Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2511

1       2       3              2511      
2512
       2513              5891       5892       end

kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Is Fisheye 16mm f3.5 AI better than the 16mm f2.8 AI ?


Bjorn Rorslett rates the f/3.5 a bit higher...


Bjorn Rorslett's Review of Fisheye Lenses

John Hinkey in Seattle introduced us all to this particular lens and gradually a number of us followed. In fact, I bought John's first copy of the lens. He subsequently bought two more which he has kept. Everyone who has used the lens has become a fan. There were only a bit less than 8,000 of the f/3.5 lenses made and of those a smaller number with the AI conversion suitable for modern DSLR cameras. The f/2.8 comes in close to thirty thousand lenses, and none of those were pre-AI. I doubt you would lose a great deal by going with the f/2.8. The f/3.5 has become a bit of a holy grail for folks on this thread.


+1 on what Curtis says.

I owned both the 16/3.5 AI and the 16/2.8 AIS. The f/3.5 is slightly better with flare/ghosting with the sun in the frame while the f/2.8 is slightly better with the sun just out of the frame.
The f/2.8 has slightly better sharpness in the center than the f/3.5 wide open (they become equal stopped down), but falls way behind the f/3.5 in sharpness significantly off-center. This was apparent on my D300 and D700, & I suspect would be even more so on my D800.

The 16/3.5 continues to be one of - if not THE - sharpest lenses I own, even on my D800.

Here's how this all started. Back in my D300 days I was looking for a compact WA and had read about this lens on Bjorn's site. I failed to win a bid for a 16/3.5 AI'd after searching for one for over a year. Six months or so later the exact same lens went up for sale on the local CL here in Seattle and I grabbed it - talk about fate! I since had moved on from the D300 to a D700 and the lens continued to amaze.
A few years later I had an opportunity to grab a 16/3.5 AI off of the FM B&S for a decent price so I did. I then sold my 16/3.5 AI'd to Curtis (it had a factory AI ring conversion, not a modified aperture ring). I then found another one locally that was in slightly better cosmetic shape (though identical in IQ) for a decent price so I grabbed that one as well.
As Curtis said I have the two now - mainly because I use mine a lot and I have this fear that I'll drop it someday and won't be able to find a replacement. I usually sell my lenses that don't get used much, but this is an exception.

It did take a while to learn how to effectively use this lens, but hopefully as I and certainly others have shown once you do learn to use it well it can produce stunning results if a FE is your thing. I particularly like what Jose and Georg have been doing lately with it. Monty is a master as well. Curtis doesn't use it as much as he should.

Time to get back to work.

- John

Awesome set John! Like I mentioned earlier, your shots were one of the main factors in me wanting to get this lens. It looks like the one I am getting was one of the last copies from that particular run. Mine is 276731 and the run ended with 276977, which means it was probably made somewhere in 1976. It's almost as old as I am!

傍ony



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Excellent shots John!
Here are a couple of my favorites with the 16mm 3.5






I remember these as well Ray. Good stuff!

傍ony


kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Here is a 16mm 3.5 for sale on Ebay BIN $385.00 It looks very clean and has factory AI. Seller has 783 FB at 100%
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-Nikkor-16-mm-F-3-5-Ai-Lens-Manual-Focus-/290874953717?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43b97f8ff5

That is a really good price. So good in fact, I just bought it! Thanks for the link Ray!

傍ony

Glad I could help Tony. I am so glad someone from here got that beautiful lens!!!!


That's what friends are for...

Well done Ray. It is comforting to know I'm not the only enabler on this thread...


Good that you have a 14 day return. This lens (and FEs in general) are very sensitive to marks/dirt/dust on the front element if you point it into the sun and stop it down. They seriously do show in the final image. I have to keep mine immaculately clean in order for any dust not to show up as slightly blurred portions of the image or unusual flare.

Hopefully this one does you well.

Also note that all three of my copies were way out of whack with regards to what the focusing ring says infinity focus is and what live view shows. So if I can't use live view I know where to set the focusing ring to achieve best focus either at infinity or closer for hyperfocal settings.

