/forum/topic/929565/2508

1       2       3              2508      
       2510              4304       4305       end

Zichar
Total Posts: 3551

312srgnave2_05 by Zichar, on Flickr

georgms
Total Posts: 3455

Some shots from a short walk through my hometown, lenses of choice were the new to me 16/3.5 and the 180/2.8ED:

A very first shot with the Ai'd 16/3.5 - I love this lens so far ;-) Thanks to John for pointing me to it!
I've re-shot the same subject with some friendly tourists and sold the picture to a local paper.

I'm getting warm with the 180/2.8ED now ;-) a seagull waiting for seconds from the fishermen

a signpost with a vicious Viking stuck over it - nordic mythology as mission statement for soccer-fans

PRO Frieden ("Frieden" = peace)

raboof
Total Posts: 1507

Georg, congrats. I think I also have the same version. Here is one from yesterday with my 16mm.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2973

Zichar wrote:
Wow Jeff, the first one is amazing; colours, comp and the action. I'm super envious that you get to be near the ocean so often!

Kevin: Of the b&w shots I loved the back lit leaves the best. I find processing b&w shots very ... soothing and somewhat emotive; perhaps it's one less factor, the loud colours that usually find their way into my photos. Oddly, when I was in my b&w phase, I saw every scene through the varying tones ala the zone system. After a bit I learnt to develop my own style and was more aggressive with dodging and burning; manipulating the scene.
If you'd like, I could send you this mag I bought awhile back (just checked the shelf it's there!). That helped me a lot when I was starting out. Don't give up, the constant work and experimentation will bring you there, trust me, 10,000 hrs of practice and all that jazz Drop me a PM.

Oh and what was that Milton Bradley game with red and white counters?

I was just very frustrated at my work. More often than not, I was over prosessing my shots and they were turning into muddled messes. So I went back to my earlier successes to see what I did there and for new shots, tried to emulate some shots I saw here. Then I would go home and try to process them in a similar fashion. I had a slow day at work and read some tutorials that had images like the ones I took, with an end result similar to what I was after. Very little was similar to the process I had been using. Like the act of taking the photo, I found I had to change how I did my work flow. The first few attempts coupled with already being down on photography, almost shelved it. What got me out was going completely manual in my small kit. Making friends here has been invaluable as well. I am embracing the new way of previsualizing my shots, taking them, and the completely different workflow. It's different than what I learned in school. Perhaps it's because those courses were designed in the early days of digital and some allowances had to be made? I don't know... The way I am working now is very similar to how I used to shoot film. Don't know why I wasn't doing it before...

The game is the classic Connect Four. What is the name of the book? I would like to see if my library has it, save on shipping something if possible.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. It means a lot.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1093

Peter, Curtis, Leighton, Samy and Chin, thanks for the kind comments on the kite surfer shots.

Curtis, thanks for catching the horizon tilt in #3. I fixed it quick. Tilting things toward San Francisco can get you in trouble down here.

Philip, "UFO's" is a very cool shot.

Samy, great eagle photo.

Kevin, I really like you b&w's, especially "Negative Space."

Chuong, the greenhouse shots are beautiful and "Repunzel" is priceless.

Curtis, lovely portrait of Ansel and your god-daughter.

Rafael, really nice Euc and sunset shots.

Chin, I love the colors and composition of the tile wall photo.

Georg, very nice shots with your 16mm and 180mm. My favorite is the little gull with the boat in the background. Wonderful colors!

raboof
Total Posts: 1507

Jeff, that last shot of the kite surfers is my favorite. I like the angle and the anticipation of a storm coming and the waves.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13165

Mishu01 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Here is a photo I've posted before of Ansel, my friend's boy held by my god-daughter... shot with the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd.

Curtis, I love your pictures but this one is magic. Not only the IQ but everything in it makes it very special. Truly breathtaking!

I'm not a parent Mihai, but I held my god-daughter Claire when she was one day old. I gave her a teddy bear when she was two that she proudly told my partner when Claire was fifteen, "came from her godfather..." I know I hold a place in her heart held by no one else. She certainly is very special to me. I think as with the best photos we take of those close to us, there is love in the eyes. I believe it is in this photo of my 25 year old god-daughter who is now six feet tall.

This is my family of choice. I feel blessed that I continue to be included in all important events. I officiated at the wedding of the parents of this infant and have known the father since his was seven years old. He is now 32 and doing a post doctoral fellowship at UCSF as a biochemist. I love them all dearly.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13165

Beautiful fisheye Georg. What a remarkable lens. Granted, it is for certain situations only and by that I mean situations of our own creation rather than events. It requires a different vision to see possibilities that will utilize this lenses capabilities as you did with the shot above. Is it in as excellent condition as it appears to be? You're inspiring me to put the lens back in my bag...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9455

***** IMPORTANT BLOG UPDATE *****

It has come to my attention that there are some pictures missing from the Nikki blog. It seems to start about middle ways with Philippe's entry's and goes to the beginning.

Luckily all is not lost as I still have everyone's images on my computer. However there is a little issue with the way blogger works. If I try to edit an old blog, it publishes it to the top of the hierarchy instead of leaving it in the order in which it was first published. So this is my plan. When we are done with all the participants, I will go back and edit all the posts with missing images and they will just have to end up at the top of the list, unless any of you know of a work around with Blogger?

