Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2584

1       2       3              2584      
       2586              5891       5892       end

m1mgd00
Total Posts: 118

Been lurking in this thread for awhile, so I thought I'd start to share. I've been using MF Nikkors since before there was AF, but my collection has grown in recent years as prices have dropped to absurd levels.

I went to the conservatory garden in Central Park the other day. Spring has only just sprung here (hopefully it will stick around), and there weren't many signs of life yet, but I came away with a few shots I liked.

These are with the 28-50 f/3.5 AIS.

And this one is with the 105 f/2.5 AIS:

Mike

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

m1mgd00 wrote:
Been lurking in this thread for awhile, so I thought I'd start to share. I've been using MF Nikkors since before there was AF, but my collection has grown in recent years as prices have dropped to absurd levels.

I went to the conservatory garden in Central Park the other day. Spring has only just sprung here (hopefully it will stick around), and there weren't many signs of life yet, but I came away with a few shots I liked.

These are with the 28-50 f/3.5 AIS.

Welcome to this thread! I like especially your first shot for the very dynamic composition (I would have guessed it was shot with a shorter focal length). Great start, please keep your pictures coming.

georgms

deang001 wrote:
georgms wrote:
New ships for the Navy - a couple of Corvettes will replace the famous/infamous "Schnellboote" ("S-boats").

20/3.5 Ais and a Cokin graduated ND

I hate shooting a ship from the pier :-( the 20/3.5 was used here too

taken from the stern of another Corvette - the PC 85/2.8D was a bit too long for this
- it's time to save big bucks for a PC-E 45/2.8 ;-)
lens wide open, tilt was about 4 or 5 degrees

Awesome, Georg ... but we expect nothing less ! You're super talented.

I wonder if the 20/3.5 is sharper than the 20/2.8 Ai-S at around f/8?

Maybe my copy was not the best, but the 20/2.8 is the only lens I've been disappointed with since switching to the D800e ... and in the corners mainly .. it never seems to sharpen up.

Thank you, Dean!
In my experience the 20/3.5 Ais has other qualities than sharpness - it's small and light and handles filters very well. For good results in the corners the 20/3.5 needs to be stopped down to about f/11.
I don't own the manual 20/2.8, but added a 20/2.8D to my stable as a lighter alternative to the amazing 14-24/2.8. I've never "tested" the 20/2.8D against the neat 20/3.5.
The mighty AF-zoom is much better than any super-wide I've ever used (I'm talking about 35mm-film-lenses, not about medium- or large-format-lenses).

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

deang001 wrote:

Maybe my copy was not the best, but the 20/2.8 is the only lens I've been disappointed with since switching to the D800e ... and in the corners mainly .. it never seems to sharpen up.

here's a link to a recent full resolution shot with my 20/f3.5, supported on my elbows, pretty low shutter at iso 1100 f8 1/30s with my D600. not the brightest image, but there are enough lines in the bricks and texture in the floor to get some sense of how sharp it is. There is no extra sharpening in that image.

I haven't tried it at infinity yet, but read somewhere that it isn't as good at that end of the focal range. It does very well at close range, though. I may throw the camera in my bag today and snap some shots on my way to work.

georgms

Scott, I like the "geometry" of your rust-shot, an almost "wave-like" pattern.

Curtis, the first flower-shot (a Phalaenopsis?, I'm not familiar with plants I don't eat) is spectacular.
I really like your play with the shallow DoF and the soft rendering of the background.
Silver-Efex will take some time to get used to it, but it's well spent time ;-)

Kevin, the dome is a great test-subject for HDR. I would tweak the curves a bit for a more "punchy" look.

Rafael, the San Diego is one hell of a mighty ship! Very nice angle.

georgms

Thanks for the kind comments on my recent pictures - much appreciated!
Here's an image taken a few minutes ago:

spring is late von georgsfoto auf Flickr
taken with the PC 85/2.8 D at an effective aperture of f/7.6

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

mp356 wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
I had to show a little love to the 180mm 2.8 AI It's the only prime I hadn't tried on my D600. To be honest I never really liked this lens on my D7000, so I didn't hold out a lot of hope. I had considered selling the lens. It took a while shooting to get used to the lens and was a little hard to hold steady. Not sure I want to sell it now

Lovely image Ray!

+1
Loved the yellowish reflection on the water.

asiostygius

CGrindahl wrote:
Before heading to bed I'll drop a few flower shots taken with Nikki at Marin Art and Garden Center. Not much in bloom but always a lovely place to wander about. And Georg, these are shot at f/2. Nikki doesn't seem to want to stay at f/1.8 so I figure this is the best solution.

WOW !

asiostygius

deang001 wrote:
Oosty wrote:
Reflecting on Samy's last post, I've come to realise just how much this thread has evolved since Curtis set us all off on the journey.

At first those of us who had a lens or two joined in with "normal" photos and then we had collective lens lust with many following on one person's lead to acquire more lenses and to show what could be done with them.

Then came the D7000 and D800 NAS and of course the D600 entered the fray.

Ben shared Nikki .. what a show of faith. How well rewarded.

Now we're into showcasing macros and post processed images.

