Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2606

1       2       3              2606      
       2608              4300       4301       end

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

Tried a quick experiment. Two images of the same subject, moments apart, with same lighting and post-processing adjustments. Only difference is the lens. Same f-stop and shutter speed. Subject was a friends old Kodak camera, manual focus of course. I was surprised at how well the 28 did up close. Thanks for looking.
Scott

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2967

mp356 wrote:
Tried a quick experiment. Two images of the same subject, moments apart, with same lighting and post-processing adjustments. Only difference is the lens. Same f-stop and shutter speed. Subject was a friends old Kodak camera, manual focus of course. I was surprised at how well the 28 did up close. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Love it. I have a similar old Kodak, think mine may be older.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4038

JRT64 wrote:
135 f/3.5 AI at f/8 on a D600:

Welcome Jim. Lovely view.

saph
Total Posts: 2341

Thanks folks for the comments on the DC photos. Couple more pictures from the Vietnam memorial.

The third photo was a bus coincidentally parked in a downtown DC street.

All three were with the 55 f1.2S.

saph

Rafael, looks like a fun reunion. Outdoors looks neat through those windows.

Chuong, beautiful portrait with the 85 1.4!!

Kevin, wonderful to hear your work is being considered for a brochure. BTW, I tried to previsualize lines and shadows sitting at the Old Post Office building while in DC (there's good architecture there), but the results were nothing like what you have posted recently

Jim, welcome and great shot of Leighton's backyard

Leighton, Reagan's got a point about acclimatizing that lens. Last time I was in Florida I stepped out of the hotel room and there was a film of warm moisture on the lens front Love that Staunton basket shot with the the already acclimatized 180 though!

Scott, terrific gritty image (with both lenses) of that old Kodak camera and its manual. Well done!

saph

Americo, saw the video report about the theft of your uncle's ring. Hope it shows up.

saph

+1 and also for using the 500mm mirror for birding. Is that the first sample of a mirror lens on this thread?

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Sam, nice cardinal!

sbarricklow wrote:
Male Cardinal on the backyard bird feeder. Shot with a Nikkor 500 mm mirror lens.

saph

Chin, instead of looking up eBay today, I better spend time reading up on Malayan tigers so mine doesn't say uh-oh

Zichar wrote:
Instead of reading up on clouded leopards, I ended up on eBay looking at '300mm f/4.5's
Surely a sign of excellence in my books...
My wallet says uh-oh!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9451

leighton w wrote:

Nice shot John, looks like you're in my neck of the woods.

JRT64 wrote:
Thanks. Actually, I'm down the road a bit near Blacksburg. That photo was taken over in Craig County.

(By the way, my name is Jim.)

CGrindahl wrote:
Welcome Jim. I'd encourage you to add your first name to your profile so those of us with memory problems won't have to work quite so hard. I have at assume that a young man like Leighton forgot your name because he's be sipping too many beers as he convalesces...

Ha ha that sounds like a better prescription than Ibuprofen Curtis! I took a chance on getting Jim's name right so he would tell us, sneaky ain't I.

leighton w

mp356 wrote:
Scott

Thank you Scott, you just showed us by these two examples why I wanted to get the 28mm AI-s. And it has to be the AI-s as the AI won't focus as close according to photosynthesis.com.

leighton w

saph wrote:
Thanks folks for the comments on the DC photos. Couple more pictures from the Vietnam memorial.

I really like this one Samy, perfect for B&W.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 746

saph wrote:

Really liked your photos from the memorials, this one especially - great capture.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1462

MarkdV wrote:
saph wrote:

Really liked your photos from the memorials, this one especially - great capture.

+100 Samy, really meaningful and beautiful photo.
Rafael

Zichar
Total Posts: 3548

Samy: Just a lot of 'Hey kitty kitty's will do

Leighton: I just read the post about Barbara and the brooder. Are you really indisposed? How lucky! Those chicks look like fantastic subjects though

leighton w

Zichar wrote:
Samy: Just a lot of 'Hey kitty kitty's will do

Leighton: I just read the post about Barbara and the brooder. Are you really indisposed? How lucky! Those chicks look like fantastic subjects though

Hi Chin, yep, I'm pretty much out of commission for another week and a half. I was able to hobble out and drive the tractor to dump the poop! Something like 6 bucket loads of the stuff. Barbara has had to pick up a lot of the slack because of this, what a woman!

