Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2605

1       2       3              2605      
       2607              5888       5889       end

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8405

kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I feel like I have full-time job... Between shooting and processing images I'm busy all the time, but I still haven't made it to San Francisco. The weather forecast was for rain and overcast so I figured this would be a down day. But by mid-morning I saw some sun breaking through clouds over Mount Tamalpais and thought perhaps this was a good day to try Muir Woods again. It has been raining, so perhaps the tourists stayed home... They didn't. It was a mess again with full parking lots and visitors parking along the roadway for well over a mile past the entrance. I turned around with the intention of giving it up, but when I didn't see any cars waiting at the entrance to main lot closest to the gate I pulled in. Then I noticed someone getting ready to leave. I lucked out! Then I discovered for a one time fee of $10 I could get a "senior pass" that allows me a lifetime of free entrance to national parks and recreation lands. Not too shabby.

I took over three hundred photos today so it will take some time to review them and identify the keepers. Until I'm ready to begin major posting, I'll drop one shot on the thread. This is something we've seen before from John, who loves to point his camera up in the air and take a photo of tree limbs, though he generally uses the 16 f/3.5 AI and I used the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. Nikki did get a workout today, but when taking photos of tall trees I needed wide, not long.

There are redwoods. You'll see more of them...

I like this one. How does it look rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise?

Love it!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8405

CGrindahl wrote:
I think it would be more difficult to view on most monitors Kevin. Besides these are always very subjective choices we make in how we process images. This was how I shot it, so I guess this is how I saw it.

This one is a bit easier. I couldn't resist adding one shot taken with Nikki. This was taken on the way up Mount Tamalpais. There are spectacular vistas in all directions from the mountain, but this is certainly one of the most dramatic. It is another wide shot folks...

Curtis -

I need to visit you down in the Bay Area some time and bring my complete kit! I'd love to take pictures from a location like this. Love it!

- John

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

You'd probably want to mount the 400 and have a blast! If you ever do make the trip south John definitely let me know. I'd be happy to do some shooting with you.

And Scott, it would be possible to hike to this location. I've hiked around the top of Mount Tam, but that was a few years ago. Starting at one of the reservoirs on the north side of the mountain, it is about a twelve mile loop. There are trails laced around and up and down the mountain from all of the communities in the vicinity. I even hiked one day from Muir Woods to the top of the mountain. By John's standards its small potatoes but it was serious hiking for me. I think it was a gain of about 2,000 feet and likely a ten mile round trip. But today I drove... thank heavens considering everything I covered today.

Here's a shot from higher up the mountain on the road leading to the summit. This is a four shot panorama taken with Nikki and converted to black and white. Working in black and white gave me much greater control over the challenging light created by the clouds.

I was out for the evening and have only scratched the surface of what I shot today. Tomorrow weather looks great, so I'll head to San Francisco for sure. Frankly, I'll be happy to box Nikki up on Thursday and pass her back to Ben. I'm exhausted!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

Jose - I love those images with the 400

Georg - really nice shots specially the bunny

Ronny - lovely portraits

Curtis - another luscious ... ice cream

Oosty

Jose - I love the Herculaneum images. It seems so much better preserved than Pompeii - pity I missed iot in "68!

Georg - looks like the snow is finally moving on. the buck is well captured and the tulips are wonderful

Samy - very good detail on the trunk

Reagan - the bee is superb

Kevin - stop showing off! You're going to start a whole new run of N(E)MFAS at this rate

Curtis - the ultimate dilemma. How to capture tall trees? I'm reminded of John Steinbecks "Travels with Charley" and how nonplussed the dog was when shown a lrge redwood. Steinbeck was hoping to photograph him lifting a leg but the dog didn't seem to realise that it was a tree!

Oosty

Ray - very clever bunny shot

Curtis - very nice landscapes

Mike - I like the bike and the day lilies

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

mp356 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I think it would be more difficult to view on most monitors Kevin. Besides these are always very subjective choices we make in how we process images. This was how I shot it, so I guess this is how I saw it.

