kings_freak
Total Posts: 930

Thanks, Leighton and Samy.

傍ony

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2639

leighton w wrote:
pbraymond wrote:
Have not had much MF action lately, here's one from earlier this month.

Ray, I love the light and shadow with this shot, well seen!

+1, fantastic yelowish cast.

wapsijims
Total Posts: 21

Thank you Georg, Alan, John, Leighton for your lens wisdom.

In the MF category I have a 24/2.8, 35/2 (on the way) and a 105/2.5. I haven't been shooting MF glass very long at all. My son took a class for college and borrowed some of my AF lenses and still used them as MF. He 's taken some nice photo's and that got me started..... then I came across this forum and your inspiring photographs!

Jim S

asiostygius

wapsijims wrote:
There seems to be a few people asking about/adding different MF lenses here from time to time. I only have two so far, but plan on more eventually.

For all the "regulars" here, what is the lens you are most happy you acquired....

.... and which (if any) do you wished you hadn't?

Jim S

Jim S, I will comment briefly every lens I possessed since late 1980s.
Some I acquired recently due to the NMFAS which infected me last couple of years, guilt of the devil and his adjutants over here Take care!!!
Too many lenses, too little time to shoot... who knows after my retirement?

My subjective lens evaluations is from one (*) to (five (*****) stars.
Be warned that my main shooting is for wildlife, landscapes and macro, mostly biased for scientific purposes - I am not, by any means, an artist or street photographer. Except when indicated, most experiences are with D3, D300 and D7000 cameras. No D600/800 experiences yet.
Excuses for my truly bad English.

16mm f/3.5 F ai'd - newcomer to my collection, not enough time to evaluate, but already feeling the impressive sharpness others have experienced here.

20mm f/2.8 ais **** - I use it for landscapes, so closed down to f/5.6-f/11 it is sharp enough for me (beleive it or not similar to my ex 14-24mm f/2.8). Wide open not impressive. For border to border good performance it needs at least f/5.6.

24mm f/2 ais ***1/2 - Often maligned over internet, I liked the dreamy bokeh at f/2-2.8; needs at least f/8 for a good border to border performance (landscapes). I need to explore more this lens though. Excellent when reversed for extreme macros.

28mm f/2.8 ai (not the ais with CRC for close focus) ** - I had one in the late 1990s. Never impressed by the sharpness of this lens. Truly not in the same league as the 28/2 and the newer 28/2.8 ais.

28mm f/2 ai ****1/2 - As the other wide angles, use it for landscapes; interesting dreamy bokeh at f/2, performance from f/2.8-5.6 is better than the previous wide angles. Excellent when reversed for extreme macros.

35mm f/2.8 ai ** - I had one in the late 1990s. As for the 28/2.8 ai, never impressed by the sharpness of this lens..

50mm f/1.8 ai & ais (early version - long or stepped nose) ***** - excellent all around lens, exceptional for landscapes and good with tubes or close up lenses.

50mm f/2 ai ***** - same comments as for f/1.8; this lens, however, has only 6 blades rendering just 6 sun star rays. Sold my copy recently, because the complete overlap with the f/1.8 version.

50mm f/1.2 ais ****1/2 - a lot of solid glass, excellent for landscapes and with the bonus of dreamy effects at f/1.2-2. Unbelievably sharp already at f/2! In some circunstances (night lights), even with hood prone to ghosts. More than usable with tubes and close up lenses, but for that the f/1.8 is better.

55mm f/2.8 ais Micro ***** - phenomenal lens, almost a "zoom", since it is evenly good both at macro and infinity ranges! Excellent and flat field for macros including tubes.

55mm f/3.5 ai Micro ***** - same comments as for the f/2.8 - I saw no difference between these lenses except for the 1/3 slower stop.

85mm f/1.8 K ai'd **** - I like this lens a lot, since it is lighter (good for travel) than the f/1.4 and just as sharp with perhaps a slightly worse bokeh wide open to f/2. It has just 6 blades, so only 6 sun star rays.

85mm f/1.4 ais ****1/2 - another lot of solid glass, it feels good in the hand, better bokeh than the f/1.8 and 9 blades to deliver 18 sun stars rays. However, due to weight, not appropriate to travel light. I need to use more this lens.

