Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2570

1       2       3              2570      
       2572              4434       4435       end

Reagan
Total Posts: 3205

leighton w wrote:
Y'all may be seeing more of me in the next few weeks as I'll be in a special boot trying to recover from Achilles Tendonitis. So if I become a nuisance, just tell me!

Must be a heavy week of work on the farm so your going to let Barbara do it all

Reagan

leighton w
Total Posts: 9778

Reagan wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Y'all may be seeing more of me in the next few weeks as I'll be in a special boot trying to recover from Achilles Tendonitis. So if I become a nuisance, just tell me!

Must be a heavy week of work on the farm so your going to let Barbara do it all

Reagan

Shhhh...don't tell her!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13628

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Actually, there was some sort of site wide server software crash that brought down that thread, causing them to have to restart it. This thread is rapidly catching up to the sequel thread, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one surpass it this year (no matter how much you guys poo-poo the possibility).

Now what would be really special is if we could find a way to meet up every so often as those guys do for airshows and such.

CGrindahl wrote:
Foto Dude wrote:
is there a better way to organize this threat? this threat has over 2.5k of posts.

We were thinking about creating a Wiki but FM offers too many niceties that would be lost if we launched our own venture. On FM you can not only talk about these lenses you can buy and sell them... You also can wander over the Macro World forum and post shots with extension tubes and run into the same crowd. I'm afraid we'll just keep adding pages until Fred tells us he's had enough... Then we'll start all over again as the Mustang Air to Air chaps have done elsewhere on FM. They're the all time posting champs, but then they've been at it much longer than we have...

Out of curiosity I checked the posting rates for the two thread. The Mustang Air to Air at 71,176 posts since December 29, 2007 has been adding posts at the rate of 47.04. This thread at 51,400 since August 22, 2010 has been adding posts at the rate of 58.74. But unlike the Mustang Air to Air which had had a long life before the second thread began, we started from scratch and had a very slow first year as folks were slowly discovering we were here. Over the last 10,000 posts contributed to this thread, we have been adding them at the rate of 96.15 per day. It is little wonder folks shake their heads at how fast this thread moves... That is five pages a day.

We'll never catch that excellent thread, which doesn't matter under any circumstance. And you're right, Laura, we have no natural occasion for getting together, which is a shame. Every time I've met with someone from this thread I've enjoyed the experience immensely. I've encountered the twinkle in Reagan's eye, the warm smile on Ray's face, the good humor of Rinie who likes beer almost as much as Leighton and I do. Rinie hosted a group of participants on the TrekEarth photography website which attracted folks from around Europe and from South America. That was before I'd made my journey to Rotterdam and at the time the cost of joining my friends seemed prohibitive. That, of course, comes with the territory when we have folks scattered around the world. Traveling through cyberspace is so much easier, unless, of course, you own an airplane...

leighton w

Foto Dude wrote:
is there a better way to organize this threat? this threat has over 2.5k of posts.

CGrindahl wrote:
We were thinking about creating a Wiki but FM offers too many niceties that would be lost if we launched our own venture. On FM you can not only talk about these lenses you can buy and sell them... You also can wander over the Macro World forum and post shots with extension tubes and run into the same crowd. I'm afraid we'll just keep adding pages until Fred tells us he's had enough... Then we'll start all over again as the Mustang Air to Air chaps have done elsewhere on FM. They're the all time posting champs, but then they've been at it much longer than we have...

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Actually, there was some sort of site wide server software crash that brought down that thread, causing them to have to restart it. This thread is rapidly catching up to the sequel thread, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one surpass it this year (no matter how much you guys poo-poo the possibility).

Now what would be really special is if we could find a way to meet up every so often as those guys do for airshows and such.

