Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2552

1       2       3              2552      
       2554              4306       4307       end

kings_freak
Total Posts: 930

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are the results from my Frankenstein 105P. The ultimate spring test F22 vs F2.5 I am thrilled!

Great bokeh! Looks like the lens is a winner.

–Tony

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thanks Tony. I have had the lens for quite a while and it always took great photos, but I hated the chewed up aperture ring. I finally found a replacement on E-bay in a fungus filled lens of the same vintage to salvage the ring for only $31.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7749

Thanks Georg, and yes, it is a very chunky 45. It was one of those deals that was too good to pass up, so I jumped on it quickly.

georgms wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
testing out a new to me lens that I just picked up this morning, not letting myself have too much fun with it at the moment, since I need to be concentrating on this book, instead...

Congrats, Laura! Is the lens in question maybe a rather chunky 45mm?

Thanks Chuong. I'd have kicked myself for sure, if I let this one pass by without at least trying it out.

raboof wrote:
Great shot again Philippe.
Georg, I love #2 but the other two are also great.
Laura, cool PC shot. Congrats!

Tony, The studying will hopefully take me somewhere I want to be, so as much as it's dreaded, I've got to do it, and do all the subjects well, so that I can get bumped up that waiting list faster.

kings_freak wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
testing out a new to me lens that I just picked up this morning, not letting myself have too much fun with it at the moment, since I need to be concentrating on this book, instead...

Booo on studying. Yaayyy on the new lens!

–Tony

Thanks Ray!

MDoc9523 wrote:
Laura good luck studying and I love the angle of your shot!

Loverly, Georg! Hope you don't get traces of Winter Storm Nemo over there this coming week...

georgms wrote:
Some images from today:

today's soccer-match got cancelled - D700, 16/3.5Ai

from a walk around a small lake - D700, 16/3.5 Ai too
Maybe I re-process this one...

killing some waiting time between two sports-events - stitched pano - D7000 at ISO 4000, 50/2.0Ai at f/2.8

Ray, that background just melted away in the second one

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are the results from my Frankenstein 105P. The ultimate spring test F22 vs F2.5 I am thrilled!

Reagan
Total Posts: 2999

georgms wrote:
Philippe, beautiful work - as always! Is "the other 24mm" already in your hands?

+1 on the beautiful work

Reagan

Reagan

NightOwl Cat wrote:

Laura, name the polyatomic ions
you must be smarter than me Nice work

Reagan

Reagan

Georg, Nice photo with the 16
Did they even consider playing?

Beautiful colors Ray you did a good job

Reagan

Reagan

An afternoon outside at "Archies Seabreeze" a biker bar where only wealthy weekend riders show up
Good food,live music and the wife was happy
25-50

Reagan

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2978

MDoc9523 wrote:

Wow! That is very impressive! Makes me want the lens too.

saph
Total Posts: 2344

Laura, don't envy you, I started despising Chemistry when I ran into advanced Organic. Lots of hard work. What's the new lens?

Jose, Ray and Georg, thanks for critiquing the bokeh comparison test. The differences were subtle, though I also thought the 55 1.2 was the best (after a struggle, maybe my glasses need an update ) I agree that the rest don't slouch, under these conditions. I did wonder if I should have backed up the 55 a bit to get the same frame. Interestingly the 55 1.2S is my oldest lens about circa 1966, while the 50 1.4S is just a couple years younger. Ray, there maybe other factors that may separate the 50 1.2 from the older 50s.

Paul, very good to see your work again and what amazing work with those artists at the concert!! And a 11 shot panorama of a live band, and so well executed, very cool indeed!

Craig, great start in this thread and good to see those Badland shots. Certainly a place worth visiting some day.

Pburke, that first shot of the road going through the Badlands is the best of the set. Very nice.

Rafael, nice capture of the Filipino dancers.

Sam, that last image of the restful cat with bright eyes is precious.

Philippe, super use of colors and light, and never expect anything less And right, where's Ben?

Georg, I like the fisheyed tree pointing at the lake, as well as the snowy pano with the deep blue sky.

Ray, your Frankenstein's got good eyes for the flowers!!

Reagan thanks for the shots of people in shorts and half sleeves That 25-50 seems to be having fun on your D600.

Samy

kwoodard

Couple of recent edits that I wanted to share. I still am working with my black and whites, I don't know why I struggle as much... As always, please give me feedback. I take all constructive criticism, good or bad. I just want to improve.

Series E 28mm...

DSC_6162 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Had some fun with this one, little creative editing... The picture was kind of boring before, but I think this helps it a lot. Series E 28mm

DSC_6170 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Trying out the 80-200 f/4.5 as a portrait lens. I think it shows some promise.

