Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2580

1       2       3              2580      
       2582              5891       5892       end

wapsijims
Total Posts: 40

I've been watching everyone's nice outdoor pics for the last few weeks hoping for some sign of spring here in Iowa. Yesterday and today the sun was out and it's in the 40's!!! I got a couple flowers of spring with my 105 2.5 and PN-11. I find hand holding isn't as easy, in spite of the many examples I've seen here, but still fun.

jim s

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Welcome Jim that's a great way to introduce yourself. Beautiful and color filled shots!

Ray

wapsijims
Total Posts: 40

thanks Ray. I've posted once or twice before, but mostly I just watch and learn, learn, learn.

MDoc9523

asiostygius wrote:
Some more from Pompeii.
This is a example of street signs at Pompeii. Perhaps they spoked of "goat street" instead of the modern day archeologist's creations as Via della Abondanza, Via di Mercurio, etc.

D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 320, f/5.6 at 1/5000s, ~5% cropped.
Ancient strret sign (in this example a goat) and below it the less elegant modern (made by archeologists) street sign.

Here we have the supposed Arch of Caligula framing via di Mercurio and the Vesuvius:

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 320, f/8 at 1/800s, ~10% cropped.
This is a vie of Via di Mercurio leading to Mercurio tower. The arch is attributed controversially to Caligula, since during escavations a statue or bust with a similar face of this infamous emperor was found closeby.

The Arch is wonderfully framed. Very nice Jose!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4212

Two stacked images (Combine ZM) converted to B&W

MDoc9523

^^^^^^^
WOW!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

pbraymond wrote:
...Curtis, you're recent efforts with the 24mm has me thinking about swapping the 28 f2.8AIS for a 24mm, though it's just in the thinking stage (this probably means "supplement" instead of "swap" ). I have so many ways to get to 24mm, just not in MF land :-). Nice pics with Nikki, though I agree with you that the landscape seems to lend itself to the 24mm more.

I'm having a blast reading the long glass "enablers" since they hold no temptation for me, don't think I'm up to hauling glass like that around often enough. I do enjoy the pics though, so keep them coming.

Frankly, I'm quite surprised to find the 24 so appealing. I've had the 24 f/2.8 AI-s in my kit for quite some time and it hasn't gotten much love, in part because I'm a huge fan of the 28mm focal length. I have three primes at that length including the f/2, f/2.8, both AI-s versions, and the 28 f/3.5 H AI'd that came with my relatively recent fixation on converted pre-AI lenses. I'll admit the 24 f/2.8 H.C. AI'd has taken center stage from time to time since its arrival, but i don't expect it to displace the 28s. But it is such a beautiful little lens that I love using it. I'm not certain I'll do the test Jose asked about, comparing it with the AI-s, but I expect it will continue to get plenty of use.

And I'm with you regarding long lenses. You own a couple of monsters already. I, on the other hand, made the decision early on that I didn't want big lenses. For that reason I opted for the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF and the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF, both of which are manageable in both size and weight. As appealing at the 500 f/4 AI-p is in terms of its performance, it won't ever find its way to my kit unless someone gives me one. That might actually motivate me to buy a tripod...

CGrindahl

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
Went to the Jelly Belly factory on Monday. Was only able to take a few shots (and nothing inside) but this one was a standout.

Series E 50mm f/1.8
Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias +1/3 EV

That's what I'm talkin' about Kevin. Terrific shot!!!
Your portraits are spot on good!

What Ray said... Excellent work, though I am a bit intrigued by a jelly bean FACTORY... That would be a very dangerous place to work...

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

Jose - lovely shots from Pompeii (again). An amazing collection and loving them. thanks for keeping on sharing.

Jim, lovely flower shots, the purple especially with the water droplets.

Peter, How long where your exposures for your stacked B&W? It's stunning.

Kevin, lovely shots of your niece and the Jelly Belly Bike.

Chin, great shot of the sky scrapers.

MarkdV

jbailey930 wrote:
Wow, this is a great thread! Thanks for the nice comments on my dog. She is actually 12 y/o and may have cataracts but she is still a pup to us.

I hope to post more as I have a decent collection of MF Nikkors - 20 3.5, 28 2.0, 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and 1.4, 55 3.5 and the great 105 2.5

With a collection like that you have no excuse not to be posting more! But be careful, showing everyone your lineup like this only invites some members to helpfully suggest where some gaps could be filled.

