Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2550

1       2       3              2550      
       2552              4237       4238       end

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5948

Welcome Craig - and nice badlands shots!

John

pburke
Total Posts: 2052

Badlands - nice - I have a few myself taken there in 1989, 50mm f1.8 AI on F3HP, probably Eltachrome 100, or Fuji RD100, who knows.

Dawn lighting after sleeping in my truck somewhere along the road in the park. Today some ranger would probably kick you out.

the one below was west of the Badlands, same day, same lens, same roll of film, definitely used a polarizer, again with 50mm f1.8

Very same place with the 28mm f3.5 I owned at the time - polarizer (vignetting)

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13091

digitalthump wrote:
I've been visiting this forum on and off for some time and decided it was time to post something. The first two images were taken this past June in the South Dakota Badlands with a 24/2.8 AIS, both are single image crops. The second two are of my cat Sargent and they were taken with a 105/2.5 AIS w/o, I love this lens!

Welcome Craig! You finally did it.

I can tell from the positive feedback, your post total and the date you signed up that, like me, you came to Fred Miranda primarily to buy and sell. That is not an unreasonable thing to have done given how active that particular board is on this site. I was here for about six years before I posted a photo anywhere on the thread. i don't think I commented on anything but the Buy and Sell board and rarely on the Forum and Miscellaneous board. That ALL changed when I made the switch from Canon to Nikon AND bought the 105 f/2.5 AI-s that started this whole adventure for me. Probably eight thousand of the posts now in my total have come on this and other MF lens appreciation threads I started. Yes, there are a few on the thread I started in the Macro World that might also strike your fancy,
Shooting With Tubes that highlights use of extension tubes with ALL lenses, though I only use them with MF Nikkors.

I'm glad you joined us finally and introduced us to your cat. We have a few cat fanciers on this thread and we often see feline friends appearing. And landscape photos also have a place here. Of course, with so many talented photographers active on this thread we some a bit of everything appearing. Enjoy yourself and join in the conversation. We definitely are having a great time with these lenses...

digitalthump
Total Posts: 202

John, Thank you!
pbuke- nice images, hasn't changed in all these years.
Curtis thank you as well. My hunt for MF lenses has just begun, currently own the 24 2.8 AIS, 55 Micro 2.8 AIS, and the 105 2.5 AIS. I have the 300/4.5 AI in route.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2879

Nice shots Craig! Always heard about the badlands and want to visit there. Welcome to the addiction. Your 300 is on my bucket list for lenses.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4036

Curtis - great set and excellent conversions

Paul - excellent pics and great use of the light

Criag - welcome. 2 very nice images with 2 very good lenses.

I'll be away on the Cape west coast for a couple of days so will have a lot of catching up to do when I get back on Thursday.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1402

A teaser from the dance festival today. 50-300mm ED ais at 300mm 4.5, D800 at iso3200. Going to bed.

nikon nikkor 50-300mm san diego D800 filipino dance by Rafael CA, on Flickr

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2613

digitalthump wrote:
I've been visiting this forum on and off for some time and decided it was time to post something. The first two images were taken this past June in the South Dakota Badlands with a 24/2.8 AIS, both are single image crops. The second two are of my cat Sargent and they were taken with a 105/2.5 AIS w/o, I love this lens!

Welcome Craig. And what debut images! I liked the most these two.
And remember the motto over here: "kit building is forever"

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2613

pburke wrote:
Badlands - nice - I have a few myself taken there in 1989, 50mm f1.8 AI on F3HP, probably Eltachrome 100, or Fuji RD100, who knows.

the one below was west of the Badlands, same day, same lens, same roll of film, definitely used a polarizer, again with 50mm f1.8

Very same place with the 28mm f3.5 I owned at the time - polarizer (vignetting)

Fantastic images! If you like, the vignetting can be fixed easily in any good photo editor.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9279

kings_freak wrote:
I have 2 sets of the 603's. I use them along with 2 YN-560 II flashes at my wedding receptions. They sync up to 1/250th, but I will get the occasional black bar. I typically am shouting around 1/125th, so it is never an issue. The batteries last quite awhile and I haven't had any issue with range in the venues. Calumet sells a dome diffuser for the Canon 580 EXII that fits perfectly for $14.

