Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2569

1       2       3              2569      
       2571              4369       4370       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13320

Foto Dude wrote:
is there a better way to organize this threat? this threat has over 2.5k of posts.

We were thinking about creating a Wiki but FM offers too many niceties that would be lost if we launched our own venture. On FM you can not only talk about these lenses you can buy and sell them... You also can wander over the Macro World forum and post shots with extension tubes and run into the same crowd. I'm afraid we'll just keep adding pages until Fred tells us he's had enough... Then we'll start all over again as the Mustang Air to Air chaps have done elsewhere on FM. They're the all time posting champs, but then they've been at it much longer than we have...

MarkdV
Total Posts: 767

Georg, Great shot from the 135mmm.
Ray, outstanding of the owls and eagles.
Americo, your #5 shot makes me think of something out of a ghost story.
Samy, interesting pics from the air museum. Great to learn something while enjoying your work with the old classic 35mm. I hope you finally got a flight to your destination.
Ronny, I echo what has already been said about your lovely shot with the standing out pink jacket by the sea side.

MarkdV

Maybe he's from the Mustang air-to-air thread and they see us as a threat to their #1 status.

saph wrote:
Wait, did the foto dude from VA really say "threat" I am sure he meant thread!

Reagan wrote:
Foto Dude wrote:
is there a better way to organize this threat? this threat has over 2.5k of posts.

I thought we were organized

Reagan

Foto Dude
Total Posts: 51

MDoc9523 wrote:
Foto Dude wrote:

This thread is almost a living, breathing entity and it evolves day by day as the participants learn and explore the world of Nikon Manual Focus lenses. It can't be done any other way here, although I wish it had its own search engine. Jump on the wagon, grab one of these lenses with a Nikon camera and help us Foto Dude!

I have a nikkor 50mm 1.2 on an nex-5n, and would like to do two things.

1 - see what others have done with their manual lens
2 - contribute myself

but wow
1 - reading through 2.5k+ of posts is just not possible.
2 - adding another post with my image to make this thread even longer seem to make the problem worse.

I was thinking if you guys could
1 - allow super long threads to have sub-category
2 - since this thread has many mini discussion, maybe there's a way to define a start and end of a discussion. that way if a discussion is not interesting, your reader can jump right to the next discussion.
3 - give your reader the ability to search within a specific thread
4 - or something to make it easier to organize and read long thread such as this one.

just my $.02, or we could just scroll to infinity

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

does everyone celebrate Valentine's Day ? me - I rode the freelines and payed with the 24mm PCE.

ben

no chocolates, no flowers, no cards by benmorgan28, on Flickr

freelines on Valentines by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Reagan
Total Posts: 3106

2 with the 50 1.8 and the TC14a
for a 70mm 2.5
I have a 50 1.4 SC on the way

Reagan

MarkdV

I promised the other day (Promised / threatened / warned) that I would post some using my up-to-recently neglected 105mm that has been overshadowed while I play with the 180.

However using the 180 on my son out with the sled wasn't working well so I went with the wider angle lens to give me a little more wriggle room and remembered why I loved this lens when I first got it. Especially the last pic where it gives a magnificent fall-off in the background of the kids walking home after a day on the hill.

Hope you enjoy.

Best regards,
Mark.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9584

Foto Dude wrote:
I have a nikkor 50mm 1.2 on an nex-5n, and would like to do two things.

1 - see what others have done with their manual lens
2 - contribute myself

but wow
1 - reading through 2.5k+ of posts is just not possible.
2 - adding another post with my image to make this thread even longer seem to make the problem worse.

I was thinking if you guys could
1 - allow super long threads to have sub-category
2 - since this thread has many mini discussion, maybe there's a way to define a start and end of a discussion. that way if a discussion is not interesting, your reader can jump right to the next discussion.
3 - give your reader the ability to search within a specific thread
4 - or something to make it easier to organize and read long thread such as this one.

just my $.02, or we could just scroll to infinity

In answer to your first question: Sense this thread is dedicated to shooting Nikon MF lenses ONLY on Nikon cameras then you may have a better response to how others use them on the Alternative Gear and Lens forum. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

We'd love to have you contribute if you use your D700 I see in your profile. As far as making any changes to this thread, well that's out of our hands since it's a privately owned site. Fred would have to make it happen. We've longed for an easy search ability in each thread, but it hasn't happened yet. You never know, one of these days it may. In the mean time....

