Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2612

1       2       3              2612      
       2614              4309       4310       end

saph
Total Posts: 2350

50 1.1? And I guess those rangefinder lenses can not be used on SLRs?

leighton w wrote:
rankamateur wrote:
Man these prices seem high for 1957. No wonder people bought a ton of Vivatar lenses for their Nikon.

Was Vivatar even around then?

saph

Chin, that's some OOF rendition! I guess the tilt adds to it?

Zichar wrote:
Something totally uninteresting I suppose
Soft-close hinges... the good stuff I'm told

45PCE full tilt

zl_uppser_04 by Zichar, on Flickr

saph

Seconding Mark here. Jose, welcome back, and great start with your D600. And thanks for reposting these pics. I had missed some of the images before - the raptor shots by Ray, John's vista and Rafael's secretary bird. All of them are superb.

MarkdV wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
Well, after arriving from my trip I took 4 days to read over 45 pages on this thread!

So many great conversations and images, I just will comment a tiny fraction in the next posts.

Just yesterday my new D600 arrived (bought by impulse that great priced promotional kit with a "garbage" AF lens, which I will put to sell soon) and now my trusty D3 is being sold.

Before Italy (need to process a huge amount of images) I am posting some of the first shots with the D600 + my beloved Nikki's daughter, another storm coming yesterday late afternoon:

3 horizontal shots pano, 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd and CPU'd, f/5.6 at 1/80s, ISO 1600, window sill supported.
Jpges straight from the camera + slight PP.

5 vertical shots pano, 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd and CPU'd, f/5.6 at 1/60s, ISO 1600, window sill supported.
Jpges straight from the camera + slight PP.

I know it is too early, but generally I am impressed by this 24mp FX sensor; and I feel Nikki's daughter shines on it

Welcome back, and what a stunning return, that D600 and 85mm makes one heck of a combu in your hands. Congrats on the new camera.

saph

Just checked out the assignment thread. Agreed, great job Jeff!!

David Antilley wrote:
Conga-rats to Jeff on another assignment win, you are killing them!!

David

leighton w
Total Posts: 9458

David Antilley wrote:
Conga-rats to Jeff on another assignment win, you are killing them!!

David

saph wrote:
Just checked out the assignment thread. Agreed, great job Jeff!!

+1 !

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2642

Foggy14 wrote:
One more from the Broken Hill Trail:

Stunning image! No surprise you won the assignment, congrats!!

asiostygius

Thank you Mark, Ray, Scott, Jeff, Ronny, Leighton, Peter and Samy for the words and welcome back.

One more from yesterday early night: odd clouds over the city.
This time with the 1971 made Nikkor-O 35/2 in my new toy (unfortunately arrived after my trip ) 2012 made D600:

Strange clouds over the city by labecoaves, on Flickr

Early night clouds over the city.
D600 + old Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 F ai'd, ISO 100, f/8 at 2 sec exposure.

asiostygius

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
mp356 wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
What to do. what to do. what to do. I think I have my D7000 w/kit lens sold. Now do I wait to get the D7100 or, go for the D600 for sale locally for $1500 with 1000 actuations or a refurbished one or one listed on the B&S?

Say it ain't so Ray! Thinking of leaving the DX ranks. First Leighton, and now you are on the fence. You had cited some very good reasons a few days ago as to why the DX 7000/7100 make sense for your style of shooting. I have pondered some of the same issues. Good luck on your decision.
Scott

I am keeping the options open. The 1/4000 top speed on the D600 is a real issue with me It would almost eliminate my daytime shooting wide open. The reach is important as well. So my leaning is much more to the D7100 especially with the 24MP sensor. But like all major purchases I weigh all of the sides

Ray, keep in mind that the D600 can go down to 50 ISO L0.5 setting. In fact, it can go down to 42 ISO! They say it does this a loss of IQ, but I haven't noticed any. One more thing, I haven't had the 1/4000 top shutter speed keep me from any image yet simply for the reason I just mentioned.

Agreed with Leighton and would add that a simple ND filter can fix your Ray's concern when using ISO 100. Even a polarizer can do that in a emergency.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

asiostygius wrote:
leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
mp356 wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
What to do. what to do. what to do. I think I have my D7000 w/kit lens sold. Now do I wait to get the D7100 or, go for the D600 for sale locally for $1500 with 1000 actuations or a refurbished one or one listed on the B&S?

Say it ain't so Ray! Thinking of leaving the DX ranks. First Leighton, and now you are on the fence. You had cited some very good reasons a few days ago as to why the DX 7000/7100 make sense for your style of shooting. I have pondered some of the same issues. Good luck on your decision.
Scott

I am keeping the options open. The 1/4000 top speed on the D600 is a real issue with me It would almost eliminate my daytime shooting wide open. The reach is important as well. So my leaning is much more to the D7100 especially with the 24MP sensor. But like all major purchases I weigh all of the sides

Ray, keep in mind that the D600 can go down to 50 ISO L0.5 setting. In fact, it can go down to 42 ISO! They say it does this a loss of IQ, but I haven't noticed any. One more thing, I haven't had the 1/4000 top shutter speed keep me from any image yet simply for the reason I just mentioned.

Agreed with Leighton and would add that a simple ND filter can fix your Ray's concern when using ISO 100. Even a polarizer can do that in a emergency.

Well that may be true but I have never been a big fan of filters. To have to use a filter for daylight shooting seems like a pain
Here is an example of a shot I just took. Bear in mind this is Florida in the winter at 5:30 pm D7000 85mm 1.4 at F2 1/8000.

asiostygius

Oosty wrote:
Jose - nice big pano. I hope you haven't abandoned the D7000 - we want to see DX vs FX crops side by side.

