Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2516

1       2       3              2516      
       2518              5889       5890       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Foggy14 wrote:
Leighton, gorgeous snow photos! I'm having trouble picking a favorite.

Philippe, very nice shots.

Samy, great birds.

I've been feeling a little rusty this week so this one kinda matches the mood. Cheers, Jeff.

I love it Jeff. Just look at all the colors in the piece of steel!

leighton w

Zichar wrote:
Thanks guys. Was perhaps a bit too ambitious with ISO 400 film to go wandering around the dark recesses of the market. Quite a few blurred out images either from user error or scene mismatch

That said, I love the film look, especially for streets and casual but can't quite justify the cost of developing and scanning (not to mention the weight from toting two cameras). The grains and the tones are just lovely for the scenes that I want them for; no sharpening too. Perhaps I need to relook at Silver Efex for their film effects

Here's the fish corner. I cringed at seeing so many sharks on the tables.
Funny, I never really remembered seeing those in such number when I was young. Was an extraordinary occasion if there was even one.
Now, sheesh, nurse sharks, even black tip reef sharks are for sale. And worse, tiny ones only 6-7 inches long. Why bother, who'd eat that? Bleah. Rant over.

order (Roll 4668 028) by Zichar, on Flickr

Chin, B&W works very well here. SEP works very well, but I feel like it's almost a luxury item.

leighton w

sbarricklow wrote:
Thanks Jose and to everyone who has commented on my previous posts.

Also, thanks to everyone who posts on this thread. I check for updates daily and really enjoy the variety and quality of the images posted!

Sam, welcome again. And don't be bashful with joining in the conversation. SOME of us are quite talkative!

leighton w

A farmers' version of an abstract!

kings_freak
Total Posts: 952

leighton w wrote:

Is that a cow belly? I had to turn my monitor around a few times, but I think I got it.

–Tony

kings_freak
Total Posts: 952

It was raining off and on here Thursday, so I took Nikki down the road to Lake Skinner for a few shots. The lake is about 5 miles from my house and I have actually never been there! Here is a link to the lakes website if anyone is interested. The foliage is still pretty dried up, but the clouds were awesome, so that made up for it. The little building is actually an old restored school house. I believe that it was built in the early 1900's before being moved down the road a couple of miles, onto the lakes property. Now it is an office for the preservation society. The last shot was on the way home, just a mile from my house. I actually had to hop a fence to get the angle that I wanted!

–Tony

Lake Skinner by T&J Photography, on Flickr

The Alamos School - 2 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Lake Skinner - 4 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Lake Skinner - 10 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Washington Rd. - 3 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

leighton w

kings_freak wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Is that a cow belly? I had to turn my monitor around a few times, but I think I got it.

–Tony

well... it's a belly, but NOT a cow.

leighton w

kings_freak wrote:
It was raining off and on here Thursday, so I took Nikki down the road to Lake Skinner for a few shots. The lake is about 5 miles from my house and I have actually never been there! Here is a link to the lakes website if anyone is interested. The foliage is still pretty dried up, but the clouds were awesome, so that made up for it. The little building is actually an old restored school house. I believe that it was built in the early 1900's before being moved down the road a couple of miles, onto the lakes property. Now it is an office for the preservation society. The last shot was on the way home, just a mile from my house. I actually had to hop a fence to get the angle that I wanted!

–Tony

The Alamos School - 2 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Lake Skinner - 4 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Lake Skinner - 10 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Washington Rd. - 3 Shot Pano by T&J Photography, on Flickr

These deserve to be looked at again. Great use of Nikki. The more I see from her, the more I want her!

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

^^^^^

+1

Reagan

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

Thank you Ray, Tony and Mark.

Tony, what a great set with Nikki, fantastic bokeh playing and awesome cloud scenarios!

More two mosaics from Pompeii houses.
Unfortunately better perspectives were not possible since the houses were closed with a door of iron grid.

Mosaic at a Pompeii house entrance (3) by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held through iron grid, ISO 200, f/5.6 at 1/250s.
It looks like a boar. ~35% cropped. One of the most well preserved mosaics.

