/forum/topic/929565/2592

1       2       3              2592      
       2594              4049       4050       end

Oosty
Total Posts: 4011

rafaelcasd wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Oosty wrote:
Looking at your pictures is about all I'm up for at the moment! Caught viral conjunctivitis from Ingrid who was over it last week. Not a pretty sight!

I didn't know you could catch it from looking at it but this morning...

It's the eagle eye curse, but after it clears you see as well as the eagle,

From your lips..... it was just about totally shut this morning and isn't much better now. This will pass and I will be able to go outside in harsh light and take pictures...... cabin fever too.

leighton w
Total Posts: 8986

designdog wrote:
As some of you know, I am a new member here, with a "new" D700 and some MF lenses. I looked very hard at the D800/D600, but I also have a lot of $$$ in the Fuji XP1 (great, when Adobe figures it out) and I was not going to go overboard on yet another system. Came close though!

Anyway, the photo below shows why I am astonished with the D700. Just an offhand photo with an inexpensive lens (85 2 AI) of the pond in our backyard. Don't know if you can see it here, but when you look closely at the woods in the very far distance, the amount of resolution is fantastic. Not pixel peeping, just the fact that it shows up at all!

I am sure the d800/D600 is even better. But this works for me, right now...

David, nothing wrong with the D700 as evidenced numerous times on this thread. The more you shoot with these wonderful lenses, the more you'll be "astonished"! Nice pond!

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
One more version of the rainbow. With the 50-135mm.

Best color ever on a rainbow.

Thank you Rafael! I couldn't believe the color of that bow!

leighton w

Oosty wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Oosty wrote:
Looking at your pictures is about all I'm up for at the moment! Caught viral conjunctivitis from Ingrid who was over it last week. Not a pretty sight!

From your lips..... it was just about totally shut this morning and isn't much better now. This will pass and I will be able to go outside in harsh light and take pictures...... cabin fever too.

Too bad you don't live closer, we could convalesce together. I hope it will clear up soon. Are you sure you don't want to try the salt?

Oosty

leighton w wrote:
Oosty wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Oosty wrote:

Too bad you don't live closer, we could convalesce together. I hope it will clear up soon. Are you sure you don't want to try the salt?

Very ******** funny

Hope you're better soon but I guess you're leaving all the hard work to Barbara

leighton w

Oosty wrote:

MarkdV wrote:

rafaelcasd wrote:

Oosty wrote:

leighton w wrote:

Oosty wrote:
Very ******** funny

Hope you're better soon but I guess you're leaving all the hard work to Barbara

She's stuck doing chores for now, but I did ride along with her to the dump today! I'm already going crazy just sitting here.

Oosty

mp356 wrote:
Winter continues but with some nice sun. Taken yesterday with the 28 2.8 ais. I intentionally went out at midday in the bright sun to see what kind of image could be obtained in the harsh light. Thanks for looking.
Scott

I missed this one Scott - really handled the light beautifully. Well done.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 838

leighton w wrote:
Oosty wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Oosty wrote:

Come on Leighton Barbara has enough to do without you inviting people over to convalesce with you. Geeeez give the poor girl a break!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4887

leighton w wrote:

Wow Leighton that's stunning!

!

MDoc9523

Here are some Eagle shots from today. These birds are amazing to watch.They are so majestic that I didn't want to leave! All of these were shot with the D7000 and the 300mm 4.5 EDIF all were wide open save the second one at F11

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5642

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Wow Leighton that's stunning!

!
+1 Rainbows can be quite hard to image.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2707

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are some Eagle shots from today. These birds are amazing to watch.They are so majestic that I didn't want to leave! All of these were shot with the D7000 and the 300mm 4.5 EDIF all were wide open save the second one at F11

These are awesome! I love how this lens performs on the D7000... I had the opportunity to pick up one of these lenses for dirt, I mean DIRT, cheap...had no money for it at the time. (guy wanted $160 for it, was very banged up, but the glass was pristine and the aperture blades were perfect).

