Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2541

1       2       3              2541      
2542
       2543              4369       4370       end

CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

I checked serial numbers on the two lenses Ray and if photosynthesis is to be believed, both of these lenses use AI kit 6. I'll find out if that is accurate... someday...



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9584
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:
mp356 wrote:

Leighton, I like using the 28-50 in cold snowy weather so I do not have to make lens changes between 28mm and 50mm primes in the field. It is a sweet little lens.


You're right Scott, it is a sweet little lens. The only thing I find that makes a mark against it is that it vignettes a little on the wide end opened up on a FF. I didn't notice it when I had it on my D7000. Other than that I like it. I also like the hokey micro setting, comes in handy sometimes. I know this is blasphemous, but this lens, combined with the 50-135mm makes a nice little travel kit.


And when exactly do you go anywhere?

Hey man, I just went to Monticello last month!



Ronny _Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 2549
Country: Sweden

Thanks guys!
Great shot..Incredible pictures as you deliver all the time

Have a friend who wants to buy a Nikon 50 1.2 ais Used
Is it common with jammed focus rings and oil on the blades?
or any other things that you need to watch out for ?
Thanks in advance
Ronny//



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

Ronny, you always want to check to make certain the lens is in good shape. This lens is not reputed to have any particular problems, but you'd want to check the aperture ring to make certain there are sold clicks at each stop. The focus ring should be nicely damped, not too loose or too tight. You can take off both caps and turn the aperture ring while viewing the aperture blades to see they function correctly. If you're buying the lens sight unseen, you will want to be certain the seller is trustworthy. Photos of the lens can then be critical.

I've bought a great many lenses over the years and with a bit of care, I've never had a problem, whether buying on E-Bay, Fred Miranda or other websites. Common sense and careful assessment of both the product and the seller should get your friend where he wants to go.



Ronny _Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 2549
Country: Sweden

CGrindahl wrote:
Ronny, you always want to check to make certain the lens is in good shape. This lens is not reputed to have any particular problems, but you'd want to check the aperture ring to make certain there are sold clicks at each stop. The focus ring should be nicely damped, not too loose or too tight. You can take off both caps and turn the aperture ring while viewing the aperture blades to see they function correctly. If you're buying the lens sight unseen, you will want to be certain the seller is trustworthy. Photos of the lens can then be critical.

I've bought a great many lenses over the years and with a bit of care, I've never had a problem, whether buying on E-Bay, Fred Miranda or other websites. Common sense and careful assessment of both the product and the seller should get your friend where he wants to go.



Thanks .. yeah he is looking to buy on ebay and he was looking to buy new
from Hong Kong because it is not so many Used in Sweden
But he is a little unsure about buying from ebay ..
he was thinking about this this seller
If he does not find a Used in Sweden

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Nikon-AI-S-AIS-Nikkor-50mm-f-1-2-MF-For-D5100-D600-D3100-D3200-/251220684412?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3a7deb6e7c&autorefresh=true





CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:
mp356 wrote:

Leighton, I like using the 28-50 in cold snowy weather so I do not have to make lens changes between 28mm and 50mm primes in the field. It is a sweet little lens.


You're right Scott, it is a sweet little lens. The only thing I find that makes a mark against it is that it vignettes a little on the wide end opened up on a FF. I didn't notice it when I had it on my D7000. Other than that I like it. I also like the hokey micro setting, comes in handy sometimes. I know this is blasphemous, but this lens, combined with the 50-135mm makes a nice little travel kit.


And when exactly do you go anywhere?

Hey man, I just went to Monticello last month!


That's about an hour from Staunton, right Leighton? I enjoyed the photos, but did you actually take a zoom lens with you?



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9584
Country: United States

mp356 wrote:

Leighton, I like using the 28-50 in cold snowy weather so I do not have to make lens changes between 28mm and 50mm primes in the field. It is a sweet little lens.

leighton w wrote:
You're right Scott, it is a sweet little lens. The only thing I find that makes a mark against it is that it vignettes a little on the wide end opened up on a FF. I didn't notice it when I had it on my D7000. Other than that I like it. I also like the hokey micro setting, comes in handy sometimes. I know this is blasphemous, but this lens, combined with the 50-135mm makes a nice little travel kit.

CGrindahl wrote:
And when exactly do you go anywhere?

leighton w wrote:
Hey man, I just went to Monticello last month!

CGrindahl wrote:
That's about an hour from Staunton, right Leighton? I enjoyed the photos, but did you actually take a zoom lens with you?