This one is a bit easier. I couldn't resist adding one shot taken with Nikki. This was taken on the way up Mount Tamalpais. There are spectacular vistas in all directions from the mountain, but this is certainly one of the most dramatic. It is another wide shot folks...

Nice panoramic Curtis. Quite an impressive view. Is it much of a hike to get to this view?

Nice, I've never seen the city from this perspective. I bet the local developers salivate every time they think about what they could build on those hills!

leighton w

m1mgd00 wrote:
Love the macro shots!

Here is a recent one with the 28 f/2 AI. I didn't realize bikes could catch leprosy.

Welcome Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing images from your world.

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

CGrindahl wrote:
Y.

Frankly, I'll be happy to box Nikki up on Thursday and pass her back to Ben. I'm exhausted!

well it's about time too!!!

these latest panos are very dramatic Curtis - don't think I've even seen San Fran from this angle.

ben

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

Reagan wrote:
Someone say Tulips
50 1.4SC

The bee landed at the same moment I pushed the shutter It was pure luck

Reagan

Reagan - are you kidding - that's amazing...and you nailed focus ??!

ben

leighton w

Ronny - Nice to see the human side of the family!

Georg - You have been doing exceptional work of late. The bonfire caught my attention because of the shadow to the left, was this due to fog or mist? The tulips with the 50/1.2 we're fantastic!

Reagan - Speaking of tulips, you nailed that one with the bee, well done.

Kevin - You nailed yours as well!

Ron - Thanks for keeping those up there, we have too many of our own. Barbara saw twenty last evening on the other side of the fence.

Jose - Thanks for taking us on a tour of these two ancient cities. I've learned a lot just looking at your photos.

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
Y.

Frankly, I'll be happy to box Nikki up on Thursday and pass her back to Ben. I'm exhausted!

bruni wrote:
well it's about time too!!!
these latest panos are very dramatic Curtis - don't think I've even seen San Fran from this angle.
ben

Maybe I can persuade the USPS to reroute the package to the East coast.

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Love your shots from Nikki, Curtis.

Here are two recent shots with the 16mm f3.5

Kry27
Total Posts: 172

Hmm, SO MANY posts over the Easter days... Been away, not able to post - let's try to catch up both reading (looking at) and posting.

A little series, 35/2.0:

"I know they have got something... on that table."

"Let me have ..."

"Gotcha! Roastbeef!"

"Wasn't me..." still we pushed the chair just a little further, out of reach...

Kry27

And then, a week ago, I got my "new" lens: the 180mm 2.8 ED

Running home, shooting all the stupid "yippieh ieh ey new lens shots", enjoying it... And I found my wife preparing the Easter bunnies:

I really like - besides the bunnies - how the 180 renders out of focus highlights...

And here's the whole bunch, 50/1.2 stopped down:

pburke
Total Posts: 3006

raboof wrote:
Love your shots from Nikki, Curtis.

Here are two recent shots with the 16mm f3.5

I really like the upper shot with the black ceiling filling much of the upper half of the frame. While scrolling down on the page I first saw only that half of the image - still love that even more than the full image (crop widescreen landscape upper half up, leaving just black and the hole in the ceiling with the great textures.) Cutting that part off the full image turns it into a gloomy abstract art shot. The whole image is great too - lots of things to discover, like the reflection on the bottom right.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

Wow Roland, your wife's really talented. Love the bunnies

Kry27

Thank you very much, I'll forward the compliment to her. She certainly is better a cook/confectioner/baker than I am a photographer...

Playing around, we found that they looked more like ghosts, especially when shot from behind (no pun...).

With 50/1.2, further open, for a really dreamy look:

Reagan
Total Posts: 4616

Thanks,
Kevin,Samy,Scott,Peter,Ben and Leighton

Reagan
Total Posts: 4616

Roland, I like the color bunnies better They look more edible
Send some around the world like Ben did with Nikki
Start with me

Reagan

1       2       3              2605