Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2580

1       2       3              2580      
       2582              4376       4377       end

montym
Total Posts: 4711

For "Monty's Monthly Meetup" our photo club went to an art museum yesterday.
I always make everyone pose for a group shot. I hate group shots, they always look the same. I try to make them different by using the 16mm

Monty

leighton w
Total Posts: 9607

montym wrote:
THe worst part of all this is that I no longer feel a part of this thread. I've posted in a few other threads, but none compare to the friendship I've found here! I'll stay in touch...

Just because the lenses are for sale doesn't mean they will sell. And yes, I'll continue to post....

I've very impulsive. Like a light switch. On then off then back on again. In a year or so I'll probably be buying them all over again

Monty

You and Reagan can start some kind of support group!

montym

leighton w wrote:
montym wrote:
THe worst part of all this is that I no longer feel a part of this thread. I've posted in a few other threads, but none compare to the friendship I've found here! I'll stay in touch...

Just because the lenses are for sale doesn't mean they will sell. And yes, I'll continue to post....

I've very impulsive. Like a light switch. On then off then back on again. In a year or so I'll probably be buying them all over again

Monty

You and Reagan can start some kind of support group!

That is just what I need, another support group

pburke
Total Posts: 2131

montym wrote:

I treat my MF glass like vintage cars - they are fun to take out on a spin from time to time, but I am quite aware that there are more capable options out there. MF glass and this thread are also a great reason to just go out and shoot something, but you clearly don't seem to have a problem to motivate yourself to shoot pictures

Even though I shoot mostly AF 'when it matters,' I'm still looking to extend my MF kit (16mm and 50/55mm f1.2 mostly). Beyond that, any major lens investment in glass will most likely be a modern lens, with full DXO profile for perfect correction, and almost all of those are AF.

Meanwhile MF glass I have helps me stay sane by providing a reference of what used to be great - keeps me away from the highest end nano-fangled hyper lenses, as I can see in comparison that even my consumer AF lenses are quite excellent these days. But you certainly don't need a collection of really nice nikkors like yours to have that reference. Just keep your favorite(s) and take them for a Sunday morning spin once in a while

Reagan
Total Posts: 3112

Bad thing about taking vintage cars out for a spin is they get filthy in about 5 min and you spend a few hours cleaning them
Best of luck to to you Monty
I hear the AF calling me again. I should have never borrowed one.
It's like a voice I can hear right in my ear saying SELL SOMETHING

Reagan

montym

I'll stop selling when I have enough $$$ for the lens I currently drooling over.
Hopefully the 85mm doesn't sell

Have you seen the latest rebates

rebates here

Zichar
Total Posts: 3584

Monty: Yikes. Which AF lens are you planning to get that requires you to have a cabinet clearance sale?

montym

Zichar wrote:
Monty: Yikes. Which AF lens are you planning to get that requires you to have a cabinet clearance sale?

THe AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Ya, I'm crazy....

Reagan

I saw the rebates this morning. Still more money than I want to spend. I will rent one if I need it for vacation
I feel the new Sigma 35 1.4 AF pulling at me but a new carburetor is pulling the other way.When is the next Powerball drawing
I almost bought a 85 1.4 on the B/S but the guy p*ssed me off so I told him to forget it. Just as well I would have sold it next month

Reagan

Reagan

They say the 70-200 vr2 is really only 135 when you use it up close
I read that somewhere but I could be wrong. I have been known to have been wrong before

Reagan

huddy
Total Posts: 1826

leighton w wrote:
Alan - Good to see you drop by, I take it "Sadie" Is the one on the way?

That's right Leighton.

Monty, I'm surprised to see you letting it almost all go. I hope you end up keeping the 85 too. That lens was a perfect match for you. Those rebates are huge. I'd actually been considering selling an AF lens, but the used market prices just took too much of a hit so I'll be holding onto them for now.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1520

Oosty wrote:
The more I use the 28-45 4.5 the more I like this lens. Some more examples from the West Coast

My copy of the 28-45mm is very sharp on the D800 with very unique look. Your photos will make me use it more. The lens is light compared to the 25-50mm and it is the best built zoom ever.

nikon nikkor 28-45mm 4.5 25-50mm by Rafael CA, on Flickr

leighton w
Total Posts: 9607

Reagan wrote:
I saw the rebates this morning. Still more money than I want to spend. I will rent one if I need it for vacation
I feel the new Sigma 35 1.4 AF pulling at me but a new carburetor is pulling the other way.When is the next Powerball drawing
I almost bought a 85 1.4 on the B/S but the guy p*ssed me off so I told him to forget it. Just as well I would have sold it next month

Reagan

I know what you mean about the Sigma, I MUST resist.

saph
Total Posts: 2444

Not that crazy, for street/photojournalimistic type of shots that I believe Monty enjoys, that's a sweet lens.