For those of you that this affected, please be patient, I will work on these posts as soon as I can.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9455

***** ANOTHER BLOG UPDATE *****

Good news! Although we still have the missing images, I have found a way to edit the posts WITHOUT them moving to the top of the list. Sooo...I will be slowly editing each post as time permits. Sorry for any inconvenience.

mp356
Total Posts: 4330

leighton w wrote:
wapsijims wrote:
Samy,

Thanks. I shoot a little of everything, flowers, landscape, wildlife, birds, mostly sitting except for the eagles at Lock and Dam 14 on the Mississippi (near where I live). Sometimes I shoot wildlife out of a blind and on a tripod/monopod. I was looking at a 600 f5.6 AiS. I currently use an 80-400 or 300 f4 AFS, but want something longer I don't have to mortgage the house for....

There isn't too else but the eagles to shoot in January in Iowa (no snow even). We did have a little freezing rain so I ran out and took these with my 105 Ai.

thanks again for the quick response.

Jim

Really like this one Jim. we're expecting some of that nasty ice today.

+1 Jim. Very nice.
Scott

mp356

Ben, thank you for the comment on the ice abstract.

Jeff, the kite surfing series is very nice. Really like the colors in the first and the composition in the last.

Georg, nice work with the 16 and 180. That 16 certainly is "w i d e".

Chuong, the tree taken with the 16 has very nice lines.
Scott

mp356

Zichar wrote:

312srgnave2_05 by Zichar, on Flickr

Chin, nice abstract. Is it wall tile?

David Antilley
Total Posts: 313

georgms wrote:
Some shots from a short walk through my hometown, lenses of choice were the new to me 16/3.5 and the 180/2.8ED:
A very first shot with the Ai'd 16/3.5 - I love this lens so far ;-) Thanks to John for pointing me to it!
I've re-shot the same subject with some friendly tourists and sold the picture to a local paper.

Interesting, is that a mixture of some new with some old architecture? I have been wanting to get back to Celle (we have a mfg plant there) as I know of an old “split” house. The house is mirrored across a court yard. I tried with a 24mm but it wasn’t wide enough.

David

Kenj8246
Total Posts: 11897

A few from the Waco Zoo...a real safari is NOT in my budget. Nikkor 400mm f3.5 Ai-S, Nikon F100, Kodak 400 film.

Maribou stork

Crowned crane

Male lion

Kenny

georgms

David Antilley wrote:
georgms wrote:

Interesting, is that a mixture of some new with some old architecture? I have been wanting to get back to Celle (we have a mfg plant there) as I know of an old �split� house. The house is mirrored across a court yard. I tried with a 24mm but it wasn�t wide enough.

David

David, many of these narrow houses have been re-built many times. They started as the rather simple homes of the fishermen and most of them are now used as family-homes with a small shop/pub or small vacation rentals included.
Hiring out holiday flats is an important economic factor for the locals.
As to split-houses - are you talking about "duplex-houses", two mirrored/symmetrical buildings sharing a central wall?
These duplex homes ("Doppelhaus") are fantastic subjects for a series - over the years some house-halves have been decorated with a fake timber-framework facade, while the other half is still in a rather shabby plaster-look and so on.

georgms

Kenny, very nice series from the zoo! Personal fav is the Crowned Crane.

georgms

Chin, I like the door-detail a lot.

Chuong, that tree is a fantastic subject for your fisheye. Well done! The plant taken with the 135/2 is very nice too. And "Rapunzel" is an instant classic - perfect!

Jeff, great series from the beach! I like the last shot the most.

Rafael, stellar work on the sunsets

Jose, your bird-shots taken with the 600/5.6 are fantastic.
Makes me wanna look for this lens, but I probably need a new used car first (probably in the same price-league like a good used 600/5.6 ;-).

Curtis, lovely double portrait of your god-daughter and little Ansel (he seems to be already in the adventurous age, judging his expression).

David Antilley
Total Posts: 313

georgms wrote:
David Antilley wrote:
georgms wrote:

Interesting, is that a mixture of some new with some old architecture? I have been wanting to get back to Celle (we have a mfg plant there) as I know of an old �split� house. The house is mirrored across a court yard. I tried with a 24mm but it wasn�t wide enough.

David

David, many of these narrow houses have been re-built many times. They started as the rather simple homes of the fishermen and most of them are now used as family-homes with a small shop/pub or small vacation rentals included.
Hiring out holiday flats is an important economic factor for the locals.
As to split-houses - are you talking about "duplex-houses", two mirrored/symmetrical buildings sharing a central wall?
These duplex homes ("Doppelhaus") are fantastic subjects for a series - over the years some house-halves have been decorated with a fake timber-framework facade, while the other half is still in a rather shabby plaster-look and so on.

I don't know if you would call it a duplex or not. The google coordinates are 52.623119,10.083105 in Celle. The address is Bergstraße 48, 29221 Celle, Germany. It's the Posthof. I think the builder has a sense of humor.

This is a better link. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23253455

David

saph
Total Posts: 2343

Here's couple more I found from a few weeks ago. Both with the 180 2.8 AIS, the second one could have benefited from a way longer fl, such as 400 or more.

In the second shot, the bird on the top right is I believe a painted stork. The one on the bottom left is either a blue or purple heron.

Samy

1       2       3              2508      
       2510              4304       4305       end