Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2596

1       2       3              2596      
       2598              5890       5891       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I'll give that a try Peter. I found that very distracting as well since obviously the propellor was very busy at the moment. I've never worked with that particular filter. In fact, I didn't know such a thing existed, but then I'm a beginner with all these fancy pieces of software.

I created this with a great deal of help both in Lightroom and Photoshop with a help from Nik tools. This is a site I'd never visited before. I like this perspective on the SF skyline.

CGrindahl

I tried it Peter...

And the original...

Nice touch... I'll remember that... Thanks Peter.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8410

pburke wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
My copy of the 300/4.5 ED-IF was just a tad better than my 70-300VR - both of which were just OK on my D700. Both have been sold.

I have the 70-300VR mostly for backcountry trips, when a cheaply made modern plastic lens that covers a good range is more likely to be in my pack than a lens built to last a century. Weight is a big issue. I'm heading out for some backcountry ski touring next month and there's just no way I'd bring a bag full of heavy AIS lenses along. In fact, taking a D600 and a few zooms and maybe the 20mm is already pushing it.

I may sell my 300mm f4.5 should I actually buy a big lens just to reduce the sticker shock.

Peter

Yep, as good as the old MF glass can be sometimes the weight just cannot be justified. I've lugged my share of MF glass up mountains and man it can be a back breaker. Hence the purchase of the 70-200/4VR which weighs less than the 200/4 AIS and 105/2.5 AIS combined.

I sold the 300/4.5 due to weight AND due to being kind of an in-between focal length for me.

My FX back country kit is shaping up to be:

16/3.5 AI
20/2.8D
50/1.8G
70-200/4VR
TC14E

and even this is pushing it . . . .

CGrindahl

And a reprise of a photo posted some time ago from the top of a hill at Strawberry Point, though this was shot with Nikki... looking toward the San Francisco skyline with Sausalito in the right foreground.

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

Thanks, Ronny,Ray,Dean and Samy

Reagan

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1943

A nice 55 degree day .....

pbraymond

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Ray, are the farmers' markets open in your neck of the woods?

Not quite open, Leighton. The downtown market is quite a ways from my suburb, and are in the "Winter Market mode" meaning mostly crafts, locally roasted coffee, baked goods, and some hearty winter vegetables. Late summer gets a little better, but it's only open Saturday mornings. I'll probably go down to shop and shoot a little once it's closer to summer when there's more action.

pbraymond

Peter (and Curtis) the rotational blur filter looks really cool. Learnt something new today, thanks!

CGrindahl

Old dogs can learn new tricks...

Very nice set Ray. I'm especially fond of the first two. Glad you're experiencing some relief from the cold stuff in all its forms. Sun is Good! Enjoy.

CGrindahl

A few more photos taken with Nikki during my afternoon ramble... More experimenting with Nik plugins.

I saw this car pull up behind me after leaving the freeway. When he pulled next to me I leaned out the window and took this photo. He turned off before I did, heading down a street in Ross, the small town next to San Anselmo. If is a very wealthy enclave. They have no mail delivery. Everyone picks up their mail at the post office. Median family income is in the neighborhood of $150,000 per year. I guess someone who can afford a home in that town can afford an Aston Martin...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

Curtis, we were probably within miles of each other all day. Took almost 300 shots from various locals with nearly my entire kit of primes. Unfortunately, my money shot was taken while it was raining, so we'll see how it turns out. (49 image pano from what seems to be one of your favorite locals on the Marin side of the Golden Gate, down by the Coast Guard marina. I didn't have time for my second level (raining hard) so I might have to lose some shots. Glad my D7000 is weather resistant and I keep desiccant sacks in my bag. Hope to get them online tomorrow. Even got some pics of Yoda.

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

CGrindahl wrote:
bruni wrote:
asiostygius wrote:

asiostygius wrote:
This is for Curtis, bokeh playing shots from last year, when I still had the 50/2 ai:

However, Curtis has woke up inside me the "scalloped NMFAS mutant virus", so I have bough the 50/2 HC Hopefully it will arrive within next 10 days.

congrats. I've got one too. Haven't seen much difference with the 50/2 - but the scalloped focus ring isnice.
ben

Let's get the order of things straight here fellows... It was Ben who started all the fuss about pre-AI lenses. I was a willing follower and now it appears Jose is joining the club. Today I shot with Nikki, the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd and the 35 f/2 O AI'd. Honestly, I could probably get by with only pre-AI converted lenses most of the time, though I'd never do without the 180 and 300. Fortunately, I don't have to choose...

But its all YOUR fault Ben...

I can wear that Curtis, mea culpa, yeah, I had a bit of a thing about those pre- ai lenses, but when it comes to enabling - I'm nowhere in your league....I'm not the one there are devil effigies about.

ben

(nice San Fran shots with nikki btw)

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

I have one usable and two other nearly usable (on my D7000) pre-AI lenses that are a joy to use. They have a look and feel unmatched by AI and later lenses. I am debating having my 50mm 1.4 and 35mm 2.8 converted so I can use them on my D7000. They are beautiful examples, so I am struggling with the decision. What do you folks think?

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
It is indeed the 300mm 4.5 EDIF AI version made between 78-81. If it is a good price I think I would get it. It looks to be in excellent condition with just a couple scratches on the body. Nikon made several lenses 9 blade when the previous version was 7. The 50mm 1.2 comes to mind. I am sure if you do a search you will find some photos that show the difference. With your love of shooting at a distance I am sure it would be a great addition to your arsenal. Good luck Ronny

Checking a currency converter the price asked is $185 American... a steal! Go for it Ronny. You won't regret it.

The price is what the bid is on now .. do not think it goes below $ 300
so then, the question whether it is worth it?

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Reagan wrote:
Been on Vacation with the wife to South Carolina last week
Low was 27 and the high about 48. dead of winter to us
But we went hiking anyway and had snow flurries all day. The other side of the mountain had 13 inches
Warmed up once we started and with the sun out it was very pleasant

2 with the 25-50 F4
First one is "Banal " I guess that is the word of the week
Second a wedding had just finished in a mountain chapel
Amateur photo guy taking the pics

Reagan

This one is very nice, I bet the bride would have liked it. Hope you didn't get too cold.

leighton w

saph wrote:
Still waiting for a clear night to try the moon with the 1600mm contraption, but in the meanwhile here's a few at the Washington zoo earlier today. The winter finally seems to be on the way out, clouds and wind stayed away all day.

The 400 5.6 AIS got the most work at the zoon, with the 135 f2 coming in handy for indoors animals.

Samy

Orangutan (400 AIS at f/5.6)

Samy, nice set, I like this one the best.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

^...what Leighton said... Looks like a beautiful place.
edit: sorry, I'm typing way too slow to catch up with Leighton - the ^ was directed to Reagan's chapel-picture...

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
I'll give that a try Peter. I found that very distracting as well since obviously the propellor was very busy at the moment. I've never worked with that particular filter. In fact, I didn't know such a thing existed, but then I'm a beginner with all these fancy pieces of software.

I created this with a great deal of help both in Lightroom and Photoshop with a help from Nik tools. This is a site I'd never visited before. I like this perspective on the SF skyline.

I'm with you, I like this perspective as well. Great shot!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3760

If you sell away all your lenses Curtis, perhaps you too can own an Aston Martin Virage Volanta (what a mouthful!)?

leighton w

pbraymond wrote:
A nice 55 degree day .....

Nice series Ray, but this one grabbed my attention. I like the conversion, and the lines of it.

1       2       3              2596      
       2598              5890       5891       end