Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2519

1       2       3              2519      
       2521              4304       4305       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 9456

***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Ray's sixth and last post with Nikki. Now it's off to John on the West coast!

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/01/rays-sixth-and-last-post.html

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13167

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Ray's fifth blog post.

I love the first shot Ray.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/01/rays-fifth-post.html

Thank you Leighton. Sorry to spring them on you all at once. I enjoyed my time with Nikki and will be sad to see her go

So the lens will soon be traveling cross country so those of us on the West Coast who have been waiting PATIENTLY while our friends have been having all the fun, will finally get our chance... Love the photos you've been posting Ray and have even tried to post comments... sometime successfully.

Love seeing your corner of the world Ray.

CGrindahl

I told a friend recently about the Great Lens Adventure and he was enthralled. He said it would make for a fine New Yorker article. That, of course, holds no interest for me, but it is worth noting we've created something special here that has established a bond worth preserving. Funny to think that it is manual focus Nikon lenses that is the glue holding this whole enterprise together... Of course, it is eternally the good will of those who choose to spend time on this thread that makes it work so well. When I started this thread I had no idea such a thing could or would happen. My intention was quite humble and to a large extent remains so. But I can't help but marvel at the fact others find this conversation so compelling. The cast of characters on this thread seems to change a bit with time, but every newcomer brings something worthwhile to the conversation.

Since "kit building is forever" it is possible this conversation will continue, at least so long as Fred keeps paying for the servers... Remember, an Upload and Sell memberships is a minimal investment to make in keeping this premiere photography website alive and well. And the participation of all of you keeps this thread soaring through cyberspace. Thanks everyone!

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
I told a friend recently about the Great Lens Adventure and he was enthralled. He said it would make for a fine New Yorker article. That, of course, holds no interest for me, but it is worth noting we've created something special here that has established a bond worth preserving. Funny to think that it is manual focus Nikon lenses that is the glue holding this whole enterprise together... Of course, it is eternally the good will of those who choose to spend time on this thread that makes it work so well. When I started this thread I had no idea such a thing could or would happen. My intention was quite humble and to a large extent remains so. But I can't help but marvel at the fact others find this conversation so compelling. The cast of characters on this thread seems to change a bit with time, but every newcomer brings something worthwhile to the conversation.

Since "kit building is forever" it is possible this conversation will continue, at least so long as Fred keeps paying for the servers... Remember, an Upload and Sell memberships is a minimal investment to make in keeping this premiere photography website alive and well. And the participation of all of you keeps this thread soaring through cyberspace. Thanks everyone!

For what it's worth, I submitted the blog to Nikon in hopes that perhaps they would link it or sponsor it in some way. I haven't heard anything from them.

If memory serves me, Tony in DC said something about a book, and I think he even volunteered to spearhead it.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Ray's fifth blog post.

I love the first shot Ray.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/01/rays-fifth-post.html

Thank you Leighton. Sorry to spring them on you all at once. I enjoyed my time with Nikki and will be sad to see her go

So the lens will soon be traveling cross country so those of us on the West Coast who have been waiting PATIENTLY while our friends have been having all the fun, will finally get our chance... Love the photos you've been posting Ray and have even tried to post comments... sometime successfully.

Love seeing your corner of the world Ray.

Thank you Curtis. I had bigger plans for Nikki but time ran short. So no beach or Tampa shots
I can't wait to see what you and John cam do with Nikki

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6034

Yes, I had not realized I was next. Need to start thinking of some cool stuff to image.
I don't have that focal length currently, so I'll have to improvise!

- John

jhinkey

CGrindahl wrote:

I think it would make a great National Geographic Article . . . .

CGrindahl

John always thinks big...

I've little doubt John that will the Pacific Northwest as backdrop that you'll find something worthy of shooting. Personally, I'd love to see one set taken at the Pike Place market. I'm assuming that place is still going strong. It is the kind of market most towns would like to see at the heart of their downtown. But, I admit it is almost forty years since I last set foot in Seattle. Have fun John!

jhinkey

CGrindahl wrote:

I've little doubt John that will the Pacific Northwest as backdrop that you'll find something worthy of shooting. Personally, I'd love to see one set taken at the Pike Place market. I'm assuming that place is still going strong. It is the kind of market most towns would like to see at the heart of their downtown. But, I admit it is almost forty years since I last set foot in Seattle. Have fun John!

Curtis -

I was thinking of a downtown series as well as something up in the mountains. A Puget Sound Ferry trip would be cool too. That would cover most of the bases around here - ocean, city, mountains.

I see that Brad in Portland is no longer on the list - I was looking forward to seeing his work.