From a small community we've grown to a world wide band with amazing camaraderie and, most important, great tolerance and respect. From a simple "manual focus" lens group we've become a family of photographers with very different backgrounds who know each other as well as any group on the net - all because of the common ground provided by these wonderful old lenses and what they stand for in a world where marketing seems to be more important than quality

My 2c..

Very well said, Peter. Summed it up beautifully.

+100!

asiostygius

georgms wrote:

Very nice! Is this the micro PC 85?

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

I have almost the same experience but with the 20mm f2.8 AF. The corner sharpness is worst than the 20mm f3.5 and the 20mm f4

deang001 wrote:
georgms wrote:
New ships for the Navy - a couple of Corvettes will replace the famous/infamous "Schnellboote" ("S-boats").

20/3.5 Ais and a Cokin graduated ND

I hate shooting a ship from the pier :-( the 20/3.5 was used here too

taken from the stern of another Corvette - the PC 85/2.8D was a bit too long for this
- it's time to save big bucks for a PC-E 45/2.8 ;-)
lens wide open, tilt was about 4 or 5 degrees

Awesome, Georg ... but we expect nothing less ! You're super talented.

asiostygius

Thanks Georg,Scott, Peter and Dean for the comments.

John B, excellent shots, liked the most the river scenario - spetacular colours;

Goran, nice bokeh paying;

Georg, welcome back and what fantastic B&W snow and night shots!

Scott, loved the rust stuff;

m1mgd00, welcome and what a great debut set with the venerable and relatively rare 28-50/3.5;

Kevin, excellent dome HDR;

Samy, looking forward your results with that "heavy artillery' combo

Just a break from ancient cities,
this is an "abstract" + bokeh playing + 4T close up lens test on the 75-150/3.5 E:

Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 + 4T close up lens by labecoaves, on Flickr

Rain droplets on a leaf. A quick "real life" test with this combo.
D600 + 75-150mm f/3.5E @ ~150mm + Nikon 4T close up lens, hand held, ISO 1600, f/8 at 1/160s.
There is some "rumours" this zoom works very well with close up lenses.
Even at f/8, note the very thin DOF!!
These E-series at the time they were launched - people criticized them because "cheap construction", but compared to today's (most) plastic zooms this 75-150/3.5 is clearly better made.

georgms

Jose, thank you!
Yes, "PC 85/2.8D" is my short term for PC Micro-Nikkor 85/2.8D. It's the first version of Nikon's Tilt/Shift-85mm's.
Your work with the 75-150 is amazing - beautiful droplets against the green background.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

Thanks for the compliments all. These two are my first attempts at HDR, as well as the first time I have used Photomatics. The dome shot was hand held looking straight up. Wasn't in a position to lay down and couldn't get under the center anyway (statue there). The building shot had even fewer locations to shoot from. The old pileings were the least busy of the choices.

I am not a huge fan of HDR when things start looking fake or overdone. I prefer more natural looking ones.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 877

Dean- The moped is great in B&W

Jose the Pompeii shots continue to amaze - really nice

Mark I love the livestock and your not in Virginia-who woulda known

Ray the Egret is really outstanding on the yellow water.

Scott the steel feather dusters are nice. Have not loved my 28-50 yet but I hope to soon

Kevin the dome looks really good in HDR

Curtis it is only appropriate that Nikki ends with you. The shots with it thus far are captivating. Keep em comin

Rafel the ship pic is really nice. I read about it and now you provided us with a good shot of it.

Leighton- you are a blabbermouth!

I am off to do what I do best. Acquire! Got a lead on the rarest of them all that might be coming up at an estate auction

georgms

Another one from the same flowers:

spring is late II von georgsfoto auf Flickr
I've tried to make the melting snow look as crystalline as possible - PC Micro-Nikkor 85/2.8D wide open this time

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

georgms wrote:

Very nice Georg. Well seen and converted. Thank you for the comment on my image.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Love the flowers in the snow both in BW and color. Resilience is the name of the game for both humans and for our companions on the planet, both animal and vegetable. Spring is a time of new beginnings. We can all use those. Of course, we see the flowers rising through cracks of concrete as well. Where that urgency to live abides it is inspiring to say the least. Wonderful work Georg.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

asiostygius wrote:
Just a break from ancient cities,
this is an "abstract" + bokeh playing + 4T close up lens test on the 75-150/3.5 E:

Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 + 4T close up lens by labecoaves, on Flickr

Rain droplets on a leaf. A quick "real life" test with this combo.
D600 + 75-150mm f/3.5E @ ~150mm + Nikon 4T close up lens, hand held, ISO 1600, f/8 at 1/160s.
There is some "rumours" this zoom works very well with close up lenses.
Even at f/8, note the very thin DOF!!
These E-series at the time they were launched - people criticized them because "cheap construction", but compared to today's (most) plastic zooms this 75-150/3.5 is clearly better made.

Thank you for the comment Jose. I like the slice of area that is in focus with this image. How does the 75-150 perform with tubes vs the close-up lens?
Scott

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Jose, i love your bokeh play. That is a rarity for you with your gorgeous photos of birds and your more recent travel photos. This proves there is an artist as well as a scientist lurking within. I like isolation with a narrow focal plane because it permits us to evoke feelings as we view an image. Your image does that for me. I really love this kind of work. Well done.

1       2       3              2584      
       2586              5891       5892       end