- John

Yes, the 14 day return is a nice addition. It will definitely take some getting used to, but I think it will be a fun lens. I will have to check the infinity issue that you are talking about and see if mine does the same thing. Do you have the newer AI versions or the older F model?

傍ony



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Is Fisheye 16mm f3.5 AI better than the 16mm f2.8 AI ?


Bjorn Rorslett rates the f/3.5 a bit higher...


Bjorn Rorslett's Review of Fisheye Lenses

John Hinkey in Seattle introduced us all to this particular lens and gradually a number of us followed. In fact, I bought John's first copy of the lens. He subsequently bought two more which he has kept. Everyone who has used the lens has become a fan. There were only a bit less than 8,000 of the f/3.5 lenses made and of those a smaller number with the AI conversion suitable for modern DSLR cameras. The f/2.8 comes in close to thirty thousand lenses, and none of those were pre-AI. I doubt you would lose a great deal by going with the f/2.8. The f/3.5 has become a bit of a holy grail for folks on this thread.


Ok .. Therefore, I was wondering is there a possibility to buy here in Sweden 16mm f2.8 Ai for about $ 450 .. prices are higher here with us than they are with you .. You have much bigger used market
ex: A Nikon 105 1.8 Ai-s in very good condition can be around $ 700


The price you quote for the fisheye lens is very good if it includes VAT. And given the price you quote for the 105, you would definitely do much better buying the one Tony has and paying shipping and customs duties. You'd likely spend $550 for his lens with VAT and shipping. But there are only so many lenses and so much time. I trust you'll add to your kit when and how it makes sense to do so. I'm certainly glad you've had the experience of shooting with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s. It is a great lens that incredible value for money.

+1! Buy mine!

傍ony



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

raboof wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Jose your Pompeii shots are just wonderful!


+1



+100!

傍ony



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

raboof wrote:
You probably saw another shot but this shot might make into a local hardcover photo book. I have to wait and see.

85mm f1.4






No, no, no!! I just bought a 16mm, I don't want to buy an 85mm! Seriously thought, this is a beautiful shot of your daughter. Good luck on the book!

傍ony


kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm really procrastinating with a long list of things on my to do list... that I'm completely ignoring. I've been bitten by the camera bug and playing with my toys. Rather than go to the bank, I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, with a TC-201 teleconverter and a PN-11 extension tube. Unfortunately, my effort to enter the correct information in the non-CPU register were for naught and these images show up as 500 at f/8, which was the lens last mounted on my camera.

Here are four leaf studies with the lens hand held but supported by adjacent walls.

The first and third shots are uncropped. I shoot with Auto ISO and here at 1/640th of a second. The third shot required ISO 2500, the fourth 1800 and the first two 1400.

Clearly with a rig this cumbersome to hand hold it is better suited for a tripod. We'll see how long it takes before I actually buy one of those...

Nice study Curtis. That is quite a setup!

傍ony



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
I visited an out of the way location to check photo possibilities. I'd first found it seven years ago when I was just getting serious about photography and rambled around my home town and the other towns in Marin looking for something fresh. That first time I had a friends Nikon 5700, a 5 megapixel camera with a rather profound shutter lag. It was my frustration with the shutter lag that motivated me to buy my first DSLR, the Canon Digital Rebel, 300D. But I got some good shots with that Nikon including six or seven at this particular location. The sun was setting... there was a bank of fog lying on the distant hill... colors were those of a lovely sunset. I processed the JPG files. I think they were about 1.5 megapixels. I posted one of those photos on Trekearth. It was well received.

It was perhaps two years later when I received an email from a person in the communications department of San Francisco Theological Seminary whose northern California campus is in San Anselmo. She'd seen the photo and wanted to know if the seminary could use it. It was a long, contentious negotiations that led to their licensing the photo for one year. At the end of that time they returned and we agreed on a three year licensing agreement. In the meantime the image had been used on a major recruiting campaign. They printed 10,000 brochures with my image on the front cover. The image now appears in a couple of locations on their website. The licensing agreement expires July 1, 2013 and I've contacted them about renewing it.