Mosaic at a Pompeii house entrance (5) by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held through iron grid, ISO 250, f/8 at 1/125s.
It looks like a deer. ~50% cropped.

leighton w

Jose, I'm wondering, did they have a local mosaic artist do all of this, or did each household do it?

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Wow! Great shots from Philippe, Leighton, and Tony.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9316

Making a quick stop before I run out the door, congrats Leighton on getting unbooted.

leighton w

Thank you Chuong and Laura. I hope you can un-boot soon as well!

Here are a few from this morning, the light was quite nice. Let me explain the first one. When the snow starts to melt on the barn roof it curls when the weight of it comes off the edge. It has a nice curve to it that the shadow of the nearby tree followed. All taken with the 50-135mm.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

leighton w wrote:
Jose, I'm wondering, did they have a local mosaic artist do all of this, or did each household do it?

Hi Leighton.

It depends on your wealth. You could have an artist come in and do it, but you could also buy 'DIY mosiac kits' with stones and the pattern (these were especially used for the far reaches of the Empire so you could mail order a design from a famous mosiac artist in Rome who would never come to an out of the way place like Brittania.). Ikea for sure is nothing new.
Probably though in a wealthy port town most would be done by an artist in situ to show off.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

MarkdV wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Hi Leighton.

It depends on your wealth. You could have an artist come in and do it, but you could also buy 'DIY mosiac kits' with stones and the pattern (these were especially used for the far reaches of the Empire so you could mail order a design from a famous mosiac artist in Rome who would never come to an out of the way place like Brittania.). Ikea for sure is nothing new.
Probably though in a wealthy port town most would be done by an artist in situ to show off.

mosaic kit!

Zichar

Well, I spent my afternoon reading about Pompeii ... a lot of hurried Alt-Tabs whenever I heard footsteps near my cubicle

>>

Okay here's more of the market, thanks for the prev comments

Sells fruits

needle (Roll 4668 025) by Zichar, on Flickr

Sells shellfish, clams, cockles

warm hearts (Roll 4668 027) by Zichar, on Flickr

Sells beansprouts (yes only beansprouts - it's a local specialty)

famoose (Roll 4668 029) by Zichar, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Enjoying the BW shots Chin... street photography at its best. That is especially noteworthy when the photos depict another culture. This is what your world is Chin. As with the photos you produced with Nikki, this is a great delight to see. This is an interesting juxtaposition... a produce market inside a recent building with fluorescent lights. Not exactly how we experience what are called "farmer's markets" here. Right Leighton?

Well done.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Two taken with Nikki's older sister, the H version AI'd. I guess I'm practicing in preparation for Nikki's arrival. Love your work with her Tony.

Zichar

CGrindahl wrote:
Enjoying the BW shots Chin... street photography at its best. That is especially noteworthy when the photos depict another culture. This is what your world is Chin. As with the photos you produced with Nikki, this is a great delight to see. This is an interesting juxtaposition... a produce market inside a recent building with fluorescent lights. Not exactly how we experience what are called "farmer's markets" here. Right Leighton?

Well done.

Funny you should say that, Curtis! I've been mulling over how to describe the market to the rest of you, and especially to Leighton. I can only surmise that open air markets are less popular here due to the fickle weather. The tropics, it rains often. And the building's old-ish, older than I am, which makes it more than 30 years. I could have sworn it smelled rank then but on my last visit it didn't. Couldn't find any signs of improvement or renovation, perhaps the stallholders just got their act together.

That's not to say they don't exist here. There's a weekend farmer's market, out on a large carpark by the local stadium. Though I don't really remember if they still have that; may have just sold them to the middleman or the local co-op, who'd bring the produce mainstream.

There used to be a department store within the buiidlng's belly (the only one in town!) but it's gone the way many retail stores have. Taken over by the local government's office, where you get your passports done and renewed, amongst many other services.

1       2       3              2516      
       2518              5889       5890       end