Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2582

1       2       3              2582      
       2584              4041       4042       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12733

Ben, I didn't comment on your recent set of images, but I was quite taken with them as well... especially the woman passing with the delicious lighting. I'm glad you're happy with the major investment you made for that PC-E lens. They remain a bit rich for my pocket book, but I always enjoying seeing what they produce. I look forward to your experimentation with that lens. Have fun!

philipj
Total Posts: 836

bruni wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Beautiful image Philip of what is surely the pride of your life... She is gorgeous and this is a great photo. Well done.

+1

I like the strong light too coming from above - giving her a bit of glow. (Am I seeing some green fringing too Philip?)

ben

Thanks Curtis and Ben! Yes, the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s is prone to LoCA wide open, with some obvious green fringing about strongly backlit subjects behind the focal plane. Strangely I don't often shoot scenes where the corresponding purple is also observed in front of the focal plane, but rest assured, it too is around. Disappears when stopped down, but what's the fun in stopping a lens down?

saph
Total Posts: 2251

Rafael, thanks for posting that comparison link for the 5.8cm 1.4S. Excellent review against the modern 50 1.4G. It seems to lag behind mainly in terms of edge performance and coma, after six decades. Not bad at all.

http://lenstip.com/114.11-article-50_years_of_Nikon_F-mount_%E2%80%93_Nikkor-S_5.8_cm_f_1.4_vs._Nikkor_AF-S_50_mm_f_1.4G_Summary.html

An interesting page to look at for various versions of the 5.8cm and 50mm 1.4 lenses is here:

http://destoutz.ch/lenses_standard_50mm_f1.4.html

Based on the serial #s there, I am able to estimate my copy of the 50 1.4S was produced late 1967 - early 1968.

Samy

huddy
Total Posts: 1825

Philip,
Margot certainly is quite the cute little girl!

Reagan
Total Posts: 2850

One of the first photos with my 50 1.4 SC
My first AI lens now I see what they mean by a longer focus throw. I like the scalloped ring
Whether I like it better than the 50 1.8 ai-s remains to be seem but one will have to go
A little rust with it

Reagan

leighton w
Total Posts: 8978

Reagan wrote:
My first AI lens now I see what they mean by a longer focus throw. I like the scalloped ring
Whether I like it better than the 50 1.8 ai-s remains to be seem but one will have to go
A little rust with it

Reagan

I have one AI lens and I'm not too keen with it. I believe I'll stick to the AI-s versions. Good bokeh play by the way.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4010

rafaelcasd wrote:
Oosty wrote:
The more I use the 28-45 4.5 the more I like this lens. Some more examples from the West Coast

My copy of the 28-45mm is very sharp on the D800 with very unique look. Your photos will make me use it more. The lens is light compared to the 25-50mm and it is the best built zoom ever.

nikon nikkor 28-45mm 4.5 25-50mm by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Rafael, at first I hated this lens. Didn't think it compared to the 28 2.8 or the 50 f2 but I've become a convert if only for convenience when travelling - and it cost me about $70!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1260

leighton w wrote:
Reagan wrote:
A little rust with it

Reagan

I have one AI lens and I'm not to keen with it. I believe I'll stick to the AI-s versions. Good bokeh play by the way.

It is about what works for ourselves, for me the longer rotation of the non-ai, k and ai focusing rings is better than the loose short rotation ais norm. Prefer the added drag and precision.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 659

Fasnacht hit Winterthur today and with it the traditional Guggenmusik parade.

All taken with the 180mm and the 35-70mm which was a very handy lens in the circumstances.

leighton w
Total Posts: 8978

MarkdV wrote:

All taken with the 180mm and the 35-70mm which was a very handy lens in the circumstances.

I think the evil spirits made it in anyway! Great shot Mark.

Paul Gabel
Total Posts: 288

montym wrote:
Zichar wrote:
Monty: Yikes. Which AF lens are you planning to get that requires you to have a cabinet clearance sale?

THe AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Ya, I'm crazy....

Well Monty, that is one hell of a lens, one of the best Nikon made. But it is quite big, not something many people will appreciate getting shoved in their faces. On the other hand, it is so fast that you will probably get a focused shot before they have time to 'salute' you.

Paul

saph
Total Posts: 2251

Mark, what a fun event. Out of the set, I am most enthralled with the shot of the drummer with the 180.

Samy

MarkdV wrote:

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2688

Series E 28mm... Took this shot intending it to be in B/W. Thoughts?

DSC_6735 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

digitalthump
Total Posts: 202

Kevin - Very nice B/W.

montym
Total Posts: 4700

kwoodard wrote:
Series E 28mm... Took this shot intending it to be in B/W. Thoughts?

DSC_6735 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

PERFECT!
Love the symmetry
The horizontal and vertical lines offset my the arrow!
Oh yes, b/w is first rate!

Monty

Paul Gabel
Total Posts: 288

Thank you all for your kind comments on my concert series. Now for something completely different: three shots with the 20mm/3.5 and one with the 28mm/3.5 PC (unshifted). Shots taken a week ago during a walk with my wife passing Durgerdam, just north of Amsterdam. My first outing with the shift lens; it was freezing cold and I didn't want my wife to put up with me figuring out how the shift works.

A skewed wooden church in need of renovation:

_PG24285 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Wooden houses overlooking the former Zuiderzee:

_PG24287 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Freeze-drying the laundered bedsheets:

_PG24290 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Swan couple distrusting my moves with tripod and shift lens:

_PG24302 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Paul

montym
Total Posts: 4700

Thanks everyone for your great comments about me. Much appreciated
No MF lenses are sold yet.

Who knows, I may keep everything. Although my wife would have a HUGE fit

Monty

digitalthump
Total Posts: 202

Had a chance to get out today. First three with the 105/2.5 and a macro with a 55/3.5 and 36mm tube.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 838

rafaelcasd wrote:
Oosty wrote:
The more I use the 28-45 4.5 the more I like this lens. Some more examples from the West Coast

My copy of the 28-45mm is very sharp on the D800 with very unique look. Your photos will make me use it more. The lens is light compared to the 25-50mm and it is the best built zoom ever.

nikon nikkor 28-45mm 4.5 25-50mm by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Rafael and Peter you guys are lucky. My 28-45 was a dog. It was my first 72mm zoom. When Peter said he was getting one I really was hoping it would not disappoint him,. Obviously it has not.

mp356
Total Posts: 4182

saph wrote:
Sun finally out today, so here's a picture of old glory with the 400 5.6 AIS.

Nice sharp image. You do nice work with the 400.

1       2       3              2582      
       2584              4041       4042       end