Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2509

1       2       3              2509      
       2511              5891       5892       end

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Great shot Chuong!!
Best of luck they would be foolish NOT to use that photo - priceless!

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Thanks Leighton and Ray.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

leighton w wrote:
Wonderful shot Chuong, good luck!

+1
This is a second version (?), as good as the first one!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Love the catchlight in her eyes Chuong. You really nailed that shot. Beautiful composition and luscious bokeh. Very well done! And good luck with the book.

We love this lens!

mike-in-ak
Total Posts: 223

Decided to drag out the Reflex-Nikkor C 500mm /8 and put it on the D700 for a couple of bird shots for practice.

I bought this new back in the early 80's shortly after I arrived in Alaska from Indiana and found that all my bear images were coming out as brown blobs on film. It was the only "long" lens I could afford.

D700 - Reflex-Nikkor C 500mm /8 - ISO 1600 - 1/1250

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

mike-in-ak wrote:
Decided to drag out the Reflex-Nikkor C 500mm �/8 and put it on the D700 for a couple of bird shots for practice.

I bought this new back in the early 80's shortly after I arrived in Alaska from Indiana and found that all my bear images were coming out as brown blobs on film. It was the only "long" lens I could afford.

D700 - Reflex-Nikkor C 500mm �/8 - ISO 1600 - 1/1250

Nice shot! Why do you think they were coming out as blobs? Was the lens not fast enough with the bears moving? I have thought about using one of these as a telescopic lens for night work, looking at the stars.

mike-in-ak

kwoodard wrote:
Nice shot! Why do you think they were coming out as blobs? Was the lens not fast enough with the bears moving? I have thought about using one of these as a telescopic lens for night work, looking at the stars.

Thanks!

My bears were just brown blobs before I got this lens. When I got to Alaska, all I had was an old F body with just a pentaprism housing and a 50mm /1.4 HC and a 200mm /4 AI. The bears and most wildlife was just too far away so they were just little fuzz balls in the pictures.

After my first trip to Denali and having all the images come out poorly, I went looking for a 500mm. The Reflex was all I could afford and it worked well and still does if you are aware of it's limitations.

This version is known for lack of contrast and with a fixed aperture you have to bump the ISO to keep your shutter speed up. It is easier now with digital sensors that will let you rack the ISO up. Back in the days of film, ISO 400 was about it.

CGrindahl

I'm really procrastinating with a long list of things on my to do list... that I'm completely ignoring. I've been bitten by the camera bug and playing with my toys. Rather than go to the bank, I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, with a TC-201 teleconverter and a PN-11 extension tube. Unfortunately, my effort to enter the correct information in the non-CPU register were for naught and these images show up as 500 at f/8, which was the lens last mounted on my camera.

Here are four leaf studies with the lens hand held but supported by adjacent walls.

The first and third shots are uncropped. I shoot with Auto ISO and here at 1/640th of a second. The third shot required ISO 2500, the fourth 1800 and the first two 1400.

Clearly with a rig this cumbersome to hand hold it is better suited for a tripod. We'll see how long it takes before I actually buy one of those...

asiostygius

Curtis, loved your leaf study set! What a lens + TC + tube combo!

mike-in-ak

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm really procrastinating with a long list of things on my to do list... that I'm completely ignoring. I've been bitten by the camera bug and playing with my toys. Rather than go to the bank, I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, with a TC-201 teleconverter and a PN-11 extension tube. Unfortunately, my effort to enter the correct information in the non-CPU register were for naught and these images show up as 500 at f/8, which was the lens last mounted on my camera.

The first and third shots are uncropped. I shoot with Auto ISO and here at 1/640th of a second. The third shot required ISO 2500, the fourth 1800 and the first two 1400.

Clearly with a rig this cumbersome to hand hold it is better suited for a tripod. We'll see how long it takes before I actually buy one of those...

Very nice.

Most days my hands shake too much for handheld.

asiostygius

Another bar at Pompeii.

Another bar counter with dolia at Pompeii by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd, ISO 250, f/11 at 1/50s.
This bar has a masonry counter with covered with colour marble mosaic and large built in terracota dolia.