Today I found that in the intervening years a couple of trees have grown to the extent that the view I captured years ago is no longer available. But I did take a photo for old times sake. This was shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I converted it to black and white for the fun of it...


I've no idea whether they will renew the licensing agreement. I've made quite a bit of money off that rather humble photo. I guess that goes to show that being in the right place at the right time is a good thing.

Cool story! I always tell myself to take my camera, no matter where I am going, just for that reason. Good luck on the renewal!

傍ony



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

cadman342001 wrote:
A few with my new D800E and 50mm 1.8 ais. Just went for a walk around town during my lunch hour. SOOC jpegs.

(Waiting on the postman to bring me mint copies of the following - 105/2.8 micro, 20/2.8, 28/2.8 and 200/4 all ais)

The old courthouse. Now a pub !


The local rag



That's quite a collection you have on the way! You got bit pretty bad. This looks like a cool place to hang out.

傍ony



bruni
Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Total Posts: 1650
Country: Australia

Lieutenant Z wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks again Ben for your generosity in allowing all of us to use this excellent lens. Clearly it has inspired quite a number of folks to add this version or its older sibling to their kits. .


You are right. Ben is my new "Maitre penser" : because of him I bought a nikon 85 HC, a Nikon 50 1.8 ais, a Zeiss 85 P, a BMW 530, a Dassault Falcon 7X.....


Huh??!! This is crazy....I bought the 24mmPCE and the zeiss 85P because of YOU - not the other way around.

Haven't been out to take pics much lately - but if I was tempted AND I'M NOT - it would be the new zeiss 55mm f1.4 - bit out of my league but Phillippe, with the BMW and the Dassault Falcon - I'm sure you could swing it.

What happened to the nikon 24 mm f1.4 you were going to get? I'm still waiting for those shots!

ben



jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 8411
Country: United States

kings_freak wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Here is a 16mm 3.5 for sale on Ebay BIN $385.00 It looks very clean and has factory AI. Seller has 783 FB at 100%
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-Nikkor-16-mm-F-3-5-Ai-Lens-Manual-Focus-/290874953717?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43b97f8ff5

That is a really good price. So good in fact, I just bought it! Thanks for the link Ray!

傍ony

Glad I could help Tony. I am so glad someone from here got that beautiful lens!!!!


That's what friends are for...

Well done Ray. It is comforting to know I'm not the only enabler on this thread...


Good that you have a 14 day return. This lens (and FEs in general) are very sensitive to marks/dirt/dust on the front element if you point it into the sun and stop it down. They seriously do show in the final image. I have to keep mine immaculately clean in order for any dust not to show up as slightly blurred portions of the image or unusual flare.

Hopefully this one does you well.

Also note that all three of my copies were way out of whack with regards to what the focusing ring says infinity focus is and what live view shows. So if I can't use live view I know where to set the focusing ring to achieve best focus either at infinity or closer for hyperfocal settings.

- John

Yes, the 14 day return is a nice addition. It will definitely take some getting used to, but I think it will be a fun lens. I will have to check the infinity issue that you are talking about and see if mine does the same thing. Do you have the newer AI versions or the older F model?

傍ony

Both of my copies are the AI versions. There are some slight differences between the true AI and the non-AI versions that have been factory converted.

- John



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm really procrastinating with a long list of things on my to do list... that I'm completely ignoring. I've been bitten by the camera bug and playing with my toys. Rather than go to the bank, I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, with a TC-201 teleconverter and a PN-11 extension tube. Unfortunately, my effort to enter the correct information in the non-CPU register were for naught and these images show up as 500 at f/8, which was the lens last mounted on my camera.

Here are four leaf studies with the lens hand held but supported by adjacent walls.
The first and third shots are uncropped. I shoot with Auto ISO and here at 1/640th of a second. The third shot required ISO 2500, the fourth 1800 and the first two 1400.

Clearly with a rig this cumbersome to hand hold it is better suited for a tripod. We'll see how long it takes before I actually buy one of those...


