Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2613

1       2       3              2613      
       2615              4062       4063       end

mp356
Total Posts: 4195

leighton w wrote:
David Antilley wrote:
Conga-rats to Jeff on another assignment win, you are killing them!!

David

saph wrote:
Just checked out the assignment thread. Agreed, great job Jeff!!

+1 !

+2 Jeff. Nice work!

georgms
Total Posts: 3298

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
One of you made mention of this: The 1/4000 top speed on the D600 is a real issue with me It would almost eliminate my daytime shooting wide open.

Why would this eliminate daytime shooting?

Because I have three F1.4 lenses. Shooting wide open would not be possible at 1/4000 of a sec because of too much light for that speed. The only answer would be to stop down or using a ND filter. The example I posted was at 1/8000 at F2 To use this lens under those circumstances with a D600 it would require stopping down to F5.6 thus destroying the DOF

Ray, don't blame the D600 and it's 1/4000 sec top speed, blame the "sunshine state" you live in ;-) For most countries 1/4000 sec is sufficient even for f/1.2 lenses...
More seriously, I wonder if the topspeed-limit of the D600 was a decision from Nikons marketing-people or the technicians. I suspect the former to be blamable.
Using ND-filters works pretty well with fast rangefinder-lenses, but I don't like them on a SLR (digital or not).
I would really like to know if the L1.0-setting (ISO50) will generate a visible image-degradation compared to the regular base ISO of ISO100. If not - well, than it will compensate the limited top-speed.
Jose now owns both the D7000 and the D600 - maybe he can compare the D7000's ISO100 with the D600's ISO50.
I've shot at L1.0 with my D700 and D3s and couldn't detect a distinct image-degradation. This shot was taken a while ago with the 50/1.2 Ais wide open at L1.0 (ISO100) on the D700. It was also overexposed quite a bit, so maybe shot at an equivalent of ISO 50 or so, which would be 2 full stops overexposure over the "native" base ISO of 200:

posted before, 50/1.2 wide open on a D700 at ISO100 (L1.0) and overexposed about 1 stop
(forgot the ND-filter at home)

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1277

Welcome Back Jose, thank you for the Bird compliments but it is not very hard to get great shots of tied-down raptors, we were just filling in for your absence. The TC 300 is good with the 400 3.5 but not necessarily with other lenses. You will love the D600 for dynamic range and those pixels.

Jeff, thanks for the compliment, fantastic clouds and cliffs on broken hill

Thanks to all for your kind comments on my El Salvador photos, it is soul healing to spend time with family and friends, to find your place in their heart available as always. It is good to revisit the old places and see them with new eyes.

Today we took a trip to an old town, El Salvador had a great boom in the second half of the 19th century, most old towns date their expansion to this period as the country was being planted with coffee, my great grandfather came from Barcelona about 1860s, baked bread, bought land and had 12 kids. The rest is history.

This town is Suchitoto, it still looks like it did at the turn of the 19th century. This is in the interior and is hot at this time of the year. Beer Sweat hot.

D800 and 25-50mm, this gate was for oxcarts and was widened at the bottom to allow a car in.

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Suchitoto El Salvador 1867 Gate by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A crop of this at 100%

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Suchitoto El Salvador 1867 Gate crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Schoolchildren going home, blondish hair is common in this part of the country.

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Suchitoto El Salvador School children by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A great old restored house

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Suchitoto El Salvador House by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A great old unrestored but maintained house

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Suchitoto El Salvador by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the interior

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Suchitoto El Salvador interior by Rafael CA, on Flickr

georgms

Jose, welcome back and congrats to your new camera! The city-scapes are fabulous, great to see how well the oldie-Nikkor's work on todays demanding DSLR's.
How does the D600 "feel" compared to the old workhorse D3?
Can't wait to see your images from good ol' Europe.

georgms

Jeff, congrats to your assignment-win! The Broken Hill is wonderfully captured - I especially like the framing.

Chin, brilliant shot of the drawer! Simple subjects are hard to shoot, hats off to your skills!

Ron, thanks for sharing the pricelist from 1957! A Nikon S2 with the fast 50/1.1 would have been a good investment and a fantastic tool for the serious photographer too.

Rafael, I like the El Salvador-series a lot. The dynamic range of the last shot is amazing - did you use Active-D-Lighting?

georgms

Samy, Peter, Jose, Jeff, Scott, Ray, Mark, Chin, Ron and Leighton - thanks for your comments on the copter-shot!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1277

georgms wrote:

Rafael, I like the El Salvador-series a lot. The dynamic range of the last shot is amazing - did you use Active-D-Lighting?

Georg

I use high Active D Lighting all the time, I try to keep a natural look but post process contrast, push and pull highlights and shadows to get the look I want. I would call this last shot a single frame HDR using the D800 amazing DR.

kings_freak
Total Posts: 930

rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:

Georg

I use high Active D Lighting all the time, I try to keep a natural look but post process contrast, push and pull highlights and shadows to get the look I want. I would call this last shot a single frame HDR using the D800 amazing DR.

If you shoot RAW, I don't think Lightroom can recognize the D-Lighting info. I believe you have to use NX2. Not a big deal, but it was something that I noticed. Since I use LR, I usually have DL turned off.

傍ony

kings_freak

Finally starting to feel a little better. I have been down with whatever cold/flu/plague crap that has been going around my shop. Saturday I felt ok for a little while and I met a new friend that came over for a shoot.