105mm f/2.5 ai &ais ****1/2 - the legend, I had several ai & ais copies, finally deciding on an ai version, since focus throw of the ais is too short and built in hood too sloop. Excellent for landscapes and general photography.

105mm f/4 Micro ai *** - I possessed one in the 1990s and my general impression is that it was good for close ups and macros, but not so for landscapes.

105mm f/2.8 Micro ais ****1/2 - to my amazement I discovered that this lens is as good for macros as for landscapes; it feels more solid in the hands than the f/4 version and the extra f/2.8 stop is useful when we use teleconverters.

135mm f/3.5 ai & ais ****1/2 - excellent sharpness (perhaps better tan the f/2 version !) all around and excellent to travel light. It suffers from ghosts in certains circunstances (night lights) however.

135mm f/2 ais - not enough time to evaluate, but already feeling the great bokeh and it appears to work well with teleconverters. Its weight is a concern when we need travel light.

180mm f/2.8 ED ais ****1/2 - another legend, feels good in the hand, but not appropriate to travel light. Good with tubes & TCs and excellent bokeh. I need more shooting with this lens.

200mm f/4 ais **** - very good all around performer, already very sharp at f/5.6; good with tubes and for lanscapes. Good weight to travel light and good with tubes.

300mm f/4.5 EDIF ais *** - good all around, accepts very well tubes for macro, but contrary to the old 400mm, the sharpness is actually worse than the 300mm f/4 af-s I have (I beg you Curtis, don't bane me for this!!) It could be my copy.

400mm f/5.6 K ED non IF ai'd ****1/2 - Unbelievably sharp and contrasty for a 40 years old lens. As already reported here by John, this lens is sharper wide open in comparison with the 400mm f/5.6 EDIF. I noted also a little bit less CA than the EDIF version. The main drawabacks are the longer MFD (5m !) and the slower focusing of the helicoidal design (no problem for landscapes though).

400mm f/5.6 ai (narrow tripod collar) EDIF **** - good lens with a similar performance to the older 400/5.6 EE non IF at f/8-16, but worse wide open. However it has better handling and faster foscusing than its older companion. It worked very well with the Canon 500D close up lens.

500mm f/4 P ais **** - I possessed one shortly and decide to sell because similar performance with the 600/5.6. Now I regret my decision, because perhaps this lens would be slightly better with TCs.

600mm f/5.6 ais EDIF N **** - All around very good telephoto, excellent from f/8 to f11. CA can be a concern in some harsh lights wide open, but PP can fix it. I made sometime ago a comparison with the 600mm f/4 AF-S II and the older lens performed more than decently, just slightly less sharp than the newer design, but with less focus breathing. A tripod/monopod is mandatory

800mm f/5.6 ais EDIF *****- my preferred lens for birding, better than the 600/5,6 wide open (3 ED elements vs. 2ED of the 600 could be a reason for that). I feel this 800 works better than the 600/5.6 with all TCs (TC14EII, 16A, 17EII, 20EIII). Tripod is mandatory.

50-135mm f/3.5 ais & 75-150mm f/3.5 E ais (chrome ring version)
Probably **** (not enough time shooting both) - both excellent zooms, the first has better construction, but the second is lighter and accepts 52mm filters. I am impressed by image quality of both zooms, confirming their legendary reputation.

Some lenses I would like to acquire:

15mm f/5.6 f/5.6 (supposed to be better than the newer 15/3.5?!);
35mm f/1.4;
25-50mm f/4 (would be a perfect companion to the 50-135mm);
50-300mm f/4.5 ED (not only for shooting, but also to become a "de luxe" 5-30x spoting scope with a Nikon Lens Scope Converter);
a mint copy of the 400mm f/5.6 ED non IF to replace my battered one;
500mm f/4 ais P (I regretted having sold this lens ). Perhaps it would work better with TCs than the 600/5.6;
Rafael's 80-200mm f/2.8 ais ED

Well that is it Jim. I am sorry for the gigantic post with my atrocious English.

raboof
Total Posts: 1505

^ what he said

300mm f4.5 EDIF. I think that lens is sharp... but I don't have the 300mm AF-S to compare to.

asiostygius

Chuong, it could be just my copy, the N =1 for both lenses.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1465

kings_freak wrote:
We finally cashed in an offer from our friends to go out wine tasting this past weekend. First stop was Baily's Vineyard and Winery where we ate lunch at Carols' Restaurant and then did a bit of wine tasting. I had my first port and even learned how it was made. We then went down the road to Ponte for another tasting. We still had fun there, but it was too busy for my taste. I am not a fan of having to practically yell to have a conversation.