Hi Curtis,
Lovely shots, I really like the simplicity and the way the leaf stands out from the black background in your second shot. I hope that you provide us some pics wih Nikki using your tubes.
Also glad that even an expert like you can sometimes come unstuck with entering the non-CPU information, makes me fell less bad when I shoot with the 28mm lens registering as the 300mm.
Hope you made it to the bank in the end.

P.S. Love the shot of the Seminary and great story on getting the photo liscenced. Hope they renew it and pay you oodles of money.



cadman342001
Registered: Dec 02, 2005
Total Posts: 4467
Country: Australia

kings_freak wrote:
cadman342001 wrote:
A few with my new D800E and 50mm 1.8 ais. Just went for a walk around town during my lunch hour. SOOC jpegs.

(Waiting on the postman to bring me mint copies of the following - 105/2.8 micro, 20/2.8, 28/2.8 and 200/4 all ais)

The old courthouse. Now a pub !


The local rag



That's quite a collection you have on the way! You got bit pretty bad. This looks like a cool place to hang out.

傍ony


Haha thanks Tony, had a spell with Canon mpe65 and 500 f4 but now back with nikon and couldn't resist



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

cadman342001 wrote:
A few with my new D800E and 50mm 1.8 ais. Just went for a walk around town during my lunch hour. SOOC jpegs.

(Waiting on the postman to bring me mint copies of the following - 105/2.8 micro, 20/2.8, 28/2.8 and 200/4 all ais)

The old courthouse. Now a pub !


The local rag

kings_freak wrote:
That's quite a collection you have on the way! You got bit pretty bad. This looks like a cool place to hang out.

傍ony

cadman342001 wrote:
Haha thanks Tony, had a spell with Canon mpe65 and 500 f4 but now back with nikon and couldn't resist


Welcome to the thread Andy. Looks as if you got it bad! I think you'll find a very friendly and helpful crew we have here. We also like to spend others money.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
I visited an out of the way location to check photo possibilities. I'd first found it seven years ago when I was just getting serious about photography and rambled around my home town and the other towns in Marin looking for something fresh. That first time I had a friends Nikon 5700, a 5 megapixel camera with a rather profound shutter lag. It was my frustration with the shutter lag that motivated me to buy my first DSLR, the Canon Digital Rebel, 300D. But I got some good shots with that Nikon including six or seven at this particular location. The sun was setting... there was a bank of fog lying on the distant hill... colors were those of a lovely sunset. I processed the JPG files. I think they were about 1.5 megapixels. I posted one of those photos on Trekearth. It was well received.

It was perhaps two years later when I received an email from a person in the communications department of San Francisco Theological Seminary whose northern California campus is in San Anselmo. She'd seen the photo and wanted to know if the seminary could use it. It was a long, contentious negotiations that led to their licensing the photo for one year. At the end of that time they returned and we agreed on a three year licensing agreement. In the meantime the image had been used on a major recruiting campaign. They printed 10,000 brochures with my image on the front cover. The image now appears in a couple of locations on their website. The licensing agreement expires July 1, 2013 and I've contacted them about renewing it.

Today I found that in the intervening years a couple of trees have grown to the extent that the view I captured years ago is no longer available. But I did take a photo for old times sake. This was shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I converted it to black and white for the fun of it...


I've no idea whether they will renew the licensing agreement. I've made quite a bit of money off that rather humble photo. I guess that goes to show that being in the right place at the right time is a good thing.


Curtis, I like this one better! You did an excellent job converting, hope you get it extended.



rankamateur
Registered: Nov 25, 2007
Total Posts: 877
Country: United States

mike-in-ak wrote:
However, you would need to remove it to adjust it. The original had a geared knob so you could rotate the filter while it was installed and you were looking through the viewfinder.

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can screw in any 39mm CP

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Circular+Sizes_39mm&ci=115&N=4077634526+4294955274

mike-in-ak wrote:
Curtis,
I had the 500 on a towel on the hood of my vehicle. And normally that works well but the vehicle was rocking because the person along on the trip to help spot wildlife got freaked by the bear and was scrambling into the vehicle.

There is no way I could hand hold this monster. Not even in my younger days.

