Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2542

1       2       3              2542      
       2544              3819       3820       end

saph
Total Posts: 2071

Maybe check out the HS-12, that one screws in. I am presuming you mean the 50 1.4 AIS.

I got hold of an HS-12 for the 50 1.2, which also has a 52mm filter. The front cap snaps into the inside of the hood so you can leave the hood and cap on together.

sataraid1 wrote:
I need a metal hood for my 50 1.5 AIs, but I'm not real keen on the "snap in" HS-9 hood. I like the straight screw-in hoods on all my other Nikon MF lenses just fine.

Is there a known equivalent to the HS-9, either brand name or genereic, that screws in?

While we're on the subject of hoods, what's the trick to shoring up a loose hood on a 300 f/4.5 EDIF? Mine is quite loose. I'd be fine with just running some gaffer's tape along the barrel, but there seems to be no way to get a strip of tape in the location where it could do any good. Is there a way to get the hood off for tightening?

Thanks in advance.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 1864

Thanks guys

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 11960

Inspired by Ronny I had to shoot a few today with the 135 f/2 Ai-s. Taking it out of the cabinet I'm reminded first of the fact it is one heavy lens. Then I'm reminded of what a fine lens I came upon when I finally went shopping. It is gorgeous! Here are two photos of leaves near my cottage, the first taken wide open with the 135 f/2 AI-s, the second with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with both a PK-11A and PK-12 attached. The 300 was set at f/5.6,

CGrindahl

saph wrote:
Maybe check out the HS-12, that one screws in. I am presuming you mean the 50 1.4 AIS.

I got hold of an HS-12 for the 50 1.2, which also has a 52mm filter. The front cap snaps into the inside of the hood so you can leave the hood and cap on together.

sataraid1 wrote:
I need a metal hood for my 50 1.5 AIs, but I'm not real keen on the "snap in" HS-9 hood. I like the straight screw-in hoods on all my other Nikon MF lenses just fine.

Is there a known equivalent to the HS-9, either brand name or genereic, that screws in?

While we're on the subject of hoods, what's the trick to shoring up a loose hood on a 300 f/4.5 EDIF? Mine is quite loose. I'd be fine with just running some gaffer's tape along the barrel, but there seems to be no way to get a strip of tape in the location where it could do any good. Is there a way to get the hood off for tightening?

Thanks in advance.

It required a little help from another NIkon shooter after I'd bought my 50 f/1.2 AI-s that came with the HS-12 lens hood to appreciate that it can be reversed. I just tried it on an S.C. 50 f/1.4 and it fits beautifully and is large enough to reverse over the scalloped focusing ring without difficulty. Yes, it is another option that will work. I wasn't certain what OP meant by "snap on" lens hood and so recommended the alternative that screws onto the filter ring.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 1864

Great shot Curtis

Can hardly not wait to test 135an on flowers,leaves etc.
likes to shoot such motives

little flower pictures that I have taken if anyone is interested
you may copy the whole link otherwise it seems it does not work .... sry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59004610@N02/sets/72157631604021200/

leighton w
Total Posts: 8617

CGrindahl wrote:
Inspired by Ronny I had to shoot a few today with the 135 f/2 Ai-s. Taking it out of the cabinet I'm reminded first of the fact it is one heavy lens. Then I'm reminded of what a fine lens I came upon when I finally went shopping. It is gorgeous! Here are two photos of leaves near my cottage, the first taken wide open with the 135 f/2 AI-s, the second with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with both a PK-11A and PK-12 attached. The 300 was set at f/5.6,

Interesting comparison. They both have nice bokeh, and personally I give the edge to the 300mm. But the color and contrast I have to give to the 135mm. Of course, this is just my opinion. Thanks for sharing this.

Reagan
Total Posts: 2754

I agree Leighton

I have my old TC 14-a on the way

Reagan

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4611

Reagan wrote:
I agree Leighton

Reagan

You could go broke buying back all of your old equipment

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4611

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Interesting comparison. They both have nice bokeh, and personally I give the edge to the 300mm. But the color and contrast I have to give to the 135mm. Of course, this is just my opinion. Thanks for sharing this.

I agree the 300 has a nicer rendering.

