/forum/topic/929565/2568

1       2       3              2568      
       2570              5888       5889       end

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5063

Great shot Samy

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Ronny, you are going to make me go looking for the TC-200 after seeing your 135 f2 + TC shots

Curtis, very nice memories from my last trip there of being on Golden Gate bridge and looking through those viewfinders And thanks for the geology lesson.

Ray (OH), super basketball action shots, very bright, clear and sharp.

Roberto, that is one well cared for lens. Looks very promising, hope to see more from it and your part of the world.

Peter, loved the reflection patterns with the reflex lens. Hope you get your Internet speed back.

Jeff, the curly cactus is a very pleasing photo to look at.

Jose, I see you have a Flicker account, will need to go look through all your Pompeii/Vesuvius pictures at leisure, they fly by here too fast. But keep them coming here though, each is very enjoyable.

John, beautiful patterns and colors in the water!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Love that shot Samy. But no wonder... taken with the lens John is longing for, the 500 f/4 AI-P, which is surely one of Nikon's great lenses. Awesome work in diminished light.

John, how CAN you resist this lens?

CGrindahl

Ben - The Golden Gate bridge is a tourist destination like the Sydney Opera House. Frankly, walking across the bridge is not a pleasant experience but there are thousands of tourists doing it most weekends. It is loud and smelly from passing cars. It can also be very cold with breezes and occasionally fog passing through the Golden Gate.

Here is a closer crop of that shot down the middle of the bridge.

Bicycles only on the right, pedestrians only on the left.

And, what do you make of the fact that for the life of me I can't find your mailing address Inquiring minds want to know...

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Ronny the shots with the tc are amazing
Samy wonderful shot. I am so glad the bird waited for you!
Ray great work on the basketball shots.

CGrindahl

I almost overlooked this sweet shot of the Golden Gate bridge taken with Nikki...

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9314

Monty, I think that's fate's way of saying you need to Manual Focus a bit more, as well as the Auto Focus Going by my dad's records, he bought his Nikon F and 50mm f/2 for $244.88 in 1967. Wonder how much that translates to now. Go have some fun with the new gear

montym wrote:
An old friend stopped over this afternoon. Somehow he was given a camera bag with a bunch of gear. He passed it on to me. The only thing that caught my eye was a 50mm f/1.4 Nikon lens. Looks like it is an oldie, from http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

50/1.4 S Auto NKJ LMIJ 5- 5 screws, wider focus ring, Ai kit 7 532011 532070 - 635350 103340 Jan 67 - 1968

It's not an Ai but it is in kinda nice shape. THe rear glass is filthy. THe front glass looks good. I don't see any internal mold or dust.

The most interesting things are the filter and the lens cap. The lens cap has metal "plungers" THe filter mas a METAL ring. I have never seen either... THe filter, other than being VERY dirty, looks ok.

I don't know what I'll do with it. Just thought I share my find.

Monty

CGrindahl

More Golden Gate bridge photographers... with Nikki.

I'm afraid we are a dying breed...

Amazingly how many photographers with DSLR cameras were using the LCD on the back of the camera rather than peering through the viewfinder. MF lenses? Whoa... not any of those on the scene apart from Nikki, who did a great job when mounted on my D700.

NightOwl Cat

Jose, yes, I do have a TC-301 here... should be fun experimenting putting that all together and sitting on the side of the highway, and aiming it towards a bald eagle's nest Maybe next weekend when there's a chance of some sun?

asiostygius wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Thanks Jose. I've not made it to anything longer than 400, yet I bet that 800 of yours is a real beastie!

asiostygius wrote:
Wow Mark, terrific panos, beuatiful scenarios.

Laura, congrats on your new lens (gun)!

I think if you have any of the TCs it is worth to experiment:

TC14B or mod TC14E = 420/4;
TC16A = 480/4.5;
mod TC17E = 510/4.8;
TC301 or mod TC20EIII = 600/5.6

Combined with your V1 you will get a truly heavy artillery

NightOwl Cat

Oh Ron, so sorry. I'd have gaffer-taped the ugly or lenscoated it .

rankamateur wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Thanks Jose. I've not made it to anything longer than 400, yet I bet that 800 of yours is a real beastie!

asiostygius wrote:
Wow Mark, terrific panos, beuatiful scenarios.

Laura, congrats on your new lens (gun)!

