Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2583

1       2       3              2583      
       2585              5887       5888       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I'm always a happy fellow when Georg and Dean show up on the thread... as always with entrancing photos. Love the bicycle conversions Dean and the trolley in the snow is a stunner Georg. With so many of us adding the Nik tools we should have some interesting black and white work EVEN WITHOUT MONTY...

Here are two conversions I did of a shot taken this afternoon with Nikki. I likes the twisted limbs. The first was processed in Lightroom, the second in Silver Efex Pro 2. So many options and so little understanding of how to use them all... Time for a tutorial or two...

CGrindahl

I had a bicycle adventure today as well. There is a cooperative bicycle repair shop that opened last year not too far from where I live. The store is on a major bicycle route used by riders heading out to West Marin, whether on the open road or up into the mountains. I've been watching with interest over the months to see if they'd make a go of it. They charge members $100 a year for access to their workshop. I decided to take Nikki for a tour and was greeted warmly by the fellow who is running the place.

I asked about his passion for bicycles and he told me he is a sociologist who chose to work with bicycles because they so easily engage him with people. The idea came to him when, after graduating from the university he approached a couple of local shops to inquire about using their equipment to work on his bicycle. The way he put is was "they wanted an arm and a leg and I don't have enough of those to waste any." So he dreamed up this non-profit and began building the business. He is committed both to bicycles, the environment and to social justice. No one who has a need will be turned away because they can't afford the part. When I was there two young men cam in and when it was clear they couldn't afford to buy the wheel they needed he sent them to the repository at the rear of the property where bicycles and parts are stacked.

Here are some random shots...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4678

Here is my second... Seem to get a bit of noise in mine; still learning these though. Thoughts?

Series E 28mm f/2.8

Across the River HDR by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Exif data
Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 28 mm
ISO Speed 125

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

georgms wrote:
New ships for the Navy - a couple of Corvettes will replace the famous/infamous "Schnellboote" ("S-boats").

taken from the stern of another Corvette - the PC 85/2.8D was a bit too long for this
- it's time to save big bucks for a PC-E 45/2.8 ;-)
lens wide open, tilt was about 4 or 5 degrees

Here is looking at you

USS San Diego Comissioning Nikon Nikkor 25-50mm ai f/4.0 f4 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

CGrindahl

Before heading to bed I'll drop a few flower shots taken with Nikki at Marin Art and Garden Center. Not much in bloom but always a lovely place to wander about. And Georg, these are shot at f/2. Nikki doesn't seem to want to stay at f/1.8 so I figure this is the best solution.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

CGrindahl wrote:
Before heading to bed I'll drop a few flower shots taken with Nikki at Marin Art and Garden Center. Not much in bloom but always a lovely place to wander about. And Georg, these are shot at f/2. Nikki doesn't seem to want to stay at f/1.8 so I figure this is the best solution.

Spectacular!!

Oosty

Ray, Curtis, Kevin, Georg, Mark - thanks for the comments. Frankly I didn't expect the reaction I got since lightning is a daily event up in the central areas of SA. At golf yesterday though the locals were quite animated discussing this storm which is obviously quite rare here (we've been here for 31/4 years)

Mark - I exposed at f8 for 25 seconds on each image and then combined the two using Combine ZM which is a free download. It was easy (in spite of no instructions) since I had the lens on a tripod and they were just about in register.

Kevin - your best chance of getting lightning is to become a golf fan! In summer on the PGA tour there's a lightning interruption just about evry other week

Oosty

Mark - I loved the cows and pigs which to me = cheese and ham! Th raptor shots are great and the 2nd is surely a buzzard .

Curtis - you are on a mission! Great shop windows, excellent b&w conversions (with and without Nik) and a really good photo story at the bike repair shop.

Kevin - the dome image is outstanding. Were you lying on your back with your lens perfectly placed under the centre?

Craig - isn't life funny. At some stage one really looks forward to being away from the kids foe a while and then when they're gone one really misses them. Wait for the grandchildren! I like all the "break" images.

Dean - really appropriate conversions for that old moped.

Jose - you have now set a new standard for resolution tests. Most of us have to settle for an ordinary brick wall. Great stuff.

John B - the colours in the Potomac image are beautiful.

Ray - the golden image of the Great Egret is magnificent.

Goran - very nice tube shots just showing again what a fine lens the 105 is

Georg - excellent b&w's and great colour image of the corvette

Scott - cheer up, spring really is here (there0, and you'll be out and about soon! I like the rusting rebar

Rafael - excellent shot of the new ship

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Haven't had much time this week and will compile comments on each of these terrific images later in the day. Good to see Georg visit back and Ray (FL), loved the warm light behind that white egret.

Rafael's multi-TC setup and his telescope-like lunar image are motivating me to ignore the chill and open the window tonight, setup the tripod (so long as its not cloudy) and point the 500 F4P with the TC-301 + TC14 + TC16A at the moon (will the TCs work chained together?).

Samy

Oosty

Samy, I'm sure they'll work but your aperture will be tiny. What can go wrong?

Look forward to the results.