CGrindahl wrote:
Out of curiosity I checked the posting rates for the two thread. The Mustang Air to Air at 71,176 posts since December 29, 2007 has been adding posts at the rate of 47.04. This thread at 51,400 since August 22, 2010 has been adding posts at the rate of 58.74. But unlike the Mustang Air to Air which had had a long life before the second thread began, we started from scratch and had a very slow first year as folks were slowly discovering we were here. Over the last 10,000 posts contributed to this thread, we have been adding them at the rate of 96.15 per day. It is little wonder folks shake their heads at how fast this thread moves... That is five pages a day.

We'll never catch that excellent thread, which doesn't matter under any circumstance. And you're right, Laura, we have no natural occasion for getting together, which is a shame. Every time I've met with someone from this thread I've enjoyed the experience immensely. I've encountered the twinkle in Reagan's eye, the warm smile on Ray's face, the good humor of Rinie who likes beer almost as much as Leighton and I do. Rinie hosted a group of participants on the TrekEarth photography website which attracted folks from around Europe and from South America. That was before I'd made my journey to Rotterdam and at the time the cost of joining my friends seemed prohibitive. That, of course, comes with the territory when we have folks scattered around the world. Traveling through cyberspace is so much easier, unless, of course, you own an airplane...

WOW! Sure are a lot of blabbermouths on here. Wonder who they are.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13628

We've already determined Leighton that you are accumulating posts faster than anyone else on this thread, so no contest. And now that you're convalescing I expect that number will grow even faster. Of course, that is a good thing my friend.

When I twisted my ankle playing softball when I was fifteen, and was put on crutches, I ignored doctor's orders because having been let out of class early I carried the crutches and walked quickly to my girl friend's room and walked her to class before heading to mine. Sadly, what seemed so simple proved not to be, since I've had lifelong tendinitis in my right ankle and pretty constant low level pain. Take good care and FOLLOW your doctor's instructions Leighton.

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
We've already determined Leighton that you are accumulating posts faster than anyone else on this thread, so no contest. And now that you're convalescing I expect that number will grow even faster. Of course, that is a good thing my friend.

When I twisted my ankle playing softball when I was fifteen, and was put on crutches, I ignored doctor's orders because having been let out of class early I carried the crutches and walked quickly to my girl friend's room and walked her to class before heading to mine. Sadly, what seemed so simple proved not to be, since I've had lifelong tendinitis in my right ankle and pretty constant low level pain. Take good care and FOLLOW your doctor's instructions Leighton.

Yea I know, guilty as charged.

I told the doctor I only had a couple of weeks for this setup, so if it's not better by then, I'll have to live with it. The xrays showed a bone spur on the back of the bone and he said if it got worse he could do surgery. THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Around here, if you don't work, you don't eat!

MarkdV
Total Posts: 773

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

I told the doctor I only had a couple of weeks for this setup, so if it's not better by then, I'll have to live with it. The xrays showed a bone spur on the back of the bone and he said if it got worse he could do surgery. THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Around here, if you don't work, you don't eat!

Having read the ratio of lamb feeding Barbara has done to yours (137:1) I think that Barbara's next meal is safe. I can only assume you've had some dreadfully unpleasant task to do in return.

saph
Total Posts: 2494

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

What work? Oh you mean taking pictures and chatting away here while Barbara toils away?

j/k Leighton, all the best in a quick recovery and staying away from surgery!

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:

leighton w wrote:

MarkdV wrote:
Having read the ratio of lamb feeding Barbara has done to yours (137:1) I think that Barbara's next meal is safe. I can only assume you've had some dreadfully unpleasant task to do in return.

Barbara gets to do the fun stuff!

leighton w

saph wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

What work? Oh you mean taking pictures and chatting away here while Barbara toils away?

j/k Leighton, all the best in a quick recovery and staying away from surgery!

It's almost like I'm on vacation!

michaelwatkins
Total Posts: 1703

I'm looking for a lens somewhere around the 20mm focal length (no wider than 18, no narrower than 24. 20 or 21mm would be ideal) for use on my D800. It would mostly get used for distant (cityscapes, landscapes) use handheld and on a tripod, but also for documentary work closer in, grabbing some of the environment along with subjects, sometimes deliberately working with distorted perspectives. If I had a choice between two lenses with different characteristics I'd probably pick the one that delivered the best results out toward infinity stopped down some, for landscape use -- on a D800 -- and would live with whatever it delivered up close.

