/forum/topic/929565/2607

1       2       3              2607      
       2609              4364       4365       end

Reagan
Total Posts: 3099

rankamateur wrote:
JRT64 wrote:
rankamateur wrote:

Jim if you need therapy for the Nikon MF Acquisition Syndrome make sure you don't consult with Curtis, Regan, Leighton, Samy or Monty and definitely not me. You might try Phillipe. He manages to take the most marvelous damn pictures with 2 or 3 lenses.

I've been following this thread long enough to know who the pushers are.

My next quest may be to fill the gap between 24mm and 55. That means 35mm, but my researches reveal that that is an expensive focal length (at least compared to my other MF purchases).

Don't dismiss the 35 F2. I have the AI-S and the older O version and I really like both of them. Bjorn said his copy was sharper than the 1.4 at the higher f stops.

Never heard Curtis referred to as "Pusher Man"
Reminds me of an old "Steppenwolf " song

I would go with these 3- 28 2.8 ai-s,35 1.4ai-s and a 50 1.2 ai-s they will get you thru a month or 2

Reagan

Reagan

saph wrote:
Thanks folks for the comments on the DC photos. Couple more pictures from the Vietnam memorial.

The third photo was a bus coincidentally parked in a downtown DC street.

All three were with the 55 f1.2S.

My favorites

Reagan

Oosty
Total Posts: 4047

saph wrote:
+1 and also for using the 500mm mirror for birding. Is that the first sample of a mirror lens on this thread?

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Sam, nice cardinal!

sbarricklow wrote:
Male Cardinal on the backyard bird feeder. Shot with a Nikkor 500 mm mirror lens.

I also liked the "Redbird" - they are stunning.

Samy, I also have one and have posted from time to time (see p.17 #6 ) on this thread

It's a very good lens with a well lit subject - ideally on a tripod since it's very light.

montym
Total Posts: 4711

Going through some oldish pictures

Reagan

Oosty wrote:
Very wet Knysna Turaco on my deck looking for food. despite the generally disparaging comments on the 500/8 mirror one sometimes can get pretty good pics. Comments?

Let me do it for you.From October ,2010

Reagan

montym
Total Posts: 4711

Reagan wrote:
Oosty wrote:
Very wet Knysna Turaco on my deck looking for food. despite the generally disparaging comments on the 500/8 mirror one sometimes can get pretty good pics. Comments?

Reagan

WOW!!!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9568

rankamateur wrote:

Jim if you need therapy for the Nikon MF Acquisition Syndrome make sure you don't consult with Curtis, Regan, Leighton, Samy or Monty and definitely not me. You might try Phillipe. He manages to take the most marvelous damn pictures with 2 or 3 lenses.

JRT64 wrote:

My next quest may be to fill the gap between 24mm and 55. That means 35mm, but my researches reveal that that is an expensive focal length (at least compared to my other MF purchases).

Ahh Jim, I have something that may fit the bill. the 28-50mm f3.5 AI-s. PM me if you're interested.

Reagan

^^^^^Excellent choice JIm

Reagan

JRT64
Total Posts: 96

Ah, a pusher and a facilitator! Thanks, but I prefer primes.

Reagan

He's pretty quick, Leighton

Reagan

leighton w
Total Posts: 9568

Reagan wrote:
He's pretty quick, Leighton

Reagan

We ain't dealing with no dummy here!

saph
Total Posts: 2433

Terrific Peter, outstanding!!! And I am glad I was just curious and didn't make any disparaging comments about the 500 mirror lens

I did go back to p. 17 to see the original post and seems like the lens pusher was active back then too

Reagan wrote:
Oosty wrote:

Reagan

rankamateur
Total Posts: 860

Wasn't even gonna post this but it has been kinda slow so what the heck. A shot I took the other day at Longwood with the 50-135

saph

Who me?? I do have the cure! When I feel the attack coming on I instead go read up on various species from Florida or the zoo there that Ray keeps on featuring here

Reagan wrote:
rankamateur wrote:
JRT64 wrote:
rankamateur wrote:

Don't dismiss the 35 F2. I have the AI-S and the older O version and I really like both of them. Bjorn said his copy was sharper than the 1.4 at the higher f stops.

