Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2572

1       2       3              2572      
2573
       2574              5887       5888       end

mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. As we've learned in trying to piece together the story about the lost lens hood, with time memory fades. I say that because there have been so many great photos taken with Nikki over the last ten months that it can only be memory lapse that says my photos are particularly noteworthy. We're all pretty fine photographers here and I've certainly been impressed with what I've seen. And, it certainly is a pleasure to use a lens that has been in the hands of members of this cyber community. We've all done remarkably well with this adventure. I'm honored to be the last one using this fine lens before it heads back to its rightful owner.

Here are a few random shots that haven't made it to the thread, all taken with Nikki.


This is how they make fences at Green Gulch Zen Center...


I love this kind of shot! You're doing fine work with Nikki.


+1 Curtis. Fantastic work with Nikki.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Well it snowed another 5 inches yesterday, I'm getting a little tired of Winter. It just makes chores a little harder. The Chickens definitely don't like snow, you have to go shovel a patio every time before they even come out to eat! All shot with the 28mm f2.8.



Leighton, nice series. I like the last with the 28 2.8.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

Zichar wrote:
Night-time outing with Anton
Getting way too old for this ... on a work day no less

45 PCE, full tilt and shift



monday night lights (25032013MarinaBaySands01) by Zichar, on Flickr



Nice time exposure Chin. Very sharp and nice colors.


kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4678
Country: United States

Technically they are within exposure overall but as an example, In the first photo the leaves are perfect but the rose is way hot. Since the rose is the subject try using spot metering on the top petal. In your photo you have lost a lot of the detail in the petals and this is the the part of the photo you want perfect.Luckily the detail is still there, just lower exposure by two stops and see what you think?

What Ray said... spot metering can help a great deal when doing work like this but remember, that with these lenses, spot metering will only work when you are using the center focusing point. It says so in the book...


Bigger hmm... The first one is a pale pink flower (not a rose I don't think) with white inside. I either use spot or center metering all the time, never matrix. I also only use the center focusing point and I meter my subject, lock exposure, recompose and take the shot. I confuzzled with these... I know the sun was not ideal (about 10am, shining right on them both, the tree and blossom) but this is odd. White balance was set for 6600k (since I was outside and it was quite bright). Histogram was all in the center...

Do you think there may be something amiss with the meter in-camera? Any ideas what may be causing this?



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Kevin there is nothing wrong with your camera. It's metering for the overall scene. Bring up the photo in ViewNX2 right click and select "show lost highlights" You will see that the flower is completely red. That means you have lost the detail in those areas. In the histogram the flower petals are the red peek at the right. By lowering exposure a couple of stops you can bring those details back. Flowers in direct sunlight are a challenge and you want to try and keep as much detail in your subject as you possibly can. Curtis is a master at this, I know because I have studied his photos in order to improve my own photos



rankamateur
Registered: Nov 25, 2007
Total Posts: 877
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Kevin there is nothing wrong with your camera. It's metering for the overall scene. Bring up the photo in ViewNX2 right click and select "show lost highlights" You will see that the flower is completely red. That means you have lost the detail in those areas. By lowering exposure a couple of stops you can bring those details back. Flowers in direct sunlight are a challenge and you want to try and keep as much detail in your subject as you possibly can. Curtis is a master at this, I know because I have studied his photos in order to improve my own photos


+100 - perfect explanation and happens all the time with flowers and other stuff



jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 8403
Country: United States

rankamateur wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Kevin there is nothing wrong with your camera. It's metering for the overall scene. Bring up the photo in ViewNX2 right click and select "show lost highlights" You will see that the flower is completely red. That means you have lost the detail in those areas. By lowering exposure a couple of stops you can bring those details back. Flowers in direct sunlight are a challenge and you want to try and keep as much detail in your subject as you possibly can. Curtis is a master at this, I know because I have studied his photos in order to improve my own photos


+100 - perfect explanation and happens all the time with flowers and other stuff


Yep - very nice explanation. For me especially reds get blown very easy and then it's tough to get something nice looking in post. Bright pink has done me in a couple of times . . . . . I have to watch the color histogram quite closely if there is a lot of red in the scene that matters.



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 9308
Country: United States

+1

mp356 wrote:
pburke wrote:
Some morning blend stacking:

setup just like the strawberry image above, but with Nikkor Q 135mm f2.8, and all my K1 through K5 tubes. I should have incremented the stack even slower, since there are some fuzzy beans in the pile. Vignette was added in post - the lens was just fine at the edges, but it looks better this way.







