubes with all my lenses. The 180 and 135 will be very happy with tubes. You will wish to experiment to see what length tube satisfies you. Yes, the PN-11 is the tube that brings the 105 f/2.8 AI-s micro lens to 1:1 so it should get you pretty close with the Zeiss lens.

You should be aware, if you're not already, that with extension tubes you lose infinity focus. A dedicated macro lens doesn't hinder you in that regard. The advantage of tubes is that they can be used with any lens and will significantly reduce the minimum focusing distance. But the tradeoff is you will have a very short range within which you can find focus. This is one reason why AI lenses that tend to have a longer focus throw are attractive lenses when shooting with tubes. Of course, the two lenses your considering, the 135 f/2 and 180 f/2.8 have decent throws at 270 degrees and 190 degrees respectively. I don't know the focusing throw of the Zeiss 100 but the time I used one that belongs to a friend it seemed quite a bit shorter.

Of course, this limitation can be overcome simply by moving closer and farther away from the subject you're shooting. This is what I refer to when I say I rock back and forth as I set up a shot. I virtually never use the focusing ring because even turning the ring can cause me to lose focus.

Here is another shot from today, this taken with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd with the PK-11a and PK-12. I'm less interested in 1:1 than in having enough working room to get a decent shot.

If you're planning to use tubes with Zeiss lenses, you may wish to consider Kenko tubes that will allow the camera and lens to communicate. Nikon tubes will not do so. They were created for manual focus lenses that did not have electrical contacts.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13195

Thanks Georg. The time machine is actually quite scary at this time in my life, since it reminds me of how long ago these events happened and by that, how old I am. I've no idea how it happened. I'd like to believe I'm a bit wiser than I was when I was first running around Europe but the internal experience of being me is really no different. That photo was taken 41 years ago...

kwoodard

The Warhol images are part of a 150 piece donation to the college from his foundation. The campus has a gallery that periodically showcases the collection. Mostly the images hang in faculty offices, but some are used in the classroom. It is interesting though, how different his photographs are compared to his pop art. I prefer the photos. They make him more real to me. I can see the kind of person he was by the images he took. They are inspiring.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7752

Get both.

leighton w wrote:
mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Oosty wrote:
Curtis, beautiful blossoms

Ray - have you come to a decision yet? You're going to miss the D7000 until there's a replacement.

The person interested in my D7000 is supposed to pick it up next Tuesday. So if he buys it I will be down to my film cameras until I buy the D600 or wait til the D7100 comes out. I am very heavily leaning towards the D7100 but I have that nagging draw to full frame

Do it do it do it do it do it!

A voice from your DX shoulder: Remember the 1/8000 shutter speed and extra reach of lenses on DX..................

Forget about that, think of the huge viewfinder.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4043

CGrindahl wrote:
One more macro shot with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s with two tubes. I love doing this kind of work.

The focal plane is so narrow when shooting with tubes that finding focus by turning the focusing ring is impossible. In fact, using the green light is impractical so I relied on the viewfinder to tell me when the image was in focus. I gently rock back and forth until I get what I want and then trip the shutter. It works...

More great stuff Curtis.

Do you rock back and forth intentionally?

Oosty

Samy - up to now Baltimore has been a rather large dot on a map that I passed close to 2 years ago on my way from Laurel to the Chesapeake Bay via route 301. You've given it a personality. Very nice series.

Oosty

Hard to believe it's March already!

Following Curtis' lead I went out with the PN-11 and the 80-200 f4 ai-s and took these in the garden.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 751

rafaelcasd wrote:
MarkdV wrote:

Thanks Rafael,

Now another question. I have a free day Sunday, what lens should I go walking with?

No need to ask Mark, if you walk a town full of interesting people the 55 1.2, else the 28 2.8 for more landscapy images, or maybe the 105 2.5 to select an interesting section, perhaps any of the 85s to emphasize the focal plane. aternatively a 35 2.0 for normal street perspective...... Sure this was helpful.

It was. I've unpacked the 300mm. Of course now I have to buy a 35 f2 to follow your suggestion.

Cheers,
Mark.

georgms

Peter, that's an excellent set! I like especially the "Gaura" and the "Bottlebrush". The colors are top-notch and the sharpness is really great.
Comparing these images to some of your older pictures I wonder if you have changed your post-processing (I favor your new contributions).
Anyway - beautiful work!

georgms

Samy, very nice DoF-play on the old industrial building!

Curtis, another beautiful shot with a no-Micro-105! Spring hasn't arrived here, will try some close-ups when some fresh green is showing up.

Mark, sorry, I've lost tracks - congrats to a new 300/4.5 IF-ED?!

georgms

Two quick shots from this sunny morning (the sun is gone now):

D700, 24/2Ai at f/5.6 - university hospital (in this case the pathology)

and as juxtaposition the building at the other side of the small pond:

D700 and 24/2 Ai at f/5.6 too

Looking at these and many other shots I have to conclude that too many of my pictures are too closely framed - lot's of room (pun intended) for improvement ;-)

pburke
Total Posts: 2131

georgms wrote:
Looking at these and many other shots I have to conclude that too many of my pictures are too closely framed - lot's of room (pun intended) for improvement ;-)

the 20mm can help you improve

David Antilley
Total Posts: 313

rafaelcasd wrote:
This may be the last posting of the trip before I return this weekend.

It was time to revisit the coffee farm, coffee raised me and paid for my schooling at CAL. Our farm was nearby, but one of the best looking farms I know belongs to my brother's in-laws. Here is the volcano it is in, the farm starts halfway up and ends at the top, over 5000 feet people do not plant coffee and it is virgin forest. 2/3 up the way on the right side is the little house we went to. At the bottom is a modern coffee mill.

A crop of the mill, this was with the 50mm 1.2, the lens I used the most this day. That is cofee beans sun drying on the concrete pad.

A Curtis style rendition at the house, this 50 1.2 has good mountain bokeh at 1.2.

Now the 16mm 3.5

and the last

Lots of great coffee comes from the Santa Ana Volcano area. What is the name of the "Finca."

David

designdog
Total Posts: 198

The work with tubes is quite impressive! Given my current set of lenses, which tube(s) would you recommend?

50 1.2ais, 85 2 ai, 105 2.5 ais, 135 2.8 ais, 180 2.8 ais (coming soon)

Thanks,

David

David Antilley
Total Posts: 313

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks
Great shots everyone !

Had I lived in the United States, I bought it right away Tony ..
very good price .. but now if I buy from you here from the United States, it is Vat and duty
and when the price rises, unfortunately

Looks really good Curtis

Here are a few pictures from today's round with Nitro .. hoping for more pictures this weekend also

Playtime

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

I have been waiting to see these with the 180mm, fantastic work with Nitro.

David

1       2       3              2622      
       2624              4320       4321       end