Never heard Curtis referred to as "Pusher Man"
Reminds me of an old "Steppenwolf " song

I would go with these 3- 28 2.8 ai-s,35 1.4ai-s and a 50 1.2 ai-s they will get you thru a month or 2

Reagan

saph

Ron, super nice image with that reflection. Was that from the day you said you didn't like your shots from Longwood?

rankamateur wrote:
Wasn't even gonna post this but it has been kinda slow so what the heck. A shot I took the other day at Longwood with the 50-135

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6104

For those who are interested in the more rare of MF Nikkors . . . .

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pho/3639630347.html

I won't be making an offer any time soon, though it would be cool to see one in person and throw it on the D800 (after it was AI'd) . . .

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1511

rankamateur wrote:

Ron, beautiful picture.

I wanted to share the trip to lake Coatepeque in El Salvador, this is a crater lake, very deep, not sure how large but large enough. the tallest mountain around it is the Santa Ana Volcano, about 9,000 feet, all the forests around are really coffee farms. My dad was a coffee farmer, we lived in the nearby town of Santa Ana and had a house on the lake where weekends were spent fishing, snorkeling, skying, the nights going by boat to our friends houses for parties and games. (We were kids free to roam, but it was so safe and beatiful back in the 50s and 60s)

Nikkor 16mm 3.5 and 25-50mm 4.0 D800.

A Full view

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 at 11 D800 Coatepeque Lake full view by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The gate

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 at 11 D800 Coatepeque Lake gate Piemonte by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The driveway

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 at 11 D800 Coatepeque Lake driveway Piemonte by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The old house

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 at 11 D800 Coatepeque Lake house 1 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The lake

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 at 11 D800 Coatepeque Lake water by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The lake

nikon nikkor 25-50mm D800 Coatepeque Lake by Rafael CA, on Flickr

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6104

Rafael -

Stunningly beautiful! Great work with that 16/3.5. Though the last one surely is not a 16mm image

John

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13305

Reagan wrote:
Oosty wrote:

Reagan

I loved that shot when Peter first posted it and STILL love it! Thanks for bringing it back Reagan.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13305

JRT64 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Welcome Jim. I'd encourage you to add your first name to your profile so those of us with memory problems won't have to work quite so hard. I have at assume that a young man like Leighton forgot your name because he's be sipping too many beers as he convalesces...

Many of us list our gear as well so we can track one another's kit building and offer recommendations for spending other people's money...

O.K. I finally figured out how to do this. As you may note, I've been a member here for longer than many of you, just too cheap to pay for uploading photos. And I have been a lurker to this thread since it began. I am an active participant over at Nikon Cafe (Pa).

My profile now shows that I have four MF Nikkors: 24/2.8 AIS, 55/3.5 AI micro, 105/2.5 AIS, and since last week a 135/3.5 AI. You folks are to blame for most of the expenditure.

I'm really enjoying the 135 as I seem to have lucked into an exceptional copy.

Glad you decided to join the conversation Jim. Since you're playing with these lenses it makes sense that you'd participate in this get together. As folks have suggested, the only downside is that it is difficult to resist new lens purchases when so many on this thread are so often tempting us with what they're doing with lenses we don't already own. I didn't get to 32 lenses by accident... I may be among the enablers at this point in the life of the thread, but I started with only eight lenses. The combination of subtle encouragement and the continued evidence of the capability of these lenses made resistance futile. But if you've been following us for a long while, you know what you're getting into. Have fun with your lenses, share your work and your observations. This really is a great place to celebrate these lenses.

1       2       3              2607      
       2609              4364       4365       end