–Tony

Thanks for the input Tony. I ordered the 603's yesterday. There's been something I wanted to try for a while now that needed either a trigger or cable. If it works, I'll share it.

leighton w

Paul Gabel wrote:
Been busy for a while, but I have seen a tremendous amount of awesome pictures on the thread, and many new people joining in. Welcome!
This week I went to a concert by Lonnie Liston Smith, a 72-year-old jazz musician who was persuaded to return from retirement by a band of enthousiastic young and very talented musicians.
Here are a few pictures, taken with the 135mm f2.0 ais and 180mm f2.8 ais on a D700:

_PG24167 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Paul

Paul, great looking set, being an old drummer, I particularly like this one.

leighton w

digitalthump wrote:

Welcome Craig. I see why they call them the "Badlands"!

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:
A teaser from the dance festival today. 50-300mm ED ais at 300mm 4.5, D800 at iso3200. Going to bed.

Very nice Rafael. Seems you REALLY like this lens!

Reagan
Total Posts: 2926

Paul, great concert series
Craig, Love the badlands the 24 is a great lens for that
and just what we need is more CAT photos
Rafael,beautiful light and sharp

Reagan

Reagan
Total Posts: 2926

Done with sunrise for a while maybe go to Lake Okeechobee for some sunsets this weekend

Last of them

Reagan

Last one is from this morning
Sorry about all the green in February

sbarricklow
Total Posts: 2094

Shot in the early '90s with a 50 mm F1.8 using Fuji Velvia.

David Antilley
Total Posts: 313

Paul Gabel wrote:
Been busy for a while, but I have seen a tremendous amount of awesome pictures on the thread, and many new people joining in. Welcome!
This week I went to a concert by Lonnie Liston Smith, a 72-year-old jazz musician who was persuaded to return from retirement by a band of enthousiastic young and very talented musicians.
Here are a few pictures, taken with the 135mm f2.0 ais and 180mm f2.8 ais on a D700:

Paul

I like the reflection of the keys in the glasses the first. Your colors are always great.

David

rankamateur
Total Posts: 851

Reagan wrote:
Done with sunrise for a while maybe go to Lake Okeechobee for some sunsets this weekend

Last of them

Reagan

Good doggie!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7697

Fantastic shots, although I think on this last one, I'd clone out the spotlight over his head, would be the only change I'd make.

Paul Gabel wrote:

_PG24167 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Paul

Welcome, Craig, and yes, I'm partial to cats myself, and these badlands shots make me want to go there this summer too.

digitalthump wrote:

Have fun, Peter.

Oosty wrote:

I'll be away on the Cape west coast for a couple of days so will have a lot of catching up to do when I get back on Thursday.

Can't wait to see the rest of these shots, Rafael. Now I'm seriously considering converting my dad's copy of the 50-300, as his is the 1970 version.

rafaelcasd wrote:

Reagan, I think you've found your groove. Do NOT sell this camera, repeat, do NOT sell this camera, it's definitely meant for you.

Reagan wrote:

Last of them

Reagan

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5084

saph wrote:
Ray, beautiful scene with the 35 1.4! Americo, nice pics, especially the kids, and good to see your daughter doing well.

Leighton, if polydactyl means too many claws I don't think so, although I should check again, maybe that's why there's so many scratches on furniture

Not too many ideas on what to do next since its the usual cold and wet outside, so I tried a comparison of the four normal lenses for wide open bokeh. Had been thinking about that test since Georg demoed that wonderful picture of the girl in the front and other kids out of focus in the back. I was going to line up some cat food cans at first, but they eat so much only a couple were left

Here's the 50 F2 HC, 50 1.4S, 50 1.2 AIS and the 55 1.2S from top to bottom..

Samy I think the clear winner here is the 50mm 1.4 There is so little difference between it and the 1.2"s that they are not worth 3 times the price!!!!
Thanks for the test I was really thinking about getting the 50mm 1.2

1       2       3              2550      
       2552              4237       4238       end