MDoc9523

Yes it does Kevin. It is a stellar lens that I bought off of one of our members here at the insistence of Reagan and from the great examples from Curtis. Chuong gave me a wonderful deal on this lens and every time I use it I am thankful for his generosity. Be dilagent and one will preset itself in due time.
I think that you have been doing wonderful work with the lenses that you have and you have proven that it isn't always about the lens. I haven't found any bad Nikkor lenses yet. I owe a lot to the D7000. I sold all of my Canon equipment to secure it, NO regrets here

saph
Total Posts: 2252

Ray, I need to visit Florida just so I can take a picture of your pet eagle too Very nice.

I have seen occasional comments on the 28PC being complicated or people not sure how to use it, so I wanted to try to explain the basic mechanism of shifting in the next couple posts.

First pic is with the regular 20 3.5 UD lens, no shift or anything possible. From where I was standing I couldn't avoid getting the lane in the foreground in the frame. That's the iconic University of Maryland "M" on Campus Drive.

Next pic is with the 28 3.5 PC using the shift function to get rid of the foreground lane and instead get more of the sky. A better composition (I hope ) and removing the unwanted foreground.

Edit to this: both "M" pictures are the complete frames that were captured, no cropping.

And some pics of the lens in shifted and unshifted states next..

MDoc9523

Thank you Samy. Come on down and we'll get together with Reagan and go out shooting
Nice work with the shift. I don't need a shift, I don't need a shift, I don't need a shift

saph

The 28 PC lens, unshifted in the first image. When mounted on the camera, I have the screw pointing vertically downward.

In the second image, I used the screw which operates very smoothly, to shift the lens all the way. On camera, if the screw had been pointing vertically downward to start with, after the shift, the result would the previous picture where I lost the foreground.

Also note the funky aperture ring in the front of the lens. The one closest to the silver cap is where you set the limit. For example if the white dot is on f/11, then you can rotate the inner ring, which is the actual aperture setter, and leave its white dot anywhere between f/3.5 and f/11. If I wanted the lens not to be able to go lower than f/8 for the next few shots for example, I would set the outer ring at f/8.

In this instance, the outer aperture limit is set at f/16, and the actual aperture (inner ring) is at f/11 or so.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 928

Tony, thanks for your comment on the Broken Hill North shot. Getting clear skies and some cirrus clouds really helped.

Rafael, wonderful shot of the Secretary bird.

Jorge and Tony, really nice portraits.

Leighton, spectacular rainbow! Both versions are great, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the second one.

Ron, very nice garden shots.

Scott, love the mid-day shot of the buildings and snow. You're hitting these winter scenes out of the park.

Ray, gorgeous eagles!

Between Leighton, Peter, Mark, Matt and me, we could start our own hospital. Take care guys!

saph

And finally to see what's changing in the innards of the lens upon shifting, here's two shots of the rear element of the lens, unshifted and shifted.

Hope that helps anyone who is interested in or has recently acquired this lens. When I first got it I was a little flustered, but with a little tinkering I figured out that even with my not so mechanically inclined brain I could use it consistently and easily.

The screw could be in the vertical postion pointing straight up (just rotate the lens) and then when you use the screw to shift, you would have the opposite effect, that is you would lose background and more of the top of the frame. One could also keep the screw pointing sideways then you are shifting in the horizontal axis.

The 24 PCE that for example Ben has been demoing recently I am sure is a bit different plus it has an additional tilt function. In addition, the 28 PC can be unforgiving if you don't keep it aligned with the vertical plane. I have had distortions that look crazy. It also has a bit of edge bluriness that I haven't checked if it disappears when stopping down. Also,shifting is not good for corner sharpness.

So for a pro it would be critical to learn how to work around the 28's weaknesses (or just buy the more modern 24 PCE).

Samy

saph

And all pics of the 28 3.5 PC were with the 35 f2 OC, which now I am realizing really was a hole in my focal lengths lineup for manual primes

Hope everyone's that's not feeling well is better soon.

saph

Thanks Ray, I will need to plan for a month in which Reagan doesn't sell his lenses

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Samy. Come on down and we'll get together with Reagan and go out shooting
Nice work with the shift. I don't need a shift, I don't need a shift, I don't need a shift

1       2       3              2592      
       2594              4049       4050       end