Reagan
Total Posts: 2754

MDoc9523 wrote:
Reagan wrote:
I agree Leighton

Reagan

You could go broke buying back all of your old equipment

Working on the 50 1.2 (maybe)
At least I am paying the same price as I sold it for

Reagan

CGrindahl

I'm just happy you're coming to your senses Reagan... Your work with the 50 f/1.2 was stellar. Excellent bokeh play for sure. Hope you're able to get it done.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 838

I certainly think one of us needs this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-IF-ED-800mm-F-5-6-AIS-Lens-w-Trunk-NEVER-USED-BEAUTIFUL-LENS-/271150794394?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f21d8c69a

Judging by the serial number this is one of the first ever sold. If this is to be believed then this was purchased in 1988 and has sat never used for over 24yrs. I would guess this thing was over 7K. How does one spend this kind of money and just forget about it.

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1016

Alan, congratulations on the soon to be new addition! The socks picture is creative!

Peter, it's been in the 20's for daytime highs, actually not too bad as far as winter goes, but yes, I tend to be indoors a lot, esp in the evenings.

Thanks for the comments Leighton, Georg, Reagan, Ray on the Truck and snow shots. Makes me glad that my attempt to convey cold worked for some of you.

Georg, very cool thinking on a shot and matching pp for "fresh, wet snow on a thatched roof"

Ray, that's brave with such old lenses, happy to hear it worked out.

Ronny, your seagull shot is giving Jose a run for the money in terms of sharpness and detail in bird shots.

Ron, that 800mm needs to go to one of the MF birders here, I think Jose already has one though.

mp356
Total Posts: 3967

CGrindahl wrote:

Very nice Curtis.

mp356
Total Posts: 3967

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
A couple of pictures

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

I like the colors and detail in this Ronny. Well done.

saph

I haven't reversed the HS-12 but will try that. I will fit the that hood on the 50 1.4S also, thanks for the tips Curtis.

In the meanwhile, a picture's worth a few words, so here's the 50 1.2 AIS with the HS-12 attached. Taken with the *new* 35 f2 OC at f 2.8.

Samy

CGrindahl wrote:
saph wrote:

sataraid1 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

It required a little help from another NIkon shooter after I'd bought my 50 f/1.2 AI-s that came with the HS-12 lens hood to appreciate that it can be reversed. I just tried it on an S.C. 50 f/1.4 and it fits beautifully and is large enough to reverse over the scalloped focusing ring without difficulty. Yes, it is another option that will work. I wasn't certain what OP meant by "snap on" lens hood and so recommended the alternative that screws onto the filter ring.

saph

A little bit too expensive, unfortunately. Justifying that is beyond my capabilities.

rankamateur wrote:
I certainly think one of us needs this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-IF-ED-800mm-F-5-6-AIS-Lens-w-Trunk-NEVER-USED-BEAUTIFUL-LENS-/271150794394?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f21d8c69a

Judging by the serial number this is one of the first ever sold. If this is to be believed then this was purchased in 1988 and has sat never used for over 24yrs. I would guess this thing was over 7K. How does one spend this kind of money and just forget about it.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1094

New purchase! always wanted the 5cm 1:2.0 S, not the H, this is the very first 50mm for Nikon reflex cameras, cannot be factory ai converted, now I have every 50mm design, but the ais 1.4. These are the ebay photos. Not in my hands yet, will keep the 5.8cm good company.

$T2eC16ZHJGwE9n)yUZlnBRCdZ5hCOg~~60_57 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

$T2eC16hHJHEE9ny2tlu(BRCdZooZww~~60_57 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

$(KGrHqFHJFQFDy13Jlh2BRCdZv23pw~~60_57 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Note the lack of screws in the bayonet.

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1016

Dawn this AM

fsiagian
Total Posts: 1725

Curtis, D600 allows me to manual focus better with my mf lenses again. Much better than the d7000. I tried using my 105 2.5, 180, and 50 series e that I still have, my keepers are not so bad. Giving me hope again.

It's much colder than Maine but I actually love those frozen lakes with people ice-fishing and skating (from inside my warm car and house). Once it gets warmer, I will go out and take pictures again. -15 to 0 these weeks are just too much for me

And you don't make it easier with your beautiful 135mm flower/leaf shot

1       2       3              2542      
       2544              3819       3820       end