Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2559

1       2       3              2559      
       2561              4188       4189       end

MarkdV
Total Posts: 704

Having had very little time to spend with Camera in hand I have been reduced to grabbing pics when I can while out on other chores but it has only been this weekend that I managed to get any decent pics. I had the 180mm on and I call this series my ode to the 180...

Reagan
Total Posts: 2909

I like the last one best Mark but a 300 would have been better

Reagan

Reagan

designdog wrote:
Hi. Back again.

My D700 has shipped and will arrive tomorrow. Thankfully, it will be a sunny, low assignment day, so I will be able to get out after I charge the battery!

I have the following lenses: 28 2.8ais, 50 1.2ais, 85 2 ai, 105 2.5ais. I was thinking of the 135 2.8ais, but realize that I have absolutely no AF lenses to fit this camera, and no zooms. I got a little better than expected on the sale for my Canon stuff, so I have another $500 or so to play with.

When I go to Lightroom and look back on my 3-4 years with the 7D, more than 90% of my shots were taken with the 17-55 2.8. So I could be looking for a mid range af zoom, or, with the 28 and 50 in mf, a long range zoom to compliment them. Preferably af.

Any suggestions?

Do you have a Name?
As far as a mid range AF goes the 28-105d is nice and inexpensive. It is my only AF lens but it seems I rarely use AF

Reagan

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13028

MarkdV wrote:
...Lastly no more MF lenses for me, number 9 arrived thanks very much to Steven (Stevenvh) who has been very kind with a 85mm that just needs a little love but otherwise looks fab. I look forward to getting it back from the repair shop and giving it a whirl.

Oh wait. I still have a non-CPU lens slot on my D200 spare….

Silly boy... the fact the camera can handle only NINE non-CPU lenses is irrelevant when determining whether to expand your kit... as my kit proves. I thought the same thing until the tenth lens arrived. I quickly learning how easy it is to CHANGE a lens in the register. Trust me, the only thing that limits the number of MF Nikkors one owns is the number available to buy... And, of course, the amount of funds available to support this delightful venture. YMMV... :

CGrindahl

designdog wrote:
Hi. Back again.

My D700 has shipped and will arrive tomorrow. Thankfully, it will be a sunny, low assignment day, so I will be able to get out after I charge the battery!

I have the following lenses: 28 2.8ais, 50 1.2ais, 85 2 ai, 105 2.5ais. I was thinking of the 135 2.8ais, but realize that I have absolutely no AF lenses to fit this camera, and no zooms. I got a little better than expected on the sale for my Canon stuff, so I have another $500 or so to play with.

When I go to Lightroom and look back on my 3-4 years with the 7D, more than 90% of my shots were taken with the 17-55 2.8. So I could be looking for a mid range af zoom, or, with the 28 and 50 in mf, a long range zoom to compliment them. Preferably af.

Any suggestions?

NAME NAME NAME... Please.

You can pick up a sweet copy of a 35-70 f/3.5 AI-s for less that two hundred dollars. If you want an inexpensive AF zoom, you might want to consider the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 or the 28-70 f/3.5-4.5, either of which can be bought for the same amount. The first lens I bought after receiving the D700 was the 28-70 f/2.8 AF-s which is a great lens, but will cost closer to a thousand dollars, in part because its replacement costs ove fifteen hundred.

Happy shooting.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 845

Reagan wrote:

Reagan

I knew some kind of comment was coming. Your toooooo predictable.

Love the shot Mark.

Reagan

I just wanted to see what was in the basket
What are you thinking?

Reagan

sataraid1
Total Posts: 46

MarkdV wrote:
No...this is why. I am so glad you are the 180, just perfect for a snowy day..

I have been rapidly convinced that the 180 f/2.8 EDIF is the best lens I've ever owned. Maybe the best lens ever made. Every time I go 1:1 on a shot I've taken with it, and I see all that detail and all that contrast and those amazing colors, I squeal like a little girl.

My first regret is that I didn't start using one 25 years ago. My second regret is that I didn't know how amazingly simple it was to use one on an EOS camera until about 6 months ago.

CGrindahl

sataraid1 wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
No...this is why. I am so glad you are the 180, just perfect for a snowy day..

I have been rapidly convinced that the 180 f/2.8 EDIF is the best lens I've ever owned. Maybe the best lens ever made. Every time I go 1:1 on a shot I've taken with it, and I see all that detail and all that contrast and those amazing colors, I squeal like a little girl.

My first regret is that I didn't start using one 25 years ago. My second regret is that I didn't know how amazingly simple it was to use one on an EOS camera until about 6 months ago.

Which means you've got a great AF lens mounted on a Canon camera. Enjoy yourself, but remember we're celebrating MANUAL FOCUS Nikon lenses mounted on Nikon cameras. And that is what Mark is enjoying while taking the photos he shared with us. I note you haven't been very active on FM and wanted to make certain you understand what this thread is all about.

Happy shooting. If you decide to post photos with that combination you'd likely find a home on the Alternative Gear forum.

CGrindahl

rankamateur wrote:
Reagan wrote:

Reagan

I knew some kind of comment was coming. Your toooooo predictable.

Love the shot Mark.

Death, taxes and Reagan's wandering eye... the certainties of life...

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Hmmm. Maybe I should get this one (180mm) instead of an AF lens right now...

sataraid1
Total Posts: 46

CGrindahl wrote:
Which means you've got a great AF lens mounted on a Canon camera. Enjoy yourself, but remember we're celebrating MANUAL FOCUS Nikon lenses mounted on Nikon cameras. And that is what Mark is enjoying while taking the photos he shared with us. I note you haven't been very active on FM and wanted to make certain you understand what this thread is all about.

I assure you my 180 2.8 is quite manually focused.

I wouldn't have thought the particulars of the camera body would have mattered in a thread dedicated to the merits of particular lenses. Film, digital, FM2 or 40D, it's all about the glass, right? But okay, I see the door.

georgms
Total Posts: 3353

Mark, nice to hear from you. Great set and ode to the 180!

georgms
Total Posts: 3353

Some pictures taken today:

urnfield for the poor on the communal cemetery - taken with the 16/3.5

cool fella - PC 85/2.8D on a D700

the PC 85/2.8D makes a nice portrait-lens

leighton w
Total Posts: 9199

designdog wrote:
Hi. Back again.

Any suggestions?

CGrindahl wrote:
NAME NAME NAME... Please.

You can pick up a sweet copy of a 35-70 f/3.5 AI-s for less that two hundred dollars. If you want an inexpensive AF zoom, you might want to consider the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 or the 28-70 f/3.5-4.5, either of which can be bought for the same amount. The first lens I bought after receiving the D700 was the 28-70 f/2.8 AF-s which is a great lens, but will cost closer to a thousand dollars, in part because its replacement costs ove fifteen hundred.

Happy shooting.

The 35-70mm f2.8 is supposed to be a good lens too.

leighton w

WOW! Georg, you're killing me with all of these great shots lately!

raboof
Total Posts: 1467

leighton w wrote:
WOW! Georg, you're killing me with all of these great shots lately!

In fact, everyone took it to another level lately. Great shots.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 704

Reagan wrote:

Reagan

Just for you, I know you love these snow shots and wish you were here.

leighton w

Very nice Mark! That 180 is hard to beat!

leighton w

For those of you who may be interested in bottle feeding lambs, here's a video I shot yesterday with the wife's camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KikmGAJeMEQ

We castrated ram lambs a little while ago, but I wasn't able to get a shot of that job.

1       2       3              2559      
       2561              4188       4189       end