Oosty

Reflecting on Samy's last post, I've come to realise just how much this thread has evolved since Curtis set us all off on the journey.

At first those of us who had a lens or two joined in with "normal" photos and then we had collective lens lust with many following on one person's lead to acquire more lenses and to show what could be done with them.

Then came the D7000 and D800 NAS and of course the D600 entered the fray.

Ben shared Nikki .. what a show of faith. How well rewarded.

Now we're into showcasing macros and post processed images.

From a small community we've grown to a world wide band with amazing camaraderie and, most important, great tolerance and respect. From a simple "manual focus" lens group we've become a family of photographers with very different backgrounds who know each other as well as any group on the net - all because of the common ground provided by these wonderful old lenses and what they stand for in a world where marketing seems to be more important than quality

My 2c..

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

WOW! And I thought I was the blabbermouth! 3 pages added since my last visit.

Craig - Lovely use of bokeh and a nice portrait.

Dean - Always nice to see you posting images again. I like what you did with the post work on the bike.

John - I use to stomp around Great Falls when I was a teen in Fairfax. Always good to see images that remind me of my youth, keep them coming.

Ray - That shot with the 180 is just plain outstanding! You nailed the color, composition, reflection and timing with the birds beak in the water. VERY well done.

Goran - Nice images, I like the typewriter keys the best.

Georg - Very nice to see you again, we've missed seeing your work. The snow scenes and the ship are really really good. Don't be a stranger.

Kevin - I like the dome shot, not overly done. With the second one of the building, I would have liked it better if you left out the pipes in the foreground. But that's just my opinion.

Curtis - You have been a REALLY busy guy with Nikki. You may well break the image count with her! I love the "twisted limbs" shot.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

Oosty wrote:
Reflecting on Samy's last post, I've come to realise just how much this thread has evolved since Curtis set us all off on the journey.

At first those of us who had a lens or two joined in with "normal" photos and then we had collective lens lust with many following on one person's lead to acquire more lenses and to show what could be done with them.

From a small community we've grown to a world wide band with amazing camaraderie and, most important, great tolerance and respect. From a simple "manual focus" lens group we've become a family of photographers with very different backgrounds who know each other as well as any group on the net - all because of the common ground provided by these wonderful old lenses and what they stand for in a world where marketing seems to be more important than quality

My 2c..

Well said Peter.

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

Oosty wrote:

My 2c..

Very well said, Peter. Summed it up beautifully.

deang001

leighton w wrote:
Oosty wrote:

My 2c..

Well said Peter.

And a hefty percentage of this is your doing, Leighton ... along with Curtis of course ... nice work guys

deang001

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the bike pics.

deang001

rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:
New ships for the Navy - a couple of Corvettes will replace the famous/infamous "Schnellboote" ("S-boats").

Here is looking at you

Both lovely shots, guys ... thank God we're all on the same side these days !!

deang001

CGrindahl wrote:

Very nice, Curtis ... looks like Nikki passes the flower/bokeh test !!

deang001

asiostygius wrote:
Some of the last shots from Pompeii, perhaps tomorrow I will be posting the firsts from Herculaneum.

These are some brickwork examples from the ancient city, all exposed due to the fact that stucco or other external surfaces were destroyed with the time and or escavations.

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 400, f/8 at 1/400s.
External wall of the House of Apollo, showing at right large rectangular tuff blocks ("opus quadratum") and at the left smaller irregular stones ("opus incertum"). These mixed patterns are not uncommon at Pompeii, perhaps reflecting the 62 AD earthquake that virtually destroyed large parts of the town, which was at reconstruction until 79 AD.

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 200, f/5.6 at 1/160s.
Mixed brickwork called "opus reticulatum" - concrete-faced with diamond-shaped blocks/stones (right) and rectangular fired bricks (left)

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 400, f/5.6 at 1/640s.
Terracota pipe with "opus incertum" at left with some remnants of stucco and "opus latericium" at the right.

D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd & CPU'd hand held, ISO 200, f/4 at 1/1000s.
Closer view of a mixed brickwork, at left "opus incertum", at the right "opus vittatum mixtum" .

Source for brick classification: Joanne Berry - The complete Pompeii - Thames & Hudson Ltd, 2007.

Wonderful stuff, Jose ... I am dying to get over there later on in the year. Great images and love the commentary as well.

deang001

georgms wrote:

20/3.5 Ais and a Cokin graduated ND

I hate shooting a ship from the pier :-( the 20/3.5 was used here too

taken from the stern of another Corvette - the PC 85/2.8D was a bit too long for this
- it's time to save big bucks for a PC-E 45/2.8 ;-)
lens wide open, tilt was about 4 or 5 degrees

Awesome, Georg ... but we expect nothing less ! You're super talented.

I wonder if the 20/3.5 is sharper than the 20/2.8 Ai-S at around f/8?

Maybe my copy was not the best, but the 20/2.8 is the only lens I've been disappointed with since switching to the D800e ... and in the corners mainly .. it never seems to sharpen up.

1       2       3              2583      
       2585              5887       5888       end