Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2613

1       2       3              2613      
       2615              5891       5892       end

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1472

Thanks Leighton, Georg and Ronny.

Leighton, you're right, the halo in the first shot was the result of a fair bit of PP to bring the city light down to the level of the palms. To my eye, it looks a little too "unreal" but my son liked it so I went with it.

Georg, I want to echo your comment about the "Stellarium" software. I've been using it off and on for awhile. It's a great resource and the price is right.

agentbird
Total Posts: 699

From an outing in Singapore with the magnificent Zichar!

45mm PC-E.

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

georgms wrote:
Thank you, Peter! Maybe I'll try the AF-S 28/1.8 (excellent optics in plasticky case). The tracker-thingie is a bit "rich" for occasional use.

yeah, with enough clean high iso, you can probably do quite well using a sharp f2.8 (which is why I just bought a Rokinon 14mm) to record enough stars while keeping the exposure down. A star tracker is for enhtusiasts, as it mostly shines when you use a long lens aimed at some constellation, rather than combining earth and sky, as when you track the stars, our planet gets blurry, although two exposures and some photoshop can fix that easily.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1472

Scott, I'm feeling bad that my wish for a bit more winter came true (our skies get really murky in the Spring) but you sure are making the best of it. Your last snow scene is beautiful!

Georg, very nice wet rock and I love the convent ceiling.

Peter and Laura, gorgeous planes!

Curtis, you've posted a number of great shots recently, but the walking path and Golden Gate is a special composition. I love how you blended the path into bridge.

Chuong, I really like your architectural shots.

Ronny, great "jump" shot. You do a great job capturing motion with your 180mm.

Roberto, beautiful colors and composition on the patio

Reagan, that second flower shot is stunningly nice.

Ray, beautiful bokeh in your flowers.

Ray in Ohio, very nice hydrant "pop."

Agentbird, gorgeous shot with the PC-E!

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Jeff, I had one year astronomy as a regular school-subject and don't remember anything except my short-fused teacher.
Stellarium (installed this yesterday evening just prior to shooting) helped a lot to pre-visualize possible shooting-angles and to identify some of my tiny subjects afterwards.

Peter, yes, some buildings of our university are kinda fancy. We also have some pretty interesting buildings from the early years of the GDR.

Agentbird, wow, magnificent is the proper term for your wonderful night-shot too!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

agentbird wrote:
From an outing in Singapore with the magnificent Zichar!

45mm PC-E.

Beautiful!

agentbird
Total Posts: 699

One from Orchard Road in Singapore:

45mm PC-E.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Mother and daughter as seen with the 180mm f2.8.

kwoodard

leighton w wrote:
Mother and daughter as seen with the 180mm f2.8.

Very nice, made me smile.

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

agentbird wrote:
One from Orchard Road in Singapore:

[frameg

45mm PC-E.
wow , this and the night shot are fantastic

ben

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

So the mice have been busy while the cat is away... Four pages added during my "holiday" in San Francisco, which turned into a bit more of an ordeal than a joy. A long day ended with a two mile hike along the waterfront because my bright idea of using cable cars to bounce around the city threw me in with a mass of tourists that made any trip that emanated at the terminus for a line a LONG wait. The walk happened because I was told from my place at the end of a long line meant I'd likely not leave for an hour. I decided I'd rather walk that wait, but by the time I got back on the ferry I was exhausted.

Nikki is in her box together with everything else that came my way. I wrote a brief letter to the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service and enclosed that with the Great Lens Adventure guidelines, itinerary and contact list. I'll fill out the customs declaration saying "Return of Borrowed Lens." Hopefully Ben won't encounter any problems when the lens arrives. And, by the way, I did include a lens hood that Laura sent me earlier this week. All is good!

I have so many photos to process I certainly will be busy for another week. But here are a few from the beginning of my journey to San Francisco. These were shot with Nikki from the ferry.

The San Francisco skyline.

Coit Tower on the top of Telegraph Hill.

The TransAmerica tower coming nearer.

A first view of the Oakland-Bay bridge that was under construction during the time the Golden Gate bridge was built. It has two spans rather than one. In the distance you can see the Port of Oakland where this container ship is headed. It is the major port in the Bay area.

I found it easiest because of lighting conditions to convert these photos to black and white. I did that work in Lightroom. Removing luminance in the blue channel was key to getting detail both in sky and land. I'll share a couple more from the land in my next post.

CGrindahl

And here are two more of the Oakland Bay bridge from the promenade using the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. I imagine the AI and AI-s version of this lens would perform equally well, but this all metal version is beautiful and a joy to use.

The first shot was converted with Silver Efex Pro 2, the second with my normal processing. These are WIDE>

And one more with Nikki... the beginning of my cable car adventure... Looking up California Street toward the top of Nob Hill. My back is to the Ferry Terminal.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

WOW Curtis, I'm not sure where to start, I love them all. But so far, I especially like this one, something about that lamp post framing it does it for me. Can't wait to see more.

kwoodard

CGrindahl wrote:
And here are two more of the Oakland Bay bridge from the promenade using the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. I imagine the AI and AI-s version of this lens would perform equally well, but this all metal version is beautiful and a joy to use.

The first shot was converted with Silver Efex Pro 2, the second with my normal processing. These are WIDE>

And one more with Nikki... the beginning of my cable car adventure... Looking up California Street toward the top of Nob Hill. My back is to the Ferry Terminal.

These are great. The color picture of the bay bridge looks like a painting. Very nicely done!

georgms

Leighton, great picture of the cats! B&W works very well here (for furred-animals in general, I assume).

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

georgms wrote:
Leighton, Roberto, Jeff, Scott, Reagan, Ray & Ray, John B - thanks for your kind words. I'll try this kind of stuff in a warmer night again.

Here's another image taken with the neat 16/3.5, because my neck was still not broken after pointing the lens up yesterday, I've tried again:

foyer of the local university (est. 1419) - the restoration is still in progress, D3s, 16/3.5 at f/8

You gotta love that 16mm 3.5. So sharp and detailed!

georgms

CGrindahl wrote:

Curtis, this one is absolute fantastic! Your pictures from San Francisco and the Oakland Bay bridge reminded me of a story I just read about Norton I, "Emperor of these United States" and "Protector of Mexico" ;-)

georgms

MDoc9523 wrote:
georgms wrote:
Leighton, Roberto, Jeff, Scott, Reagan, Ray & Ray, John B - thanks for your kind words. I'll try this kind of stuff in a warmer night again.

Here's another image taken with the neat 16/3.5, because my neck was still not broken after pointing the lens up yesterday, I've tried again:
foyer of the local university (est. 1419) - the restoration is still in progress, D3s, 16/3.5 at f/8

You gotta love that 16mm 3.5. So sharp and detailed!

Thanks, Ray - and yes, I do ;-)

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Anton your photos are superb!
Leighton looks like I got ya using that 180mm Great shot
Curtis your B&W shots are out of this world! So nicely processed. The cable car is very nice as well!

CGrindahl

Thanks folks. I thought of the cable car shot as reminiscent of Anton's work with the 45 PC-E, which is once again appearing on this thread. I love what he does with that lens. The isolated sharpness and dreamy bokeh is delicious.

I'm too tired to spend time on the thread this afternoon but I will return. Have fun everyone...

1       2       3              2613      
       2615              5891       5892       end