DSC_6195 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

saph
Total Posts: 2344

Kevin,

The first one works very well, I like the lines and angles all going to the yellow side wall. Maybe a slightly different crop - at the bottom crop away the vent.

I guess the second is a look through a glass window, came out nice. The portrait is good with that lens, only thing might be the focus a bit away from the eye. That zoom range is just perfect for portraits.

kwoodard wrote:
Couple of recent edits that I wanted to share. I still am working with my black and whites, I don't know why I struggle as much... As always, please give me feedback. I take all constructive criticism, good or bad. I just want to improve.

Series E 28mm...

Had some fun with this one, little creative editing... The picture was kind of boring before, but I think this helps it a lot. Series E 28mm

Trying out the 80-200 f/4.5 as a portrait lens. I think it shows some promise.

Reagan

I agree with Samy Crop out the Vent.I also like the angles

Reagan

mp356
Total Posts: 4331

Reagan, really like the birds with the 105 and the D600. Now you just need a bit more reach.

Ray, the low angle view up the water trough is very nice.

Curtis, the Golden Gate in fog with the large rock is extremely nice.

Paul, great concert series.

Philippe, nice work with the 50 1.8. Nice colors and composition.

George, nice series. I like the second image of the small lake.

Great stuff everyone, hard to keep up!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6037

georgms wrote:
Some images from today:

today's soccer-match got cancelled - D700, 16/3.5Ai

from a walk around a small lake - D700, 16/3.5 Ai too
Maybe I re-process this one...

Excellent shots with the 16/3.5 Georg!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1467

Lieutenant Z wrote:
50 1.8 ais :

Philippe is an artist.

rafaelcasd

MDoc9523 wrote:

The 105 2.5s have the most beatiful bokeh. Did you mix elements or swapped the whole insides?

kwoodard

OK, cropped out the vent and updated the initial post I did... The wall should be green, not yellow...is it showing yellow to anyone else?

DSC_6162 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

rafaelcasd

Sorry for the long post, hope the gaiety and detailed beauty of the costumes and the dancers will make it worthwhile.
I normally do not post process many photos, but when you take 400 or so D800 shots at iso 3200 you are setting your self up for a lot of work, deleting, adjusting color balance, noise, exposure, contrast, crop, leveling, and it takes hours and hours. I am sure there are faster ways, I use NX2 not for being cheap but 'cause it does everything I want to do to a photograph.

Stop the whining, here is a few more teasers. I was there with approval from the organizer but when you show up with two cameras and lenses, the staff lets you right in.

The 50-300 on a tripod commands events, I did not wish for autofocus except for the Irish dancers, their dance is flying all over the place and it was hard to follow. Exposure was the real challenge, big changes in light intensity and distribution all the time.

At 3200, the D800 is very bad for noise at the pixel level, but with excellent color, and it is true, at smaller sizes the noise is not noticeable. Considering the time spent in post processing a D3, D3s, or D4 is a much better camera for this. The results may be a bit better from the D800.

A real plus of this lens is that it focuses dead on with the indicator light, no backfocus. Quality is best at 300mm and good everywhere. Focusing at the 50mm end is actually harder than at 300mm, the whole heavy front rotates but very smoothly.

All photos at full aperture.

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

You can zoom from this

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado islands Mexico 2 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

To this without having to refocus

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Mexico d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And frame the shots to perfection"

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300mm san diego D800 filipino dance by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas 3 d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Ireland d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival China d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

While getting this sharpness at 300mm 4.5, iso 3200 in the center.

nikon nikkor 50-300 ed ais san diego coronado world dance festival Filipinas crop d800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13175

Amazing what hat 50-300 mm lens can do Rafael. Wonderful set of images. Very well done!

And Ray, that old lens is definitely a winner. I was delighted when I first saw what my copy of the lens could do. The bokeh wide open is pure butter. Some folks may not like that, but I surely do.

Georg, I love the two shots with everyone's favorite fisheye. You definitely used it to advantage here. And, as always, excellent conversions. You may yet convince me that I need a copy of Silver Efex Pro II.

Wonderful to see you work on the thread Philippe, as always. I guess you have FOUR MF Nikkors in your kit now. Pretty sweet. The 50 f/1.8 is a little gem.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thank you all for the comments:
Kevin I like that crop a lot better, good work
Rafael these shots are amazing! Really nice work!
I only swapped the aperture ring and lens mount between the two lenses.

1       2       3              2552      
       2554              4306       4307       end