We were heading out the door to go home and Jen caught the edge of the mat by the front door and crashed pretty hard onto the ground. She scraped her knees and elbow and shattered the glass when she hit. They called for an ambulance since she said that her neck hurt a little, so she got a free ambulance ride while bolted into a c-spine. Not the best way to end the day, for sure. I knew that she was ok and that they were just being cautious, but at first I was pretty scared. You never like to see your loved ones go down like that. She laughed and told me to take her picture as they were putting on the collar. She totally gets me...

傍ony

Tony, sorry about the scare, glad no real harm done.
We (I) always miss PMs so here is an invitation posted: Want to come along early Saturday morning to photograph the implosion/demolition of the Chula Vista power plant? The city has opened the marina for the public, so we will photograph across some water looking south east, will need a longer lens 80-200mm, 50-300mm, or fixed focals but 400mm may be too long already. Will need to be in Escondido at 3 AM to beat the crowd, I will drive from here and also invite some of the photogs at my work. Let me know! If you come I will PM address and phone details, feel free to bring familiy or friends, my car has room for seven. I don't think we have other members in SOCAL do we?
Rafael

leighton w
Total Posts: 9454

rafaelcasd wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
We finally cashed in an offer from our friends to go out wine tasting this past weekend. First stop was Baily's Vineyard and Winery where we ate lunch at Carols' Restaurant and then did a bit of wine tasting. I had my first port and even learned how it was made. We then went down the road to Ponte for another tasting. We still had fun there, but it was too busy for my taste. I am not a fan of having to practically yell to have a conversation.

We were heading out the door to go home and Jen caught the edge of the mat by the front door and crashed pretty hard onto the ground. She scraped her knees and elbow and shattered the glass when she hit. They called for an ambulance since she said that her neck hurt a little, so she got a free ambulance ride while bolted into a c-spine. Not the best way to end the day, for sure. I knew that she was ok and that they were just being cautious, but at first I was pretty scared. You never like to see your loved ones go down like that. She laughed and told me to take her picture as they were putting on the collar. She totally gets me...

傍ony

We (I) always miss PMs so here is an invitation posted: Want to come along early Saturday morning to photograph the implosion/demolition of the Chula Vista power plant? The city has opened the marina for the public, so we will photograph across some water looking south east, will need a longer lens 80-200mm, 50-300mm, or fixed focals but 400mm may be too long already. Will need to be in Escondido at 3 AM to beat the crowd, I will drive from here and also invite some of the photogs at my work. Let me know! If you come I will PM address and phone details, feel free to bring familiy or friends, my car has room for seven. I don't think we have other members in SOCAL do we?
Rafael

I'll have them fire up the company jet and be there in the morning.

Reagan
Total Posts: 2994

If I had a camera I would go too

Reagan

leighton w

***** BLOG UPDATE *****

The blog is FINALLY back to normal. All the pictures are back up from Philippe's posts to the beginning. If you were affected please take a moment and look at your entries and if you see any mistakes let me know.

Just for the record I found out what happened. Apparently, any pictures you post on Blogger are stored in your Picasa account in an album. I was cleaning up images off of my phone and did not realize that it was syncing with Picasa. As they were being deleted off of my phone, they were, at the same time, being deleted off of Picasa and in turn Blogger! Anyway, I learned a lot with that mistake and won't let it happen again. Once again, sorry if you were one of the ones affected.

Leighton

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1465

leighton w wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
We finally cashed in an offer from our friends to go out wine tasting this past weekend. First stop was Baily's Vineyard and Winery where we ate lunch at Carols' Restaurant and then did a bit of wine tasting. I had my first port and even learned how it was made. We then went down the

傍ony

Rafael

Just jump on your fastest ewe Leighton. You have two days to get here.