It'd also be nice if it had good contrast in flare provoking situations or at minimum didn't tend to produce ghosts. Contrast reducing flare with the sun just in or out of the frame I can use but ghosts if they are avoidable I'd like to avoid. It'd be also really nice if it didn't suffer from coma badly or at least coma isn't an issue if stopped down for night shooting on a tripod.

Does such a beast exist in the Nikkor line up or from alternative suppliers of manual focus lenses?

mp356
Total Posts: 4448

leighton w wrote:
Foto Dude wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

NightOwl Cat wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

Curtis, with Leighton laid up we will surpass the Mustang thread in no time! Get well Leighton.

leighton w

michaelwatkins wrote:
I'm looking for a lens somewhere around the 20mm focal length (no wider than 18, no narrower than 24. 20 or 21mm would be ideal) for use on my D800. It would mostly get used for distant (cityscapes, landscapes) use handheld and on a tripod, but also for documentary work closer in, grabbing some of the environment along with subjects, sometimes deliberately working with distorted perspectives. If I had a choice between two lenses with different characteristics I'd probably pick the one that delivered the best results out toward infinity stopped down some, for landscape use -- on a D800 -- and would live with whatever it delivered up close.

It'd also be nice if it had good contrast in flare provoking situations or at minimum didn't tend to produce ghosts. Contrast reducing flare with the sun just in or out of the frame I can use but ghosts if they are avoidable I'd like to avoid. It'd be also really nice if it didn't suffer from coma badly or at least coma isn't an issue if stopped down for night shooting on a tripod.

Does such a beast exist in the Nikkor line up or from alternative suppliers of manual focus lenses?

Judging by your wants/needs I would have to suggest the 20mm f2.8 AI-s as this seems to be the best at distance. The f4 version is well regarded as well. This may help you too. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

leighton w

Foto Dude wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

NightOwl Cat wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

leighton w wrote:

mp356 wrote:
Curtis, with Leighton laid up we will surpass the Mustang thread in no time! Get well Leighton.

Gee, thanks Scott!

mp356

Ray, thank you for the comment on the snow scenes.

Samy, I like the airplane images. The small yellow plane looks like a T-6?

Mark, very nice ice and snow images.

Ben, nice Freelines. Summer seems so far away.

Reagan, nice flower image.

mp356

Inspired by some terrific window reflection images posted on this thread by Ben, Philippe, and others, I entered this image in the WA thread. Taken with the 28-50 3.5 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

rankamateur
Total Posts: 861

michaelwatkins wrote:

Get yourself a DX format Nikon and mount a 16 3.5 MF Fisheye on it and it will knock your socks off. Extremely resistant to flare and ghosts.

saph
Total Posts: 2494

Michael, one lens to stay away from based on the ghost avoidance requirement would be the 20 3.5UD. My very first look through that lens I saw lots of happy dancing ghosts. Otherwise its a fine lens and of course ghosts work for some people and some scenes.

Samy

leighton w wrote:
michaelwatkins wrote:

Judging by your wants/needs I would have to suggest the 20mm f2.8 AI-s as this seems to be the best at distance. The f4 version is well regarded as well. This may help you too. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

rankamateur wrote:
michaelwatkins wrote:

Get yourself a DX format Nikon and mount a 16 3.5 MF Fisheye on it and it will knock your socks off. Extremely resistant to flare and ghosts.

Got that right! It is not the same on FX

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

mp356 wrote:
Inspired by some terrific window reflection images posted on this thread by Ben, Philippe, and others, I entered this image in the WA thread. Taken with the 28-50 3.5 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

excellent stuff Scott!

1       2       3              2570      
       2572              4434       4435       end