Too bad you're not here, we're going to castrate the ram lambs today, what fun!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1462

El Salvador was named after Christ the Saviour by the Spanish, much like San Francisco was named after st. Francis of Asis. There is much still left of the old spain here, less so of the native culture, which is best found in Guatemala.

This, with the D800 and the 50mm 1.2 is the statue of Christ I like the best, representing his passion in a very realistic and human way, looking at the heavens as though asking "why has thou forsaken me".

The 50mm 1.2 does a great job capturing the feeling of this work of art, it is a notoriously difficult lens to focus at 1.2 because it does not math any of my camera's indicator lights, it focuses closer than indicated, the 55mm 1.2 on contrary focuses right on where the camera says.

full size followed by the crop of the face, appropiate shot for my location and Lent.

Christ The Saviour nikon 50 1.2 D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Christ The Saviour nikon 50 1.2 D800 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

JRT64
Total Posts: 95

CGrindahl wrote:

Welcome Jim. I'd encourage you to add your first name to your profile so those of us with memory problems won't have to work quite so hard. I have at assume that a young man like Leighton forgot your name because he's be sipping too many beers as he convalesces...

Many of us list our gear as well so we can track one another's kit building and offer recommendations for spending other people's money...

O.K. I finally figured out how to do this. As you may note, I've been a member here for longer than many of you, just too cheap to pay for uploading photos. And I have been a lurker to this thread since it began. I am an active participant over at Nikon Cafe (Pa).

My profile now shows that I have four MF Nikkors: 24/2.8 AIS, 55/3.5 AI micro, 105/2.5 AIS, and since last week a 135/3.5 AI. You folks are to blame for most of the expenditure.

I'm really enjoying the 135 as I seem to have lucked into an exceptional copy.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 854

JRT64 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Many of us list our gear as well so we can track one another's kit building and offer recommendations for spending other people's money...

O.K. I finally figured out how to do this. As you may note, I've been a member here for longer than many of you, just too cheap to pay for uploading photos. And I have been a lurker to this thread since it began. I am an active participant over at Nikon Cafe (Pa).

My profile now shows that I have four MF Nikkors: 24/2.8 AIS, 55/3.5 AI micro, 105/2.5 AIS, and since last week a 135/3.5 AI. You folks are to blame for most of the expenditure.

I'm really enjoying the 135 as I seem to have lucked into an exceptional copy.

Jim if you need therapy for the Nikon MF Acquisition Syndrome make sure you don't consult with Curtis, Regan, Leighton, Samy or Monty and definitely not me. You might try Phillipe. He manages to take the most marvelous damn pictures with 2 or 3 lenses.

JRT64
Total Posts: 95

rankamateur wrote:

Jim if you need therapy for the Nikon MF Acquisition Syndrome make sure you don't consult with Curtis, Regan, Leighton, Samy or Monty and definitely not me. You might try Phillipe. He manages to take the most marvelous damn pictures with 2 or 3 lenses.

I've been following this thread long enough to know who the pushers are.

My next quest may be to fill the gap between 24mm and 55. That means 35mm, but my researches reveal that that is an expensive focal length (at least compared to my other MF purchases).

rankamateur
Total Posts: 854

JRT64 wrote:
rankamateur wrote:

I've been following this thread long enough to know who the pushers are.

My next quest may be to fill the gap between 24mm and 55. That means 35mm, but my researches reveal that that is an expensive focal length (at least compared to my other MF purchases).

Don't dismiss the 35 F2. I have the AI-S and the older O version and I really like both of them. Bjorn said his copy was sharper than the 1.4 at the higher f stops.

1       2       3              2606      
       2608              4300       4301       end