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
We finally cashed in an offer from our friends to go out wine tasting this past weekend. First stop was Baily's Vineyard and Winery where we ate lunch at Carols' Restaurant and then did a bit of wine tasting. I had my first port and even learned how it was made. We then went down the

傍ony

Rafael

Just jump on your fastest ewe Leighton. You have two days to get here.

As stupid as sheep are, I'd probably just end up going around in circles!

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

pbraymond wrote:
Have not had much MF action lately, here's one from earlier this month.

Ray, nice lighting in this one.
Scott

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

Jim S, welcome aboard. You are getting some great input for Alan, John, Leighton, and Jose. There are some great MF lenses out there. We all have our favorites and many of them are the same. Looking forward to some of your work.

I am surprised Leighton that you did not mention the 28-50 AIS.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13162

I'm smiling broadly as I read lens evaluations from some of the usual suspects. Well done everyone!

Just for the record, Jose is not banned simply because he owns a defective 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF... Since the rest of your lenses appear to perform acceptably my friend, I'll assume the problem is NOT your eyesight...

I would say Jim, the the pure pleasure that awaits you with regard to these lenses, comes as much from the hunt and from experimentation as anything else. Folks among us have found satisfaction in just about every MF lens that Nikon has produced, though some, like cream, rise to the surface for most folks. Note for example, that folks who wish to travel light, might not place as high a value on a lens that others put near the top of their list. And some put a premium on going long while others enjoy the mid-range. We learn by doing, discovering how we prefer to shoot as we experiment with this or that lens.

You have a fine kit with which to begin. You might want to add the very inexpensive little gem, the 50 f/1.8 AI-s. Jose and I are fond of the older long nose version that looks like this...

I like the fact it has a double row of nubs on the focusing ring. This lens is a bit heavier than newer versions but is still very light. The AI of the older style has a longer focusing throw.

It amazes me how much I've learned in the almost three years I've been exploring these lenses. There are many folks on this thread who have much more experience with them than I do, so I've learned along the way from all of them, even as I've shared my discoveries along the way. That, of course, is what makes this such a marvelous thread. We not only get to see the world but also celebrate these fine, affordable lenses. You have a wonderful adventure ahead of you.

leighton w

mp356 wrote:
Jim S, welcome aboard. You are getting some great input for Alan, John, Leighton, and Jose. There are some great MF lenses out there. We all have our favorites and many of them are the same. Looking forward to some of your work.

I am surprised Leighton that you did not mention the 28-50 AIS.

I thought about that one, but there's only a few of us that use it.

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm smiling broadly as I read lens evaluations from some of the usual suspects. Well done everyone!

Just for the record, Jose is not banned simply because he owns a defective 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF... Since the rest of your lenses appear to perform acceptably my friend, I'll assume the problem is NOT your eyesight...

I would say Jim, the the pure pleasure that awaits you with regard to these lenses, comes as much from the hunt and from experimentation as anything else. Folks among us have found satisfaction in just about every MF lens that Nikon has produced, though some, like cream, rise to the surface for most folks. Note for example, that folks who wish to travel light, might not place as high a value on a lens that others put near the top of their list. And some put a premium on going long while others enjoy the mid-range. We learn by doing, discovering how we prefer to shoot as we experiment with this or that lens.

You have a fine kit with which to begin. You might want to add the very inexpensive little gem, the 50 f/1.8 AI-s. Jose and I are fond of the older long nose version that looks like this...

I like the fact it has a double row of nubs on the focusing ring. This lens is a bit heavier than newer versions but is still very light. The AI of the older style has a longer focusing throw.

It amazes me how much I've learned in the almost three years I've been exploring these lenses. There are many folks on this thread who have much more experience with them than I do, so I've learned along the way from all of them, even as I've shared my discoveries along the way. That, of course, is what makes this such a marvelous thread. We not only get to see the world but also celebrate these fine, affordable lenses. You have a wonderful adventure ahead of you.

Curtis, you do have a way with words!

CGrindahl

Some folks say I talk too much...

Thanks Leighton.

CGrindahl

Yesterday in the sun... Taken with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, wide open.

leighton w

I like the composition Curtis. When's the last time you had the 2.5 AI-s on?

1       2       3              2513      
       2515              4302       4303       end