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
I took a trip to Honeymoon Island today to do some shooting with my 300mm 4.5 EDIF with the TC-14a. Before the rains came I was treated to my favorite honeymoon couple the Great Horned Owls. They have two new babies again this year. I was lucky enough a few years ago to get photos of them mating and seems as though they are still busy in that regard. There were many photogs there including a few of those Canon people

All nice Ray, but I like this one the best. Just keep that thing away from my chickens!

leighton w

bruni wrote:
does everyone celebrate Valentine's Day ? me - I rode the freelines and payed with the 24mm PCE.

ben

no chocolates, no flowers, no cards by benmorgan28, on Flickr

freelines on Valentines by benmorgan28, on Flickr

I'm going to assume since we never see a photo of you riding these things, that you must just fall off all the time and then take a snap!

leighton w

Reagan wrote:
2 with the 50 1.8 and the TC14a
for a 70mm 2.5
I have a 50 1.4 SC on the way

Reagan

Beautiful shot Reagan. I guess you don't have any money left buying all this gear to put gas in your poor old Chevelle. The poor thing, maybe it needs to visit uncle Leighton for a while.

leighton w

MarkdV wrote:
I promised the other day (Promised / threatened / warned) that I would post some using my up-to-recently neglected 105mm that has been overshadowed while I play with the 180.

However using the 180 on my son out with the sled wasn't working well so I went with the wider angle lens to give me a little more wriggle room and remembered why I loved this lens when I first got it. Especially the last pic where it gives a magnificent fall-off in the background of the kids walking home after a day on the hill.

Hope you enjoy.

Best regards,
Mark.

Very nice set Mark, I love the first and third ones. You're making me want to break out my 180.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7841

Actually, there was some sort of site wide server software crash that brought down that thread, causing them to have to restart it. This thread is rapidly catching up to the sequel thread, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one surpass it this year (no matter how much you guys poo-poo the possibility).

Now what would be really special is if we could find a way to meet up every so often as those guys do for airshows and such.

CGrindahl wrote:
Foto Dude wrote:

We were thinking about creating a Wiki but FM offers too many niceties that would be lost if we launched our own venture. On FM you can not only talk about these lenses you can buy and sell them... You also can wander over the Macro World forum and post shots with extension tubes and run into the same crowd. I'm afraid we'll just keep adding pages until Fred tells us he's had enough... Then we'll start all over again as the Mustang Air to Air chaps have done elsewhere on FM. They're the all time posting champs, but then they've been at it much longer than we have...

raboof
Total Posts: 1534

jhinkey wrote:
Well, I think there are ways to improve the viewing of threads:
- Condensed views showing many entries per page with smaller thumbnails of images so that you can quickly scan for images of interest instead of having to go through many many pages and full resolution images to find something
- Ability to search a specific thread for all entries by a specific person
- Ability to specify a range of dates to search over
- etc., etc.

I think these are all valid. I once asked to have the ability to search the thread. Laura gave me a list of Google methods. Going back to her post is painful. I think we might need to have a small section on the first post to list some of these tips for searching the thread...for now.

MarkdV

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Now what would be really special is if we could find a way to meet up every so often as those guys do for airshows and such.

That would be great.
We'd need somewhere with Birds for Jose, Fast cars for Reagan, flowers for Curtis and his tubes, amazing landscapes for John, stunning churches for Mihai, lots of cats and dogs for various people (Monty would have to bring Rocky and the partical of course) and a flat space for Ben to prove to everyone at last he can actually ride those freelines (and everyone else can give them a try).
Oh yes, Philippe can bring some good French cognacs for a tasting session.
I'd suggest we all go visit Peter in SA. Or maybe Dean in HK and then onto Chin in Singapore.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 860

CGrindahl wrote:
Foto Dude wrote:

I think it is a blessing that this thread has been allowed to continue unscathed. It has to be taking up literally gobs of server space. No one can say it isn't one of the nicest most pleasant discussions on FM. Curtis you just need to have a board of directors meeting now and then. Oh wait that's right you can't. The vice president is off somewhere playing with that lazy mans motorized 24-70 lens he bought.

leighton w

MarkdV wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

That would be great.
We'd need somewhere with Birds for Jose, Fast cars for Reagan, flowers for Curtis and his tubes, amazing landscapes for John, stunning churches for Mihai, lots of cats and dogs for various people (Monty would have to bring Rocky and the partical of course) and a flat space for Ben to prove to everyone at last he can actually ride those freelines (and everyone else can give them a try).
Oh yes, Philippe can bring some good French cognacs for a tasting session.
I'd suggest we all go visit Peter in SA. Or maybe Dean in HK and then onto Chin in Singapore.

If all of this can be on my farm then let's go for it!

leighton w

Y'all may be seeing more of me in the next few weeks as I'll be in a special boot trying to recover from Achilles Tendonitis. So if I become a nuisance, just tell me!

georgms
Total Posts: 3487

leighton w wrote:
Y'all may be seeing more of me in the next few weeks as I'll be in a special boot trying to recover from Achilles Tendonitis. So if I become a nuisance, just tell me!

Are you talking about more self-portraits?

Just joking - I hope you'll recover soon.

leighton w

georgms wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Are you talking about more self-portraits?

Just joking - I hope you'll recover soon.

Heck no, y'all don't need to see anymore of my ugly mug!

1       2       3              2569      
       2571              4369       4370       end