You're right, about an hour East of us. I only took and used Nikki on that trip.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

I generally rely on feedback when using E-Bay and this seller has quite good feedback. Since your friend is willing to pay for a new lens the questions have to do with price, shipping cost and exposure to customs fees. The price quoted is considerably lower than what he would pay buying from B&H, which represents the gold standard when it comes to retailers. There also is free shipping offered by this E-Bay vendor. So it seems a good deal apart from the customs fees which can't be avoided if the lens is bought from outside Sweden.

Using Paypal and a credit card with E-Bay gives the buyer ample protection, but this person's feedback suggests there should be no problem. If the price works, your friend will have a gorgeous lens to play with. If he shoots with a Nikon camera, you may want to direct him to this thread. We can always use one more person from Sweden joining the conversation...



Ronny _Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 2549
Country: Sweden

CGrindahl wrote:
I generally rely on feedback when using E-Bay and this seller has quite good feedback. Since your friend is willing to pay for a new lens the questions have to do with price, shipping cost and exposure to customs fees. The price quoted is considerably lower than what he would pay buying from B&H, which represents the gold standard when it comes to retailers. There also is free shipping offered by this E-Bay vendor. So it seems a good deal apart from the customs fees which can't be avoided if the lens is bought from outside Sweden.

Using Paypal and a credit card with E-Bay gives the buyer ample protection, but this person's feedback suggests there should be no problem. If the price works, your friend will have a gorgeous lens to play with. If he shoots with a Nikon camera, you may want to direct him to this thread. We can always use one more person from Sweden joining the conversation...



Thanks Curtis
Well he is a Nikon guy and have a D800 so will try to lure him here



Ronny _Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 2549
Country: Sweden

A couple of pictures


Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 3051
Country: United States

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
A couple of pictures


Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr


Second shot...wow!!!



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 3106
Country: United States

2 very nice ones Ronny
FrankenRay at it again Now let's see some results
Ron, lets see the front side of your dog or is he looking for a cat


My new to me 25-50 arrived today It is the nicest one I have had so far and this time I am pretty happy with the focus and zoom ring dampness
Slapped my 72-77 step up ring on it to try and avoid the Vignetting at 25mm all filters cause it to vignette at 25mm but I only use them when I go to the ocean

Reagan



sataraid1
Registered: Feb 23, 2009
Total Posts: 46
Country: United States

I need a metal hood for my 50 1.5 AIs, but I'm not real keen on the "snap in" HS-9 hood. I like the straight screw-in hoods on all my other Nikon MF lenses just fine.

Is there a known equivalent to the HS-9, either brand name or genereic, that screws in?



While we're on the subject of hoods, what's the trick to shoring up a loose hood on a 300 f/4.5 EDIF? Mine is quite loose. I'd be fine with just running some gaffer's tape along the barrel, but there seems to be no way to get a strip of tape in the location where it could do any good. Is there a way to get the hood off for tightening?

Thanks in advance.



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 3106
Country: United States

Hey Scott, I can't answer your question but I sold you a TC 14-A a while back
If you ever want to sell it let me know I am looking for one again

Reagan



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

Lovely set of images Ronnie. The 135 f/2 AI-s is a great lens, one of my favorites even though I don't often use it. You might have inspired me to mount it and head out into this sunny day...



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

Reagan wrote:
Hey Scott, I can't answer your question but I sold you a TC 14-A a while back
If you ever want to sell it let me know I am looking for one again

Reagan




I hear about buyer's remorse Reagan, but you have seller's remorse... The answer is to STOP SELLING MF gear...



fsiagian
Registered: May 24, 2009
Total Posts: 1842
Country: United States

I miss my 135mm F2 too Great images Ronny.



raboof
Registered: Mar 04, 2011
Total Posts: 1534
Country: N/A

I have no feelings...

Great shots Ronny.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

sataraid1 wrote:
I need a metal hood for my 50 1.5 AIs, but I'm not real keen on the "snap in" HS-9 hood. I like the straight screw-in hoods on all my other Nikon MF lenses just fine.

Is there a known equivalent to the HS-9, either brand name or genereic, that screws in?



While we're on the subject of hoods, what's the trick to shoring up a loose hood on a 300 f/4.5 EDIF? Mine is quite loose. I'd be fine with just running some gaffer's tape along the barrel, but there seems to be no way to get a strip of tape in the location where it could do any good. Is there a way to get the hood off for tightening?

Thanks in advance.


You want the Nikon HN-7. Here is one for sale on E-Bay.

Nikon HN-7 Lens Hood



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13321
Country: United States

fsiagian wrote:
I miss my 135mm F2 too Great images Ronny.


Are you finally coming to your senses Ferdi?

Of course, anyone who would move to Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes and thirty degree below zero winters has perhaps lost his senses...

Just for you to know, these MF Nikkor lenses DO fit the D600 camera...



1       2       3              2541      
2542
       2543              4369       4370       end