Peter, no way I would depart a DX body, since as a birder I always need more reach.

As a matter of fact I always prefer to have two camera bodies, since 1980s: firstly a F2 + FM, then a F3 + FM2, before digital a F4 + F90x (N90), a D2x + D80 and finally a D3 + D300 just before my current pair of cameras.
The reason is that for my wildlife trips I use one camera with a long telephoto (wildlife) and the other is ready with a wide angle or normal o register environments.

MDoc9523

asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Mark, Ray, Scott, Jeff, Ronny, Leighton, Peter and Samy for the words and welcome back.

This time with the 1971 made Nikkor-O 35/2 in my new toy (unfortunately arrived after my trip ) 2012 made D600:

Love the dynamic range of this photo especially the sky - well done!

MDoc9523

saph wrote:
Ray, weighing all sides means you will just have to buy at least the 400 5.6 for the D600 if you decide to go FX, so you can still frame your pet eagle about the same ;-)

MDoc9523 wrote:
mp356 wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Scott

Great point Samy. That's what I love about this forum!
Thank you Curtis for your insight too!

asiostygius

I need to share a fact occurred to me during this last trip to Italy.
After torturing myself about which lenses to put in my bag I decided finally for the 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd; 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd, 55mm f/3.5 micro (lighter than the 55/2.8); 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd CPU'd + TC16A for reach if needed; and (shame on me!) a 24-120mm f/4 VR AF-S (a 3 in one lens - wide/normal/short tele).

Below is a graph accounting for lens use (MF vs. AF) in the 7 active shooting days.

Untitled-1 by labecoaves, on Flickr

In spite of the convenience of the AF zoom, its comparatively cheap feeling in the hand and the horrible plastic hood led me to use almost exclusively MF Nikkors after the two first days!
Those solid and metal lenses with smooth focus operation gave me a so much better feeling in my hands; slowing down but at the same time maximizing the fun of taking pictures. Add to these points that I love changing the aperture via aperture ring, even on the my CPU'd 20/2.8 ais and 85/1.8 K ai'd!!
Apart for some situations as BIFs and "nervous" or fast moving animals, I think that autofocus for me is becoming nearly irrelevant! Just my personal impressions, though.
Sorry for my bad English!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2985

One of you made mention of this: The 1/4000 top speed on the D600 is a real issue with me It would almost eliminate my daytime shooting wide open.

Why would this eliminate daytime shooting?

For what I like and my $$ a Dx will work for a long time for me. Ray, if I was in your shoes, I would pony up for the D7100 as you are a master of the Dx format and for what you shoot a lot, I think that format works amazingly well in your hands.

kwoodard

asiostygius wrote:
I need to share a fact occurred to me during this last trip to Italy.
After torturing myself about which lenses to put in my bag I decided finally for the 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd; 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd, 55mm f/3.5 micro (lighter than the 55/2.8); 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd CPU'd + TC16A for reach if needed; and (shame on me!) a 24-120mm f/4 VR AF-S (a 3 in one lens - wide/normal/short tele).

Below is a graph accounting for lens use (MF vs. AF) in the 7 active shooting days.

Untitled-1 by labecoaves, on Flickr

In spite of the convenience of the AF zoom, its comparatively cheap feeling in the hand and the horrible plastic hood led me to use almost exclusively MF Nikkors after the two first days!
Those solid and metal lenses with smooth focus operation gave me a so much better feeling in my hands; slowing down but at the same time maximizing the fun of taking pictures.
Apart for some situations as BIFs and "nervous" or fast moving animals, I think that autofocus for me is becoming nearly irrelevant!
Sorry for my bad English!

Your English is better than mine, I did a similar chart for myself...why I don't have any AF lenses anymore.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1094

Ronny, Peter, Samy and Leighton, thanks for the kind comments!

Jose, love the clouds and city lights. Very nice!

Ray, beautiful flower and background with the 85mm.

Chin, that's a very cool shot with the 45 pc-e. I just may need one of those pc lenses after all.

MDoc9523

kwoodard wrote:
One of you made mention of this: The 1/4000 top speed on the D600 is a real issue with me It would almost eliminate my daytime shooting wide open.

Because I have three F1.4 lenses. Shooting wide open would not be possible at 1/4000 of a sec because of too much light for that speed. The only answer would be to stop down or using a ND filter. The example I posted was at 1/8000 at F2 To use this lens under those circumstances with a D600 it would require stopping down to F5.6 thus destroying the DOF

kwoodard

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:

Because I have three F1.4 lenses. Shooting wide open would not be possible at 1/4000 of a sec because of too much light for that speed. The only answer would be to stop down or using a ND filter. The example I posted was at 1/8000 at F2 To use this lens under those circumstances with a D600 it would require stopping down to F5.6 thus destroying the DOF

Makes sense, never thought about that to be honest... Guess this is my "learning something new everyday" moment...

mp356
Total Posts: 4337

MDoc9523 wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
mp356 wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Scott

Well that may be true but I have never been a big fan of filters. To have to use a filter for daylight shooting seems like a pain
Here is an example of a shot I just took. Bear in mind this is Florida in the winter at 5:30 pm D7000 85mm 1.4 at F2 1/8000.

Ray, with either the FX or DX you would take amazing images. You are very talented. That said, the DX will give you that extra reach you are used to and the D7100 gives you 1/8000 top shutter speed. You will also save a few $$ compared to the D600. Of course, I am a happy D7000 owner so my opinion might be a bit partial.

mp356
Total Posts: 4337

asiostygius wrote:

Strange clouds over the city by labecoaves, on Flickr

Jose, another nice cityscape.

1       2       3              2612      
       2614              4309       4310       end