I used up some of those while processing the above images


I like the detail and richness in this one.



Goran, looks like a healthy bouncing baby boy for sure, and you definitely caught the love going on in those photos. Welcome!

GoranPhoto wrote:
A couple with the 105 2.5



Love that term,

rafaelcasd wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
huddy wrote:

Curtis, your work with Nikki is stunning, probably some of the best of the entire trip. Did her hood ever turn up?

+1000

Curtis has definitely been one-upping all of us former Nikki users . . .


Curtis has gone FriscoNikkilisticExpialidosus.




Lovely shots, Leighton, and I hate to tell you, but it's still snowing here, so you'll probably have more tomorrow.

leighton w wrote:
Well it snowed another 5 inches yesterday, I'm getting a little tired of Winter. It just makes chores a little harder. The Chickens definitely don't like snow, you have to go shovel a patio every time before they even come out to eat! All shot with the 28mm f2.8.







MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
rankamateur wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Kevin there is nothing wrong with your camera. It's metering for the overall scene. Bring up the photo in ViewNX2 right click and select "show lost highlights" You will see that the flower is completely red. That means you have lost the detail in those areas. By lowering exposure a couple of stops you can bring those details back. Flowers in direct sunlight are a challenge and you want to try and keep as much detail in your subject as you possibly can. Curtis is a master at this, I know because I have studied his photos in order to improve my own photos


+100 - perfect explanation and happens all the time with flowers and other stuff


Yep - very nice explanation. For me especially reds get blown very easy and then it's tough to get something nice looking in post. Bright pink has done me in a couple of times . . . . . I have to watch the color histogram quite closely if there is a lot of red in the scene that matters.


Thank you, Reds are particularly hard on a Nikon camera for some reason. That's the one thing that I found better on my Canon cameras. They did handle the reds much better.



designdog
Registered: Oct 05, 2004
Total Posts: 227
Country: United States

Nice shots, Leighton. Unbelievably, it snowed here in Richmond yesterday as well. Unlike you, I have no rolling vistas to contemplate, but some fairly large grounds, a variety of trees and plants, and a private lake (with fish.) Sadly, my local photographs started looking all the same about ten years ago! New dogs, new cars, older people.

But, its all good. Soon the warmer weather will come, and the 2013 golf season will begin (for me, at least.) Here is yesterday's snow with some help from VSCO and Neopan 1600...



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 9308
Country: United States

Since I really want to go out and play in the snow, but still have "the shoe", I played with some stuff around the house instead of doing homework . I think I needed the mind vacation.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Love that last shot Laura!



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Flowers are all in bloom here in Florida.





leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States


NightOwl Cat wrote:
Lovely shots, Leighton, and I hate to tell you, but it's still snowing here, so you'll probably have more tomorrow.


Thanks Laura, and it's still snowing here as well. If you look on radar, you can see the low spinning and we are getting the wrap around.

I LOVE your indoor shots! Hope you get the boot off soon.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States

designdog wrote:
Nice shots, Leighton. Unbelievably, it snowed here in Richmond yesterday as well. Unlike you, I have no rolling vistas to contemplate, but some fairly large grounds, a variety of trees and plants, and a private lake (with fish.) Sadly, my local photographs started looking all the same about ten years ago! New dogs, new cars, older people.

But, its all good. Soon the warmer weather will come, and the 2013 golf season will begin (for me, at least.) Here is yesterday's snow with some help from VSCO and Neopan 1600...

Thanks. I can't believe you guys got snow too.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Flowers are all in bloom here in Florida.




Love this one Ray. And you're right about reds with Nikon cameras. My D70 was awful about that.



raboof
Registered: Mar 04, 2011
Total Posts: 2094
Country: United States

Awesome images all. I've been busy but did not miss a page since my last post

I did not have to sell 180mm f2.8 ED AIS and the 300mm f4.5 ED-IF!!!
I am glad that a few of us got the fever and picked some up.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Thank you Leighton
Chuong looks like your sale went well and I am glad you got to keep those two lenses. They are gems!



Ronny Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 5059
Country: Sweden

Great Shot Ray and Leighton



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Leighton
Chuong looks like your sale went well and I am glad you got to keep those two lenses. They are gems!

+1 me too.



1       2       3              2572      
2573
       2574              5887       5888       end