Doors of the bar were probably locked when not in use!

Doors of the bar were probably locked! by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd, ISO 250, f/8 at 1/160s.
Detail of the same bar showing that doors were locked when the bars was closed.

asiostygius

Can any of you tell me what is the exact year of production of a Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 F Serial # 152594??
Looking at photosynthesis site
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105
I can guess it was made between 1962-1964, but I am not certain.

CGrindahl

Thanks guys. I noted Mike that with your bear you said semi-hand held, so I'm assuming that without a tripod you were using something for support. Up to 300mm, especially with this lens, I can comfortably hand hold without support, but when I shoot with the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF or either of these lenses with teleconverters I need at least something to lean against for added support. Your 500 f/4 has intrigued me since it first appeared on this thread in the hands of a fellow from Calgary, Alberta. But alas, I don't feel comfortable investing that much money in a lens. I don't tend to shoot long and the 400 seems to fit the bill. With both 1.4 and 2x extenders I can reach farther though at a much smaller aperture. I stole the 400mm lens for a price so low I'm hesitant to mention it.

Now, to the bank before it closes...

CGrindahl

asiostygius wrote:
Can any of you tell me what is the exact year of production of a Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 F Serial # 152594??
Looking at photosynthesis site
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105
I can guess it was made between 1962-1964, but I am not certain.

I think all you can do is guess Jose. Your lens is about 32,000 into a run of 52,000 lenses manufactured from June, 1959 to December, 1966. We have no idea how quickly those lenses sold in the different iterations created but I'm sure you can extrapolate from that information as well as I can. About sixty percent of 7 years and six months would be about four and a half years, which puts it right in the range you suggest, right at the beginning of 1964. My copy of the lens has a later serial number, 261114, which puts it somewhere around 1970. I paid $90 for my copy which has the Nikon AI conversion kit. Here is the photo used by the seller.

It is a pretty clean lens and I love it.

mike-in-ak

Curtis,
I had the 500 on a towel on the hood of my vehicle. And normally that works well but the vehicle was rocking because the person along on the trip to help spot wildlife got freaked by the bear and was scrambling into the vehicle.

There is no way I could hand hold this monster. Not even in my younger days.

I picked this one up used. I wanted a 500mm that was faster and had better image quality than my Reflex. Sadly, I still can not afford the AF version. But I would kill for the drop-in CP for this lens.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

leighton w wrote:
Very nice images on the last couple of pages everyone!

Laura, I can REALLY understand your pain.

We have about 12 to 15 inches on the ground and it's still snowing. I had to take my air boot off and replace it with chore boots for the first time in 3 weeks. Spent two hours snowblowing the driveway and around the hoop-houses so we could beat the snow off. So far everything is alright although we have lost power. I have the generator running to keep the new chicks warm and have some power in the house. The village we live next to has power so our internet is still up, for now anyway. Hope all my friends up North will be ok as this storm is heading your direction!

Hi Leighton. Don't over do it. You are getting the brunt of this storm. Up here no snow yet. Looks like it will pass south of us.

mp356

mike-in-ak wrote:
It cracks me up to listen to folks in the Lower 48 talk about winter and snow.

Do you get snow up there? Welcome aboard.

mp356

CGrindahl wrote:
mike-in-ak wrote:
It cracks me up to listen to folks in the Lower 48 talk about winter and snow.

But Anchorage has less snowfall on average than Syracuse, New York...

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

It definitely has more than San Francisco, however. I think I'll stay in California.

Hey, I finally made a list. Just missed the top ten.

mp356

asiostygius wrote:
Avi B wrote:
A few pictures of the icicles around the office from today.

D300 + Nikkor SC AI'd 55/1.2

Nice capture!

+1 Avi.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9319

So you'll be playing with it by Saturday, eh? Supposed to be in the 50's by then.

I've also got the 3.5, and the 2.8, still haven't tried a side by side of mine.

raboof wrote:
I too have the 16mm f3.5. I bought it because of Bjorn and John. I am very please with it and planning to learn about it more once all this white stuff is gone.

1       2       3              2509      
       2511              5891       5892       end