Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2614

1       2       3              2614      
       2616              3818       3819       end

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1016

Here you go Leighton, you know you want it :-)

AI'd modified 85mm f1.8 Nikkor H

leighton w
Total Posts: 8616

pbraymond wrote:

I think this would look better in your bag! There's an HC version available locally I have my eye on.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1094

kings_freak wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:

Rafael, I like the El Salvador-series a lot. The dynamic range of the last shot is amazing - did you use Active-D-Lighting?

Georg

I use high Active D Lighting all the time, I try to keep a natural look but post process contrast, push and pull highlights and shadows to get the look I want. I would call this last shot a single frame HDR using the D800 amazing DR.

If you shoot RAW, I don't think Lightroom can recognize the D-Lighting info. I believe you have to use NX2. Not a big deal, but it was something that I noticed. Since I use LR, I usually have DL turned off.

–Tony

Yes Tony, NX2 and Raw, never found anything I wanted to do to a photo that NX2 with the NIK plug in didn't do. Also never found a reason to shoot anything but RAW. I do believe D-Lighting does change the exposure some, not sure though.

pbraymond

leighton w wrote:
pbraymond wrote:

I think this would look better in your bag! There's an HC version available locally I have my eye on.

It's tempting, Leighton (especially the opportunity to own a "scalloped" lens and possibly operate a fine piece of mechanical work from that era), but 85mm is a primary focal length for me in portraiture (candid and semi-formal) and I find I have more consistent results focus wise with an AF lens with today's focus screen and viewfinders. Besides, when I want to shoot MF portraits, I have the 75-150 and the 105 which I find to be great performers. I have decided to thin the MF portrait ranks however, and (selfish plug next) I've put my Series E 100 (another great performer, I'm still of two minds on selling it) on the B&S board.

pbraymond

georgms wrote:

posted before, 50/1.2 wide open on a D700 at ISO100 (L1.0) and overexposed about 1 stop
(forgot the ND-filter at home)

Georg, this is the first time I've seen this, and I admire the concept and execution.

pbraymond

Rafael, I'm enjoying the El Salvador series very much. You wouldn't happen to have an external gallery with more pics from this trip I can look through, do you?

Joining in the conversation on the ND filters, it's one of the two filters I still use in the digital age; the ND and polarizer (and very rarely a UV/Clear for protection). Besides, the high speed flash sync on the Nikons above 1/250th has very much reduced flash power, I think a greater loss than the light loss from a flash through an ND filter. I think this means that everyone south of Ohio NEEDS a D4 or D800

leighton w

pbraymond wrote:
georgms wrote:

posted before, 50/1.2 wide open on a D700 at ISO100 (L1.0) and overexposed about 1 stop
(forgot the ND-filter at home)

Georg, this is the first time I've seen this, and I admire the concept and execution.

+1 !!!

rankamateur
Total Posts: 838

Nothing pretty about this picture. Just a reminder of the world we live in. Shot across the Del river to the NJ side. It is about a half mile. 135 3.5

clouseau
Total Posts: 42

Okay i have a stupid Question ! I have a dropbox account and sometimes i would like to download a pic to you guys for some cc . how do i do that ?

Mvh Clouseau

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Really great photo, Georg. Makes me want to put the 50 1.2 on my D700 and see if I can come close.

Oops. the sun went away...

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4609

rafaelcasd wrote:
Welcome Back Jose, thank you for the Bird compliments but it is not very hard to get great shots of tied-down raptors, we were just filling in for your absence. The TC 300 is good with the 400 3.5 but not necessarily with other lenses. You will love the D600 for dynamic range and those pixels.

Jeff, thanks for the compliment, fantastic clouds and cliffs on broken hill

Thanks to all for your kind comments on my El Salvador photos, it is soul healing to spend time with family and friends, to find your place in their heart available as always. It is good to revisit the old places and see them with new eyes.

Today we took a trip to an old town, El Salvador had a great boom in the second half of the 19th century, most old towns date their expansion to this period as the country was being planted with coffee, my great grandfather came from Barcelona about 1860s, baked bread, bought land and had 12 kids. The rest is history.

This town is Suchitoto, it still looks like it did at the turn of the 19th century. This is in the interior and is hot at this time of the year. Beer Sweat hot.

D800 and 25-50mm, this gate was for oxcarts and was widened at the bottom to allow a car in.

And the interior

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Suchitoto El Salvador interior by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Great shot Rafael

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4609

kings_freak wrote:
Finally starting to feel a little better. I have been down with whatever cold/flu/plague crap that has been going around my shop. Saturday I felt ok for a little while and I met a new friend that came over for a shoot.

I thought I would throw my 2 cents into the discussion about ND filters and fast glass. For me, they are a necessity. I used a ND4 (2-Stop) for this shot, but would like to have had a ND8 to kill some more DOF. I have to use them, since I also use strobes out in the field and I am limited to 1/250th on my sync speed. I know I can use Nikon speedlights and use High-Speed sync, but I like having the power of a strobe head, especially when the sun is really bright. This was actually shot at around 1pm, so the conditions were less than ideal.

–Tony

Alicia by T&J Photography, on Flickr

What a mysterious shot well done Tony!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5229

Oh geez - 500/4 AI-P available on the local CL for $2K and appears to be in excellent shape! How am I going to pull this one off . . . .

jhinkey

Also, today is Nikki's last day in Seattle and I'm going to try to take a few last shots before she gets boxed up.

John

leighton w

jhinkey wrote:
Oh geez - 500/4 AI-P available on the local CL for $2K and appears to be in excellent shape! How am I going to pull this one off . . . .

You're gonna break out the plastic!

clouseau
Total Posts: 42

Okay so much for friendliness

waysaz
Total Posts: 104

CGrindahl wrote:
Nice to see you back on the thread Nancy and I love this image. Black and white was a good choice. I know I'm a bit of a snob in selling my copy of that excellent lens. I'm happy others are putting it to good use. Well done.

Hey Curtis - glad to be back. Nice blossoms. The pic is not black and white, actually; just shot into the bright water and overexposed , then pulled back in Lightroom. Only color in it is some CA in the highlights.

leighton w

clouseau wrote:

Easy does it. As far as I know, there's not very many on here that use dropbox to post photos. It's not that we're ignoring you, it's just that the right person hasn't seen your question. Please have a little bit of patience.

jhinkey

leighton w wrote:
jhinkey wrote:

You're gonna break out the plastic!

It will be a cash deal . . . which means I need to sell some other stuff. Looks like the 80-200/2.8 AFS is going up for sale plus a whole lot of other stuff! Hopefully it won't get sold before the weekend.

- John

raboof
Total Posts: 1335

clouseau wrote:

I am assuming that you know how to copy public link from your Dropbox. Then you just paste it on here. Remove the 's' from https to be http only. Then submit. That's it.

1       2       3              2614      
       2616              3818       3819       end