Seriously though, this would make a fantastic Nat. Geo. article since it's around the world. Perhaps an e-mail to them suggesting the story . . .

John

leighton w

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Curtis -

I was thinking of a downtown series as well as something up in the mountains. A Puget Sound Ferry trip would be cool too. That would cover most of the bases around here - ocean, city, mountains.

I see that Brad in Portland is no longer on the list - I was looking forward to seeing his work.

Seriously though, this would make a fantastic Nat. Geo. article since it's around the world. Perhaps an e-mail to them suggesting the story . . .

John

Didn't I JUST say the other day that Curtis had a way with words....

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2973

Man, wish I could be part of the pilgrimage of Nikki, but I think my meager equipment and limited time to shoot wouldn't do the lens any justice. I have loved all the shots taken on its trip around the world and think a Nat Geo article would be awesome!

jhinkey

I just sent an email to National Geographic suggesting they look into the blog as an article for the magazine.

John

kwoodard

I took this a while back and after talking with another member here, I have been trying to understand histogram and how it relates to what we see in the pictures we take. I played with exposure, highlights, shadows, light and dark. I only played with these things and a bit of a crop, nothing else...everything else is default settings.

Series E 28mm f/2.8 ISO800 1/50

DSC_6157 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

What do you think? I have been told to monitor my histogram in camera, this shot most of the data was to the left side. Does that mean I am underexposing?

saph
Total Posts: 2343

Kevin, there's just a lot of dynamic range in there, so the oceans seem underexposed, but to expose them better you would end up possibly overexposing land. Especially some countries seem fine in terms of exposure. This would be a candidate for HDR I would think to get exposure right across the board.

My 2 amateur-hobbyist cents. There's a bunch pros here, I will be curious to see what they think.

Samy

kwoodard wrote:
I took this a while back and after talking with another member here, I have been trying to understand histogram and how it relates to what we see in the pictures we take. I played with exposure, highlights, shadows, light and dark. I only played with these things and a bit of a crop, nothing else...everything else is default settings.

What do you think? I have been told to monitor my histogram in camera, this shot most of the data was to the left side. Does that mean I am underexposing?

saph

That would be awesome if they did a piece on the blog!

jhinkey wrote:
I just sent an email to National Geographic suggesting they look into the blog as an article for the magazine.

John

saph

I will be contrarian on this and like the conversion and the grain. Somehow I prefer not to see the orange blob at the right, apart from liking the grain.

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Definitely the color version!

kwoodard wrote:
OK folks... I had enough people wonder what the hood ornament shot would look like in B/W. Since the Dodge is really old, I tried to give the conversion a feel like it was just as old as the truck (sans any scratches in the picture...)

Original:

B/W:

Taken with the Series E 50mm, f/1.8. Which should I enter into the contest? Tomorrow is the last day.

saph

+ 1 on this and also on Georg's pano of his hometown. Both very pleasing B&Ws of very different subjects.

Jorge, very nice depth of field on that city shot.

asiostygius wrote:
Foggy14 wrote:
I've been having fun playing around with a 1.8 ND filter. Here's a long exposure pier shot taken with the 28mm 2.8 with a high key b&w conversion. Cheers, Jeff.

Fantastic capture and conversion!!

rankamateur
Total Posts: 856

Fantastic shots everyone. I just read 9 or so pages. Amazing and beautiful.. I am on hiatus for awhile I think. Went to Longwood Gardens yesterday and after I got home I am ashamed to post an image. The wife took the Panasonic Lumix FZ150 and left her D7000 home. I took the D800 and the 16 3.5 Fish.. If it was a drag race she would have blown my doors off. She had Regans muscle car and I had a Pinto. My images were so badly metered it is just crazy and they just have no pop or crispness to them at all. Mistakenly I had it on center weighted but so what it really should not have made that big a difference. I am licking my wounds and regrouping.

jhinkey

saph wrote:
Kevin, there's just a lot of dynamic range in there, so the oceans seem underexposed, but to expose them better you would end up possibly overexposing land. Especially some countries seem fine in terms of exposure. This would be a candidate for HDR I would think to get exposure right across the board.

My 2 amateur-hobbyist cents. There's a bunch pros here, I will be curious to see what they think.

Samy

kwoodard wrote:

The oceans look like they are supposed to be black to me - so their exposure looks OK.

- John

kwoodard

jhinkey wrote:
saph wrote:

Samy

kwoodard wrote:

The oceans look like they are supposed to be black to me - so their exposure looks OK.

- John

Yes, the oceans are in fact black. It is one of the reasons I used this to try to learn a bit more. Did I do OK, does it still look flat?

1       2       3              2519      
       2521              4304       4305       end