(cough - 85mm - cough)

BTW, I didn't have a chance to comment at the time, but a nice pic of your 'pup' and welcome.

CGrindahl

MDoc9523 wrote:
^^^^^^^
WOW!

Triple wow Peter! This is great work. Lightning is not something often seen in this area. I love these kinds of shots.

MarkdV

Some portraits of the locals at a recent farm visit with the 50mm.

CGrindahl

You made Leighton's day Mark... or maybe he's seen enough suckling pigs for one lifetime...

At least while in a barn, you're warm and relatively dry... harbingers of spring perhaps...

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Nice shots Mark. I remember my days in Vietnam. I was constantly harassed by these little ones wanting something to eat. They followed me everywhere I went and were very noisy.

CGrindahl

Sadly, we have overcast skies and a forecast of showers for the next few days, so my trip to San Francisco is on hold at the moment. I may try Muir Woods one more time. I couldn't park within a mile and a half of the entrance when I passed by on Monday. What are all these folks doing in the Bay area during the week? I thought I had the place to myself, but NO...

Last night I took Nikki out for the evening. She didn't seem to mind shooting in the dark, at least when the windows were illuminated as they typically are downtown. I know those who've been around this thread for a long while know I have a predilection for taking photos of shop windows at night, something the D700 handles without breaking a sweat. So here are three shop windows shot with Nikki at f/2, manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/200th of a second. It worked like a charm. I've found that when I nail focus, which is quite easy with the D700, this lens is so sharp there is no need for me to add sharpening to my workflow. Simply crop for composition, resize and save as a JPG file.

I used noise reduction with the second image that had such a bright window that the rest of the image was deep in shadow. I was able to pull up a great deal of detail but at the expense of a bit of noise that LR handled quite well. One of these days I'll do some tutorials with the Nik tools. Should be fun...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

Oosty wrote:
Two stacked images (Combine ZM) converted to B&W

Amazing picture! Lightning photo is on my bucket list...

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

CGrindahl wrote:
You made Leighton's day Mark... or maybe he's seen enough suckling pigs for one lifetime...

At least while in a barn, you're warm and relatively dry... harbingers of spring perhaps...

Mark, you certainly did! There's nothing like raising pigs, my favorites. We haven't had pigs for a long time, I miss them.

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

CGrindahl wrote:
Sadly, we have overcast skies and a forecast of showers for the next few days, so my trip to San Francisco is on hold at the moment. I may try Muir Woods one more time. I couldn't park within a mile and a half of the entrance when I passed by on Monday. What are all these folks doing in the Bay area during the week? I thought I had the place to myself, but NO...

Last night I took Nikki out for the evening. She didn't seem to mind shooting in the dark, at least when the windows were illuminated as they typically are downtown. I know those who've been around this thread for a long while know I have a predilection for taking photos of shop windows at night, something the D700 handles without breaking a sweat. So here are three shop windows shot with Nikki at f/2, manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/200th of a second. It worked like a charm. I've found that when I nail focus, which is quite easy with the D700, this lens is so sharp there is no need for me to add sharpening to my workflow. Simply crop for composition, resize and save as a JPG file.

h

I used noise reduction with the second image that had such a bright window that the rest of the image was deep in shadow. I was able to pull up a great deal of detail but at the expense of a bit of noise that LR handled quite well. One of these days I'll do some tutorials with the Nik tools. Should be fun...

very nice - haven't seen shop windows in a long time - the weather's obviously forcing you to get creative.

ben

CGrindahl

Thanks Ben. In fact, I was just posting a photo on the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World and the thought crossed my mind that I haven't used an extension tube with Nikki yet. I don't think she would be offended...

Getting close is always a good antidote to lousy weather for a photographer... though I just saw a ray of sunlight through the clouds, so I believe it is time to hit the road.

Later folks...

MarkdV

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Mark, you certainly did! There's nothing like raising pigs, my favorites. We haven't had pigs for a long time, I miss them.

Glad to make your day Leighton. I agree with you, pigs are my favorite farmyard animal as well (I know, I should say sheep, but pigs have the edge I think).

1       2       3              2580      
       2582              5891       5892       end