Laura the sharpest lens I have ever owned was the 300. Bought one at a pawn shop and it was beat all to living he**. Despite its cosmetic shortcomings, a major blob of something in the middle of the 2nd element you could darn near cut glass with the photos it took. It came with a Tamron 1.4 and 2.0 and even with the 2.0 it still took decent shots. It was so damn ugly I just decided to get rid of it and have been sorry I did.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

rolubich wrote:
Hi all, although it's a lot time I don't post I read you quite regularly: great pictures as usual.

I haven't had much time to photograph during the last months, all I have to show you is a test I'm quite surprised by the image quality produced by this almost 40 years old piece of Nikon history; due to size limit of my hosting web site picture has been resized to D700 resolution (from D600), but the full resolution version is plenty sharp too.

Here is the zoom photographed (@ 50mm, f/16 and MFD) by the poor cousin 28-50mm f/3.5, a lens I like a lot.

2800x4200

Planning to compare it with 25-50mm f/4 and 28-50mm f/3.5.

Roberto

Roberto, I own this lens and the 25-50mm. The 28-45mm is highly competent even at 4.5 but it does not achieve the high resolution magic of the 25-50mm at 8.0. Typically the 28-45mm goes for $100+ on e-bay and the 25-50mm for $300+. I have no experience with the 28-50mm 3.5, it has a good reputation and a smaller size, but I do not like push pull zooms as much as separate ring ones. Here are some web resources that have some reliable info:

http://www.sassmannshausen.eu/25_50.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-50mm.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/15/index.htm

Here is a very good summary: SUBJECTIVE Lens Evaluations (Mostly Nikkors)
DAVID RUETHER
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html
25-50mm f4 4.4 (several samples) vignettes slightly at closest focus at 25mm with a filter; not much range; very sharp at optimum stops (varies with FL); constant aperture with zooming

28-45mm f4.5 3.8 (1) slow; not much range; good but not exceptional sharpness; constant aperture with zooming

28-50mm f3.5 4 (2) sharp, but has field curvature that is especially noticeable at the short end of the zoom range; not much range; constant aperture with zooming

If you go to flickr and search with these tags you will find good sample photos

2550mmf4ais 2550mmf4ai 2845mmf45ai 2850mmf35ais

Here is a pic of my lenses

Looking forward to your own comparisons.

nikon nikkor 28-45mm 4.5 25-50mm by Rafael CA, on Flickr

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8405

CGrindahl wrote:
Love that shot Samy. But no wonder... taken with the lens John is longing for, the 500 f/4 AI-P, which is surely one of Nikon's great lenses. Awesome work in diminished light.

John, how CAN you resist this lens?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Monty, I think that's fate's way of saying you need to Manual Focus a bit more, as well as the Auto Focus Going by my dad's records, he bought his Nikon F and 50mm f/2 for $244.88 in 1967. Wonder how much that translates to now. Go have some fun with the new gear

montym wrote:
An old friend stopped over this afternoon. Somehow he was given a camera bag with a bunch of gear. He passed it on to me. The only thing that caught my eye was a 50mm f/1.4 Nikon lens. Looks like it is an oldie, from http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

50/1.4 S Auto NKJ LMIJ 5- 5 screws, wider focus ring, Ai kit 7 532011 532070 - 635350 103340 Jan 67 - 1968

It's not an Ai but it is in kinda nice shape. THe rear glass is filthy. THe front glass looks good. I don't see any internal mold or dust.

The most interesting things are the filter and the lens cap. The lens cap has metal "plungers" THe filter mas a METAL ring. I have never seen either... THe filter, other than being VERY dirty, looks ok.

Monty

$1661.10

NightOwl Cat

Thanks Dean. Love your street shots, and have to agree, the hair clinic one is the stand out

deang001 wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Yes, there has been some infection going on... I send one lens out, and another one comes in.

Laura, that's a beast !! Congrats.

Ray, great shots with the MF at the basketball game. I'm guessing you weren't down here for First Four though. I really like this capture, the lighting is so moody.

pbraymond wrote:
Thought I'd try my hand with some MF lenses at a BB game...

200mm f4.0 AI or 28 f2.8 AIS with D700

Turns out when you are not absolutely in the thick of the action it's not impossible to use MF with some prefocusing and follow focusing. Also, at that distance the DOF at f4 has some forgiveness, I mainly judged by eye since during action since I did not want to look away from the screen to check the green dot in the viewfinder.

Not as artistic as some of the recent posts from everyone here, but thought I'd share anyway. Something different.