Kind of like the 85 1.4 and the 180 rolled into one, but then I am going on a tangent about a single zoom vs. carrying multiple lenses.

I had the 70-300VR for that zoom convenience for several years, but then it never had the kind of image quality that the 70-200 VR does.

montym wrote:
Zichar wrote:

THe AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Ya, I'm crazy....

pburke
Total Posts: 2131

montym wrote:
Have you seen the latest rebates

rebates here

yeah, but no rebate on the 14-24mm I'll remain an eternal refurb/used buyer, I guess.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Great shot Monty. I know your camera club keeps you busy and it sure is fun shooting with other people around. Good luck with your sale

MDoc9523

Georg now that's a door

Peter this is a wonderful shot!

Rafael I love the burrowing owl. Such big eyes on such a small fellow
James Very nice product shot. I saw this one yesterday and meant to comment - beautiful!
Jeff sooooo nice!

Laura what a sharp shot at 1.4 none the less. That 85mm is amazing!

Alan you son is so cute. I am surprised that a company hasn't call to feature him in their advertizing
Kevin that's such a nice flower shot
Paul thanks for the tutorial on the lens mount. Well done
Scott this one is wonderful so sharp!

MDoc9523

montym wrote:

Monty

Monty you have to do what is right for you. Photography is a hobby for me. The manual lenses cured one big problem that I had and that was being in a hurry to "get the shot". The big enjoyment that I have now is what goes into really making a good photo. Manual has caused me to slow down and as a result I have more fun with photography than I did shooting auto focus. Sure I miss shots I wish I had gotten and perhaps with a auto focus lens I may have gotten it........but I have a lot more satisfaction when I nail a BIF. Sorta like I did it all myself. lol

I am so sorry that you don't feel a part of the thread because I think you are a BIG part. I'll still see you on Facebook and comment from time to time on your photos

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1520

Well, to mark the passing of Monty into easy focus and composition, I will take us all the way back to the start of Nikon SLRs and Nikkor lenses. This is the 5cm 1:2 S, not the H or HC, the very first 50mm for Nikon SLR camera back to 1960 or so, there is a fantastic review of it at the link below with a link to a test where you can see it is as sharp as the 50mm 1.8 AFS wide open in the center, the center peaks at 5.6, and the frame gets evenly sharp at 8.0. I bought it for two reasons, just because I can ($70), and to get a special look in my photos, will be using it wide open.

The scale is in feet only, makes it a US model with a valid warranty.
Check this link if interested:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/28/nikkor-s-5cm-12-lens-review.aspx/

Here is the lens on a D3, don't plan to use it on the D800, no point to it. The lens diameter at the aperture ring is small, it fits below the ai tab in my cameras without touching it. More exactly the only part that touches is the hook; instead of removing the hook I mount the lens fully open, which causes the ai tab to engage the hook. The camera believes the fully open lens is set at f/11 not f/2. But I dial in -3.0 compensation and get perfect exposures. Mounted like this the camera tab does not allow the lens to close further than f/8, which is fine by me.
IF YOU TRY THIS, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AS ALL LENSES AND CAMERAS ARE DIFFERENT, THIS ONE JUST HAPPENS TO WORK FINE ON MINE. My 20mm 3.5 UD non-ai works in the same manner by the way, but my non-ai 24mm 2.8, 20cm, 50mm 1.4 S, and 5.8cm will not mount.

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Taken with D200 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5cm f 2 S D3 Taken with D200 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Taken with D200 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And here is the look I was looking for, could probably get similar results with another 50mm, but this one gets me in the mood.
All shots at F/2.0.

Fist Roberta my old english, whose pictures I never post because she will not stay still. (AF anyone?)

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Roberta old english sheepdog by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A ceremonial barn, we don't have real ones any more, it is properly labeled a "Barn, Circa 1904" for locals to learn what it is.

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Barn Windmill by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The ceremonial wagon works, wainwright, and blacksmith next door,

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 Winwright Ironworks by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And the Grape Day Park lazy afternoon mood, enhanced by the 5cm and Nik

nikon nikkor 5cm 2 S D3 grape day park afternoon by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Zichar
Total Posts: 3584

Moments ago, chilling with her beagle boyfriend

not so spicy (CKC_9231) by Zichar, on Flickr

1       2       3              2580      
       2582              4376       4377       end