I picked this one up used. I wanted a 500mm that was faster and had better image quality than my Reflex. Sadly, I still can not afford the AF version. But I would kill for the drop-in CP for this lens.




The only CPL that fits is the factory one. The B+W one will not screw into the holder and if it did it would be way to thick to slide back into the slot. The factory one usually goes in the $300 range. They are very very rare.



Foggy14
Registered: May 01, 2010
Total Posts: 1472
Country: United States

I was able to catch-up with the thread last night. Great stuff!

Samy, very nice street shots and the golden bell towers are terrific.

Curtis, Peter, Sam, Mark and Jim T., beautiful tube shots!

Georg, I love the composition of "University Hospital" and the "beach grab" was really well done. Nice milestone, I'm looking forward to seeing your millionth shot.

Chin, more dazzling work with your PC-E.

Jose, the Pompeii series continues to amaze. One of my favorites is the serpent wall painting.

Ronny, I like your street shots, especially the b&w. Great running dog photos!

Kevin, very cool abstract and flowers.

Americo, good luck with your analogue adventures. Glad to hear your daughter is recovering well.

Avi, great shots of the green bridge and the icicles.

Leighton, the second shot of Barbara's new crops is really nice. The snow shots are beautiful.

Mark, "small boy, big world" is excellent and the "fruit slices" is a great WA entry.

Philippe, great composition of "No Print."

Ben, nice street work with the 24mm PC-E.

Scott, I really like the "Woodland Frost" abstract.

Nancy, cool cat!

Ray beautiful work with the 35mm.

Tony, "out for a stroll" is really nice." Love the fog.

Ron, cool lens tools. Where's the hammer?

Mike, nice grizz! I'm looking forward to seeing your comet shots.

ddog, great golden!

John and Ray, beautiful work with the 16mm.

Chuong, great photo. Good luck with the book.

Rafael, I enjoyed the tile making shots.

Curtis, terrific shot of San Anselmo. I can see why they liked it so much.

Andy, I enjoyed the courthouse pub.

Leighton and Laura, good luck with the feet!



Zichar
Registered: May 13, 2009
Total Posts: 3761
Country: Singapore

Yay, finally got my roll back
Developed at a local lab then sent for scanning with a hobbyist (with a google drive download link no less!)
Not many keepers though, my first time with Tri-X

Trying to fulfil Leighton's wishes, to see more of life around me, the streets
This is taken in my hometown, a lil' town called Ipoh in Malaysia; at the dingy and dimly lit wet market (thought it was perfect, taking over Dean's duties heh heh)
I haven't been here for at least ten years and it hasn't changed nary a bit - just like I remembered it when I was a kid
Turned around and caught this old man walking through the lanes, surrounded by dried goods (scallops, fish, shellfish, vegetables, peanuts, etc - essential Cantonese culinary ingredients)



shrimp run (Roll 4668 024) by Zichar, on Flickr


Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4212
Country: South Africa

Leighton - no peace for the wicked with all that snow

Samy - love the cat

Mike - that's a serious bear! Love it.

Jose - thanks for looking. NIce shot of the mosaic hard to believe it was buried for nearly 2000 years

Curtis - the bee shot was handheld but I did do a machine gun shoot!Thanks. Nice exposure on the 16 mm although I'm not really a fan of the fish eye effect.

Your leaf shots are terrific - I can only conclude that you were a heck of a shot in your youth if you ever hunted

I also really like the seminary which is so classical that it could be in Italy.

Ray - thanks and excellent use of the 16mm

Choung - another lovely shot of your daughter

Mike - nice bird shot. I think you hit the nail on the head - the digital darkroom allows one to do a lot with this lens which IMO is underrated

John - the 16mm shots are stellar (no pun intended)

Tony - thanks for looking

Andy - Cairns looks good through your lens. Welcome - now we haveat least 3 aussies here I'll have to look up more Saffers!

Chin - good to see you back - nice shot

Rafael - you clearly gained a bit more altitude



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4212
Country: South Africa

At Keurboomstrand (50 km from home) for lunch. A couple of cropped panos with the 29 2.8 ai-d



1       2       3              2511      
2512
       2513              5891       5892       end