Ray

Curtis, yup, it's a beauty, and surprisingly, it is hand holdable, the one shot of the print on my wall was 1/60th I'm enjoying all your shots with Nikki so far. I don't shoot airplanes all that often

CGrindahl wrote:
Thats a beautiful lens Laura. With your love of shooting airplanes love is always better. And if I'm not mistaken, the TC-201 will work with the lens as well. I've mounted it on the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF and it performed beautifully. Have fun!

I saw it last night also, but didn't make the connection till I saw your shot

jhinkey wrote:
He was very tough to find in the night sky, especially with a nearly full moon coming up, but Meet Mr. PanSTARSS:

Fantastic shot, Peter! Deserves a replay for sure.

Oosty wrote:
Really nice images - too many to comment on since the Seacom cable was broken off Egypt and our internet has slowed to a walk.

However, despite a bit of rain I have this abstract with the 500mm f8 (maybe it will appear - 8 minutes to reach "Photo 1" stage!

That's a sweet deal, John.

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
John, always loving seeing your photos of Puget Sound. Seattle is a very beautiful place. I really think you need that 500 f/4 though...

Thanks Curtis - It was a rare alignment of weather, subjects, and being able to get away from the house for a few hours.
Now that the sunsets are much later in the day I think I can get out more.

PLUS - I've found a new place to set up my gear. A neighbor of a friend of ours has agreed to let me set up my gear anytime essentially in their backyard, which has an undeveloped lower terrace that they don't seem to use. It has a nearly unobstructed view of the Sound. It's also a few hundred feet above the water which helps a lot with turbulence and haze - important considerations when using a long tele at really long distances.

- John

It's been a while since I've mounted my 25-50, and I was using it at the NMUSAF here. Let me see if I can find those shots and repost them.

designdog wrote:
Hello all. Pretty soon I will be in the market to add to my lens collection. I am thinking of either a 35mm, or, my preference, the 25-50 4 ais.

Any thoughts on best option? Seems I saw some shots here from the 25-50, but can't locate them now. My thinking is that lens and the 105 would be a great travel kit, except for the low light options...

, thanks Ray.

MDoc9523 wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

montym wrote:

Monty

$1661.10

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

CGrindahl wrote:
Love the cable car shots Dean. I hope to reciprocate one of these days. At the moment I'm exhausted from a day of shooting with Nikki. I may have to take a vacation...

Thanks, Curtis & thanks Rafael, Leighton, Samy, Jose, Jeff, Ray & Laura for the nice comments.

Curtis - very much looking forward to seeing your SF cable car shots. Maybe some of those hilly roads as well

It's a bit exhausting when Nikki comes to vist, isn't it?

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

CGrindahl wrote:
More Golden Gate bridge photographers... with Nikki.

I'm afraid we are a dying breed...

Amazingly how many photographers with DSLR cameras were using the LCD on the back of the camera rather than peering through the viewfinder. MF lenses? Whoa... not any of those on the scene apart from Nikki, who did a great job when mounted on my D700.

Nice Nikki work, Curtis ... especially like the second one. Cool shot !!

pburke
Total Posts: 3006

Finally got around to making desert for my daughter:

The Recipe:

D600 with 105mm f2.5 AI-S, K1+K2+K5 tubes (vingate Nikon), tripod, Yongnuo RF-602 wireless flash trigger, Canon 540EZ on tripod and old Nikon SB-16 duck-taped to a chair, both with RF-602 receivers, home made diffuser light tent, vanilla yoghurt, straberries, cream, and a piece of dark chocolate.

8 manual exposures @ iso 100, 1/60s f8 focus stacked in Photoshop CS5.1, almost ran out of memory on this old 32-bit XP computer.

100% crop - YUMMIE:

and the full image in case you have a big screen Here

looks tasty for a 30 year old lens with two surplus strobes and a Chinese $50 remote trigger setup.

pburke
Total Posts: 3006

Some morning blend stacking:

setup just like the strawberry image above, but with Nikkor Q 135mm f2.8, and all my K1 through K5 tubes. I should have incremented the stack even slower, since there are some fuzzy beans in the pile. Vignette was added in post - the lens was just fine at the edges, but it looks better this way.

100% bean detail

I used up some of those while processing the above images

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4681

Couple from today. Series E 50mm...

DSC_7077 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_7078 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_7112 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_7108 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

huddy
Total Posts: 1886

Baby Malachi is growing fast, roughly 25 weeks along. Nikki (my wife, not the traveling 85mm lens) as seen by the D700+50/1.2 @f/8 or 11 lit by a Westcott 50" Apollo with a reflector at her back.

1       2       3              2568      
       2570              5888       5889       end