I thought I would throw my 2 cents into the discussion about ND filters and fast glass. For me, they are a necessity. I used a ND4 (2-Stop) for this shot, but would like to have had a ND8 to kill some more DOF. I have to use them, since I also use strobes out in the field and I am limited to 1/250th on my sync speed. I know I can use Nikon speedlights and use High-Speed sync, but I like having the power of a strobe head, especially when the sun is really bright. This was actually shot at around 1pm, so the conditions were less than ideal.

傍ony

Alicia by T&J Photography, on Flickr

kings_freak

rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:
Rafael - what a beautiful set! My favs are the "Driveway" and the last shot. That 25-50 is tempting ;-)

Georg, the 25-50mm is very useful for daytime and flash work, it is wickedly sharp from 5.6 up and so well built, a bit heavy and large. I allows one to frame the shot while beign as good as any prime on its aperture range.

most of the pics I posted were of the 16mm, here is a couple more of the 25-50mm, this house belongs to a family friend, my dad's was sold long ago. I had an "Out of Africa" longing for the place and this picture reminds me of it.

nikon nikkor 25-50mm d800 coatepeque by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Wow, that is a beautiful tree! Great capture.

傍ony

kings_freak

georgms wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
One of you made mention of this: The 1/4000 top speed on the D600 is a real issue with me It would almost eliminate my daytime shooting wide open.

Because I have three F1.4 lenses. Shooting wide open would not be possible at 1/4000 of a sec because of too much light for that speed. The only answer would be to stop down or using a ND filter. The example I posted was at 1/8000 at F2 To use this lens under those circumstances with a D600 it would require stopping down to F5.6 thus destroying the DOF

Ray, don't blame the D600 and it's 1/4000 sec top speed, blame the "sunshine state" you live in ;-) For most countries 1/4000 sec is sufficient even for f/1.2 lenses...
More seriously, I wonder if the topspeed-limit of the D600 was a decision from Nikons marketing-people or the technicians. I suspect the former to be blamable.
Using ND-filters works pretty well with fast rangefinder-lenses, but I don't like them on a SLR (digital or not).
I would really like to know if the L1.0-setting (ISO50) will generate a visible image-degradation compared to the regular base ISO of ISO100. If not - well, than it will compensate the limited top-speed.
Jose now owns both the D7000 and the D600 - maybe he can compare the D7000's ISO100 with the D600's ISO50.
I've shot at L1.0 with my D700 and D3s and couldn't detect a distinct image-degradation. This shot was taken a while ago with the 50/1.2 Ais wide open at L1.0 (ISO100) on the D700. It was also overexposed quite a bit, so maybe shot at an equivalent of ISO 50 or so, which would be 2 full stops overexposure over the "native" base ISO of 200:

On the D700, all I really noticed was a slight loss of contrast when I shot below the native ISO. With the D800, I really haven't noticed a difference when I shoot at ISO 50.

傍ony

Oosty
Total Posts: 4016

rafaelcasd wrote:

Thanks to all for your kind comments on my El Salvador photos, it is soul healing to spend time with family and friends, to find your place in their heart available as always. It is good to revisit the old places and see them with new eyes.

Today we took a trip to an old town, El Salvador had a great boom in the second half of the 19th century, most old towns date their expansion to this period as the country was being planted with coffee, my great grandfather came from Barcelona about 1860s, baked bread, bought land and had 12 kids. The rest is history.

This town is Suchitoto, it still looks like it did at the turn of the 19th century. This is in the interior and is hot at this time of the year. Beer Sweat hot.

D800 and 25-50mm, this gate was for oxcarts and was widened at the bottom to allow a car in.

Super series Rafael. I really love the last shot.

waysaz
Total Posts: 104

Hi, haven't been around much, but I have tried to follow the thread. Amazing work by all, as always. Still trying not to buy a D600. D7000s are cheap, D7000s are cheap, D7000s are cheap...

Here's one from a low tide last month, 75-150, f/8.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12776

Nice to see you back on the thread Nancy and I love this image. Black and white was a good choice. I know I'm a bit of a snob in selling my copy of that excellent lens. I'm happy others are putting it to good use. Well done.

CGrindahl

I've been loving your work with the 25-50 f/4 Rafael. Wonderful images! I may not use that lens often but I definitely am pleased to have it in my kit for those occasions when I want a wide zoom.

CGrindahl

I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, largely because it was sitting on a cabinet in the living room when I noticed the blossoms on my neighbor's tree. This is what I caught...

And down the street I found flowers in another neighbor's yard...

Wide open, hand held... is there another way?

kings_freak

CGrindahl wrote:
I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, largely because it was sitting on a cabinet in the living room when I noticed the blossoms on my neighbor's tree. This is what I caught...

And down the street I found flowers in another neighbor's yard...

Wide open, hand held... is there another way?

I can't wait for stuff to start blooming in my neck of the woods. Very nice shots Curtis and wide open, hand held is the only way!

傍ony

leighton w
Total Posts: 9011

kwoodard wrote:

MDoc9523 wrote:

You actually have the option with the D600 to shoot at iso 50 at 1/4000, which is the SAME as iso 100 at 1/8000. I have not compared images from my D7000 shooting at iso 100 @ 1/8000 and the D600 shooting with it at iso 50 @ 1/4000. But the few images I have shot at iso 50 with the D600 show NO loss of IQ, IMHO... YMMV.

However Ray, I do see what you mean about shooting in sunny Florida. Perhaps you should be looking elsewhere as in the D800!

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1080

There's an AI'd 85 Nikkor H for sale in the C-list for the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but thought I'd share in case there was any interest.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9011

pbraymond wrote:
There's an AI'd 85 Nikkor H for sale in the C-list for the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but thought I'd share in case there was any interest.

You are most certainly allowed to post a link! Please do, always nice to know what's out there.

1       2       3              2613      
       2615              4062       4063       end